Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights is 15 years old!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Revisiting NWN and Interview with Trent Oster.

Also, best NWN and NWN2 mods.

module.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But it wasn't even that good? Way more effort was put into it being super moddable and allowing players to make campaigns than was put into it being actually fun.

In 50 years it'll be remembered solely as that thing some guys made Mask of the Betrayer on.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But it wasn't even that good? Way more effort was put into it being super moddable and allowing players to make campaigns than was put into it being actually fun.
And then modders made fun campaigns & mods! Don't you wish modern BioWare was like that, instead of a fantasy dating sim company?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In 50 years it'll be remembered solely as that thing some guys made Mask of the Betrayer on.

Who remembers Mask of the Betrayer today?

One of this community's blind spots is that seems to think that Mask of the Betrayer is a much bigger thing than what it actually was - a little-known expansion for a game that kind of sucked.

Andhaira

Arcane
And then modders made fun campaigns & mods! Don't you wish modern BioWare was like that, instead of a fantasy dating sim company?

There wasn't any fun campaign, simply because the underlying system was broken. You couldn't have a proper party, only 1 hireling.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm with Andhaira, single character D&D by the rules is a snoozefest. The "best" campaigns are the ones that ignore the system entirely and are just walking and talking sims.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm with Andhaira, single character D&D by the rules is a snoozefest. The "best" campaigns are the ones that ignore the system entirely and are just walking and talking sims.

Yep, I've said it before - NWN's true and sadly under-realized purpose was to provide a platform for creating Fallout 1-like single character "adventure RPGs" based around dialogue, exploration and skill use, with combat as a secondary element.

laclongquan

Arcane
I have installed NWN1 for a month.
I reluctantly played around with OC for 1 hour in creating characters.
I reluctantly played around with Hordes of Underdark for 1 hour in creating characters.
I rather played to completion a so-so game, UFO Extraterrestrial. The game is worse than UFO Aftershock and Afterlight.
I rather reinstalled and played for 2 hour Fallout Tactics, Redux mod, something I am not actually that positive about (Redux modder's philosophy is a bit unagreeable to me)
So yeah, there's huge problem with NWN1 and the way it draw my interests.
Say what you will about NWN2OC, but it's more attractive than 1.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Who remembers Mask of the Betrayer today?

Just me and Ventilator, I guess? Done a few recent blog write-ups.

One of this community's blind spots is that seems to think that Mask of the Betrayer is a much bigger thing than what it actually was - a little-known expansion for a game that kind of sucked.

Haven't read any posts in that vein. Mostly it just gets praise for being monocled. Top 5 campaign for me. Better than PS:T. Also, by far the best campaign Obsidian has made.

But this post is about NWN, not NWN2. 15 years for NWN2 is in 2021.

hellbent

Augur
Guess it's time for another playthrough. Probably spent hundreds of hours in NWN modules during the dark years with few, if any releases of new RPGs.

The repetitive stock PC voices have become endearing to me in a way. I'll always remember using the Prince / Little Richard / Brother Love "High Strung Evangelist" voice on my PC:

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Making an overpowered Arcane Archer character for HotU was p awesome. And you can also romance Aribeth or that homo tiefling dude. And you get to collect "true names" of a shit ton of characters and make them do w/e sick shit you can think of.

Best NWN campaign, would install again.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I remember when I launched NWN for the first time. I just sat back and listened to the awesome main menu track. And then I went to the character creation menu and looked thru all the portraits. Such high quality stuff.

IIRC they replaced the menu track with another one in one of the later patches. Come to think of it, the game received a shit ton of updates, e.g. they added proper sky boxes for the people who play the game zoomed in, and there were also official creature packs included in the updates, like they would add a bunch of high quality models for the creatures that don't even appear anywhere in the game, just for use in the user made modules.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I remember when I launched NWN for the first time. I just sat back and listened to the awesome main menu track. And then I went to the character creation menu and looked thru all the portraits. Such high quality stuff.

IIRC they replaced the menu track with another one in one of the later patches. Come to think of it, the game received a shit ton of updates, e.g. they added proper sky boxes for the people who play the game zoomed in, and there were also official creature packs included in the updates, like they would add a bunch of high quality models for the creatures that don't even appear anywhere in the game, just for use in the user made modules.

It's a funny thing about both NWN games that installing the expansions (only the second one in the case of NWN1) changes the main menu theme FOREVER. People who buy the complete editions today might never hear them.

BG2 got this right by giving Throne of Bhaal a separate main menu.

hellbent

Augur
Arcane Archer + Boots of the Shifting Sands = Easy Mode

I know I should just ignore dem boots, but I can't help myself and will always get the Boots of the SS or Boots of Speed just so I can make the backtracking MUCH more tolerable.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
One of my favorite games of all time. People have to realize that NWN's potential is basically unlimited, it very much depends on the creativity and skill of the creator of any given campaign. The game deserves an in-depth write-up, but Lilura is already on top of that and I really can't add anything else that hasn't been said a million times. Here's to another 15.

P.S. Go play Swordflight.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom