Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Glaucon

Prophet
>when ur being snooty but have to fall back on the acceptance of degeneracy to defend ur own degeneracy

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
:lol: When you're being snooty before running a check on whether you are in the right.

No biggie, it can happen to any of us.

Malpercio

Arcane
Anyone doing the bulk of development post-Breath of the Wild and not doing lots of systemic systems shit with weather and environmental interaction in their open world are going to look like they're behind the curve. I'm not sure you can really go back to not letting players just climb mounts in there way after a big hit game showed people how nice it was to be able to do that. Especially if your game is coming out a few years from now.

Ideally BioWare would get the fuck over themselves and take a look at what other people are doing. No fucking reason Dragon Age: Inquisition, a action focused game releases in 2014, should have such terrible action gameplay when you've got a hack and slash game like Dragon's Dogma out there and showing you how to do things like combat and giant monster fights in 2012. (And also showing you how to do things like character creation and a armor layering system) I get the feeling the praise BioWare gets from some review outlets, and the echo chamber that was their forum (and probably also NeoGAF) kind of stopped them from looking at a number of games that do what they've tried doing far better than them.

I wouldn't call DAI's combat action, it was more like... actually, who the fuck knows. It was a weird hybrid that barely worked.

But really, if Witcher 3 can win over ninethousand awards and even CODEX's goty and the combat is even worse than DAI's combat (That is still awful, mind you), can you blame them? I'd prefer if they fixed their quest design instead.

Codex Year of the Donut
Anyone doing the bulk of development post-Breath of the Wild and not doing lots of systemic systems shit with weather and environmental interaction in their open world are going to look like they're behind the curve. I'm not sure you can really go back to not letting players just climb mounts in there way after a big hit game showed people how nice it was to be able to do that. Especially if your game is coming out a few years from now.

Ideally BioWare would get the fuck over themselves and take a look at what other people are doing. No fucking reason Dragon Age: Inquisition, a action focused game releases in 2014, should have such terrible action gameplay when you've got a hack and slash game like Dragon's Dogma out there and showing you how to do things like combat and giant monster fights in 2012. (And also showing you how to do things like character creation and a armor layering system) I get the feeling the praise BioWare gets from some review outlets, and the echo chamber that was their forum (and probably also NeoGAF) kind of stopped them from looking at a number of games that do what they've tried doing far better than them.

I wouldn't call DAI's combat action, it was more like... actually, who the fuck knows. It was a weird hybrid that barely worked.

But really, if Witcher 3 can win over ninethousand awards and even CODEX's goty and the combat is even worse than DAI's combat (That is still awful, mind you), can you blame them? I'd prefer if they fixed their quest design instead.
DAI's combat is actually ok with the mod that lets you move while attacking.

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/1498

Rev

Arcane

In what universe TW3's combat is worse than DA:I's? It may not be that good but at least it works, while DA:I's cs is atrocious.

Malpercio

Arcane

In what universe TW3's combat is worse than DA:I's? It may not be that good but at least it works, while DA:I's cs is atrocious.

Not only TW3's combat doesn't work, but Geraldo controls like shit. DAI's combat is awful, but at least the main character doesn't move like a drunkard.

Either way, despite the atrocious combat it is apparently teh best rpg ever according to the critics and the fans, so of course people are not going to bother trying to improve theicombat of their games... or the itemization... or the encounter design.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Both game have shit combat,debating which one have the worst combat is....strange at best. It is like debating which tomato is have less worms in it. The difference is that one of those games have a decent game behind the shit combat and the other one is DA:I.

gruntar

Augur

DAI has the worst combat I have ever experienced in cRPG. Topped both Arcanum and Might&Magic 9 as far as awful combat goes. Dragon Age 2 combat was a pure joy and bliss compared to it. Worst part was probably an auto-attack - you had to set a key for auto-attacking, and character stopped auto-attacking if you performed any action, even moving two inches away. Funny part is they added that "future" in a patch, before you had to apply any attack manually, that's how retarded DA:I combat was designed. It's a pure cancer mixed with a vomit and a dogshit. Witcher 3 combat might be bad, but cmon bro, explain to me how DA:I combat is better.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron

Not only TW3's combat doesn't work, but Geraldo controls like shit. DAI's combat is awful, but at least the main character doesn't move like a drunkard.

Either way, despite the atrocious combat it is apparently teh best rpg ever according to the critics and the fans, so of course people are not going to bother trying to improve theicombat of their games... or the itemization... or the encounter design.
If someone put a gun to my head and said I had to play DAI again from start to finish or they'd blow my brains out, I'd pull the trigger for them.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
More and more people coming out of the closet as retards who don't know what they are playing.

Witcher 3 may be an interactive movie, but at least the player gets to decide on finer details of the movie's plot.

A comparison between combat is hard to make when one of the two games can be played in near-paused mode, and is played with henchmen, although with no party tactics to speak of.

The reason Witcher 3 is without a shadow of a doubt better is because first, it makes better use of its systems, however little difference they make, than DAI does of its systems, and second, just as importantly, its controls are more responsive. DAI is an utter failure both as a twitch combat action game, and as party-based rtwp tactical combat gameplay.

Ventidius

Arbiter
Both DAI and W3 are subpar gameplay-wise, the difference is at least DAI gives you more customization options by allowing you to build a party and to choose from a reasonably varied selection of classes and character development options. Meanwhile character customization in W3 consists of choosing between Geralt going full sword fighter, or complementing that exact same sword fighting either with a bit more potion gulping or a bit more sign usage. I can get people defending W3 for storyfag reasons(which is, at least, more than DAI has going for itself), but let's face it, gameplay-wise, game's bankrupt in pretty much every way.

bminorkey

Both DAI and W3 are subpar gameplay-wise, the difference is at least DAI gives you more customization options by allowing you to build a party and to choose from a reasonably varied selection of classes and character development options. Meanwhile character customization in W3 consists of choosing between Geralt going full sword fighter, or complementing that exact same sword fighting either with a bit more potion gulping or a bit more sign usage. I can get people defending W3 for storyfag reasons(which is, at least, more than DAI has going for itself), but let's face it, gameplay-wise, game's bankrupt in pretty much every way.

gameplay isn't just combat

Ventidius

Arbiter

gameplay isn't just combat

I know, that is why I added some criticism of the character development to that of the combat by other users. I could also add criticism of the awful, tacked-in, and empty overworld with Ubisoft-style exploration, and of the simplistic dungeons, but that would be overkill. Monster hunting quests are alright, I suppose, even though prep is only necessary on higher difficulties. It's still not enough meat in terms of core mechanics.

AwesomeButton

Patron
More and more people coming out of the closet as retards who don't know what they are playing.

Witcher 3 may be an interactive movie, but at least the player gets to decide on finer details of the movie's plot.

A comparison between combat is hard to make when one of the two games can be played in near-paused mode, and is played with henchmen, although with no party tactics to speak of.

The reason Witcher 3 is without a shadow of a doubt better is because first, it makes better use of its systems, however little difference they make, than DAI does of its systems, and second, just as importantly, its controls are more responsive. DAI is an utter failure both as a twitch combat action game, and as party-based rtwp tactical combat gameplay.

what is behind this autism to compare TW and DA

shits been going on since TW2

you people are fags.
I don't know, ask those who were doing it. It's ridiculous for me as well.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
witcher games have much worse fans than DA though

that counts for a lot in DAs favor.
I kind of disagree with this statement mate. Bioware fanboyz are really annoying bunch. The worst witcher fans do is down vote the video of some youtube cockroach,for don't liking the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's been a long time since I've seen an honest-to-goodness Biodrone. Though I don't really lurk places where they'd congregate thanks to Bioware killing their forums.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's been a long time since I've seen an honest-to-goodness Biodrone. Though I don't really lurk places where they'd congregate thanks to Bioware killing their forums.
They come out of the shadows when a new biowaste is released. There were a few that even defended Andromeda.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You can only appreciate how bad a game truly is after finishing it multiple times. That's one of the Codex Commandments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom