Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

eXalted

Arcane
thumbs-up-matt-leblanc.gif

Historically-accurate standouts are pretty rare (D&D is no Ars Magica).. but.. The Bastard of Kosigan series feels fairly legit: set in 14th century mythic Europe, it was written by a novelist and historian.

There are many references to the (geo-)politics and theology of the time, like the petty principalities, the Vatican and the Inquisition. Quests are intricately interwoven and the dialogue is rich, full of swagger and powers along like a page-turning novel. Lots of stat checks, too:

My coverage of the series begins with Exile of the West, the first episode. All major dialogue segments are being uploaded to YouTube and linked from the blog post for context.

Those who liked Darklands and Lionheart's Barcelona should check out The Bastard of Kosigan.

When I saw part V in the video I thought that the fifth part of the saga got translated. It got as far as 4 right?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
When I saw part V in the video I thought that the fifth part of the saga got translated. It got as far as 4 right?

Part V is just the fifth part of my recounting of Episode One. There are four translated episodes uploaded to neverwintervault.org, with a fifth and final obtainable from Fabian himself: By the Word and the Blade. EDIT - The module has just been uploaded to the new vault. Enjoy!

I've finished my run of Episode One: Exile of the West, in seven parts:

Exile of the West - Part I
Exile of the West - Part II
Exile of the West - Part III
Exile of the West - Part IV
Exile of the West - Part V
Exile of the West - Part VI
Exile of the West - Part VII (Grande Finale)

R7vw9QB.jpg

According to reports/feedback, the Saga improves as you progress through the Episodes, so I'm looking forward to continuing!

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, I've never played a dance with rogues and I'm curious about why do people love it?

Is it the story? The balanced combat and areas? What's the main selling point?

Sent from my X_10 using Tapatalk

Good use of skills in dialogues, good city exploration, many sidequests, some minor amount of choices within quests/different approaches, focus on stealth which is cool because NWN's combat sucks.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
i bought 2 copies of nwn 1 and a copy of nwn2 along with SOU for nwn1 off ebay

im gonna set these shit games on fire again, 22$ well spent baby

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished Prophet series. I swear for fuck sake, fuck the author for making me feel bad about decision at the end.

I chosen to defy Fate and let her fuck herself. What one world existence matters if there will exist uncounted worlds of people without prewriten destiny?

Erebus

Arcane
So, I've never played a dance with rogues and I'm curious about why do people love it?

The story is... rather special. But the module offers a lot of freedom, the attention to details is impressive and the focus on stealth instead of combat is nicely done.

The first half of the module is better than the second one and the sequel is worthless.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am playing Baldur Gate Reloaded, dat bg1 on nwn2 mod.

First, low level campaign, 10-.
Second, holy hannah traps~ The vanilla traps is fine, and dualed Imoen can fiddle with them. But TOSC traps will rape you. So a pure rogue, full 10 level with Skill Mastery is a must.
Third, low pace of leveling if you play with full party.
Fourth, stay away from ECL race for casters. You got limited levels, so you cant afford slow caster. Goodbye Viconia, with ECL2 we hardly knew thee~
Fifth, limited quest xp, which is one reason for the lack of xp. low level parties really struggle before outfitted with full gears, because there's no easy xp to be had~
Sixth, incorporated kaedrin pack, so there's a few new features to be had. It make the mod different to both NWN2 vanilla and BG1 vanilla.

So, is it bad? How much of a "BG vibe" does it actually give off?

Has anyone else played it ( http://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/794/? )?

laclongquan

Arcane
It's good. They are actually good points that new players should mind, not minus point.
The pure rogue need to be said because some people really dont like rogue.
Low pace of leveling is a good feature.
ECL for casters is a big nono and the loss of Viconia is a bit of a bummer. She can be used in low level for her melee alongside with her healing, but the time window is narrow.
Limited quest XP need to be said since we often dont realize they are why our party is so overpower in the first place.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been playing this campaign for a while- http://static.81.86.251.148.clients.your-server.de/project/nwn2/module/al-andalus

It's not bad if you don't mind staring at deserts for a large chunk of the game. In terms of of objectives it's pretty linear, your character ("An Umayyad prince on the lam" you'll hear that fucking often) keeps heading westward, finding support from one group after another to get back at the blokes what took your royal family etc. down. That said there are quite a few sidequests at each location if that floats your boat.

From the history side it's interesting enough, and there quite a few mechanics thrown in:
  • Prestige: Solving puzzles right, doing things the hard way instead of taking the easy way out(e.g. when you need 10000 gold to get horses to skip town, you could find ways to raise the cash, or simply take a loan and pay it off later, at the cost of prestige.) What that means is you can take the easy way at first, in exchange for difficulties later on, where a high prestige would give you a free pass. It's a nice mechanic but easily exploited. For example, in the first, you need to raise 10000 gold, but nobody is buying your weapons and armor. Raise gold by other means, head to the next settlement, sell arms and armor for more gold than you'll ever need.
  • There's a fair bit of puzzles about, which can be circumvented by throwing enough money at it, just like real life!
  • Nothing you do will directly affect your alignment, the campaign instead keeps an unofficial score based on which you can change alignment if you want to. Pretty good deal for all them types who hate alignment mechanics, in my opinion.
  • You can choose the race(within limits) and class of your companions, that's definitely a good thing in my book. Their alignments can also be random, not sure if that affects dialogues and interactions though. Companions do have Influence meters, not yet at the end, so no idea how that changes things, I've been insulting the strict Muslim bloke all throughout with nothing to show for it yet.
  • The game allows for party's highest skill to be checked in dialogue instead of just PC's. I'm ambivalent about it, as it makes sense, but can also double as I win buttan
Other than that, the game seems a bit buggy, but nothing a reload can't fix. Dungeons aren't annoyingly huge, nor are you expected to handle hueg hordes of enemies.

You are stuck with playing a Muslim dude, so make of that what you will.

Overall not a bad timesink if vaguely historic stuff interests you.
Oh, and it has titties. And
Ogre sex

laclongquan

Arcane
BG1 originally just drag on. I replay it lots of time and always abandon, latest even outside of that temple. Contrary to the expansion where I complete it without fails.

That module? Completed at 1st go.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
bg1 was boring why would anyone put it in an even worse engine when it's already in a boring engine

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Meh, it seems the second Episode of Bastard of Kosigan is bugged to fuck.

Don't even bother with this shit until it gets fixed (which is likely to be never).

Exile of the West (episode 1, that I covered in depth) also suffers from numerous bugs and stupid things; moreover someone has just reported that the new episode, just uploaded, is bug-ridden to the point of outweighing the pros.

So basically, I'm dropping this series and can't recommend it at all, despite how awesome it would be if they play-tested it better in the first place.

Just my opinion, but the worth of mod that forces you to wrestle with bugs, CTDs and second guess the author is equal to zero.

titus

Arcane
Patron
I've player and finished the entire Bastard of Kosigan series and didn't see any game breaking bugs. Maybe you have an older version?

eXalted

Arcane
Meh, it seems the second Episode of Bastard of Kosigan is bugged to fuck.

Don't even bother with this shit until it gets fixed (which is likely to be never).
Ah come on... I just recently read about it in your blog and was getting myself to play it these days. Is it that bad?

btbgfel

Scholar
Translanted Bastard of Kosigan Episode 2 won't have much problem if it's completed in one go. Reloading will cause ctd for certain, though. Translated episode 3 "Revelations" has the same problem.

Echo Mirage

Arcane

The story is... rather special. But the module offers a lot of freedom, the attention to details is impressive and the focus on stealth instead of combat is nicely done.

The first half of the module is better than the second one and the sequel is worthless.

Since a dance with rogues seems to be so popular. How come no one ever tried to fix part two after the mod maker fell off the grid?.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Since a dance with rogues seems to be so popular. How come no one ever tried to fix part two after the mod maker fell off the grid?.

Cause everyone thinks part 2 is crap compared to part 1, I guess.

eXalted

Arcane
I almost finished Part 1, what is so bad about Part 2?

Too much combat, not enough "RPG"? Trashmobs? Buggy? Not enough rape?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I've moved on to recounting Snow Hunt, a bounty hunter module by Rogueknight333 (author of the Swordflight Series).

Assume the role of an expert head-hunter, on the trail of an elusive illusionist!
Snow Hunt - Part I

The module is all the more impressive considering it was made in just one month as part of an "adventure building challenge". This is testament to both the author's skill and the Ease-of-Use of the Aurora toolset.

k6LQYn1.jpg

Will my NWN burn-out ever come?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom