Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

laclongquan

Arcane
So?

The dick for brain of a master of mine guzzled Mentats like there's no tomorrow. Thanks to that, I got my stash~

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Honey, there's no reason to reinvent the wheel when you can just improve upon existant designs.

Framerate and loadtimes are worse, and game-play speed is much slower in Electron. How is that an improvement? I don't see how offering unique campaigns is reinventing the wheel, either. Maybe you can enlighten me on that?

The biggest problem of fanmade module would be writings (and or voice acting) and that can be solved by existing materials.

If I want to read amateur writings I would.... wait, I dont.

Most user-made modules don't bother with voice-acting, thank god. I dislike VOs because I can read the words faster and don't like to wait for another to read them. Many user-made modules have writing on par with the pros (the works of Baldecaran, Gagne and Cerutti, f.e).

Motive for remakes is mostly about getting cheap "fame" from the strength of a title that results in inflated download counts.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Considering the years of work going into each module, I wouldnt say that fame is "cheap".

And yet you write off unique works/non-remakes as "reinventing the wheel", when some have been in development since before even the original NWN was released (Savant, f.e, began writing The Aielund Saga just after NWN was announced). Good one.

JUS PLAYE DUH REMAYKES of DUH CLASSIX. I LUV TO PLAY DEM IN DUH ELEKTWON ENGEEN. FORGET DUH UDDER STUFF. DEY JUS TRY TO REEN-VENT DUH BARLDAZ GAYTE AN EYESWIND DAYLE. WOT LOOSERS DEY AR. :retarded:

laclongquan

Arcane
Point number 1: It's extremely hard to do original writings. They are all vaguely similar to each other, thus, reinventing the wheel.
Point number 2: The quality of writings in such games are tried and tested. I am satisfied with them and not interested in trying new writings, mostly from amateur writers.
Point number 3: The problem of old games is mostly in mechanic and dated graphics. Once those issues are solved by using new engine, there's no problem to reuse old writings.

DramaticPopcorn

As much as I enjoy Lilura's butthurt, that's pretty a stupid reasoning to apply to user-created content, you might as well not play the modules at all, since pretty much anything outside of remakes is "reinventing the wheel", which it isn't, as many modules take varied approach to storytelling, often employing mechanics in non-traditional ways. Sure these attempts are a hit and miss but it's unfair to downright discredit them altogether.

DramaticPopcorn

I nearly dont play NWN2 modules. Only started them recently due to BGR caught my interest, and then IWD, and PORR. Staying out of user-made modules like plague, mostly due to writings reason.
You either overestimate professional game writing or unrerestimate content creator's writing. Probably both, because, to me, most modules are no worse than your average Bioware writing. In many instances, better.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I nearly dont play NWN2 modules. Only started them recently due to BGR caught my interest, and then IWD, and PORR. Staying out of user-made modules like plague, mostly due to writings reason.

Forget NWN2 modules; with a few exceptions, you're not gonna find writers there. It's NWN where you find campaigns by builders who are now novelists, and/or on par with pro devs.

Example: 11 out of the 15 authors in this post are either novelists, pro devs, or might as well be, they're that good.

Last edited:
I'm 100% with Lilura, most of NWN2 mods are crap, and many of the good ones are quite "meh", I only trully enjoyed the Conan one.

DramaticPopcorn

Writefaggotry is better in NWN1 hands down, lower skill requirement to work with Aurora toolset makes it easier to get into it, but most NWN2 mods have more varied mechanics, utilizing GUIs, party control, cutscenes, etc.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The lack of party control can also be viewed as an advantage, since the limits of companion control means greater role-playing focus in modules that are skillmonkey-based; i.e, rogue- and wizard-based modules, where it can be plausible that they would prefer to work alone, perhaps with only token companion help in key moments.

Cutscenes in NWN2 are annoying, worse than even NWN cutscenes because builders can't help but use them even in basic dialogue, where they're not required.

SoZ overland map is great, but I've not seen it improved upon by user-made modules; and the same goes for the greater degree of UI customization, which I've already mentioned countless times.

The limits imposed by Aurora and its toolset have contributed to superior adventures and campaigns; and the extra capability of Electron has often caused the builder to get carried away with gimmicks at the expense of core aspects of what makes a good RPG.

Aurora builders are just a superior species overall, though. In dungeonmastering, storytelling and characterizations, Electron builders cut a poor figure, standing beside them.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Example: 11 out of the 15 authors in this post are either novelists, pro devs, or might as well be, they're that good.

you mean guys like tony donadio and stephen nowland, self publishing authors writing teen fantasy books about their nwn mods? calling them novelists sounds a bit exaggerated.

laclongquan

Arcane
I will reiterate a bit why people would need to play PORR, BGR, and IWD modules for NWN2.

- Good writings in all things. Modules reuse good ol data of original games, so have no fear of having to read amateur writings. This should be important to storyfags. IF you have no problem with original games' writings, you should have no prob with it either.
- The change to NWN2 mechanic means it change greatly from original games. It's slightly similar, yet not the same. Combat become much faster (not easier) so you dont have to feel combat time is too long like in original games.
- Better graphic compared to original games of Dos era. Still 6 glorious nekkid bodies running around on screen will slow it down, just like running in NWN2 with 6-man party would slow down.

They are very much worthwhile to spend your time. Even if you just play the original doesnt mean you should avoid the module.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Okay, I just played Snow Hunt and I'm rating it an 8.00. A pleasant enough diversion for a few hours that can be useful in preparing a character for the Swordflight series, which I intend to play 1 through 3 once the author releases Part 3 in a few days/weeks (?). But damn, so many orcs in Snow Hunt. Miles and miles and miles of orcs. I fucking hate orcs. As I mentioned in my previous post, I've also been playing Lankhmar Nights which is epic-size and has quite a bit more depth than Snow Hunt. However, be warned that the surrender scripts can be tricky, even buggy. The module author told me that he can't find reliable surrender scripts that work 100% of the time. So what happens is your combat encounter adversary can get stuck in a permanent "Near Death" state and become invulnerable. A possible workaround is to make absolutely certain that if you see the dialogue screen come up during combat and the target is surrendering, you MUST accept the surrender or at least engage in the conversation. Otherwise, if the screen exits with no choices selected they become invulnerable and the encounter is broken. What I really like about LN is the living, breathing city the author has created. Placeables are many and give the impression of environment density. A problem with most of the user made modules I've played is too much wide open space and not much in it. Something even the pros tend to do (Baldur's Gate).

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
People who actually enjoy those cut scenes in modules using the NWN2 engine should be burned at the stake or gassed with Zyklon B. Even great module authors like the guy who made the Saleron's Gambit series make them look like a shit sandwich served in The Sims kitchen.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm 100% with Lilura, most of NWN2 mods are crap, and many of the good ones are quite "meh", I only trully enjoyed the Conan one.

I tried to play the NWN2 version of The Conan Chronicles. The first hour seems to be just running from bears and other deadly furries that you're just way too low-level to fight. No fun in that. It needed more sodomite priests making eyes at Conan and pawing his chest and saying, "You're so big and well-grown" or at least some kind of role-playing.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Lilura I'm a little disappointed - I took you for a less edgy troll.

NWN2 is the better toolset in every way.

• Better script functionality,
  • Better visual effects tools
  • Better modularity / plugin support.
  • Better Level Design tools (Yes Height Maps Suck, but they look damn nice)

The reason NWN1 has far more content and better writing as a whole is because NWN2 requires a skill competency that cuts out a lot of "Writers First Game Dev Second" type creators.

DramaticPopcorn is right though, many modules out there make up for writing in encounter design, system overhauls and just damn impressive level design.
Not all the writing is bad either - just NWN1 has a larger pool.

Now lets poke apart Lilura's arguments.. with equal amounts of edgy shit posting.

:love:

Then you go on to list the disgusting IWD and BG remakes? You have no right to post a parrot against me.
BG, IWD - if you ever wanted to play these games in NWN2 engine, you can, they are literally conversion mods, with very little content added but there is seriously something wrong with you if you prefer them over original

Truth is, there is srsly something wrong with you for playing these in the first place, when you could have been playing the originals, instead. I mean, NWN has a critically acclaimed Diablo mod that rips all art and music assets. Do you see me recommending it, though? No, because playing remakes over originals that have nothing wrong with them, is blasphemy of the rankest kind.

You have made a huge error in false equivalency.

When you say "little content changed" you are completely dismissing the whole completely different edition of DnD thing.
Maybe I want to play through Baldurs Gate with Kaedrins Prc Package?

Why is that wrong ? You are over simplifying conversion mods and getting worked up over nothing.
They are very well made with a great amount of polish and SOAR is shaping up to look even better..

I know why you felt the need to list them, though: it's like, what else is there for NWN2?
  • Misery Stone
  • Dark Waters
  • The Wizards Apprentice
  • Harp & Chryn
  • The Black Scourge of Candle Cove
no Swordflight

Swordflight.. You have so overhyped this module beyond anything it could ever possibly be.
I played it on your recommendation and part 1 is a slog.
Okay it has difficult combat and some interesting gimmicks and handles quest failure..... sometimes........ but the story is boring and the writing is average at best.

The creator of that module wanted to make part 2 in NWN2 but couldn't figure out how to work the toolset. :smug:

no Prophet, no Honor Among Thieves, no Hex Coda, no Blackguard, no Bastard of Kosigan, no Snickersnack!, no Sanctum of the Archmage, no Siege of the Heavens, no Almraiven, no Breach
  • Prophet is terrible. Point A -> Point B turd. Huge disappointment after Honor Among Thieves.. Baldecaran.. :(
  • Blackguard.. mehh.. Really?
  • Bastard of Kosigan? VAST IST DIS? MEIN GURMAN ACCENT IST AUTHEENTIC!!!
  • Hex Coda?? I thought we were discussing -good- written modules?
You forgot to mention ADWR.

:whiteknight:

no Project Q, and no ACP equivalents; because, if there were, they would be listed in this thread by Codex experts, wouldn't they, instead of just the same ol' goat track modules.

See the thing is.. NWN2 doesn't need a "Project Q" or CEP.. because of how custom content overrides work, those community packages are largely irrelevant now..
All you need is a community agreed master .2da list.. Oh wait.. They have that already..

:positive:

The lack of party control can also be viewed as an advantage, since the limits of companion control means greater role-playing focus in modules that are skillmonkey-based; i.e, rogue- and wizard-based modules, where it can be plausible that they would prefer to work alone, perhaps with only token companion help in key moments.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Cutscenes in NWN2 are annoying, worse than even NWN cutscenes because builders can't help but use them even in basic dialogue, where they're not required.

Agreed - but that doesn't mean NWN1 is better. The cut scene tools in NWN2 are far superior.

SoZ overland map is great, but I've not seen it improved upon by user-made modules;

Because it's hard to do well.

and the same goes for the greater degree of UI customization, which I've already mentioned countless times.

The limits imposed by Aurora and its toolset have contributed to superior adventures and campaigns; and the extra capability of Electron has often caused the builder to get carried away with gimmicks at the expense of core aspects of what makes a good RPG.

Aurora builders are just a superior species overall, though. In dungeonmastering, storytelling and characterizations, Electron builders cut a poor figure, standing beside them.

Complete bullshit. For every Failed NWN2 project that didn't get finished. I can point to literally 100's of NWN1 modules that are fucking garbage.. because the Aurora toolset lets you basically plop down a start location and your ready to go.

You have done a fine job cherry picking the best of the NWN1 community because frankly.. the barrier entry is so low but you have conveniently forgot about the 1000's of modules that people had to sift through so the gems could bubble up to the hall of fame.

To phrase this point a little differently.. NWN2 toolset difficulty has kept the shit at bay. Most completed modules for NWN2 are at least playable.

Last edited:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
To phrase this point a little differently.. NWN2 toolset difficulty has kept the shit at bay. Most completed modules for NWN2 are at least playable.
I agree with much of your post, but if you actually bother to think back to when NWN2 first came out, 99% of the stuff released with the toolset was utter garbage. It took quite a while for anything decent to surface, and even then most of what was released was pretty bad. It looks a bit better now in retrospect because most of that garbage is no longer available (or at least, no longer visible) with the death of the NWVault, but the general output with the NWN2 toolset was not, on the whole, of particularly high quality.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I just want to take this moment to thank all the testers and tasters over the years who slogged through hundreds upon hundreds (if not thousands upon thousands) of fucking horrible NWN1 & NWN2 user made modules so that I may experience only the best. You make me feel like a KING, and his tester, and his taster, and his jester, and his scepter. Bless The Neverwinter Vaults Hall of Fame. You are remembered *bows humbly*

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I agree with much of your post, but if you actually bother to think back to when NWN2 first came out, 99% of the stuff released with the toolset was utter garbage. It took quite a while for anything decent to surface, and even then most of what was released was pretty bad. It looks a bit better now in retrospect because most of that garbage is no longer available (or at least, no longer visible) with the death of the NWVault, but the general output with the NWN2 toolset was not, on the whole, of particularly high quality.

You aren't wrong but the waves of shit never reached NWN1 levels. Also many of the shit mod makers then went back to NWN1.
Lilura only paints a one sided picture.. she is incredibly biased.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Yeah, I wonder if you take the polar bears out of Snow Hunt, would it possibly be just another one of those shit NWN modules being discussed here? I mean, is there anything more charming and disarming than orcs riding polar bears and swooping down on you with their arrows and their axes? But take that away, and what have you? Possibly just another NWN module. Still, I shall be playing the Swordflight series. It seemed to be a learning experience for the author. Maybe part 2 really is great. We shall see.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yeah, I wonder if you take the polar bears out of Snow Hunt, would it possibly be just another one of those shit NWN modules being discussed here? I mean, is there anything more charming and disarming than orcs riding polar bears and swooping down on you with their arrows and their axes? But take that away, and what have you? Possibly just another NWN module. Still, I shall be playing the Swordflight series. It seemed to be a learning experience for the author. Maybe part 2 really is great. We shall see.

I'm hoping Part 2 picks up..

I don't see what the big fucking deal is.. is it because it's kinda difficult if you play certain classes? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The dialogue is nothing great.. the area details aren't great.. I don't enjoy exploring.. The plot drags...
It's average IMO.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I have one final tip for playing any of these modules (either NWN or NWN2) for maximum enjoyment - enable sky boxes and be sure to use a 3rd person perspective (driving camera mode) with the camera just behind your player character. Don't do what I had done for years, playing in a top down bird's eye view. I never saw that beautiful burning blood-orange sky in Saleron's Gambit so many years ago.

Deleted Member 16721

Ooh, Saleron's Gambit. :)

That's the onllly module I've played so far but damn, loved it! A bit wordy at times but certainly felt like a real pen-and-paper RPG adventure. Really enjoyed what I played of it!

Looking forward to playing more of these great modules in the future. What one should I play next?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom