Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Released

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Beamdog; Neverwinter Nights; Trent Oster

With little fanfare, Beamdog released their Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition today. Not that it's a surprise - the release date was revealed earlier this month in the weekly livestream they've been doing since the game was announced back in November. Although there has been some work done on creating high fidelity models, with such a short development cycle it's clear that this isn't some huge overhaul, and that they intend to continue working on the game after release. Early Access in all but name, if you will. They didn't even bother to put together a launch trailer, so I'll post their release day stream instead, along with the release announcement:

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has arrived on Steam! Here at Beamdog we’re not only excited to have the opportunity to rejuvenate another classic Dungeons and Dragons title, but to reintroduce an experience as creative as it is compelling.

As Beamdog CEO and Project Director on the original Neverwinter Nights Trent Oster puts it, “To me Neverwinter Nights is a magical game. The combination of a powerful, yet easy-to-use toolset, the ability to run a persistent world, to play with your friends and the Dungeons & Dragons rules are an amazing structure I’m still massively excited about the democratization of game design that the tools enable and the power of the dungeon master client to shape adventures on the fly. I think there has never been another game like Neverwinter Nights and the Enhanced Edition is an opportunity to carry that concept forward to even greater possibilities.”

Through the original campaign and premium modules, you’ll experience lovingly crafted stories filled with hours of exploration and excitement. You’ll journey with Aribeth and Drogon, slay drow and dragons, travel from mountain peaks in the frozen North to the depths of the Underdark. The heroes you create will travel the face of Faerun.

“Neverwinter Nights has been a beloved game for the past 15 years, with Beamdog's ongoing development and community support we hope the Enhanced Edition will be loved for 15+ more years.” - Jonathan Hill, Project Lead for Neverwinter Nights.

With the Aurora Toolset, you’ll be able to express your imagination by crafting an infinite variety of worlds, as well as exploring those created by others through the Steam Workshop. Build towers that reach for the Seven Heavens, pits descending into the Nine Hells, and cities stretching across countries and continents. All of this and more is within your grasp.

The Dungeon Master Client allows you to play Dungeons & Dragons with friends thousands of miles away. Since its inception, D&D has been a powerful collaborative experience, and Neverwinter Nights will allow you to challenge your friends’ wits and skill at arms in real-time. Never worry again about finding a group to indulge your hobby, just log in and discover the adventures that await.

The team at Beamdog are overjoyed to support Neverwinter’s fans in playing, crafting, and enjoying the worlds of Dungeons & Dragons, as well as your own

If you're curious what's been done so far, check out the changelog taking us from NWN 1.69 to Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition.
    Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is available on Steam now for $20. The premium modules that weren't part of the Diamond Edition - Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, Infinite Dungeons, Pirates of the Sword Coast - are available at $3 a piece. Beamdog haters will be glad to hear that the game is not yet available on GOG, which means that the original version will remain available for sale there for the time being.

• decline x 12
    • Informative x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    but why

in which parallel universe

what even

• Funny x 15
    • Agree x 8
    • Brofist x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    They must mean for the modules and online servers. Right?

Though I must admit, when it came out, I was pretty amazed by it. Mostly due to the fact it was 3D, though. And that isn't something that can be repeated 15 years later.
    I really don't see a reason to replay it.

The only good thing I can see here is Linux support. Of course, that was doable all the time using Wine, but hey. At least it is something.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
    FUCK OFF.

Not even Bethesda would dare pull this shit.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. *-*/\--/\~ Savant

*-*/\--/\~
    Parrots:
    Somebody should stop crapdog already. ;/

• Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Finally!! Can't wait not to buy it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Erikolaz Educated

Erikolaz
    Parrots:
    :keepmymoney:

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. m_s0 Arcane

m_s0
    Parrots:
    I don't think that's necessary - it looks like they're doing a fine job slowing down on their own. The one original project they got out the door tanked, some projects were cancelled, and they're running out of games to slap their logo onto in place of the logo of the original developer. How well are those selling, anyway?

If they're planning on reinventing themselves... now's the time. I guess paid modules for a game from the early 00s would be a living?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. jarmaro Arbiter

jarmaro
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2

• Funny x 13
    • Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
    1. It was their game
    2. They gave it away for free to owners of the normal edition plus DLC
    3. To people who just had the normal edition, it cost like £5 for the upgrade

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    NWN was 90s-00s Bioware's best selling game and popular enough to get patches for six years.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. TheSentinel Magister

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    I am downloading the demo version to check it out. Probably gonna uninstall it after 10 minutes when I'm reminded of how shit this game is.

• Edgy Edgy x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Parrots:
    So if Bioware had done this 'enhancement' and gave it away for free to the handful of people that owned the old version on Steam it would be a-ok?

Dude, Bethesda charges for mods :lol:

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • incline incline x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Drowed Arcane

Drowed
    Parrots:
    Yeah? I mean, I wouldn't buy it, but it's ok.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  17. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Parrots:
    Uh... that was merely a patch, and the game didn't suddenly went up in price to 20 bucks.

Meanwhile Neverwinter Diamond Edition costs 6 bucks on GOG.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Cyberarmy Arcane Patron

Cyberarmy
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
  20. dawcio Educated

dawcio
    Parrots:
    Should I buy this if I have Diamond edition?

• No No x 6
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Please no!

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    These fuckers, 20€... and you still have to pay for the premium modules.

why wont they just die?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. shiteatingnippledick Arcane Patron

shiteatingnippledick
    Parrots:
    If you already own NWN and have no desire to play the multiplayer this is pretty much a 20$ patch(+6$ if you want the 2 storyline premium modules).
    :hmmm:

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:

• :M :M x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I didn't get many things right when I was a kid, but even I could see how awfully terrible NWN's blocky tilespam looked compared to the glorious, hand-painted IE-games.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Old Old x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)