Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Neverwinter Nights 2 English Patch 1.03 Final released

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

The English Patch 1.03 Final for <a href=http://www.atari.com/nwn2/>Neverwinter Nights 2</a> has been <a href=http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=530324&forum=109>released</a>. As per the developer's statement in the thread running your auto-updater should allow you to get the patch. If you installed the Beta patch several locations are given so you can find a rollback patch. Here are some general bug fixes:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
General
<br>
<br>
• Animal Companions, Familiars, and Summoned Creatures are now unsummoned when a roster member is being despawned. This will address problems where companions can become familiars on transitions.
<br>
• Some minor adjustments to the pathing system to prevent characters from being put into illegal areas.
<br>
• Split out Armored Caster feat into class specific feats for Bards and Warlocks to properly apply spell failure percentages. This will allow users who add new classes to give them specific armored casting ability easily.
<br>
• Some minor fixes to drop shadow rendering.
<br>
• The debug DirectX check has been removed – some users had problems running the game, even without the DirectX SDK being installed.
<br>
• The game would crash when a module with more than 16,000 objects was loaded.
<br>
• Fixed a memory leak related to grass that would occur in certain areas.
<br>
<br>
Multiplayer
<br>
<br>
• Fixed issue when a player was resurrected by another player, the “respawn” button would stay up on their screen, and could be used to restore life and remove effects.
<br>
DM Client
<br>
• Added larger “+” buttons for the Chooser and Creator to make them easier to click on.
<br>
• Fixed some issues with keymapping.
<br>
• Player list is used instead of the party list when displaying party members on the minimap and areamap.
<br>
• DM’s can now area transition while possessing something and the entire faction doesn’t come with them.
<br>
• Fixed issue with trying to possess a creature in a different area than the one the DM is currently standing in.
<br>
• Fixed mouse action target for Dungeon Masters, so they don't start conversations with everyone. Also fixed highlight, so they can't always highlight themselves.
<br>
• DM can now move around while game is paused.
<br>
• Moved feats granted to a DM character from being hard-coded to a new flag in the feat.2da, "DMFeat". If it's marked as 0, the DM doesn't get it; as 1, he does.
<br>
• NWN database bug: Variables names are now properly truncated to 32 characters in all cases.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
No word on a fix for that forced companion bug yet.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Koby</b>!
<br>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Eh? A tad behind right? This was news awhile ago; but not really today...

Besdies, the real news, is NWN2 is in thr trash for me since the game won't reinstall AT ALL. Hmph.

bat_boro

Arcane
Did the save game bug (or whatever it is) got fixed?
I mean, do you still need A LOT of hdd free space on C: to save your game?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Heh, Volourn's mysterious tech problems surface once again. What will happen to his computer next!!!

Voss

Erudite
Fixed a memory leak related to grass that would occur in certain areas.

This is a sign that someone spent way too much time on teh GRAFFIX

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Heh, Volourn's mysterious tech problems surface once again. What will happen to his computer next!!!"

It's funny you say that when my computer works absolutely fine.

DemonKing

Arcane
The performance is still awful in places - I can get 65 FPS+ in Dungeons and then go down to <5 FPS outside.

I really don't get why this engine chugs so badly when an 18 month old game like Guild Wars looks better and can run flawlessly on the same system.

BTW If you are having trouble patching I believe if you installed the beta 1.03 patch you'll have to go back to version 1.02 before you can patch it to non-beta 1.03.

The performance is still awful in places - I can get 65 FPS+ in Dungeons and then go down to <5 FPS outside.

Same here. I can almost turn every graphical option to the max indoors or in dungeons and get great fps (and I even have a low-end card to boot). But once I step outside, even when turning every option down and there are no other characters onscreen, it becomes very choppy (don't even mention the graveyard/crypt). I was hoping for a better performance improvement like patch 1.02 provided, but I'm disappointed.

Chinese Jetpilot said:

Same here. I can almost turn every graphical option to the max indoors or in dungeons and get great fps (and I even have a low-end card to boot). But once I step outside, even when turning every option down and there are no other characters onscreen, it becomes very choppy (don't even mention the graveyard/crypt). I was hoping for a better performance improvement like patch 1.02 provided, but I'm disappointed.

Turn the view distance down below 100. I always get MUCH worse FPS inside than outside, which actually runs pretty smoothly.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
NWN2 ran smootly on mine as well. The problem is that it won't reinstall.

Solaris

Scholar
DemonKing said:
I really don't get why this engine chugs so badly when an 18 month old game like Guild Wars looks better and can run flawlessly on the same system.

Probably because Anet's programmers are better at such things, and the game engine is better optimised...which proves that decent graphics can run smooth on most rigs if done right. And while we're at it....Obsidian could learn a thing or two from the companions (Heroes) in GW as well, in terms of slickness and AI

Azarkon

Arcane
No doubt. It's a shame that Obsidian, like Troika, can't seem to get their technical act together. All the ambitious design and good writing in the world can't do jack if the underlying technology isn't solid. Such is the way with games.

Voss

Erudite
Azarkon said:
No doubt. It's a shame that Obsidian, like Troika, can't seem to get their technical act together. All the ambitious design <snip> in the world can't do jack if the underlying technology isn't solid. Such is the way with games.

Fixed

Surgey

Scholar
bat_boro said:
Did the save game bug (or whatever it is) got fixed?
I mean, do you still need A LOT of hdd free space on C: to save your game?

That bug was a pain in the ass... it would delete your savegame, too. 80 gig savegames I guess. The way I fixed it was by just going to a different area then coming back... needless to say, sometimes that wasn't possible.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
When you have all the options set to High, including shadows, NWN2 runs poorly outdoors because with shadows set to high, the sun actually moves around and shadows of the entire environment are cast in real time.

Just set Shadows to Medium or Low (none and low make no difference in terms of performance) with shadow texturing at the lowest setting, and Normal Mapping to Off and you should be fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom