Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark and Aielund Saga

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
UPDATE (02-20-15):

Completed:

Hordes of the Underdark (Part 1 of 7)
The Aielund Saga (Part 1 of 34)
Siege of Shadowdale (Part 1 of 5)

Current:

Orcs - The Awakening of Arak-hur (Part 1 of -)
Random Remarks on Neverwinter Nights OC (Part I of -)
Crimson Tides of Tethyr (Part I of -)

/update

UPDATE (06-01-15):

Hi guys, sorry but I'm not cross-posting to teh Codex anymore, I just can't be assed with linking to 30-40 images each time I update.

This is the next post, though:

The Aielund Saga: Act Three - Part VI

There are now already two more posts after that and a third one coming, everyone is welcome to comment here or there, but I won't be bumping this topic anymore after this.

Thanks go out to all who posted here, but especially to Grimwulf and Dreaad for your many informative and amusing comments!

/update

***​

UPDATE:
Hordes Let's Play now complete. Aielund Saga currently in progress, first post begins on page 3.

Note this is being updated on my blog first, where it's a bit more readable (esp. for smartphones) and palatable (no foul language and messy thread to sift through).

/update

***​

YYdCcy4.jpg

Hi, and welcome to my Hordes recounting. This is from my blog, and it was just gonna stay there, but Grimwulf suggested I post it here also, to get more feedback. So, here goes...

Hordes of the Underdark is the second and last expansion for BioWare's Neverwinter Nights, introducing epic rules with a campaign level range of 15-30. The latest and definitive version of the game is 1.69, which I have installed along with Project Q-infused modules (Q Campaigns) for improved visuals.

After burning myself out on the exhausting MXL: Ultimative mod for Diablo 2, I decided to relax and recount a run of Hordes. I can't stand excessive waffle or reporting combat encounters in dice-rolly detail, so this is basically a recount characterized by "brevity" (in so far as over-caffeinatedness allows) and interspersed with pro-tips. It will contain little in the way of comments pertaining to the story, lore, dialogue and moral choices, or characters (ie, "role-playing"), focusing more on comments about combat encounters, area design and mechanics. Note that obviously this document is still spoiler-heavy; new players should not read this if they have any intention of later playing Hordes (unless of course they don't mind spoilers), and veteran readers might have their memories refreshed or discover something new. I hope to learn more from this run, too.

CHAPTER ONE: DESCENT INTO UNDERMOUNTAIN

CHARACTER CREATION AND BUILDING

So, the first choice to make is whether to go with a newly created character or import from Shadows of Undrentide. Since I don't have an Undrentide character, I'll be creating a new one. They both start at LVL15, anyway (if the import is less than LVL15, then she gets bumped up). One difference is that gold carries over with the import, but paltry gold bonuses don't factor as concerns in epic campaigns like Hordes. Your imported gear also gets stolen as part of the plot, and, while you can get it back later on, by that time you'll mostly have better stuff - and selling it off just isn't worth it, either. The only other difference is one carried-over item from Undrentide which can be used in mid-Chapter 2 of Hordes, but its all but useless (and bugged).

The second choice to make is "which build"? For this adventure I've decided to go with a ranged combatant, specifically an elven BARD(1)/FIGHTER(X)/ARCANE ARCHER (X) wielding a longbow. I'm a huge fan of archery in RPGs, yet to my disgrace have never built one in NWN. Anyway, with this build I want to meet the pre-requisites for the AA prestige class fairly quickly and then dedicate to AA all the way into Epic levels.

After manually leveling my character to BARD(1)/FIGHTER(6)/ARCANE ARCHER (8), I'm ready to roll. But before any major combat encounter BioWare lavish on the player an array of items from the Yawning Portal Inn's armory, so I equip a +2 Longbow and other build-relevant gear as can be seen here.

v8BtEEK.jpg
As you can see on the Quickbar, I already have a decent bag of tricks. My active or "clicky" feats are Seeker Arrow, Imbue Arrow and Hail of Arrows. My most-used clicky will be Rapid Shot. Relevant passive feats are first of all Point Blank Shot and also include the usual Dodge, Mobility and Spring Attack along with Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization and Improved Critical, all obviously for Longbow. Awh yeah! (I will describe the clicky feats as I use them).

Note also on the left of the Quickbar I have Stand Your Ground, Follow and Attack Nearest hot-keyed. I recommend everyone do this, it makes controlling your Henchman much easier and faster.

Oh, by the way. The plot: Drow are ravaging the Inn and Waterdeep - kill the Drow! (yawn)

YAWNING PORTAL INN AND WATERDEEP

The first major combat encounter occurs in the common room of the Inn, and here I face off against several Drow and Duergar. But since I have about a dozen allies (including the "heroic" Henchman from NWN OC), this fight - while dramatic - is mostly introductorily benign, but there is a Drow Priestess who can be killed for a staggering 3,780 experience, the most EXP for any enemy kill in the entire Hordes campaign. The reason for this - to put it crudely - is that EXP is awarded based on your level relative to the enemy's level, and if the enemy is theoretically supposed to be much more powerful than you but despite that you still manage to beat it, then EXP yield will reflect that. Anyway, suffice it to say this first combat encounter is always won by the allies without any player intervention. And actually, the next encounter in the Well Room featuring several more Drow can play out the same, with Durnan the Innkeep casually pwning them all.

When the fight's over I recruit Deekin, an amusing bardic kobold from Undrentide. I immediately enter dialogue with him to ensure he levels up as Bard exclusively and not Red Dragon Disciple. Bard Song and higher level spells are far more important than what RDD offers (at least for me, in this run). Talking to White Thesta is recommended here, as she bestows upon you a Rod of Resurrection with 20 charges. But unless you really need particular class items from her shop, you shouldn't trade with her as she's a tight-ass. Deal with the Magic Shoppe in Waterdeep, instead.

I remove unneeded items from Deekin's inventory and ensure he only has a crossbow to wield, so that he's never tempted to wade into melee. I also tell him not to pick locks or disarm traps, and to stay close.

As I exit the Inn onto the streets of the City of Splendors, I meet the first combat encounter that isn't decided by immortal NPCs. There are a few Duergar littering a courtyard, so I ask Deekin to cast Haste, Improved Invisibility (enemy attacks have 50% chance of missing), and to Sing, then I hit the Rapid Shot clicky (for extra attack rate) and make my bow sing, too. The Duergar were mowed down before they could cast much or close in on me, though I did get in two stinging crits of about 40 damage each, and that always helps.

All unneeded inventory items are sold off in the Magic Shoppe for 30,000 gold and I use The Relic of the Reaper (a teleporting device) to "bind" a position within the shop, to which I can later immediately return to sell off inventory-clogging loot that BioWare loves to throw around like confetti. I then head to the blacksmith and buy a Composite Longbow +3, several arrow quivers and a set of entry level armor. Appropriately geared up, I head down the well-lift to delve the infamous Undermountain.

UNDERMOUNTAIN LEVEL ONE

This sprawling dungeon consists of three separate major sections (north, south, central), and is largely non-linear and explorative in nature. There are mazes, teleports and secret doors that spice up navigation, and also traps to avoid and (simple) puzzles to solve. Enemies can persistently be found in certain areas (campers), but some types roam around the corridors making nuisances of themselves (ie, drow skirmishers). The Drow and Duergar are the most interesting foes here, using stealth and Darkness spells to annoying effect.

The first thing I do here is use the Rod to resurrect Sharwyn, the bard Henchman from NWN OC. I'm not sure why BioWare decided to give the player another bard so soon when you already have Deekin, but I set Sharwyn to level up as Fighter (since she also specializes in longbow) and give her my old Composite Longbow +2, so now we have three snipers in the party.

The best way to tackle this dungeon, for any character build, is to head to the North section first to take out the ogre mage Olgin for the Dragon Slippers and a build-based boss drop (in my case, Taralash, a +4 Mighty longbow with perma-Haste), then hunt down the drow skirmisher for the Cowl of Warding around the same area. Between these two items you're bestowed immunity to fear and mind-affecting spells, and granted freedom status. Fear immunity is then worn against the neighboring Mummy Lord who's sarcophagus contains a Greater Amulet of Health, bestowing immunity to level drain, disease and poison, and granting regeneration. With these three items equipped, you're set, because you're permanently warding off the most annoying and lethal debilitations in the game.

bgyYhFU.jpg
Pincushioning the Mummy Lord with Sharwyn.
kYFJlb6.jpg
This dragon is now a push-over since I have a permanent ward against fear.
A44NeZj.jpg
One of the sub bosses, ogre mage Olgin. In true BioWare style he is killable after surrendering for extra EXP.
Apart from the encounters shown in the above screenshots, most of them are small-time skirmish stuff or trashmobs, which are so trivial they just aren't worth relaying. Loot acquired on this level - other than the few items mentioned above - is merely incremental/temporary or picked up only to be sold off for gold.

Sharwyn is capable of spotting secret doors and picking most locks on this level. For the chests and doors that are beyond her skill, I simply incinerated them with an Imbue Arrow fireball. You can also cast Knock on locked chests, otherwise you need Power Attack because they have like 40 dmg soak...

Undermountain Level One can be solved in two ways: either by collecting coloured rods scattered around that, when inserted into the correct leavers, lower corresponding coloured pillars blocking the central exit, or by blowing open a sealed passage in the northern area with a barrel of alchemist fire found in the South. I solve both exits for extra experience, and then my trio descend deeper into Undermountain.

WiP, more to come soon depending on feedback. Please ask any questions, and thank you for reading.

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Say, why did you take bard class on your char? As I see it, the only reason is prerequsite for arcane archer class (ability to cast arcane spells), but you could take wizard instead. That would allow you to summon familiar and take some crafting skills. Besides, if I understand your planning correctly, you're gonna keep Deekin anyway and develop him as a bard. So what am I missing here? (maybe it's for RP sake - that's fine by me)

So, err, are we to expect next part anytime soon? :roll:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Pre-req dump, I'm only taking one or max two caster levels, so it hardly matters whether I go bard or wizard. I've also found crafting and Familiars to be quite useless, so too the Shield Guardian.

Just polishing up Undermountain 2 and 3, then Chapter 1 is done. Will probably post in the next 24 hours. Don't expect much, the last two-thirds of Chapter 1 are the most boring part of the campaign.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Good to see it here, I don't have luck with this kind of games (and cRPGs in general) since long, long time ago.
Shame that I wasted hours on OC while addons (bought years later) are untouched yet somewhat better to play.
So keep going, let's not struggle with boring parts.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Pre-req dump, I'm only taking one or max two caster levels, so it hardly matters whether I go bard or wizard. I've also found crafting and Familiars to be quite useless, so too the Shield Guardian.

In fact, panther makes a half-decent fighter due to really good dodge skill. IIRC, panther's dodge is equal to rogue class of the same level, plus melee dmg output would be probably better than yours, Deekins or Sharwyns. But the main reason to keep familiar close is immunity to mind-affecting magic while having familiar summoned. HotU and SotU are kinda messed up in my memory, but I think there is a large part of game with drows spamming all kinds of "psionics" on you.

But I guess there are other ways of countering that shit.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Does NWN have a penalty for dipping class that is not race favorite?

Yes, I'm incurring a -20% XP penalty for taking Bard instead of Wizard. Oh well, less XP = more challenge. Prestige classes don't count, otherwise I'd cop -40%. Comparing to another run I did without XP penalty, I currently only seem to be -10%.

But I guess there are other ways of countering that shit.

Cowl of Warding gives the perma-ward to mind-affecting, yeah.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cool to see this LP appearing. I still plan to play this some day, so will not be following because of spoilers, but it was definitely missing from the playground.
:thumbsup:

Shame that I wasted hours on OC while addons (bought years later) are untouched yet somewhat better to play.
Yeah, I have only played SoU, but it was waaaay better than the dreadful OC, although the first half of the expansion was much more interesting than the second one (IMO at least) and overall it was still nowhere near either BG in terms of quality.

baturinsky

Arcane
I'm a hopeless munchkin, so I usually play NWN as a cleric. But I'm also hopelessly lazy, so I soon get bored of having to buff myself after each rest. So, my usual way of playing NWN is not to.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Dat Taralash bow is fucking epic. Is there a single battle in this game that cannot be won with hit&run + good resistances/immunities? (vs summoners and hasted tanks, probably?) But it seems like you don't even have to run that often.

Now I remembered the first part of the game, that screenshot with colorful stellars brought it back. Yes, first 1/4 of the game is annoying to play, although not as much as NWN OC.

8BFeZE3.jpg
One of the sub-bosses, Stoney, critted for 56 dmg​
Poor Stoney, he took an arrow in the knee. He was lucky tho, the other one almost hit his balls.

the Bard level I took which allowed me to pump Spellcraft to 12 isn't enough to identify exactly what the wizards here are casting
Remind me, does the game let you control skill development of henchmen? I would definetely trust Spellcraft to Deekin, even if he starts with none.

Ah, poor Deekin. The only manly man among all these fragile women. So much responsibility.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Dat Taralash bow is fucking epic.

It serves me until Lith My'athar when I'll have access to Rizolvir's forge, at which point I'll have to dump it because +5 Mighty isn't overwritten by Riz's +10. The game checks to see which weapon you have Focus in, and then randomly awards you with a magical version in boss chests/boss drops. For bow, the drop can be either Ripper, Elven Court or Taralash. I had two chances in UM1 of getting Taralash, and Olgin dropped it.

Is there a single battle in this game that cannot be won with hit&run + good resistances/immunities? (vs summoners and hasted tanks, probably?) But it seems like you don't even have to run that often.

There's a few epic level encounters where running isn't an option. I didn't use hit n run/kiting much in Chapter 1 because my AC was solid so I just lazily shot point blank, but this won't work as often in Chapter 2/3.

Remind me, does the game let you control skill development of henchmen? I would definetely trust Spellcraft to Deekin, even if he starts with none.

Nathyrra will catch up to Deekin's Spellcraft eventually if I tell her to train as Wizard (which I will), but you don't get a readout in the feedback window unless you yourself have it. That's why in this run I wanted to experiment by pumping it, for more info on what's going on (I should be able to reach SC 30 by Chapter 2), more with Deekin's Bard Song.

In the last post I was gonna recruit Valen, but I'll explain why I pick Nathyrra in my next post.

Thanks for the comments, btw. It would be cool if everyone who reads this could scrutinize my choices and expose what I other things I did wrong, or inefficiently - same thing.

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Reading this makes me feel casul. I don't think I ever reached that level of meta-game understanding in any of NWN games.

Dat Taralash bow is fucking epic.

It serves me until Lith My'athar when I'll have access to Rizolvir's forge, at which point I'll have to dump it because +5 Mighty isn't overwritten by Riz's +10. The game checks to see which weapon you have Focus in, and then randomly awards you with a magical version in boss chests/boss drops. For bow, the drop can be either Ripper, Elven Court or Taralash. I had two chances in UM1 of getting Taralash, and Olgin dropped it..

One of the Underdark merchants sells an Arcane Archer-only bow called Forever, for 230,000 gold. Tempting, but through Rizolvirthe Blacksmith I was able to craft a +10 AB, +10 Mighty, Unlimited +5 piercing ammo bow for a whopping 410,000 gold which means I don't have to hangout for North Wind +8 from the City of Lost Souls.

How do you know all this if you never played archer in NWN? Are you a wizard?

Some other questions:

1. Why do you bard? Why don't you develop fighter class - at least it would grant you bonus feats every two levels. Just for the sake of skills, like spellcraft and such?
2. If you're going to buff your bard class, why do you even need Deekin? Seriously, you don't even use Mass Haste, since your main dps-gurls are perma-hasted anyway. Nathyrra can do all the summons herself, plus she is the one Spellcrafting now. So what's the point of Deekin, except for Energy Buffer? Why not replace him with Valen, for instance?
I'm just jealous, dat little fucker got all the pretty girls.

3. I didn't get the ending. So did you beat The Maker in the end or left him be until later? If you did, then err, how exactly?

Lovin it so far.

Erebus

Arcane
I need to replay HotU one of these days. (I wish it were possible to play it with more than just three characters, though.)

From what I remember, Nathyrra has a fairly low Intelligence for a wizard (around 14), which would prevent her from using high-level spells (though I guess you could solve the problem by giving her a magical item that raises Int).

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Reading this makes me feel casul. I don't think I ever reached that level of meta-game understanding in any of NWN games.

Meh, I'm not really a notable meta-gamer of NWN. Fallout, Arcanum, ToEE and the Infinity Engine games make up my meta-gaming paradise. I'm just doing this for shits n gigs.

How do you know all this if you never played archer in NWN? Are you a wizard?

I'm recounting, not bumbling around blind.

And I saw the +8 bow for sale in Chapter 3 of my previous Weapon Master run. From my WM run I also knew three different scythes can drop from bosses/chests. So when I got Taralash from Olgin and found Elven Court in a chest, I just looked up the other bow that can drop (Ripper). Taralash is easily the best, so I kept it.

1. Bard is for skills like Spellcraft, yeah. I want to know what enemy spellcasters are unleashing, for a change. Spellcraft is making the run a bit more interesting. I've exhausted fighter feats (nothing I can take that enhances my bow damage), and the Bard level at least gave me Improved Initiative as a choice.

2. Bard Song scales with level, and they don't stack. Deekin's Bard Song gets pretty epic and in addition to Energy Buffer he gets Summon V/VI. Mass Haste will be good for the two Dire Tigers from both Nath and Deekin (you only get one summon per char). I don't want Valen because I don't wanna rely on a melee guy holding the enemy at bay, I've done melee before. I wanna go pure ranged and spells, this time. I might recruit Aribeth in Cania and give her a bow.

3. Maker portion of post edited.

Lovin it so far.

Thanks, and for the funny image editing.

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
It's easy to forget how tedious was NWN OC. When I want to replay NWN, which sometimes happens (it happened again, thanks to Lilura), it kinda feels wrong to skip directly to add-ons. You want to make a new char from scratch, walk all the way, then import him for maximum win. So you make a char, make it to Port Llast and ragequit, coz OC filler combat is just. too. much.

Next time I'll skip OC.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Choosing rarely used classes and making good plans to make them good is really entertaining. So good for you.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I've tried that because it looked good, but then when I actually saw how it looked in-game, I just didn't really like it. The textures they replaced looked completely at odds with the ones they didn't, and the lens flares were distracting. Project Q reskins look like they belong in the game, these NWN CQ ones didn't. Just my opinion. It says its compatible with CEP, but I'm not sure about Project Q.

eremita

Savant
I've tried that because it looked good, but then when I actually saw how it looked in-game, I just didn't really like it. The textures they replaced looked completely at odds with the ones they didn't, and the lens flares were distracting. Project Q reskins look like they belong in the game, these NWN CQ ones didn't. Just my opinion. It says its compatible with CEP, but I'm not sure about Project Q.
Thanks, I won't use it then, cause I can't stand things which seem out of place/collide with vanilla.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Archer parties are op.

So, I was wondering about cowl of warding. It's a helmet, right? It gives immunity to mind-affecting effects to the char who wears it? Meaning, you need three of those to cakewalk illithids. Since wiki doesn't say anything about those helms, and I can't remember a thing either, isn't this cowl a unique item or at least a rare drop? Or you can actually buy that stuff in any amounts?

the Helm of Shielding. This is really just a quest item to wear when talking with Illithid, so as to stop them probing your mind.

Magneto approves this helmet.
magneto_from_x-men_first_class_5.jpg

The Elder Brain is gifted the Mirror of All-Seeing

Why would this... thing need a mirror? In fact, if I was a big-ass-brain, the last thing I'd want is a damn mirror.

The Beholder Caves are just a big, boring maze jam-packed with Beholders and Beholder Mage

Yeah, I vaguely remember it being boring too. Such a pity. Beholders are my favourite mobs in entire d&d.

An odd thing happened when I teleported back, though: the game took control of my character momentarily and tried to run me towards Sergeant Osyyr, who was already running for me to trigger the invasion.

Could it be that Eye Tyrant or Overmind tried to mind-control you with their last dying breath? Probably not. But it would be cool tho.

There is an ancient mechanism found about two-thirds through the tunnels, which, with high Spellcraft, I was able to decipher in order to open a trapped door. This is a short-cut that bypasses the last third of the dungeon and the fearsome Bebilith, a very difficult foe to beat with no magical gear or spells.

I didn't get it. So did you pass it? You kinda engaged her, took a screenshot, then reloaded? And here I was wondering if you could win this fight at all, given the circumstances.

HotU features such classy villains and bosses. Sometimes I feel an urge to play this just to challenge them again.
:love:

Don't stop this LP, or I'm gonna find you!
A moment of rage under spoiler.

Allright, that's gone too far. Just look at him, look at Deekin!

4KBnzrq.jpg

T1EHiBI.jpg

He just stands there, STARING at Nathyrra, like it's some fucking Twilight movie. Does he even fight? Maybe you should give them some privacy.

Edit: Wait... Is it actually LILURA he is eyeballing on second pic? Gods, this nasty kobold needs some serious attention.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
There is only one Cowl of Warding in Hordes, but if you imported from Undrentide you could have two, I guess. Also, the PC's normally the focus of attacks. Nathyrra and Deekin only rarely get disabled. its just really frustrating when the PC gets disabled, since you can't control your companions, so you just stare at the screen waiting or hoping Deekin casts dispel. Just how the game is...

The Bebilith is a cakewalk if you "dispel" the dead magic, which I did before engaging. So yeah, she went down.

Allright, that's gone too far. Just look at him, look at Deekin!
He just stands there, STARING at Nathyrra, like it's some fucking Twilight movie. Does he even fight? Maybe you should give them some privacy.
Edit: Wait... Is it actually LILURA he is eyeballing on second pic? Gods, this nasty kobold needs some serious attention.

The little creep is apparently singing, but it would be cool if they animated him singing the Doom Song instead of just standing there with musical notes over his head. He's mean with a crossbow, especially a bit later.

How are you planning to hurt the end boss? IIRC he has like 30/ damage soak as well as elemental soak, immunity to crits and really high spell resistance. I started playing with arcane archer once but thinking of fighting that douche made me stop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom