Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Electron has its advantages (f.e, XML-based UI), but yeah: outweighed by the cons. The toolset is powerful but take one look at it, and no. Thankfully many NWN builders wrote off Electron after checking it out, Rogueknight 333 and Savant included. I'm trying to convince an expert to mod me direct control of combat units for NWN. It's what I miss most.

Btw guys, I posted a mod list earlier in this thead, a list that has since been updated. Enjoy!

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
1.) sometimes a unit will simply refuse to move to a point on the playing field 2.) selecting a unit is sometimes like pulling teeth because their selector indicator hit box is deceptive 3.) Even with AI off and puppet mode on, units have a mind of their own. 4.) units sometimes gets stuck on placeables and just run on the spot. 5.) sometimes they run on the spot and then suddenly appear at their destination.
1) this only happens if the spot you're clicking at isn't connected to the walkmesh. in other words: pathfinding can't calculate a way from a to b.
2) never happens to me. i either drag select, click the portrait or press the corresponding f-buttons. i also never encountered issues with the selection of units.
3) this i also never encountered. you only have to make sure that the ai button is completely red. if it's half red half blue, there's still at least one companion with active ai.
4) yeah, this sucks. pathfinding ain't the best.
5) that's one of the biggest issues electron is suffering from. skywing's client extension helps to iron out some of those kinks, but it's still happening. it's fucking frustrating if someone rubber bands through a trigger that doesn't fire its script but gets deleted afterwards, because of only triggering once.

Electron has its advantages (f.e, XML-based UI), but yeah: outweighed by the cons. The toolset is powerful but take one look at it, and no. Thankfully many NWN builders wrote off Electron after checking it out, Rogueknight 333 and Savant included. I'm trying to convince an expert to mod me direct control of combat units for NWN. It's what I miss most.
ahh, those nitpicking nwn modders. years of working with the aurora toolset surely atrophies their brains. there's nothing inherently wrong with the toolset, it's just that they shy away from slightly elaborate and artistic work, aka area design.

ps: i doubt that there's any possible way to mod direct henchmen control without source access. is there any proof of progress in this area?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't imagine why they didn't give us direct control in the very first version of the game. They probably had complete confidence in their ability to write AI, confidence that wasn't supported by actual skills.

Semper

Cipher
They probably had complete confidence in their ability to write AI, confidence that wasn't supported by actual skills.
nwn was planned as a single character crpg, mainly played in mp with a dm. henchmen were a last minute addition late in development.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
1) this only happens if the spot you're clicking at isn't connected to the walkmesh. in other words: pathfinding can't calculate a way from a to b.

It also happens when you're trying to just move them slightly; say, half a body length.

2) never happens to me. i either drag select, click the portrait or press the corresponding f-buttons. i also never encountered issues with the selection of units.

Well yeah, if you never physically click on the unit, it will, of course never happen. I also use marquee select and F-keys, but still, it's a flaw. Selections feel kludgy, whichever method you use.

3) this i also never encountered. you only have to make sure that the ai button is completely red. if it's half red half blue, there's still at least one companion with active ai.

AI was completely off, puppet mode on, and Khelgar decided to run after a foe in the distance...

5) that's one of the biggest issues electron is suffering from. skywing's client extension helps to iron out some of those kinks, but it's still happening. it's fucking frustrating if someone rubber bands through a trigger that doesn't fire its script but gets deleted afterwards, because of only triggering once.

Yep, I'm aware of that CE. Never used it, though.

ahh, those nitpicking nwn modders. years of working with the aurora toolset surely atrophies their brains. there's nothing inherently wrong with the toolset, it's just that they shy away from slightly elaborate and artistic work, aka area design.

In the case of what they wanted to achieve, it was the correct choice. Electron failed to supply the balance between power, flexibility and ease-of-use. I don't blame ppl who prefer to use tilesets over painted terrain, when the latter takes much longer and the former looks "good enough" with a fraction of the effort, leaving more time for things that are actually important.

It's why NWN has Swordflight, and why NWN2 has crap like The Black Scourge of Candle Cove. :P

ps: i doubt that there's any possible way to mod direct henchmen control without source access. is there any proof of progress in this area?

Not yet, though I have it on good authority that it can be done (a few private convos).

Here is a basic system: http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/script/balkoths-minion-control

Semper

Cipher
It also happens when you're trying to just move them slightly; say, half a body length.
i can't replicate this issue. half a body length is outside the standard active selection marker. i can even click at half that distance (inside the selection marker) and every party member responds with walking to that spot.
or did you mean to move two characters close together? that's only partly possible because of collision spheres blocking space.

Well yeah, if you never physically click on the unit, it will, of course never happen.
i too physically click on units - mostly on hostile ones, but also occasionally on companions. and still never encountered this issue.

AI was completely off, puppet mode on, and Khelgar decided to run after a foe in the distance...
i just remembered that i initially (after loading) access the behavior tab and manually activate puppet mode for all.

In the case of what they wanted to achieve, it was the correct choice. Electron failed to supply the balance between power, flexibility and ease-of-use. I don't blame ppl who prefer to use tilesets over painted terrain, when the latter takes much longer and the former looks "good enough" with a fraction of the effort, leaving more time for things that are actually important.
that's no actual fault of the toolset, but personal preference. it also speaks volumes that there are lots of custom tilesets available. tilesets that had to be created in a digital content creation package like 3dsmax, gmax or blender. ever opened and worked with such a tool? compared to that nwn2's toolset is child's play.

It's why NWN has Swordflight, and why NWN2 has crap like The Black Scourge of Candle Cove. :P
i am tempted to play swordflight only to list all the crap the aurora engine is bad at.

yeah, i wouldn't go that far and call it direct control. it's a custom item script without any detailed interaction. from there it's a long way to achieve what nwn2 is capable of. it's like scripting fights through dialogues and calling it turn based.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
that's no actual fault of the toolset, but personal preference. it also speaks volumes that there are lots of custom tilesets available. tilesets that had to be created in a digital content creation package like 3dsmax, gmax or blender. ever opened and worked with such a tool? compared to that nwn2's toolset is child's play.

I never said it was a fault. I was responding to your remark about area design. The custom tilesets are made by artists who enjoy doing that sort of thing. Many builders evidently don't. I find 3d apps Ezer to get a grip on than the Electron toolset; which is a maze of shit, and unresponsive.

i am tempted to play swordflight only to list all the crap the aurora engine is bad at.

Please do. I threw you a softball when I asked you about TBSoCC. I remember it clearly, and found your response pretty laughable.

yeah, i wouldn't go that far and call it direct control. it's a custom item script without any detailed interaction. from there it's a long way to achieve what nwn2 is capable of. it's like scripting fights through dialogues and calling it turn based.

I never said it was on par with NWN2. It's just a basic attempt. As I said, I have no proof at this stage.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
nwn was planned as a single character crpg, mainly played in mp with a dm. henchmen were a last minute addition late in development.

Ah, k. They still could've added it in a patch or expansion though.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'm still trying to convince ppl to give players this functionality, but it's an uphill battle ("I have better things to do", etc.)

Semper

Cipher
uphill battle or simply not possible? the bad henchmen ai combined with the single character control was criticized since release. even bioware only ever added fake access to the hechmen's inventory.
imo they would had have included direct control if it would be possible without rewriting parts of the engine.

I find 3d apps Ezer to get a grip on than the Electron toolset; which is a maze of shit, and unresponsive.
that's hard to believe. which dcc package do you work with and what's your experience level?

Last edited:

DramaticPopcorn

A promising new NWN2 module

Can you endrose some of the better NWN2 modules Lilura? I've only played OC and MoTB for NWN2 and never actually tried any of the custom modules.
Never ask Lilura for NWN2 recomendations. :M

Some of the better modules from old vault (never revisited user content scene since uhhh 2012?):

Mysteries of Westgate - premium module, kinda short but with good story, concise overall and with some C&C as well as a quite a bit of optional content (about 70/30 split which is a lot for modules)
Subtlety of Thay - great story, variety, encounter design, overall a balanced mid-level campaing but without the conclusion (2/3 episodes are out)
Conan Chronicles - good story, a lot of C&C (down to your character's height and skin colour, at times), not so great gameplay and encounter design at times but overall pretty solid in most aspects
Dark Waters campaing - cannot praise this enough, the extent of creator's creativity is mind-numbing, the story is very light and amatuerish but the gameplay differs highly and in a good way from any other module out there.
Harp & Chrysantemium - solid module but overrated for style rather than content or gameplay, good dialogue and a solid story though
The MaimedGod's Saga - a lot of C&C, a lot of unusual interactivity (casting spells in dialogue to get important clue at the start of the game, for instance, provided you memorized it that is :M). Centers around Cleric or Favourite Soul playthrough and has a lot of circlejerking about FR religion (which I despise).
Leagacy of the White Plume Mountain - arguably one of the biggest campaings out there, almost has as much areas as a small PW.
Modules by this guy: http://www.schlegels.de/ - there's 3 of them for NWN2, all pretty good in technical aspects but the writing is subpar, the dialogues offer little interactivity and the gameplay has little to no variety (get a quest > move to an area > kill everything with some random banter > return to the quest giver)
BG, IWD - if you ever wanted to play these games in NWN2 engine, you can, they are literally conversion mods, with very little content added but there is seriously something wrong with you if you prefer them over original

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Never ask Lilura for NWN2 recomendations. :M
Then you go on to list the disgusting IWD and BG remakes? You have no right to post a parrot against me. +M

BG, IWD - if you ever wanted to play these games in NWN2 engine, you can, they are literally conversion mods, with very little content added but there is seriously something wrong with you if you prefer them over original

Truth is, there is srsly something wrong with you for playing these in the first place, when you could have been playing the originals, instead. I mean, NWN has a critically acclaimed Diablo mod that rips all art and music assets. Do you see me recommending it, though? No, because playing remakes over originals that have nothing wrong with them, is blasphemy of the rankest kind. I know why you felt the need to list them, though: it's like, what else is there for NWN2?

There is no Aielund Saga, no Swordflight, no Prophet, no Honor Among Thieves, no Hex Coda, no Blackguard, no Bastard of Kosigan, no Snickersnack!, no Sanctum of the Archmage, no Siege of the Heavens, no Almraiven, no Breach, no Project Q, and no ACP equivalents; because, if there were, they would be listed in this thread by Codex experts, wouldn't they, instead of just the same ol' goat track modules.

DW, SoT H&C, CC - They have been mentioned by me and others a few times already in this thread. Remember, you had a dig at me for praising H&C? MoW is a freakin' commercial module everyone knows about.

And then, you gotta have your 2nd dig at me after I'm the first one in the thread to mention two recent modules for your precious NWN2 (The Scroll on the last page and TBSoCC on page 15). It's a bit sad, tbh. Pls do better in your next post.

Semper

Cipher
4.) units sometimes gets stuck on placeables and just run on the spot.

i am playing swordflight right now... and the pathfinding in aurora is even worse. nwn's tilesets ain't exactly narrow or filled with placeables cluttering the walkmesh, still the character has the habit to get stuck constantly at the shifting sands inn. intensified by the fact that characters can't push each other around. the circular gui is abysmal too. fortunately bioware at least included a hot bar to store often used abilities. i am almost happy that it's a single character game.

Last edited:

DramaticPopcorn

Truth is, there is srsly something wrong with you for playing these in the first place, when you could have been playing the originals, instead. I mean, NWN has a critically acclaimed Diablo mod that rips all art and music assets. Do you see me recommending it, though? No, because playing remakes over originals that have nothing wrong with them, is blasphemy of the rankest kind. I know why you felt the need to list them, though: it's like, what else is there for NWN2?

Highlighted the relevant part, I personally never played them, did check out the new assets from both modules, though :M
DW, SoT H&C, CC - They have been mentioned by me and others a few times already in this thread.

Majority of mods on the old vault came out before 2009, it's 2016 and only about 20% more NWN2 mods have been released since then, so it's no wonder that people would post same suggestions as previously, shit, I probably repeated myself a few times in this thread because I don't go back to read up on what I've written here before

Remember, you had a dig at me for praising H&C?
Yep, still stand by what I said. It's praised for the wrong reasons but objectively it's a solid module although if you dig slightly deeper it's just a lackluster style-over-substance project.

MoW is a freakin' commercial module everyone knows about.
It's included with GoG version of the game, IIRC, so not suggesting to play it is kinda dumb because it is objectively one of the best modules for NWN2, it's still neither main campaing nor expansion, so it falls under the module category for me. :M

And then, you gotta have your 2nd dig at me after I'm the first one in the thread to mention two recent modules for your precious NWN2 (The Scroll on the last page and TBSoCC on page 15).
Uh, so? The dig wasn't serious, obviously, keeping in mind your history of NWN1 bias, yet you went on your butthurt rant for no good reason. You keep up with the scene and new releases, good for you.

Pls do better in your next post.
1 sentence was enough to set you off so it's a pretty good attempt I say :M

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Highlighted the relevant part, I personally never played them, did check out the new assets from both modules, though :M

Why are you recommending something so obviously shit, that you have not even played? :retarded:

It's included with GoG version of the game, IIRC, so not suggesting to play it is kinda dumb because it is objectively one of the best modules for NWN2, it's still neither main campaing nor expansion, so it falls under the module category for me. :M

It's because you have nothing better to add, just like with the remakes. I'm not recommending anything from Kingmaker, am I.

Uh, so? The dig wasn't serious, obviously, keeping in mind your history of NWN1 bias, yet you went on your butthurt rant for no good reason. You keep up with the scene and new releases, good for you.

Butthurt rant? Pls, I won't take cheapshots and not call them out. NWN bias? No, I have no loyalties to any engine: I go to the platform that hosts the RPGs I wanna play. Show me something user-made on NWN2 that's in the same ballpark as Swordflight, and I'm there, with bells on.

1 sentence was enough to set you off so it's a pretty good attempt I say :M

:retarded:

DramaticPopcorn

Why are you recommending something so obviously shit, that you have not even played? :retarded:
How is it shit if it's an objectively well made module for nwn2? The fuck are you talking about.
It doesn't compare to the original for many reasons but I've known plenty of NWN2 players who have played both original and these remakes and were pretty happy with both.

It's because you have nothing better to add, just like with the remakes. I'm not recommending anything from Kingmaker, am I.
Yes, that's the point? There's not a whole lot of good content for NWN2? And almost everyone recomends a Darkness over Daggerford as one of the better NWN1 modules even though it's actually a premium module :M

Butthurt rant? Pls, I won't take cheapshots and not call them out. NWN bias?
Please just stop jesus christ :deathclaw::deathclaw::deathclaw:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
How is it shit if it's an objectively well made module for nwn2? The fuck are you talking about.

How do you know it's objectively well-made when you haven't even played it, fuckstick? The combat is broken in the IWD remake; f.e, enemies won't react if they are fired upon from long range: they just stand there and take it, until they drop. How do I know this? I installed it, for a laugh.

It doesn't compare to the original for many reasons but I've known plenty of NWN2 players who have played both original and these remakes and were pretty happy with both.

Who gives a fuck what scrubs think; since when does their word count?

almost everyone recomends a Darkness over Daggerford as one of the better NWN1 modules even though it's actually a premium module :M

"Almost everyone" recommends the remakes, too! What's your point? DoD is a doddle; and it was never released as a premium module or as part of Kingmaker. My DoD write-up is the most detailed one that exists: read it, and lrnsmth.

Please just stop jesus christ

Never. Not while you are shitposting in this thread. +M

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
A nice bit of Sword Lore with Zarala, Swordflight's air genasi companion and central character. This is at the midway point of Chapter Two.

Speaking of which, as yet there has been no Codex feedback on Chapter Two: what's up guys?

laclongquan

Arcane
NWN2 modules:

Pool of Radiance Remastered: it's a remake of POR and it's beautifully redone. Music, cutscene, etc... There's no loss to try this module.

IWD remake: It provide a new and different experience compared to the original. You will feel like the game flow very fast.
BG Reloaded: Also another different experience compared to the original.
You wont regret trying these two modules.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Well, I finished up my SoU and HotU playthroughs and I'm officially ready to start playing some modules again. Just a comment about the expansion packs - SoU was pretty satisfying and relatively easy, but HotU? Whew! What a ballbuster! Had to finish the final battle by reading a walk-through since there was no way my Bard/RDD could take on Mephistopheles and my two high level henchmen solo, whom this Lord of the 8th Hell managed to turn against me with his forked silver-tongue. But once I learned my companions "True Names" (nice nod to Earthsea there) I was able to get them back on my side. But even with that I still could only finish HotU by cranking it down to Easy and using an entire Rod of Resurrection. I'm not ashamed to admit that because now I know why this expansion is so highly regarded by even the most hardcore of RPG nutballs - it is fucking HARD- no, make that neigh near impossible at times. However, In the end it was worth it. Now I can get on with my life and the reason for existence - NWN modules!

Right now I'm playing Lankhmar Nights by a veteran NWN modder, and so far it seems okay. Low-magic world, and the module author makes a valiant attempt to get the smoky streets & inns of Lankhmar just right. One thing missing though is the humor. Fritz Leiber was a brilliantly sardonic writer at times. He knew exactly how to counter the gloom of his Robert E. Howard-inspired fantasy world building using irony and humor.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
NWN2 modules:
Pool of Radiance Remastered: it's a remake of POR and it's beautifully redone. Music, cutscene, etc... There's no loss to try this module.
IWD remake: It provide a new and different experience compared to the original. You will feel like the game flow very fast.
BG Reloaded: Also another different experience compared to the original.
You wont regret trying these two modules.

3x remakes: lulz

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Right now I'm playing Lankhmar Nights by a veteran NWN modder, and so far it seems okay. Low-magic world, and the module author makes a valiant attempt to get the smoky streets & inns of Lankhmar just right. One thing missing though is the humor. Fritz Leiber was a brilliantly sardonic writer at times. He knew exactly how to counter the gloom of his Robert E. Howard-inspired fantasy world building using irony and humor.

Haven't read Lieber but LN was recommended to me by some1 on my blog. I found Snickersnack! to be quite funny, and enjoyed its dungeon design and puzzles. It does things no other modules have done. Along with Snow Hunt, it's the best short module I've found. Here is a list of other short modules, if you're interested.

laclongquan

Arcane
Honey, there's no reason to reinvent the wheel when you can just improve upon existant designs.

The biggest problem of fanmade module would be writings (and or voice acting) and that can be solved by existing materials.

If I want to read amateur writings I would.... wait, I dont.

Ninjerk

Arcane
If I want to read amateur writings I would.... wait, I dont.
7590.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom