Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A Dance with Rogues.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Ooh, Saleron's Gambit. :)

Looking forward to playing more of these great modules in the future. What one should I play next?

Runes of Blood. It's epic in scope with different environments to keep it fresh and was loaded with detail. The module author MadWombat preferred to concentrate on this one mod over the years and heavily refine it so it was very well-done and bug-free for me. I played as a female tiefling rogue with black wings and when I went into the women's public baths in order to progress a certain quest (and to perv out on and ogle the nakid chicks since my PC was obviously lesbian), I forgot to tell my male dwarf henchman to wait outside, and when the women saw him, they all jumped out of the hot tubs and ran away screaming, "EEEEEK! A MAN!." I totally wasn't expecting that little nuance of scripting :hahano:

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Avoid epic modules like a plague.

Honor Among Thieves -> Single part module with easily 40+ hours of amazing rogue themed missions and combat. Quite possibly one of the best modules ever.

The Prophecy -> Co-op EPIC module with 6 parts?? Possibly 60+ hours of running from point A to point B.. Combat and Level design looks like it was randomly generated. Quite Possibly one of the best disappointments by the author who made Honor Among Thieves.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Honor Among Thieves had some impressive scripting that I didn't think was possible in the NWN engine. IIRC, you can tail NPCs, much like those non-lethal missions in Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood, and have to be very stealthy about it. If you like playing rogues, it's probably the best module for it.

eXalted

Arcane
Got back to completing Dance with Rogues Part Two

... And there was this cult

... and here I am somehow naked in the middle of an initiation

... and four demonic dogs twice the size of my heroine appear

... and the potion they gave me earlier turns out to be an aphrodisiac

... and

survivor-smile.gif

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I heard the ADWR series was great but could be terribly balanced. From my own personal attempt at part 1, I can say I had to abandon it due to precisely these reasons. I remember I reached a dead end where in order to progress I had to defeat a dwarf character that seemed several levels above me. Since the campaign was fairly linear with no trash-mobs, I couldn't just grind and come back later when I was stronger, so it became an insurmountable obstacle for me. I had probably gimped myself.

Though the NWN OC gets absolutely no love around here, I have a fondness for the character of Aribeth. The voice actress who played her was just completely out of this planet, and really did seem to be living in a fantasy world. She was a total hoot. When they replaced her with a different, lamer voice actor in HotU I was sorely disappointed. Should I play one of the two follow-up post-OC modules about her? If so, which one? Aribeth's Redemption or Aribeth's Revival? Or are they both huge turgid turds of fanfic in the NWN engine fit only for lonely romantic storyfag fanboys & girls?? Jeremy Soule 's theme for Aribeth is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written for PC/video games, imo, and at only 38 seconds long, never has a chance to turn into florid musical masturbation.

baturinsky

Arcane
In ADWR you don't get XP for kills. You get XP for quests and a ton of XP for disabling traps and lockpicking. So yes, you can "grind" to extent of how many side quests and traps/doors you can find.
Also, there are indeed some encounters that has no way around and are quite hard even if you munchkin out.
I recommend reading this http://adwr.wikia.com/wiki/Strategy_Guide and this http://adwr.wikia.com/wiki/Character_Builds

eXalted

Arcane
Yeah, I had 1-2 battles in Part One and another one in Part Two where I just ran a console, turned on DebugMode and killed them with a command. I don't know if it has some terrible balance issues or I am just a noob (I play with the premade character by Valine).

These weren't optional battles. There was no other way to bypass them except combat.

In the strategy guide is this tip:
When facing numerous hostiles with good attacking abilities (like Dhorn in the Bear Pit or Drow parties in Part 2) it is more important to raise a chance to avoid multiple attacks

I spent an hour trying to fight a drow party until it finally occurred to me and I gave a shield to Rizzen and he tanked them so well that I was able to win the fight.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yeah, I had 1-2 battles in Part One and another one in Part Two where I just ran a console, turned on DebugMode and killed them with a command. I don't know if it has some terrible balance issues or I am just a noob (I play with the premade character by Valine).

These weren't optional battles. There was no other way to bypass them except combat.

In the strategy guide is this tip:
When facing numerous hostiles with good attacking abilities (like Dhorn in the Bear Pit or Drow parties in Part 2) it is more important to raise a chance to avoid multiple attacks

I spent an hour trying to fight a drow party until it finally occurred to me and I gave a shield to Rizzen and he tanked them so well that I was able to win the fight.

dm_heal
dm_cowsfromhell

...dm_mylittlepony *victory gallop*

:smug:

eXalted

Arcane
dm_heal
dm_cowsfromhell

Hmm, this sounds better than "Point at enemy and press "Y" while in DebugMode".

There should be a special "dm_mylittlepony" ADwR Edition....

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
dm_heal
dm_cowsfromhell

Hmm, this sounds better than "Point at enemy and press "Y" while in DebugMode".

There should be a special "dm_mylittlepony" ADwR Edition....

Those are real commands lol.. I remember typing dm_mylittlepony and laughing hysterically.. That was back before Bioware became cuck capital of the gaming world.
(It was a direct jab at biodrones who were constantly bitching about wanting horseback riding)

Dorateen

Arcane
Comments in the MotB'15 thread made me think of this NWN2 treasure from Indira Lightfoot again:

Trial and Terror

It's a hardcore dungeon crawler designed to challenge a 30th level character who finished Mask of the Betrayer. But there is also the option to import a party, so I went through with the level 17 characters that completed Storm of Zehir. Only catch is, I used the gear from MotB in order to counter the post-epic level enemies.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I had to cheat to get past certain parts of ADWR too. I'm absolute garbage at character building though.

eXalted

Arcane
Completed part two. It really dragged out towards the end but hey there were some really nice moments in Part Two and overall I enjoyed it. It's not created with the same attention to detail as Part One. As far as I read there were plans for patches and updates but they never got released which is kind of sad.

By dragged out I mean:

At the end, there was a sequence where I had to kill over 200 orcs appearing wave after wave. My patience was totally over, I kept pressing the "Y" button and still it seemed like there is no end to this. Why Valine?!

Now I am finally free to try all the other modules for NWN.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Decided to play something old and classic - The Cave of Songs - after my attempted play-through of Lankhmar Nights turned disastrous 2/3 of the way in when I encountered three consecutive quest breaking bugs which I worried would have added up to a game-breaking bug. Massive modules the size and complexity of LN with over three main quests and many subquests are just too much for a single modder to handle, I'm convinced, unless he's willing to spend years polishing it and spraying it for bugs (disclaimer: the module author is a pretty active & awesome guy who takes feedback from the community and still constantly updates his many released modules over the years). However, when Fafhrd of the famous twain Fafhrd & The Gray Mouser went berserk in the Golden Lamprey tavern, killing everyone except the two or three other NPCs marked essential, I finally said, "Fuck this." But I don't regret playing it, and I'm just happy to be playing RPGs with some depth again, buggy as they can be. So now I'm doing Cave of Songs. Kind of jarring not being able to go poking around in my henchman's inventory and using him as a pack mule to enable the hoarder-loot whore in me but still fun...and, most importantly, BUGLESS!

I thank (blame?) Lilura for getting me back into NWN modules and becoming addicted again after a long hiatus :lol: Still waiting on the Swordflight series to get Part 3 so I can start that. I'm just concerned about bugs because it seems pretty HUGE.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I hold out hope that there is at least some goodness somewhere in that small batch of released NWN2 HOF modules. I mean, Misery Stone is actually pretty damn good with an excellent Ravenloft atmosphere, but as Lt. Sulu would say (or scream rather): "THE ENGINE(S)!" If you want bugs with balls the size of Godzilla's gonads., look no further than the ending of that module, or The Legacy of White Plume Mountain where you can't even enter or exit certain areas (admittedly only two or three areas...but still) unless you save TEN times and load save after save of those saves with the hope that it won't crash on ya. But...there's gotta be goodness there...just gotta be. Pools of Radiance Remastered can't be all bad, can it? When I played tons of NWN1 modules back in the day I almost never encountered bugs. However, lately I'm been less lucky. But at least three out of the five NWN2 modules I attempted had bugs...and more bugs. Maybe I've just been unlucky so maybe I shouldn't be such a butthurt bitch. I'll shut up now.

eXalted

Arcane
Could someone tell me if Pirates of the Sword Coast is worth it?

How long is it? Does it have trash mobs? Is there a "role-playing" in it?

I am thinking of playing something more before Swordflight because I am a sucker at build and d20 system.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Well, pirates, parrots, underwater combat, and sharks the size of Lady Liberty's bunions. Need I say more? If you're looking for a deep, complex & challenging NWN module experience forget it. If you're looking for fun and things not seen in the NWN engine before, I say go for it. It's considered to be in the top two or three of the released premium modules. Which isn't saying much since they only released, maybe, six;)

eXalted

Arcane
I've been thinking how nice it would have been if there was ADwR Part III... no, no, wait, don't go, bear with me... where you go back to Betancuria and after getting back your throne you start making decision for your country. Are there any modules like these - with management? Castle/Country management? Army management?

purpleblob

Savant
I'm playing Aielund Saga for the first time. About 5 hours in and I'm really enjoying it. And cheers Lilura for the detailed walkthrough + installation guide.

eXalted

Arcane
Damn that NWN customizer. That would be also very helpful when creating modules and testing in the editor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom