Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights is 15 years old!

Sykar

Arcane
It doesn't look bad to me at all, no idea what you people are banging on about. The textures aren't muddy or anything and the square-ish design of the buildings looks like an architectural choice, rather than a limitation. The somewhat limited field of view reminds me of Silent Hill, i.e. adding to the "atmosphere".

It looks terrible compared to Infinity Games. It is blocky, choppy, the animations and spell effects are pretty lame. Presentationwise it was not that good even when it was relased.

I've tried playing swordflight but the game kept crashing when I looked at the contents of certain containers (a dead slave in the stables, piles of rubble in the sewers). It got me so scared I never opened it (the game) again.

User error.

Yeah, I don't dispute that. Just a bit of care making the seams less obvious would be nice is all, as a matter of personal taste.

It's not personal taste; seemless is always better. But the simplicity aided in modding. Just like the simple tilesets did. NWN2 sculpted terrains look better, but it takes a modder much longer to churn them out.

They spend so much time sculpting stuff like this...

1b.jpg

1a.jpg

.. And that's one reason NWN2 has no Swordflight equivalent.

It got MotB though.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've tried playing swordflight but the game kept crashing when I looked at the contents of certain containers (a dead slave in the stables, piles of rubble in the sewers). It got me so scared I never opened it (the game) again.

User error.

Yeah, I don't dispute that. Just a bit of care making the seams less obvious would be nice is all, as a matter of personal taste.

It's not personal taste; seemless is always better. But the simplicity aided in modding. Just like the simple tilesets did. NWN2 sculpted terrains look better, but it takes a modder much longer to churn them out.

They spend so much time sculpting stuff like this...

.. And that's one reason NWN2 has no Swordflight equivalent.
Weird, wc3 released much better and it had easier sculpting of terrain. Sure, you could do quick and easy stuff but also really good looking terrain if you knew how.

ore clover

Learned
Who cares about rez? The images posted showcase the style alluded to by Lacrymas. One that NWN2 and lots of 3d RPGs that came after lack. No point having high rez textures and high poly models when your artwork lacks flair.
I usually don't bother with "new and improved" texture packs for older games, but I do like boosting the games to higher resolutions when possible. In my opinion it helps clean up and sharpen the visuals, enhancing the aesthetics without butchering the original vision.

Morrowind's character models are ugly, but in a uniquely weird (thus distinctive) way so that the better bodies/faces mods just look too out of place for me. The environment art is the real star.
I hear you, but there's some downright goofy stuff to look past. Due to that, I think it's a bit unfair to give Morrowind props while calling Neverwinter fugly.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Who cares about rez? The images posted showcase the style alluded to by Lacrymas. One that NWN2 and lots of 3d RPGs that came after lack. No point having high rez textures and high poly models when your artwork lacks flair.
I usually don't bother with "new and improved" texture packs for older games, but I do like boosting the games to higher resolutions when possible. In my opinion it helps clean up and sharpen the visuals, enhancing the aesthetics without butchering the original vision.

I agree. If I hate one thing about graphics, those are... well, pixelated 2D sprites in a 3D environment. But my second gripe are blurry and pixelated graphics and jagged edges.
For example I hated the Dark Souls console-grade blurry gfx, but loved the game after using GeDoSaTo to oversample it x4 and making it beautifully crisp and sharp.
Fortunately NWN1 GFX handles higher resolutions and AA very well and it's very simple here to have crisp and elegant GFX.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Even without texture mods NWN1 looks pretty sweet sometimes:

MXfbXrD.png

More than graphics, I think the issue with NWN2's editor is overall accessibility. NWN1 anyone with no previous experience could boot up and quickly make something silly - and that open their minds to the possibility of making cool stuff. NWN2 editor's is much more powerful, but it's quite intimidating next to NWN1's. Obsidian made it for other devs & expert modders, not for the general public.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Man, I'm tempted to give my brother a call so we can co-op through NWN1 all over again. Then I remember that OC. :cry:

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

laclongquan

Arcane
NWN2 also got

Baldur's Gate Reloaded

Icewind Dale Module

Pool Radiance Remastered

I never played those. Though I find BG and IWD in NWN 2 engine to be pointless. Those games look great still in my eyes.

If you have never played those how can you have any sort of proper opinion about them? Without being blowing hot air, I mean.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
My best online RP experience was on an NWN persistent server. I don't even remember what it was called, but I remember how great it was.

Nothing, to date, has duplicated that.

That's one of the things I haven't yet delved into (PWs). I don't doubt they represent the height of NWN entertainment, though.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Spent years on Polish Orb of Abrogation server... eh, those were the days.

And yeah, no Open World or MMO-type game comes close.

Deleted member 7219

One of the best games ever made.

And the best toolset ever made.

My best online RP experience was on an NWN persistent server. I don't even remember what it was called, but I remember how great it was.

Nothing, to date, has duplicated that.

Glorwing was good. Always a few DMs online. You could go on even when it looked empty of other players, start doing stuff, and a DM would often join in. Never experienced that since.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom