Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark and Aielund Saga

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
You invaded poor Lich's island and destroyed peaceful undead community for nothing? Well, at least you got Sir Godfrey's loot now.

Raging Undead wielding fists of fire - this is the coolest thing I've heard in a whole week. There was a thread somewhere on 'dex, "what monster you wished to see more often" or smth. Definetely Raging Undead wielding fists of fire, hell yes!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't any dnd lich have True Seeing ability by default? It's not like he looks at you with sensitive blue eyes or anything. Not mentioning he is A LICH, which is supposed to be demigod-level creature.

Or is it just me?

Rpgsaurus Rex

This made me want to reinstall NWN but I'm running into a problem. I put in the CEP and Aielund hak / module files inside the respective nwn folders but the module crashes whenever I try to load a character (halfway through the "Loading module..." phase). This doesn't happen with any other module, so I assume I screwed up this particular mod install though I have no idea how. Any suggestions?

Tried both CEP 2.4 and 2.6 (using links here http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/aielund-saga-act-i-nature-abhors-vacuum-v201) with the same result, the installation page tells me I only need Aielund hak packs (http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/aielund-hakpack-v20) on top of that. Tried adding the (optional?) texture files but that didn't change anything.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This made me want to reinstall NWN but I'm running into a problem. I put in the CEP and Aielund hak / module files inside the respective nwn folders but the module crashes whenever I try to load a character (halfway through the "Loading module..." phase). This doesn't happen with any other module, so I assume I screwed up this particular mod install though I have no idea how. Any suggestions?

Tried both CEP 2.4 and 2.6 (using links here http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/aielund-saga-act-i-nature-abhors-vacuum-v201) with the same result, the installation page tells me I only need Aielund hak packs (http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/aielund-hakpack-v20) on top of that. Tried adding the (optional?) texture files but that didn't change anything.

Had the same problem. I did a re-install and ran the updater, which seemed to fix it. (Thanks go out to Lilura and eremita for the help)

Rpgsaurus Rex

Had the same problem. I did a re-install and ran the updater, which seemed to fix it. (Thanks go out to Lilura and eremita for the help)

I tried to do this now:

1) reinstalled NWN diamond ed (GoG version)
2) ran the updater
3) copied the .mod file and .hak files from from the "aielund-hakpack-v20" into their respective folders
4) tried to run Aielund without manual CEP install (the updater told me it was installiing a 'community patch' so I thought maybe that was that?) - doesn't load, says custom tables are missing
5) manually copied the CEP 2.6 files into nwn folder - same problem as before (crashes at 75%)

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Those who have the GoG version seem to think it's good practice to install as normal then apply 1.69 Critical Rebuild.

I don't use the GoG version so I can't confirm it for you, but it might be worth a try. I've used 1.69 for years, and never had probs running community content.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
:bravo:

Why didn't Castellan backstab Criosa earlier, when he kidnapped her? It's not like he wanted a ransom. He couldn't let her go, either. And there was no point in keeping her a hostage forever. The villains in this Saga are incomprehensive for me.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
That is one fast-paced Saga. From lvl1 kimono to epic loot-n'-dragonslayin' in just a few months?

Councilors of Aielund are so damn fabulous:lol:

Criosa joined your party as Damsel in Distress lvl18.

I didn't get this part:
Someone appears to have been searching for something. - PC.

4WwSPu1.jpg

But the duergar said they were looking for "big sceptre thing". I know they are not the brightest lot, but who the hell searches for big sceptres is libraries?

Unless he lied, that is.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Robert Black is awesome, especially love some of the flavor dialog with him talking about how he was an adventurer like you, got rich and decided to start a mercenary company because he was getting old. Then Lilura comes along ruins his retirement plans AND manages to cut one his eyes out, so he's just like "Fuck it, back on the road I go."

A rather nice representation of a neutral character that isn't just another druid of balance stereotype.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Duergar are dumb as dog shit, but yeah, they and the Shadow Dragon were pretty much in a panic about the Ironlord returning so basically just tearing the place apart in their search. I'm not sure what sort of scepter they were looking for, there's a suggestion from the DM that the Dwarf King was concealing info about a scepter (in two flavor dialogues), but then no option to pull him up on the issue. I'm thinking it's a remnant of what the author later abandoned. I've seen a few hints of other things abandoned, too. But still, the holes aren't all that gaping and it's a pretty ambitious project for one guy as is...

CEP fashions are "out there", for sure. His beard and moustache also disturbed me.

Anyone who dual-wields bastard swords is awesome, I had a dwarf in IWD2 who did that and he kept up with the half-orc great axe wielder. I just dumped Robert for Nellise, though. I didn't hire Spartan the dragonling either (another fighter). Need moar spellcaster and versatility.

Thanks for the comments once again, guys.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just figured the Dragon and duergar had also been fooled into thinking the Scepter of Transcendence was real, and might be found with the Dwarves.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Btw, if you're playing this did you get all the relevant files, I had some missing in Act Two (Aielund_finale.hak, I think it was).

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Dovahkiin, is that you?

This part has all the best dialogues so far. Corrupt dragon, dwarver mason mocking heroic knight, Dante sending his waifu to fight a bunch of dragon by herself - classic.

The trading company part was the most trolling one, though. Slander, falsification, buisness capture - all for the simple worker's sake, of course. So paladin-ish!

Also, this:

Lilura: Do you have the authority to impound the goods coming in?
Kilian: No, but YOU do your Ladyship.
PRINCESS Criosa: Umm...
Thinking to herself: should I remind them that I can actually force the company to pay fair wages? Or apply fines? Raise taxation? Offer other jobs to dock workers? Pay dat salary from royal treasury?

Nah, it ain't fun. Let's do some shady things and watch her Ladyship spend 50 grand on buisness she knows nothin' about! That will either bring her good old semi-honest profit, or going to be most hilarious financial failure!

All for the good of dock workers, of course.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I didn't do it for the dockworkers, I did it for teh +EXP.

Great comments, Grim.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Hasrinaxx: It is the city of Acadia, Lilura, and you will be the second outsider to view it's magnificent streets in nearly three hundred years.
Lilura: Very well, I'm ready to go.
Princess Criosa: ... Umm.
Nellise: Shh! We are inventory.

Operator: Hello, you've reached phone sex sevice for role-playing gamers. You must be of legal age in order to proceed.

How should the dialogue between King Lomir and PC look like:

King Lomir Alodel: The reason we asked you here was to bring us more recent information, so that we might determine our role in events that time around.
Lilura: ... And you asked Hasrinaxx to bring me here.
King: Correct.
Lilura: Hasrinaxx. You know, the druid that was spying on me from day one?
King: Errr...
Lilura: The one that provided SALINDER, the goddamn DRAGON with information about me and overall world situation all that time?
King: Uh-huh.
Lilura: Of course, you are too good for such a petty source of information. You needed me. By the way, meet Princess Criosa. I'm sure she won't tell abybody about your secluded location. In any case, it was worth the risk, right? My info is certainly better than that of Hasrinaxx.
King: Anyway! You must pass the test!
Lilura: I killed a small army of dragons yesterday. Casualy. That's what I do between breakfast and luch. Screw your tests. Actually, why do I need your reinforcements, anyways? So long.
King: But! Fuck! Save us from demons, boo-hoo.
Lilura: You could say that right away, you idiot. I'm a paladin, I do that just for lulz! Also, for exp and loot. Show me the way.

Enjoyed the update as usual. Don't stop.
:bro:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Ok, I've stopped laughing... you'll be pleased to know the next update features yet another flock of dragons as I enter into epic levels, including one twice the size of those romped thus far.

With this in mind, I have to wonder what the Fort Highmarch finale holds in store, and also what epicness Act Four might hold - it consists of three separate modules and I think you can reach like lvl35...

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Ok, I've stopped laughing... you'll be pleased to know the next update features yet another flock of dragons as I enter into epic levels, including one twice the size of those romped thus far.

With this in mind, I have to wonder what the Fort Highmarch finale holds in store, and also what epicness Act Four might hold - it consists of three separate modules and I think you can reach like lvl35...

I can hardly wait. Maybe King Lomir will give you another quest at that point, like "Remember those gods that pwnd us and our elven city? Can you go up there and pwn them yourself pls? They might have good loot on them".

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
The far southwest of the foothills leads to the High Plains, upon which the barb fort stands. The cold no longer inflicts damage as it did in the heart of winter.

Barbarian Warrior: Hold, stranger! By what right do you enter our lands?
Lilura: Right? I wasn't aware I had to obtain permission.
Princes Criosa: *remains silent*
:troll:

Later that day.

Princess Criosa: More dragons! Something must have shaken them up, for so many to attack my land at once.

The dialogue with Valennia is too good to even comment:lol: Haven't laughed so hard the whole week.

The last scene - best storytelling ever. And reactions too ("Oh no, you'll be killed!")

Also, Valennia is such a casul, complaining about the cold and stuff. We both know who could teach her a thing or two about tolerating cold.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I like the story and the writing. Some dialogue moments make me lol hard. Like

Classic.

But I just can't miss an opportunity.

Lady Saffron standing casually near the city well.

Only noticed during wall inspection. Coz you know, who ever walks in that part of the city? It's just a well. Nice conspiration on vampire's part as well - setting up secret entrance in such secluded place.

So. Lady Saffron doesn't know she's a vampire, yet stays under overhang during daytime. I guess she jes doesn't want to get sunburned.

Anyway, what kind of vampires are these guys?

That would a mighty interesting plot twist, like vampire vegetarians or smth. If maybe, I don't know, IT WAS EXPLAINED at some point?

Talking about unexplained things. What's the deal between Carthach and Arminus? They were arguing... about what?

Err, how is he danger to mortals again? You don't even seem to be feedinig on them. Not on city residents, at least. Ok, the vampire code thingie seems appropriate reason to keep hiding down there.

But why did Carthach want to make contact with Baron in the first place?

So that's the reason - to pass the relic that can possibly kill that Ironlord guy! That's what everybody wants, I guess. Even vampires.

Carthach wanted to give it away, while Arminus wanted to... give it away AND kill Carthach? No, wait.

Carthach wanted to give it to Baron in person, while Arminus didn't mind parting with the relic, just doing it incognito? Why is it a bad thing, again? Just toss the damn sceptre with an instructions note under the Baron's door.

Seriously, what was the whole point of alliance thing between vamps and Highmarch?

Persuading Marquis to visit negotiations was the best.

Lilura: *blames the King of Aielund for causing misunderstanding*
Angevin: *parries it with "I don't care, I have my pride and principles" thing*
Lilura: *swears on her life and honour that there is a dire threat of world's end*
Angevin: *not convinced, he has some Pride and Principles*
Lilura: Do you have better things to do?
Angevin: No.

SUCCESS! Best argument of all times.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
It really does have that feel of a new overly eager DM trying to RP all the NPC's :lol:. Continuously running headfirst into the ever blunt Lilura foiling his carefully laid plans, with Grimwulf the veteran campaigner and ever sarcastic familiar companion for comedic relief :lol:.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Hi guys, sorry but I'm not cross-posting to teh Codex anymore, I just can't be assed with linking to 30-40 images each time I update.

This is the next post, though:

The Aielund Saga: Act Three - Part VI

There are now already two more posts after that and a third one coming, everyone is welcome to comment here or there, but I won't be bumping this topic anymore after this.

Thanks go out to all who posted here, but especially to Grimwulf and Dreaad for your many informative and amusing comments!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom