Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Just so you know, you sort of need to replay both Chapters of Swordflight to more fully appreciate the reactivity. But yeah, you're in for a treat. This is gonna go SIX chapters, too!

Yeah, that's what I meant. I'll start at Part 1 and play right through to Part 3. As I've mentioned in previous posts, my most fun & vivid memories of playing RPGs was with NWN1 modules. I played most of the classics, but missed or avoided quite a few others (like Rick Burton's stuff, which I found too hardcore & tedious at the time). It's been years since I played NWN1 modules so I hope to return to that soon to see what the community has come up with in the interim. I see Proleric has a new module out in beta. Proleric's earlier modules was the very first time I encountered total freedom with alternative sexualities in cRPGs that treated it nonchalantly. I had played the earlier Runes of Blood but the same sex couplings in that one seemed to rely too much on smutty cut scenes of lesbian sex. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I enjoyed it thoroughly. But I need to play the next chapter of Festor Pot's wizard themed module, and the last parts of the Aielund Saga, and Sands of Fate, and the Sanctum of the Archmage series, and- ooooh, so many modules, so little time!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
So besides Swordflight any newish module for NWN1 that is worth playing? I've also played and quite enjoyed the top 100 mods from the old nwn vault. Is there any old mods not there that are also worth playing?

Sounds like you have played many more modules than I have. Here are some works I'm familiar with:

Cave of Songs, Honor Among Thieves and Prophet, by Baldecaran - Brilliant. I listened to a podcast by the author, the guy is very likeable.
Hex Coda 01 by Gagne - only dabbled in Penultima. This guy is a great character writer but not a good encounter designer (Hex Coda 01 is EZ mode).
Aielund Saga by Savant - recounted on my blog in its entirety. Excellent pacing. Savant is now a novelist.
Swordflight Series by Rogueknight 333 - coverage on my blog. Probably the best RPG I have ever played. Try Snow Hunt, too, which I've written a walkthrough for (with input from the author) - it's great for a short module!
Snickernack! Kobolds! Can't recall author's name - inventive, witty and short module.
Bastard of Kosigan, by Fabien Cerutti - writing in this gets 11/10 (powers along like a page-turning novel, great storyteller and character writer), module overall gets 8/10. Covered on my blog in its entirety. The second chapter is bug-fucked, so I stopped there. Fabien is now a novelist.
Crimson Tides of Tethyr, by Alazander - played this in my youth, loved it for its Realmslore and BG2 references. Recently undertook to recount it, but abandoned after 5 parts (my taste has changed). I recounted Siege of Shadowdale in full on my blog. Again, for its Realmslore. Alazander is now a novelist.
Cormyrean Nights, by Servilan - loved this. Was pleasantly surprised. Very charming, but was made in Aurora's infancy (pre-1.69) so feels a lil' primitive. It's worth a whirl, though.
Shadowlords, Dreamcatcher, Demon by Adam Miller - only dabbled in these. Guy is famous more for technical expertise in toolset than anything else.
Paladin Trilogy by Rick Burton - tried to get into this, just couldn't (bugs, wasn't sure where to go, what to do). It feels older than Cormyrean Nights. Haven't written it off, though. I think this guy is an aspiring pro-dev now.
Sanctum of the Archmage: The Sight by Andarian - tried this, it was huge and complex. It drew me in at first and then I lost interest (could have been mood). I intend to give it another whirl someday. Andarian is now a novelist.
Saleron's Gambit by Tiberius209 - Stock-standard D&D adventure. Solid.
Darkness Over Daggerford, by Ossian Studios - Like Crimson Tides of Tethyr this one I remembered fondly from my youth. But these days, it just doesn't stack up. It's BG-esque and includes an overworld map and waylays. Combat is a faceroll and itemization is grotesquely generous. This is recounted in several parts on my blog - abandoned.
Blackguard Trilogy by Steve B - dabbled in it. Very solid and challenging combat. Evil-only.
Orcs Series and The Breach by Akkei - recounted first part of Orcs series on my blog. Evil-only. Famous for its non-linearity and because you play as an orc, infiltrating and possibly killing humans. The Breach is great in concept, but cutscenes hang the game on 1.69. Evil-only. Very disappointed, because this is one of the most inventive modules I have seen (you play as undead and resting, healing and experience point gains are handled differently). I've posted on the Codex about this one, probably in this thread.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I see Proleric has a new module out in beta. Proleric's earlier modules was the very first time I encountered total freedom with alternative sexualities in cRPGs that treated it nonchalantly. I had played the earlier Runes of Blood but the same sex couplings in that one seemed to rely too much on smutty cut scenes of lesbian sex. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on that thread. I've checked out his stuff on youtube, and his site.

But I need to play the next chapter of Festor Pot's wizard themed module, Sands of Fate

Forgot to mention these, and Abaddon's modules (buggy for me). I find Fester Pot's stuff visually very pleasing, and the attention to detail is through the roof. I also tried the newly released Eye of the Beholder mod, found it boring and the quest structure was a lil' rough around the edges; though again, very pleasing tilesets and placeable density.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Awesome mate. Will be looking forward to play them this long weekend. Maybe I should revisit some of the older and modules too, played them on high school when I still had all the free time in the world (and shitty computer, therefore NWN1).

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've seen posters on the Codex call NWN1 ugly,
Vanilla NWN was ugly, though not terrible for a 3d game of that era -- a lot of the custom content genuinely looks quite good though. The Bioware tilesets were not particularly inspired, but there are some solid ones out at this point. NWN2 was much worse, I agree with you there.

I'll have to give Swordflight a try at some point; I haven't played any modules for quite a while (since the original NWVault went kaput), but they sound quite good.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Swordflight is up there with AoD, SitS and UR. I.e. one of the best RPGs in a decade. Many devs can learn a lot from playing it.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Lilura can you recommend a mod that adds more prestige classes? I remember PRC adds like a bunch of class normal and prestige to NWN1, but I thought that was too big for my taste.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I haven't tried PRC. The Community Patch Project unlocks Shou Disciple and Eye of Gruumsh, though. Problem is its AI tweaks may clash with modules that have their own custom AI; e.g, Swordflight. Bastard of Kosigan employs its own custom PrCs (Knight Errant & Mercenary Spy); however, I didn't think much of them, at first glance. I'm not really a fan of adding PrCs, anyway: for me, NWN supplies enough build opportunities for combat/role-playing, as is.

Vanilla NWN was ugly

Welcome to the ignore list, ape.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
Pure monk is good, but it's kinda boring. I wanted to go druid/monk/shifter because the wildshapes are all counted as unarmed so Flurry of Blows and monk attack progression works with them and you become a meleeing beast.
With NWN version of D&D rules, dip into monk is quite good for Cleric. And Cleric by itself is the most OP D&D class.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Swordflight ... one of the best RPGs in a decade. Many devs can learn a lot from playing it.

Players and lowly bloggers, too! I learned a lot about resource management and what constitutes good itemization and reactivity, just by playing. ppl who know heaps more than I do have admitted to learning from Swordflight, too (e.g, Balkoth aka Magical Master).

For me, it's raised the bar and set the standard for NWN modules, and RPGs in general: everything else gets compared to it, now.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is good, yes (I discovered it thanks to Lilura's blog, by the way) I finished chapter 1 yesterday and I'm very impressed. I was playing as a rogue/fighter and it was a pleasure having to use all my resources and skills (even traps or 'magic device' for some skill checks.)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Rogueknight added checks for pretty much all skills, even appraise. I got to talk to animals! Chapter 2 is even better in this regard.

Lilura, you should probably direct Rogueknight to this forum :p

That good?
:updatedmytxt:
Yes, it's that good. Only the first area of the first chapter is better designed than the entirety of PoE, WL2 etc. It only gets better after that.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Why would a reasonable person wish to post in this hive of villainy? +MPlus, he knows I'm doing ok at spruiking his modules.

But what I WOULD encourage is that Codexers register at neverwintervault.org and leave feedback on his modules, here, here and here - and vote, vote, VOTE!

I mean, check this out:
Swordflight Chapter One - 1358 downloads and 15 votes (1.1% of downloaders bothered their ass to vote)
Swordflight Chapter Two - 983 downloads and 19 votes. (1.9%)
Snow Hunt - 283 downloads and 7 votes. (2.5%)

I'm sure the author appreciates every single comment and vote he gets, but c'mon ppl! VOTE MOAR, FFS. This stuff is something special, even the most cynical Codexer would be hard-pressed to disagree. Stop being a stubborn ox and support a FREE module that compares favorably to the commercial shit spruiked on the Codex by shills. He doesn't need your encouragement but show it ANYWAY. Be grateful!

Any ape who awards less than 10s goes straight on my ignore list, for all-time. ;)

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Rogueknight added checks for pretty much all skills, even appraise. I got to talk to animals! Chapter 2 is even better in this regard.

I remember playing Kevin Chan's Tales of Arterra series (highly recommended, btw) and being rather floored that my ranger build was able to talk to a rat in the sewer that helped make that particular quest much easier. He also had an ancient dragon in that series that you felt completely ambivalent about having to slay because it had a long sad story. It's little things like this that made the modules for the original Neverwinter Nights shine for me. I'm totally looking forward to playing Swordflight because it seems like the module author really put a lot of thought and detail into it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If you begin from the second chapter you wouldn't know who the people you are working for are, but otherwise you can play them however you wish.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Your journal updates you on current events; however, I strongly advise not to skip the first chapter. There are several reasons for that.

The second chapter is larger and superior, overall, but the first is still a masterpiece of reactivity and quest, dungeon and combat encounter design.

Inf0mercial

Augur
One thing i like about Swordflight series is how i chew through healing packs/ potions, i still have a multitude of various buffing potions but that's more down to me never selling them or using them on easy to medium fights, wands i chew through as well its a nice change, actually having to stop and check how much healing items you have left and consider pressing on or not is nice in some areas, makes it actually feel like a crawl although later play throughs kinda kill that feeling it also makes you stop and consider gold stock compared to what you want to buy at least in chapter one and for the early parts of chapter 2.

One thing i am really happy about is how this module taught me heal is a skill that's actually worth investing in, do i buy some restore potions and antidotes for 120gp ea or do i buy healing packs that cure both poison and disease at 80gp ea? Lets you leave your restore pots for attribute drains and you pick up enough of them you never need to buy a single one, well unless you get really unlucky i guess or delay too long getting rid of poison and disease.

I do have one complaint with chapter 1
If you destroy all three orbs at end of dungeon then go to rest he fucks off as soon as you initiate dialogue made me rage a bit, you gotta destroy 2 rest then continue on, i am also not sure how first play through on a mage would go i feel it would be rough if you prepare the wrong spells for a few areas, although polymorph to troll is actually useful for once especially if you want to extend your adventuring day with some summons and buffs, chapter 2 has a moment
FUCKING STINGER MARKSMEN, i never knew how much i hated them till playing as a mage all those bolts go straight through stone skin and 6 at once firing 2 shots a round will cripple you

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I tried connecting to the NWN Master Server today for old time's sake using my purchased online keys from 2005 (!) and noticed it won't connect. Apparently the original NWN Master Server (that gave you a nice list of functional servers to play on) is now defunct. Are there any servers or persistent worlds that still have a fair number of players or is it just not worth it anymore and I should stick with user-made modules? Opinions please.

baturinsky

Arcane
What site are you getting mods from now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom