Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

d1nolore

Savant
That's not Lilura, you guys are so desperate.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Did they fix art ?

I mean those fucking things:

icons.jpg

I still remember turning on NWN1 for first time and i was like WTF is that. Where are those glorious paperdolls and glorious BG2 art ? I mean below that you have version of some modder and it looks miles fucking better than original.
Thank you for reminding me how atrocious the equipment art was in the game. Who came up with these things? All that metallic style weapons look like shit.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Did they fix art ?

I mean those fucking things:

icons.jpg

I still remember turning on NWN1 for first time and i was like WTF is that. Where are those glorious paperdolls and glorious BG2 art ? I mean below that you have version of some modder and it looks miles fucking better than original.
Thank you for reminding me how atrocious the equipment art was in the game. Who came up with these things? All that metallic style weapons look like shit.
Back in the days before NWN was released, developers on the Bioware forum were boasting "you're going to love us for those icons". :lol: How times change.

Perkel

Arcane
I Think Trent stated on stream that he made most of the weapons in his spare time using 3DS MAX for the first time.

So Ya..

But those are painted not 3D. And it looks like some 5 year old did that at that.

edit: I think he meant 3d ones in game not art i posted. Which would not be hard to do since all of them are basically like simplest shapes.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
After BGII I don't need to say I found NWN disgusting, icons, graphics, writing and all. Never got into multiplayer, and I don't have expectations of good multiplayer sessions with people I don't know, playing in a shitty graphics game. If there are really good singleplayer modules, good enough to make me swallow the graphics, then these modules may be good, but the game is unsalvageable shit in my estimation.

Bocian

Arcane
After BGII I don't need to say I found NWN disgusting, icons, graphics, writing and all. Never got into multiplayer, and I don't have expectations of good multiplayer sessions with people I don't know, playing in a shitty graphics game.

My thoughts were exactly the same - but it proved to be wrong, now I'm regretting I didn't start to play MP earlier. I say give it a try.

AwesomeButton

Patron
No, I just can't get over how ugly this game is. Maybe I'm a visual person, or sight gets in the way of my imagination, but not all women are beautiful once you turn the lights off. :D

Perkel

Arcane
Game was fucking ugly even at release. I remember being hyped about it i switch on game and everything looks the fucking same, rooms which looked like warehouses, crappy 2d art, weak shit looking animations without punch, spells that shat on whole screen where you hardly could make what is going on on screen and worst offender repeating assets everywhere.

And it was bad game at that. Shitty OC, shitty stats, shitty weapons and so on.

Only worth of this was some mods to it which managed to curb shitty progression so everything would not balloon into stratosphere with hp bloat and so on.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I love the NWN aesthetic. It's so unique and charming. It's not beautiful, but the ideal for beauty in aesthetics has been dead for over a century and I can appreciate the graphics for what they are.

ChaDargo

Arcane
I love the NWN aesthetic. It's so unique and charming. It's not beautiful, but the ideal for beauty in aesthetics has been dead for over a century and I can appreciate the graphics for what they are.

"the ideal for beauty in aesthetics has been dead for over a century"
Say what now?

AwesomeButton

Patron
the ideal for beauty in aesthetics has been dead for over a century and I can appreciate the graphics for what they are
No. That's what the mediocre artists (and landwhale feminists) want us to believe. It's time for a revolt of aestethics! :D

Lacrymas

Arcane
Well, yeah. Art and aesthetics haven't been about beauty or beauty as an ideal since the beginning of the 20th century. Or have you never wondered why Malevich painted his Black Square? Or Egon Schiele painting distorted, almost sickly human bodies?

AwesomeButton

Patron
Well, yeah. Art and aesthetics haven't been about beauty or beauty as an ideal since the beginning of the 20th century.
The suppression of beauty as a measure of artistic value is suppression of human nature. Understandably what followed is that no one understands art since the beginning of the 20th century, as it's becoming increasingly self referential to the point of losing any proper meaning. The lowest point so far was when we got to the meme culture. People stopped understanding art not because they are unrefined, but because artists decided "people are not our audience".

Lacrymas

Arcane
This is a discussion I don't want to get into. The abysmal, low-hanging and ignorant criticisms of post-modernism have been enough for me, I'm not about to go wading into those about art in the beginning of the century as well.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Or have you never wondered why Malevich painted his Black Square? Or Egon Schiele painting distorted, almost sickly human bodies?
I haven't actually. According to some, it's because they are trying to convey an idea, not a picture of reality, through the medium of... a picture they have painted. According to others, it's because they are fed up with depicting reality as percieved. This is kind of a problem in gaming lately - once we have the resources to portray a photorealistic picture, just how many games featuring medieval armor, or forests, or WW2 battlefields can you bear before they start looking the same?

AwesomeButton

Patron
This is a discussion I don't want to get into. The abysmal, low-hanging and ignorant criticisms of post-modernism have been enough for me, I'm not about to go wading into those about art in the beginning of the century as well.
It's the 21st century, and the current year. Everyone is entitled to their bubble, thanks to advances in technology :D

ChaDargo

Arcane
Well, yeah. Art and aesthetics haven't been about beauty or beauty as an ideal since the beginning of the 20th century. Or have you never wondered why Malevich painted his Black Square? Or Egon Schiele painting distorted, almost sickly human bodies?

"Art and aesthetics haven't been about beauty or beauty as an ideal as an ideal since the beginning of the 20th century."

You act as if historical, cultural trends are forces of nature...

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No, I just can't get over how ugly this game is. Maybe I'm a visual person, or sight gets in the way of my imagination, but not all women are beautiful once you turn the lights off. :D

Maybe try playing it while really drunk and on ecstasy?

Bad combination for RPGs; if you want to mix uppers with booze, cocaine and alcohol metabolize into a special chemical that makes people much, much more high, cocaethylene. Alcohol actually makes it more of a stimulant.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaethylene

I don’t know if you’ve ever seen someone really drunk and on ecstasy but it’s about the sloppiest sight you’ll ever feast your eyes on. Not good even for a really easy RPG.

Say what now?

Realism has been dead, outside shitty commercial art, but the expressionists did not kill beauty (at least not all of them and I doubt BioWare was going for an Egon Schiele vibe).

I don’t think modern art is even relevant, though. NWN may not hold up visually, but it looked pretty when it came out and was widely praised for its graphics and its general aesthetic. 3D just tends to age poorly.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don’t think modern art is even relevant, though.

It is relevant for why I love its aesthetic. Despite all the deconstructions, the subjective internalization, understanding and assimilation of art can't be nullified. I know Bioware weren't going for a cubist/Egon Schiele-like distortions and architecture, but those make me appreciate the uniqueness of it, there is no other game that is like that. Malevich himself wasn't going for the meaning of Black Square when he painted it for the end of Victory over the Sun, he only realized what he had done post factum. What he did after it is frame it to be relevant as a destruction of the object. My point is that beauty is not a criteria for appreciating aesthetics and it certainly isn't relevant for NWN.

Last edited:

ChaDargo

Arcane

Maybe try playing it while really drunk and on ecstasy?

Bad combination for RPGs; if you want to mix uppers with booze, cocaine and alcohol metabolize into a special chemical that makes people much, much more high, cocaethylene. Alcohol actually makes it more of a stimulant.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaethylene

I don’t know if you’ve ever seen someone really drunk and on ecstasy but it’s about the sloppiest sight you’ll ever feast your eyes on. Not good even for a really easy RPG.

Say what now?

Realism has been dead, outside shitty commercial art, but the expressionists did not kill beauty (at least not all of them and I doubt BioWare was going for an Egon Schiele vibe).

I don’t think modern art is even relevant, though. NWN may not hold up visually, but it looked pretty when it came out and was widely praised for its graphics and its general aesthetic. 3D just tends to age poorly.

There are artists who disagree, and they aren't all "shitty commercial" artists; having intellect does not necessitate nihilism. Cultural trends are not forces of nature and the views of pedantic professors are not of any significance unless you believe they have significance.

Case in point from the 21st century, not done for commercial reasons, but for an art gallery (cordair.com):

zLszcNi.jpg

But I'll leave it at that so as not to derail the NW thread into a full-blown art debate lol

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don’t think modern art is even relevant, though.

It is relevant for why I love its aesthetic. Despite all the deconstructions, the subjective internalization, understanding and assimilation of art can't be nullified. I know Bioware weren't going for a cubist/Egon Schiele-like distortions and architecture, but those make me appreciate the uniqueness of it, there is no other game that is like that. Malevich himself wasn't going for the meaning of Black Square when he painted it for the end of Victory over the Sun, he only realized what he had done post factum. What he did after it is frame it to be relevant as a destruction of the object. My point is that beauty is not a criteria for appreciating aesthetics and it certainly isn't relevant for NWN.

You won’t catch me arguing for authorial/painterly intent, but there’s a limit to how far accident takes you. Black Square is very much in keeping with his oeuvre. Whereas NWN seems to have been trying to get as close to photorealism as it could at the time; it’s rearguard not avant-garde. Just feels like a stretch to me, but I suppose YMMV.

There are artists who disagree, and they aren't all "shitty commercial" artists; having intellect does not necessitate nihilism. Cultural trends are not forces of nature and the views of pedantic professors are not of any significance unless you believe they have significance.

Case in point from the 21st century, not done for commercial reasons, but for an art gallery (cordair.com):

zLszcNi.jpg

You are a barbarian, sirrah.

(End digression)

Lacrymas

Arcane
So their intentions, whatever they may be, ruin the perspective of distortion and cubism? I really don't care what they were going for, or whether it's avant-garde or not, and I'm the one enjoying it for meaningful reasons, so it's a win-win situation for me. It's still a unique and cool aesthetic that we haven't seen before and won't see ever again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom