Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Beamdog; Neverwinter Nights; Trent Oster

With little fanfare, Beamdog released their Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition today. Not that it's a surprise - the release date was revealed earlier this month in the weekly livestream they've been doing since the game was announced back in November. Although there has been some work done on creating high fidelity models, with such a short development cycle it's clear that this isn't some huge overhaul, and that they intend to continue working on the game after release. Early Access in all but name, if you will. They didn't even bother to put together a launch trailer, so I'll post their release day stream instead, along with the release announcement:

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has arrived on Steam! Here at Beamdog we’re not only excited to have the opportunity to rejuvenate another classic Dungeons and Dragons title, but to reintroduce an experience as creative as it is compelling.

As Beamdog CEO and Project Director on the original Neverwinter Nights Trent Oster puts it, “To me Neverwinter Nights is a magical game. The combination of a powerful, yet easy-to-use toolset, the ability to run a persistent world, to play with your friends and the Dungeons & Dragons rules are an amazing structure I’m still massively excited about the democratization of game design that the tools enable and the power of the dungeon master client to shape adventures on the fly. I think there has never been another game like Neverwinter Nights and the Enhanced Edition is an opportunity to carry that concept forward to even greater possibilities.”

Through the original campaign and premium modules, you’ll experience lovingly crafted stories filled with hours of exploration and excitement. You’ll journey with Aribeth and Drogon, slay drow and dragons, travel from mountain peaks in the frozen North to the depths of the Underdark. The heroes you create will travel the face of Faerun.

“Neverwinter Nights has been a beloved game for the past 15 years, with Beamdog's ongoing development and community support we hope the Enhanced Edition will be loved for 15+ more years.” - Jonathan Hill, Project Lead for Neverwinter Nights.

With the Aurora Toolset, you’ll be able to express your imagination by crafting an infinite variety of worlds, as well as exploring those created by others through the Steam Workshop. Build towers that reach for the Seven Heavens, pits descending into the Nine Hells, and cities stretching across countries and continents. All of this and more is within your grasp.

The Dungeon Master Client allows you to play Dungeons & Dragons with friends thousands of miles away. Since its inception, D&D has been a powerful collaborative experience, and Neverwinter Nights will allow you to challenge your friends’ wits and skill at arms in real-time. Never worry again about finding a group to indulge your hobby, just log in and discover the adventures that await.

The team at Beamdog are overjoyed to support Neverwinter’s fans in playing, crafting, and enjoying the worlds of Dungeons & Dragons, as well as your own

If you're curious what's been done so far, check out the changelog taking us from NWN 1.69 to Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition.

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is available on Steam now for $20. The premium modules that weren't part of the Diamond Edition - Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, Infinite Dungeons, Pirates of the Sword Coast - are available at $3 a piece. Beamdog haters will be glad to hear that the game is not yet available on GOG, which means that the original version will remain available for sale there for the time being.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They must mean for the modules and online servers. Right?

Though I must admit, when it came out, I was pretty amazed by it. Mostly due to the fact it was 3D, though. And that isn't something that can be repeated 15 years later.
I really don't see a reason to replay it.

The only good thing I can see here is Linux support. Of course, that was doable all the time using Wine, but hey. At least it is something.

Deleted member 7219

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Launch Features
• Improved Display. Your portrait, combat bar, inventory, and other UI elements adjust in size based on your chosen resolution including 1080p and 4k.
• Advanced Graphics Options. Full-screen post-processing effects make for crisper, cleaner visuals. Enable contrast, vibrance, and depth of field
• Backwards Compatibility. Works with save games, modules, and mods from the original Neverwinter Nights. A galaxy of community created content awaits.
• Steam Feature Support. Find mods and modules or upload your own in Steam Workshop. Easily join online games using Friends List.
• Restored Multiplayer. A completely rebuilt multiplayer system makes it easy to find online persistent worlds and game with friends
• More Modder Opportunities. Toolset quality-of-life improvements, shaders, filters, texture maps, and a new material systems allow creators to make amazing looking models and modules.

FUCK OFF.

Not even Bethesda would dare pull this shit.

m_s0

Arcane
Somebody should stop crapdog already. ;/
I don't think that's necessary - it looks like they're doing a fine job slowing down on their own. The one original project they got out the door tanked, some projects were cancelled, and they're running out of games to slap their logo onto in place of the logo of the original developer. How well are those selling, anyway?

If they're planning on reinventing themselves... now's the time. I guess paid modules for a game from the early 00s would be a living?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
wow-its-fucking-nothing.jpg

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
• Improved Display. Your portrait, combat bar, inventory, and other UI elements adjust in size based on your chosen resolution including 1080p and 4k.
• Advanced Graphics Options. Full-screen post-processing effects make for crisper, cleaner visuals. Enable contrast, vibrance, and depth of field
• Backwards Compatibility. Works with save games, modules, and mods from the original Neverwinter Nights. A galaxy of community created content awaits.
• Steam Feature Support. Find mods and modules or upload your own in Steam Workshop. Easily join online games using Friends List.
• Restored Multiplayer. A completely rebuilt multiplayer system makes it easy to find online persistent worlds and game with friends
• More Modder Opportunities. Toolset quality-of-life improvements, shaders, filters, texture maps, and a new material systems allow creators to make amazing looking models and modules.

FUCK OFF.

Deleted member 7219

FUCK OFF.

1. It was their game
2. They gave it away for free to owners of the normal edition plus DLC
3. To people who just had the normal edition, it cost like £5 for the upgrade

Sentinel

Arcane
I am downloading the demo version to check it out. Probably gonna uninstall it after 10 minutes when I'm reminded of how shit this game is.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

FUCK OFF.

1. It was their game
2. They gave it away for free to owners of the normal edition plus DLC
3. To people who just had the normal edition, it cost like £5 for the upgrade

So if Bioware had done this 'enhancement' and gave it away for free to the handful of people that owned the old version on Steam it would be a-ok?

Dude, Bethesda charges for mods :lol:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Though I must admit, when it came out, I was pretty amazed by it. Mostly due to the fact it was 3D, though.

I didn't get many things right when I was a kid, but even I could see how awfully terrible NWN's blocky tilespam looked compared to the glorious, hand-painted IE-games.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom