Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Therein lies the problem - they should be making games which suit their strength and their vision. DA:I was wank, and a large part of that wank was because it was trying to be Skyrim. ME:A was wank, and a large part of that wank was because it was trying to be Skyrim/TW3 in space.

Bioware's first priority if they want to survive is to stop trying to copy others & follow trends, and start making games which makes the most of their talent.

Sadly they & the EA suits which order them about are fucktards, and will likely just try and meld DA:I with TW3
Anthem will be wank because they try to copy destiny!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Therein lies the problem - they should be making games which suit their strength and their vision. DA:I was wank, and a large part of that wank was because it was trying to be Skyrim. ME:A was wank, and a large part of that wank was because it was trying to be Skyrim/TW3 in space.

Bioware's first priority if they want to survive is to stop trying to copy others & follow trends, and start making games which makes the most of their talent.

Sadly they & the EA suits which order them about are fucktards, and will likely just try and meld DA:I with TW3

Linear cinematic games (with or without the hub structure people used to complain about them overusing) are a dead end saleswise, this is why they're chasing open worlds.

Falksi

Arcane

Linear cinematic games (with or without the hub structure people used to complain about them overusing) are a dead end saleswise, this is why they're chasing open worlds.

It's a diseased mentality which needs to change.

The fuckwits who are still championing looking for meaningless loot in copy-paste areas, & repetitive/predictable OW structures will soon learn.

It's not coincidence that Bioware's decline co-incides with them abandoning their roots & what made them good. Reminds me of when Metallica ditched the guitar solos because of the grunge trend.

The Open World fad is one which the tards are slowly waking up too.....

.....knowing Bioware, they'll release their OW masterpeice just as the trend-followers decide it's had it's day :lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's not coincidence that Bioware's decline co-incides with them abandoning their roots & what made them good. Reminds me of when Metallica ditched the guitar solos because of the grunge trend.

This happened back in the early 2000s and there's no going back, as Beamdog has proven whenever they make original content.

Falksi

Arcane

This happened back in the early 2000s and there's no going back, as Beamdog has proven whenever they make original content.

Mass Effect & Dragon Age:Origins still had core Bioware elements, and enough to make them enjoyable games IMO.

Earlier games may have seen them shift focus, but there was less emphasis on appeasing masses, and more emphasis on making a good RPG. However ME2/DA:2 saw the balance tip for me. Previously it was bareable minor shifts with core great elements still there. Now it's simply "appease mong masses" and said core elements are mostly an afterthought.

A few bits I've read from Brent Knowles highlted how the creative team used to have the bigger say in game direction, and that the direction DA:2 & the company were taking around that time was when the balance shifted from the good side to the dark side, and thus one of the main reasons he left.

So was it skyrim,cod or tw3 they were trying to copy with DA2? Was it the suits who asked for the characters to be written as to belong on a teenage soap opera? I feel we already got the full measure of beaware's "talent" there.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
So was it skyrim,cod or tw3 they were trying to copy with DA2? Was it the suits who asked for the characters to be written as to belong on a teenage soap opera? I feel we already got the full measure of beaware's "talent" there.

Fair point. It'd be a start, but yes there's more shit to sort too.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Sort of academic at this point. Bioware has little left in the way of their original talent and vision and their new talent and vision is anything but. The company is run by EA marketing, disaffected ex-bread corp execs, and unimaginative producers.

hellbent

Augur
Origin, Bioware, Bullfrog, Westwood, Maxis....all stripmined by EA over the years. :salute:

Once they've squeezed every last drop of loot out of the IPs they acquire, EA moves on to their next acquisition. Time will pass, and every so often, they'll roll out some shitty browser / tablet game developed on the cheap to get a few more sheckels out of name recognition (Lord of Ultima, Dungeon Keeper).

Iznaliu

Arbiter

What happened? They used to be a big thing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What happened? They used to be a big thing.

Years ago, Bioware stated their goal was 10+ million sales, which they've never been able to reach. Their player growth has stagnated. A contributing factor is Gamestop and the used game market scheme. People buy one of these linear cinematic things, play it until they're had their fill (which can be a few days, a week, less than a month), then return it, which is particularly bad when it happens during the first months of release because it means the used copies are cannibalizing the sales of new copies (the result of this is that quite a few console games get marked down far quicker than they used to). Notable Gamestop-busting titles have prominent multiplayer (your Call of Duties) or large open worlds with a ton of stuff to do in them (Skyrim, GTA; Skyrim was sold at full price over a year after release, GTAV is still marked at $40 even though it's been 3 years since it's been out on console, 2 for PC, the demand is still that high). Bioware's including attempts at both in the hopes of hitting that 10 million milestone.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Which is funny because DA:I sucked equally as much, it just had more sucky "content"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh was it? All I saw in DA2 was a second rate expansion that ballooned up into a standalone game as an easy cashgrab to tide the suckers over as DAI was taking a while to develop.

It would have been far less risky for that "second rate expansion" to retain the mechanics and feel of its predecessor. Instead we got a significantly more cinematic (they boasted about how DA2 had 2.5x more cinematics than Origins) voiced protagonist streamlined game with flashier combat where you were expected to just control your character while AI handled everyone else.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Oh was it? All I saw in DA2 was a second rate expansion that ballooned up into a standalone game as an easy cashgrab to tide the suckers over as DAI was taking a while to develop.

It would have been far less risky for that "second rate expansion" to retain the mechanics and feel of its predecessor. Instead we got a significantly more cinematic (they boasted about how DA2 had 2.5x more cinematics than Origins) voiced protagonist streamlined game with flashier combat where you were expected to just control your character while AI handled everyone else.

Because they wanted to have their cake (cheap sequel) and eat it too (cinematic feel).

Frozen

Arcane
Most of post-Origins problems could be fixed in large % if only they replaced lame Hawke and the stupid Inquisitor with your Warden.
The games would still be shit but more people would forgive them if it was a continuing story of something that begins as good (DA:O)

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Most of post-Origins problems could be fixed in large % if only they replaced lame Hawke and the stupid Inquisitor with your Warden.
The games would still be shit but more people would forgive them if it was a continuing story of something that begins as good (DA:O)

Your first sentence does not match up with your second sentence.

Frozen

Arcane
Long story short- reason why you are powerful in Inquisition would make sense, it was always a storyfag series of games with tranny sex- fix most story elements to passable and most people would like it, never mind mechanics (TW3)

GAMERANT
BioWare Creative Director Says Dragon Age 4 is Not Confirmed
By AJ Caulfield | Sep 17, 2017

When fans of the beloved Dragon Age franchise caught word that studio BioWare was working on a new Dragon Age game, chaos and excitement ensued. But now, those dreams have seemingly been dashed to a slight degree. Dragon Age creative director Mike Laidlaw has stated that Dragon Age 4 isn’t definitively set in stone just yet.

It began on Twitter, when a Dragon Age fan asked Laidlaw about the events of Dragon Age: Inquisition‘s final DLC, Trespasser. “Mike, is there a chance that DA4 starts before Trespasser, so Trespasser becomes AU? Or is [the] DLC ending canon?” user @LeidaPaleo questioned. Laidlaw responded simply: “DA4 is not confirmed. Trespasser is canon.”

The director continued to discuss the buzz surrounding the new Dragon Age title, which, despite previous media outlet reports, isn’t actually the fourth main franchise game. As Laidlaw explained, “There is a Dragon Age project happening. It is not confirmed as the fourth main game in the series. Many sites have run with the rumor.”

dragon-age-4-not-confirmed-creative-director-738x410.jpg.optimal.jpg

Some may view Laidlaw’s comments as going against ones he’s made in the past, particularly the instance in which he referenced a “theoretical game four.” However, this statement was in relation to BioWare’s proclivity for planning two games into the future for the Dragon Age series and not a reference to Dragon Age 4, with the full quote reading: “I could tell you what could be in a theoretical game five, if there were a theoretical game four happening.”

On the flip side, Laidlaw has also teased that BioWare is preparing for a new Dragon Age when he fielded a handful of questions about whether or not the team was working on another installment. It was a cryptic remark, in which he said “something was happening” with the franchise. When combining it with his recent Twitter clarification, one could easily surmise that the impending Dragon Age project in question is one outside the main series, perhaps a prequel or spinoff-style title.

Laidlaw is a BioWare veteran with nearly 15 years experience with the company, and previously took full creative direction for Dragon Age: Inquisition, so it’s evident that he will have a major hand in whatever game is next added to the franchise – Dragon Age 4, secret side project, or otherwise.

The next Dragon Age game hasn’t yet been confirmed.
[src]

Stainless Veteran Haha, my thread title only says "New Dragon Age"! Still accurate.
I don't dispute that. It's just interesting that after the crash and burn of Mass Effect franchise, Dragon Age is their last big name, and Laidlaw blatantly states that the new game won't be a fourth entry in the series. Granted, it could still be a prequel, or soft reboot, but still, it can indicate that Bio is in even more shit than we initially thought. One can hope, anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom