Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

soulburner

Cipher
I've also been toying with NWN1 lately, specifically shader wrappers, model and texture overrides/hakpacks, and also camera hacks.

I found a cam hack last year that modified the exe to allow first-person perspective and extra zoom-out functionality for a semi-bird's eye view, but just recently I found camera hacks in shader apps which serve the same purpose and leave the exe untouched. 1st person is cool if you use WASD, plays FPS-like. The extra zoom-out just makes it easier to navigate larger maps.
[...]
Could you write some more about these hacks? I can never google anything...

baturinsky

Arcane
Maybe I'm shallow, but I'm turned off things on NWN engine purely because of graphics. Specifically gamma. IE games where so colourful, why everything in NWN should be parchment yellow?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Demonheart, another NWN mod in development with a female protagonist in the style of A Dance With Rogues.

Extreme content rating:

-needless graphical sex scenes, sometimes including the player character and sometimes non-consensual;
-descriptions of violence and sex;
-evil or vengeful player choices leading to something of the above;
-foul language – in modern English/slang, yes. You don't think the people in an invented world are really speaking English, do you?;
-heart eating, horror dreams and a few more potentially disturbing elements.

Features:

-a female player character
-a low magic world, low levels
-the protagonist resurrects after death, unless she fights someone who knows what she is and who's willing to kill her for good
-some of the companions are immortal, or can become immortal
-there are no clerics and no divine magic
-friendships and romances
-new bad boys for the poking
-bad girls as well, but only later
-too much talking :)
-player choices, as many as I can manage to implement
-grey morality (it gets seriously effed up in the later chapters)
-alignment shifts (if you don't like them, ignore them)
-riddles, only some of them avoidable
-darkness
-evil
-ugly things happening
-... :)

In progress, has a decent following. Prelude and Chapter 1 done, and playable. Chapter 2 in beta. Seems to be well-written, by a female modder.

Demonheart, another NWN mod in development with a female protagonist in the style of A Dance With Rogues.

Extreme content rating:

-needless graphical sex scenes, sometimes including the player character and sometimes non-consensual;
-descriptions of violence and sex;
-evil or vengeful player choices leading to something of the above;
-foul language – in modern English/slang, yes. You don't think the people in an invented world are really speaking English, do you?;
-heart eating, horror dreams and a few more potentially disturbing elements.

Features:

-a female player character
-a low magic world, low levels
-the protagonist resurrects after death, unless she fights someone who knows what she is and who's willing to kill her for good
-some of the companions are immortal, or can become immortal
-there are no clerics and no divine magic
-friendships and romances
-new bad boys for the poking
-bad girls as well, but only later
-too much talking :)
-player choices, as many as I can manage to implement
-grey morality (it gets seriously effed up in the later chapters)
-alignment shifts (if you don't like them, ignore them)
-riddles, only some of them avoidable
-darkness
-evil
-ugly things happening
-... :)

In progress, has a decent following. Prelude and Chapter 1 done, and playable. Chapter 2 in beta. Seems to be well-written, by a female modder.
Chapter 2 is fully playable, although somewhat buggy in places. Author works really slow though, I'm not sure we'll ever see chapter 3. Demonheart chapters is way smaller than ADwR (well, as is almost any NWN1 mod though), and are more linear. Decent-to-good characters, some choices and consequences, mostly storyfag module. Three custom classes (not really custom though, more like underpowered versions, because of main character's origin) - bard, fighter, rogue. Decent setting, although I wish that author have spent more time on it and somewhat less on the characters. All in all it's a good module, and also Rance-approved.
76RSotM.png

eremita

Savant
Is there some track list of graphic/texture overhaul mods? This game actually looks lovely when someone really commits. I would like to see some "global" mod though, because it looks pretty bad when your character/certain objects looks like from another game while vanilla still looks like shit...

DramaticPopcorn

If you're talking nwn2, then I don't believe there is a single mod that helps visuals for vanilla or addon campaings, save for better terrain textures.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
There's a facelift pak, then there's mods called boring things like tree textures, floorboards, paving stones, curbs and bricks! And just simple stuff like that to throw in your override, which then looks at odds with the neglected aspects.

There is nothing like Project Q and Q Campaigns for NWN2, from my experience.

I prefer the cleaner look of NWN1, anyway.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
GoG has the game for potato and my Xmas bonus was okay so I thought why not spoil myself with some storyfaggottry in MoB plus some old fashioned D&D build tinkering in SoZ.

That's nice all and all, but if I remember something from NWN1 is that despite the crappy story you had this vastful amount of mods and server shards and stuff and given that I'm a lazy fuck with a job I'd rather the codex told me what to get and what to avoid.

tl;dr gameplay and content mods for NWN2 firstly, and which stories or community shards are worth exploring.

Last edited:

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
The only good thing about NWN2 is Mask of the Betrayer.
Play it a couple of times then uninstall the game.

You won't miss much.

Erebus

Arcane
Play MotB at least twice. The evil path is really good, but you probably shouldn't try it the first time.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Wait, MoB is a game where you can be truly evil and not just a loveable jerk like in Jedy Academy?

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I tried the IWD mod once, because I wanted all the cool prestige classes and shit, but I gave up pretty quickly. It's not even the clunkiness of the engine that's the main problem, but the fact that both you and your enemies see a lot farther than in Infinity Engine. The areas are way too small for that, and it means that when you attack the first goblins in Kuldahar Pass, you get attacked by almost every enemy in the valley.

It ruins the balance completely :balance:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Wut why would you want to play these games in possibly the worst game engine to ever exist?
I don't know.
And I don't know why anyone would port Icewind Dale (2?) and Baldur's Gate into that engine.
But someone did it. And someone play it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom