Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark and Aielund Saga

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I might be doing the pacing some justice, but not the writing. This guy can really put words together, create characters, craft a world and tell a story - I think he's an accomplished novelist now. Plus he's got the technical proficiency with the toolset to make his areas ooze atmosphere (ambiance, music, lightning) despite the age of Aurora, and his low level combat encounters aren't a snoozefest. Really looking forward to his mid and high lvl stuff...

I've hung onto some gear just in case, but I really can't hoard much like in Hordes where everyone has 30 STR. Basically like one spare armor, one or two weapons, a ring and ranged weapons. A stave. And light stuff like ammo, spell scrolls, potions.

Just recruited a barb, but I'd say he's only gonna be temporary. I'm glad I had a greataxe +1 for him and a spare armor and helm. He's gonna be in the next update.

titus

Arcane
Patron
I really liked Aielund back when I first played it. After you finish this I recommend Amazon Warrior. Total conversion(lore, rules, items, etc) with a fairly good story.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was wondering if anyone else has had any problems with NWN crashing when trying to load the Aielund modules?
I have the various haks on the new vault, as well as the CEP, and I cannot figure out why it won't start.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Those mercenaries are a pain with their high ac. Especially when you start encountering diversified groups of clerics, mages, crossbow bastards with poison bolts, rogues and two dudes with tower shields. I had to re-stock up on potions and heal kits.

Good job with Rulash too, first time I fought him he doorway blocked my entire group, whilst the druid spammed buffs and lightning, I got party wiped.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Hell yes, I'm really feeling enemy +AC now as I take on the merc hideout. Dante is hitting lots of air with his dual-wielding and I'm not doing much better. Buffing is essential.

I might have just got lucky with the Erag encounter, but my AC is solid enough that I can sort of stand and deliver. And the druid wasn't able to get much off.

I don't remember official content having gold limits for merchants, do you? I can sell things at their full value (dependent on reaction roll and appraise), but the merchants only seem to have so much gold. Eventually, you can't sell to them. There are enough merchants to sell my gear to, at this point, but it's just an observation.

Also, was Criosa able to detect and disarm traps for you, I thought it was supposed to be automatic for Henchmen? I see only dialogue choices to toggle traps on/off and recover traps.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Loot gets better and better. The Vault was a big one.

Isn't it strange that you can't recognize the spells your henchmen casting? I can't remember shit about vanilla, or about original pen&paper rules on that regard. But hell, I could imagine my group chillin' at the campfire and listening to mage:"Guys, when u see funny red sparcles in the air, and hear me crying FUEHBOLL - you'd better get down, coz I'll throw some flame in just a moment. We magic dudes call that "FIREBALL". Just so you know".

High Plains look awesome, all dat snow in the night.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
High Plains sound good, too. The author's gone all out with the ambience.

I've pumped Spellcraft a little now, so I can sort of read what Nellise is casting sometimes (there's still a random roll factor). In the next update I'll list what her buffs exactly are, at least. Thankfully, she's only casting party-friendly AoE so far (Hammer of the Gods).

And yeah, in PnP you generally know what your allies are gonna cast because most people do recon then huddle around and formulate a plan together, then they have to tell the DM anyway.

Last edited:

Dreaad

Arcane
Hell yes, I'm really feeling enemy +AC now as I take on the merc hideout. Dante is hitting lots of air with his dual-wielding and I'm not doing much better. Buffing is essential.

I might have just got lucky with the Erag encounter, but my AC is solid enough that I can sort of stand and deliver. And the druid wasn't able to get much off.

I don't remember official content having gold limits for merchants, do you? I can sell things at their full value (dependent on reaction roll and appraise), but the merchants only seem to have so much gold. Eventually, you can't sell to them. There are enough merchants to sell my gear to, at this point, but it's just an observation.

Also, was Criosa able to detect and disarm traps for you, I thought it was supposed to be automatic for Henchmen? I see only dialogue choices to toggle traps on/off and recover traps.
I think Shadows of Somethingtide had some merchants that had limited gold. I also don't think that actually continues in act 2, or maybe it's level dependent or something and their gold pile increases proportionately *shrugs*.
Criosa is kind of a neat touch. She's a very heavily edited rogue who can't do a lot of things rogue's can do i.e. wear light armor, or disarm traps. She is after all just a princess with some rapier training.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Ok, it's just that she has 12 in all rogue skills and seems to have no problem entering stealth when asked to and she does detect (but won't disable) traps.

On another note, I like how corpses stay on the ground instead of just turning into loot bags. You can take armor from them and leave them in their underwear. Over time, the corpses also turn to bones. Not sure if CEP or native to Aielund, but a nice touch.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mmm... So you can run official content and other mods, just not Aielund? Are you patched to 1.69?

Yes, but after a fresh reinstall, it suddenly works... Strange..
If you have a GOG version, it's not actually patched to 1.69 version even though it says it is. You need to download the critical rebound patch.

That explains it. I ran the upodater the first time, and it said 1.69. The second time I let it download whatever it was, and it worked.

Jason Liang

Arcane
This is your first time through Aeilund? I also loved Act I but got burned out in the middle of Act II. Also I discovered that one of the Act II NPCs was playing the exact same race/ class combination as my PC, which is no fun. I've tried coming back to Aeilund using a non-redundant race/ class combo but then didn't want to slog through the highlands again, and also can't decide to make a male or female PC.

I noticed reading the old NWN posts that 1) some mention of The Prophet but it's often left off the "must play" lists, which it shouldn't. In fact Baldercan's Honor Among Thieves actually gets more Codex love. Also, almost no mention whatsoever for Crimsons Tides of Tethyr which is easily the jewel of the earlier modules. I was curious if you've played those and how you would rate them.

This is your first time through Aeilund? I also loved Act I but got burned out in the middle of Act II. Also I discovered that one of the Act II NPCs was playing the exact same race/ class combination as my PC, which is no fun. I've tried coming back to Aeilund using a non-redundant race/ class combo but then didn't want to slog through the highlands again, and also can't decide to make a male or female PC.

I noticed reading the old NWN posts that 1) some mention of The Prophet but it's often left off the "must play" lists, which it shouldn't. In fact Baldercan's Honor Among Thieves actually gets more Codex love. Also, almost no mention whatsoever for Crimsons Tides of Tethyr which is easily the jewel of the earlier modules. I was curious if you've played those and how you would rate them.

Crimson Tides and the entire series it's part of is really good though Tyrants of the Moonsea is too short and cuts abruptly.

Prophet is good as well. I remember the storytelling being the good part of the mob. Was especially fun if you played as a mage.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
This is your first time through Aeilund?

Yes. Loving it.

Also, almost no mention whatsoever for Crimsons Tides of Tethyr which is easily the jewel of the earlier modules.

That was the first large module I played, many years ago, and I absolutely adored it (I mentioned it earlier in this thread). I've only played Hex Coda 01, Akkei's Orcs and Breach, Darkness Over Daggerford, Shadowlords, War of Tableegh and Gates of Myth Drannor. Only completed a few of those, as I got burned out/bugs/reformatted etc.

Dreaad

Arcane

Act 2 is a bit rough it's true but it had enough interesting encounters (and some fun items to find) to see me through. I think one of the reason I really enjoyed the modules overall is that the creator isn't afraid to throw monsters or groups of enemies at you that are actually higher level than you and come with nasty abilities. I also find it kind of odd that you quit partly due to henchmen... since there is three different ones and you can only have two with you and they are all available at the start...

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
The wizard then casts Dispel Magic on me while I'm being heavily flanked by the grunts, but only succeeds in removing my Freedom of Movement (see feedback window).

UrD0AS4.jpg

Wait, wasn't that 2d20 he was throwing? Speaking of BAD luck...

The smell of goblins and death permeates the air.

That moment when DM tries to be serious, but you can't resist giggling.

Also,

"I don't really know how to use armour", - Princess Criossa Roebec.

I'm sure that torn rags are much more fittin' than those uncomfy chainmails and leather hauberks. Besides, less clothing makes Dante happy.

Level Up to 9!
Lilura: Champion of Torm (1) / Paladin (4)/ Fighter (4), Divine Might

Why not develop CoT first? Paladin level only make significant difference on lvl 10+, when you get some more or less decent buffs.
I'm a sclerotic noob tho.

That man just doesn't give a damn about being dead and ressurected. Right, what's the big deal? Jesus is overrated.

Also, "Level Up failed for princess" made me lol. Poor girl, she tries so hard.

Not sure what's happening on that pic. Is that a brothel on the left? Is it the real reason Dante left?

Maybe it's just Nelisse. Chillin' outside, embracing the nature.

Anyway, good as always. The battle with Robert Black and his henchmen was epic as hell. And Black himself looks awesome. Not sure if I ever saw any other horsemen in all of NWN series.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Wait, wasn't that 2d20 he was throwing?

Dispel Magic.

That site is an incredibly thorough resource, btw.

I'm sure that torn rags are much more fittin' than those uncomfy chainmails and leather hauberks.

I'm truly at a loss as to why the author prevents her from wearing light armor, I mean she's Rogue (6). She can and does fight. She can also perform all rogue utility actions. There must be some scripting or other technical reason why she shouldn't be equipped with it, perhaps later it's explained.

Why not develop CoT first?

Fret not, I'll be taking CoT for my next two levels, then back to Pally for Divine Shield. I realized I just don't feel like a Pally without Divine Might and Divine Shield...

Also, "Level Up failed for princess" made me lol. Poor girl, she tries so hard.

Must be another technical limitation why she can't just have a level up script...

Not sure what's happening on that pic. Is that a brothel on the left? Is it the real reason Dante left?

Maybe it's just Nelisse. Chillin' outside, embracing the nature.

Yeah, Nellise is stripped of her items there. They're both in their undies in the last pic, Dante also left with 1 HP. I hope he doesn't stub a toe on the journey back to the ranger lodge... they were both quite likeable Henchman, actually.

Not sure if I ever saw any other horsemen in all of NWN series.

Not in the official expansions, no. Wyvern Crown of Cormyr featured mounts, but I've never played it.

Anyway, here are my Henchmen options in Act 2:

Ronan Aethur: True Neutral Half-Elf Rogue (9)

Has bracers that grant Weapon Specialization: Short Sword. Is a good dual-wielder, and I have good items for him. Personality is interesting.

aJO09wE.jpg

Valennia Far-Eagle: Chaotic Neutral Human Barbarian (9)

She has greatsword weapons feats, including Improved Critical. Plus Barb Rage.

OtJ2iAF.jpg

Sir William Bryce-Cliffton: Lawful Good Human Paladin (9)

DZuOo6o.jpg

Maggie Faithweather: True Neutral Halfling Druid (9)

Ooeyg9A.jpg

Barring any protests from you guys, I'm going with the rogue and druid.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Valennia has some extra content compared to the others.

Fighter and CoT levels might be better off taken at epic levels, since they can take epic feats for their bonus feats. That's actually the best advantage of the fighter class, as every other class needs to be level 10 (or 20) to get their epic feats, while Fighter gets them immediately when you get character level 21+ (and of course has the best bonus feat rate of every 2 levels). The caveats are that you probably should take at least 4 levels in Fighter in non-epic levels anyway since that's the requirement for Weapon Specialization (so even if you could take an epic feat at fighter 4 you would choose Weapon Specialization instead). As for CoT, it's probably most advantageous to take as close to 10 levels in non-epic as possible, since CoT's saving throw progression is only surpassed by Monk (gets 2/3 superior saving throw progression). Of course, since Aeilund doesn't go up to level 40, it's a little moot.

For example, a Fighter that takes 4 levels pre-epic and 8 post-epic could take the following progression of fighter bonus feats:
fighter 1: Weapon Focus
fighter 2: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (or Power Attack, Cleave or Improved Critical)
fighter 4: Weapon Specialization
fighter 6: Armor Skin
fighter 8: Epic Damage Reduction 1
fighter 10: Epic Damage Reduction 2
fighter 12: Epic Damage Reduction 3

Basically a character than plans to have more than 4 levels of Fighter can gain extra epic feats, like Armor Skin, Devastating Critical, Overwhelming Critical, Epic Damage Reduction or Epic Weapon Focus, instead of non-epic feats like Dodge. This is exclusive to Fighters, Champions of Torm, Rangers, Rogues, Wizards and Harper Scouts because they get class bonus feats before epic level.

Meanwhile, there are very specialized Champion of Torm builds that max Wisdom by taking nearly all their Champion of Torm levels at epic for Greater Wisdom (so in essence using the CoT bonus feats for +5 Wisdom).

Also note that for Lilura's particular build, Divine Might and Divine Shield MUST be taken with normal feat progression and can only be taken when leveling up with the Paladin (or Cleric) class. That means to get both feats, Paladin MUST be taken at 6/9/12/15 or 18. If you take Champion of Torm or Fighter at those levels, Divine Might and Divine Shield wont be available (and you would have to wait 3 more levels to take them again).

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Unlike my Arcane Archer in Hordes, this build should be pretty optimal for +AC, +saves and maxing average damage. I'll have Improved Critical: Longsword, Divine Shield, Great Cleave and Extra Turning (for +DM/+DS castings) by level 20. At level 21 I take CoT for Epic Weapon Focus and Epic Weapon Specialization: Longsword feats, after which I take more CoTs (how many depends on Aielund). For combat skills, I just pump Discipline but will eschew Tumble (+AC) in favor of Spellcraft, simply because knowing what is being casted (as they're casting it) makes the experience more informative and interesting.

I'll have to self-buff pretty often, but I don't mind. This is a solid, balanced build that shouldn't need rest or medkit spam, and a good change from my last melee run of Hordes with an extreme DPS Weapon Master (which became boring).

Note that Devastating Critical has been disabled in Aielund due to OPness.

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
The writing is just great, both yours and in-game. Isn't the ships name "Redoubtable" tho? It's almost the same as I call my laptop. Rebootable.

The Pirate Captain was a badass, and looked as such. He almost took you down, btw. Not many single-mob-encounters gave you that much trouble.

Ronans armor looks absolutely awesome! It looks nothing like Leather Armor +3. U sure it is? Also, I love the scene of recruiting Ronan. Made me laugh.

Cpt. Vale: Asks him nicely at first, gives a barely-noticable blackmail threat in the end. A grand speech indeed.
Princess Criosa: Guarantees pardoning, and a fresh new start in his life. So tempting.
Lilura the Paladin: Duty calls, Ronan.

You nailed it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom