Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Rumors say that a substantial part of the Dragon Age team wanted to make Dragon Age: Origins 2 instead of Dragon Age: Inquisition, because EA gave them the creative freedom to make what they want after Dragon Age 2. They were overruled by other Bioware developers and the management.

No idea where I read that though.

Well...they won how many GOTY?

:negative:

J1M

Arcane
i literally only got through the game because there's a type of fighter prestiege class that lets you hurt yourself to do crazy damage, so I dunno how anyone who didnt pick that did okay. I heard the artificer was hilariously broken..or something. One of the archer subclasses, I saw a video of them killing a dragon in six seconds
Ranged rogue can turn combat into an interesting bowling minigame. (Line up piercing and explosive shots.) Against bigger foes like dragons the assassin subclass mark of death skill makes for interesting risk/reward/double damage.

Codex Year of the Donut
there's a mod that lets you move while doing damage as a melee
makes the game go from shit to still pretty shit but playable

TedNugent

Arcane
I appreciate how Bioware is now relegated to their own subforum.

Now, when I'm in the mood to muse about their ridiculous new games, I know where to go, but by the same token I don't have to think about them when I'm not in the mood.

I kind of assumed there was a new Dragon Age, I just didn't know anything about it - so now I know to check back in about 6 months and read up all the funny memes and read the Codex review.

Yeh

Final tally:

Main game is shit, nothing but missed opportunities. You see a lot of good ideas but most of them are wasted.
DLC is pretty good, actually made me care about what was happening in it which is impressive

What were
Yeh

Final tally:

Main game is shit, nothing but missed opportunities. You see a lot of good ideas but most of them are wasted.
DLC is pretty good, actually made me care about what was happening in it which is impressive

Like what? Real question. I didn't play it, but from what I saw of it I can't say I saw any good ideas in the final product. About the only potentially interesting idea I saw in Inquisition was the cut Keep system stuff they talked about a bit before release.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/fo...t-on-dragon-age-4s-development-possible-story

Former BioWare Writer Mike Laidlaw Sheds More Light on Dragon Age 4's Development, Possible Story
Mike Laidlaw talks about former plans for the Dragon Age series, and his thoughts on leaving BioWare behind.

BioWare's much-loved Dragon Age series is in a strange place right now, much like Bioware itself. If the games progressed as former BioWare lead writer Mike Laidlaw initially planned, where would the story travel? Laidlaw himself laid out some of his ideas during a conversation at GDC 2018. He also shared his thoughts on leaving BioWare behind.

Under Laidlaw's direction we might've learned a more about Solas, the elven apostate who played a large role in Dragon Age Inquisition (which Kat enjoyed) and its Trespasser DLC. "Post-[Dragon Age: Inquisition Trespasser DLC], there's obviously a route to go with the Solas revelations," Laidlaw says. "If you've played Trespasser, you will know what logically will follow." The idea of possibly following Solas into Dragon Age 4 is intriguing, as the Dragon Age games aren't direct sequels of each other.

Ultimately, Laidlaw felt it was time to leave BioWare behind regardless of Dragon Age's loose threads. "I wanted to try a new challenge, and I knew that [the staff reassignments] would change the date," he says. "I was going to have a very small skeleton crew, and I'm lucky because Patrick Weekes is an exceptional lead writer, Daniel Kading is an exceptional lead designer. There were two very veteran designers who could hold a vision, and it was going to move down to a very small team.

"I thought if I'm ever gonna go, this is the least disruptive time for me to leave. So I would be stunned if whatever plan I had remained completely unchanged."

Whatever happens to Dragon Age in the future, though, Laidlaw isn't worried because BioWare's respect for the series' lore runs deep. "The creative leads need to be present and guiding, and the team needs to do whatever they're passionate about," he says. "I don't have any fear that they'll change the world because there's a pretty deep respect for what it's done."

That's not to say Laidlaw isn't curious about the Dragon Age reboot. "Very likely they went through a redesign phase, that's pretty normal. And I've heard reboot, but I'm not sure what that means contextually," he says. "I would find it unlikely to be a new Star Trek kind of thing. It's more likely that the existing plans will be re-examined in light of existing leadership."

Given BioWare's focus on the upcoming Anthem, there's still a chance Dragon Age might get left behind, and Laidlaw would hate to see that. "There are so many more stories to tell. I don't think [Inquisition] was a perfect game. I think it was a game that taught us some really good lessons," he says. "However, I would be happy and proud to have been involved in all of the Dragon Ages at that point. I think it would be a shame to set the world aside at this point.

"[W]henever it's finished, it's gonna be weird. It's gonna be very strange because that was a significant part of my identity for the better of a decade. And yet I'm really enjoying what I'm doing now."

Frozen

Arcane
Summarized: If Lidfail was still in charge we would follow bald elf fagg (shocker)

and fuck his brains out in a 3 way orgy with a lady dwarf

Terra

Cipher
Yes, I enjoyed how respectful to the lore BioWare were when a Qunari started preaching to me about transgender nonsense. I felt fully immersed in the game world at that point.

Frozen

Arcane
And they morphed from Indians to horned beasts.
And elves become ugly with pig-like faces.
And by Inquisition all women (except Lilliana and fem Inquisitor if you spent 2h in char creator) were trannies.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm glad he was able to dig deep and come to the conclusion that Inquisition was not a perfect game. I'm guessing he gave it a 99.998 score out of a possible 100 on his personal ratings system. Not perfect, but so, so close! :P

Codex Year of the Donut
Whatever happens to Dragon Age in the future, though, Laidlaw isn't worried because BioWare's respect for the series' lore runs deep.
off the top of my head:

everything about qunari
intelligent darkspawn never appear again(I think DA2 made a vague reference to them)

timeline of dragon age 2 is impossible:
9:30 Dragon — DA:O begins… But so does DA2. Lothering is destroyed, Hawke's family(…ish…) flees.
9:31 Dragon — DA:O Awakening begins. Hawke reaches Kirkwall. Anders is somehow simultaneously in both games with Awakening obviously happening before.
9:32 Dragon — DA:O Witch Hunt begins. Anders is not present.
Anders is somehow in Kirkwall before Hawke is.

Frozen

Arcane
intelligent darkspawn never appear again(I think DA2 made a vague reference to them)

Intelligent darkspawn was just a one time thing, a failed experiment of the Architect(and he himself was like that probably because he is a magister that entered the golden city same as Corypheus )

Falksi

Arcane
I fucking hate that fucking slimy fat cunt. If any one person embodies the decline of modern gaming, it's Mike fucking Laidlaw.

Totally spineless, totally useless, full of shit and a master at talking up bags of wank which deliver absolutely fuck all of what they promise.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

Intelligent darkspawn was just a one time thing, a failed experiment of the Architect(and he himself was like that probably because he is a magister that entered the golden city same as Corypheus )
No, we don't know what happened AKA they probably forgot about it.
Some excerpts from Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 2 on it:

cmucv.png

(continues on next page)

wqniat.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They keep everything in internal wikis so they didn't "forget" it's just that they had no place in the plot of 2 or Inquisition. :M

Falksi

Arcane
I fucking hate that fucking slimy fat cunt. If any one person embbodies the decline of modern gaming, it's Mike fucking Laidlaw.

Totally spineless, totally useless, full of shit and a master at talking up bags of wank which deliver absolutely fuck all of what they promise.

Is he really that bad? I mean there's a video of him saying nice things about the witcher, and he did fight with EA to have party-based combat in a AAA series for a decade

Yup. The conference he gave stating that DA:I would return to it's DA:O roots was the last straw for me. Thought I'd have some faith in him to lead the project back to it's roots based on what he said, and instead he followed the fucking crowd like a lemming into open world/MMO territory.

If Laidlaw had any spine or bollocks he'd have stood his ground when bullied by the EA's suits regards game design to a much larger degree. He's a pussy who just looked out for number one, instead of having the metal which folk like Knowles did to stick to the principles which originally made Bioware so great back in t' day. One party-based win is insignificant when you think of all the fails which he's had.

Laidlaw is the embodiment of Bioware's decline.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't describe how cheated I felt in 2014 when I bought DA:I after believing the hype.

But to give credit where it's due, the suits did drive DA to the ground. We never got numbers but the likelihood is high that DA:I didn't meet expectations - read "investment figures". Maybe they should have listened to Laidlaw more or he should have shown more spine.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
you know ive never played any dragon age game. Should I bother with DA: Origins to tide me over until PoE 2 releases

Falksi

Arcane
you know ive never played any dragon age game. Should I bother with DA: Origins to tide me over until PoE 2 releases

It's generic, it's fiddly, it's got SJW undertones and it's flawed. But if you can live with that it's a cracking game IMO, and a definite yes from me.

Great banter, great characters, I personally loved the combat (play mage or duel-wield rogue tho, other classes are dull), great C&C, mostly interesting quests, absolutely LUSH music etc. etc.

Whilst CRPGs have been mostly hurt by the 3-D evolution, DA:O for me provides a template of how they could have evolved far better. Still plenty I'd change, but DA:O should hve been the first step to seeing CRPGs transgress to modern day audiences in the right way. Instead of the fuck awful way they have now.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
that sounds almost too good to be true... also I dont even knonw what SJW undertone means so that wont be a problem.

i will torrent it then.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's the only bearable of the three. The story and writing are on the fence between "cliche" and "classic fantasy themes", so depending on your mood you may describe it as one or the other. The combat is unlikely to amaze you, some sections/chapters are inventive gameplay-wise, others are a slog (Deep Roads).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom