Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You should have just made a barb. They are not passive.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You should vote on my blog poll: barbarian isn't winning, and that's just wrong.

Playing Weapon Master in Swordflight atm. She's doing ok (when buffed to hell):

Already voted. Think mine was the first vote for barbarian.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
I think I'll make a spellsword for my upcoming playthrough Sorc 26/Pal 4/ RDD 10 seems to the optimal split. Anyone had a good experience making a spellsword?

I'm always much too lazy to play a pure wiz/sorc even though people say these classes are the best.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I wanted to play Swordflight 3 but didn't have a save, so I started with 1 and am currently almost at the end of 2.
Rogue 2/Ranger 1/ Cleric 13 at the moment. Taking that one ranger level to gain access to the fighter and ranger class quest. The fighter quest was definitely not worth it (zero loot and only little XP) and the ranger quest never triggered. Why?
According to the walkthru you should get to a special zone with a raided caravan when leaving the city for the first time but that never happened. Tried it several times.

So, with the ranger quest inaccessible that one ranger level really didn't pay off. Under these circumstances it would have been better to pick a lvl of bard to be able to use all arcane scrolls and gain access to the mage quest which if nothing else would have resulted in a bard's ring useful for that inane bard genasi chick.

FFS I'm furious because the ranger quest didn't trigger, poor quality product

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wouldn't say I have a favored class, I like most of them because they are different. I do have disfavored ones, though, which are either boring, like fighter (only worth picking up for wep specializations or feat-starved builds), Harper Scout, maaaybe Champion of Torm (almost indistinguishable from paladin), or are simply disappointing in the way they are implemented, like Shifter, Pale Master, Purple Dragon Knight. Pale Master is an odd one, it's not bad or anything, but you either have to go ham on it to get a proper minion or you have to go into it at high levels when you already have enough spell circles, or pick it up for its free defensive feats and cool skeletal arm. A far cry from its "kinda like a lich, but not really" undead necromancer theme.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

VentilatorOfDoom Will see if I can get a solution for you from Rogueknight.

boring, like fighter (only worth picking up for wep specializations or feat-starved builds)

Fighter is worth dipping back into for epic feats. I generally play "thug-rogues" (rogues that wield heavy weapon and wear heavy armor, going for knockdown sneak attacks and stuff.)

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
thanks, but i don't know if I can still do it, because I just returned from the aranea base, just after the fight vs the wererats leader in the sewers, I have no idea if I can leave the city again or if I'm already in that part when you're funneled into endgame and can no longer freely explore, I think earlier the game already gave me a warning about doing all side missions first before proceeding with the main quest, it's probably too late

rogueknight333

Arbiter
thanks, but i don't know if I can still do it, because I just returned from the aranea base, just after the fight vs the wererats leader in the sewers, I have no idea if I can leave the city again or if I'm already in that part when you're funneled into endgame and can no longer freely explore, I think earlier the game already gave me a warning about doing all side missions first before proceeding with the main quest, it's probably too late

I looked into this at Lilura's request, and it turns out there is a bug in the script checking your classes. For the quest to activate, your combined levels in
Barbarian, Ranger and Druid need to be greater than 1 (not greater than or equal as it should have been). Sorry about that. I will update the module to correct this error when I have time.

At this point you would be a bit over-leveled for it, but you could still complete the quest if you really want to, particularly if you have not yet begun the final quest in the Zekar tower. Use the following procedure:

1)Hit the tilda key ("~"), and type:

DebugMode 1

and hit enter.

2) Type:

SetVarModInt WILDQUEST 1

and hit enter. You can also use the command "GetVarModInt WILDQUEST" to make sure the variable is set correctly.

3) Type:

dm_movetoarea ambushzone007

and hit enter. This will transport you to the region where the Wilderness quest takes place. By default it will place you in the southwest corner of the area, not on the road you would normally enter by, but that does not really matter in this case, you will be close enough.

4) Type:

DebugMode 0

and hit enter, to leave Debug Mode. Probably not a good idea to stay in it during normal play, as it can interfere with some things.

5) When you have completed the quest you may need to return to DebugMode and type:

dm_movetoarea calimport008

and hit enter, to return to the Calimport Gates district. IIRC correctly the usual transition might not work properly at that stage of the main quest.

Last edited:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Thanks rogueknight333 for the solution, will try it when I come home from wörk. Grats on your well-done Swordflight series although your zero bags of holding racism against low strength wizards is greatly disturbing.
Welcome on the Codex.

Well I had been playing Darkness over Daggerford which is the last real cancelled DLC for NWN. I'm putting a pause on it for now, maybe I'm just sick of the NWN engine after the last sixty hours plus in the last month has worn me down.

I made a decision to place NWN on hold for a years time and will swing back around to it and see how it fairs.

Beyond that I have started a Aasimar Paladin play through of Neverwinter Nights 2, I managed to get the collectors edition physical box from NA ( love collecting software ), and the guides from someone in Edmonton for cheap.

Surprising I am finding NWN2 refreshing. It's nice to see voice overs, cinematic style dialog scenes, wonderful lighting, and with all the mods I have on it looks really decent. Plus having a full party is really nice to have that group feeling back in a DnD game, instead of single character, and a companion that really doesn't do shit half of the time.

Fought with the camera for a good twenty minutes, remapping keys, and now it works wonderfully. Honestly I think for single player adventures NWN 2 seems to have it all.

I looked forward to the entire OC, Mask, Storm, West Gate, Baldurs Gate, Pools, and Icewind dale playthroughs.

Jason Liang

Arcane
There's a reason why no one recommends Darkness over Daggerford. It's just a spec demo. It's one of the only modules so poorly implemented that I wish I could refund my time spent to finish it. All that wasted time for a lousy amulet...

Champion of Torm is very different than paladin. It's way better. It has more flexible alignment requirements, and it isn't dependent on CHA like Paladin. It has two superior saving throws instead of one. Oh and you get the free combat feats just like fighters do. And if your build doesn't need combat feats, you can always take the levels in Epic for Greater Wisdom feats.

I don't really have much to say about the 11 basic classes- they are well defined. A couple are better than the others- Druid, Cleric, Rogue and lastly Fighter- but each has a niche. The prestige classes are all over the place, the worst for me is Red Dragon Disciple. If I want to turn into a Dragon at will, I'll take Shifter or Sorcerer, thanks.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

There's a reason why no one recommends Darkness over Daggerford. It's just a spec demo.

Sort of true, but I liked the World Map with waylays a la BG. Might be the only NWN1 campaign with one. I wish more campaigns would implement a world map, but they don't.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, CoT is just a better paladin, that's what I mean. It doesn't give access to cleric spells afair, though.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
No, you said it was "almost indistinguishable", when it's actually a notable jump in power. Take it from someone who played CoT in Aielund Saga, and read Savant's comments on its OPness.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I meant it in a thematic sense, not power level. Taking fighter levels also boosts your melee power, but that doesn't mean it's a very engaging class.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Of course you did, but no one cares. It's a prestige class that one incorporates into a build. And you want "themes"... Well, NWN employs enough themes in its base array. This PrC is evidently for power-gamers.

It's funny, I actually don't mind Fighters in NWN. They are more engaging than in BG. You have access to disarm, knockdown and other options that make them less auto-attacky.

I don't know what your problem is. Maybe you should stick to criticizing "RPG writing" like you're doing first year Bachelor of English?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Where do you see a problem that I have? You are asking us, through your poll, what our favorite classes are and I said that I think CoT is too similar thematically to a paladin, so I dislike it because of that, not that I'm unwilling to use it or don't recognize its strengths in a mathematical sense. I'm also comparing the fighters to the other classes in NWN, not to all the classes in D&D ever. I don't know why you thought it would be appropriate to be passive aggressive, I'm not mad or annoyed, or anything, just curious about your willingness to dismiss me in such a way. My opinions on "RPG writing" have nothing to do with this discussion, let alone their competency or education level. Maybe I am wrong about SoD (I'm assuming that is what you are talking about) and there was no way to bridge the two games without thinking up a random idea and slapping it across the franchise, but if you want to chime in that discussion, you are welcome to do so in the SoD thread.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I've just never seen anyone devalue CoT on the grounds of a lack of original "theme"; it's a PrC.

I mean, it obviously brings enough new to the table for holy warriors, in that people have posted in-depth write-ups based on it.

As for SoD, I couldn't care less what you or anyone else say about its writing. It's not good enough to go into depth on, which is why I've only said one or two things about it. Go for your life in shitting on it.

And lrn to take a jab; it's the 'Dex.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Just started this Swordflight module pretty straight foward so far, maybe I should have picked up some persuade though hope I've not missed out on some magic loot.

I'm really wanting to do something terrible to this worlds most worthless bard they force on you, such an aggravating individual what the bandit chief had planned for her was far too good a fate for what she deserves.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
worlds most worthless bard
The single most irritating thing about her was when I sold the haste boots she had to get boots with +3 dodge ac instead and bought her a helmet with haste (basically gaining +3 ac for her in the process) and then she said she doesn't like to equip helmets because it destroys her hair.
She would just de-equip the fucking helmet. I had to buy the haste boots back losing at least 100k gold in this entire matter. This must be intentional trolling by the author.
Other than that she wasn't that bad as long as you use her with a ranged weapon at least, she can't melee for crap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom