Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Nerd Commando Guide Channel (ex-funbuilding & stuff)

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
(im desperately missing a description of each).

All the info is in the Tutorial section. Ship specialties, stats, even the damage dealt & structure/energy consumption. Same for the foes (except damage, but I tried to describe the measure of damage they deal). And, if you don't feel like going too deep into game, you can try out the same builds as Andross - note that they won't be good against everything as the final game will pretty much demand you to build around defeating the current foe (later on, it's gonna be constant until you defeat him - now it's a new wave each time; so just try until you defeat someone, with the builds I've provided, shouldn't take too long).

Anyways, thanks for trying out.

Oh, and:
How this qualifies as an RPG is beyond me right now.

That may be a point of debate, but I think that the game qualifies because you solve the problems by building around them. As you've seen, manual skills are not unimportant but quite useless without the understanding of the system.That's not Role-Playing, of course, but that is what many of the oldschool CRPGs was.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Ok, since, apparently, our only hope at ever getting greenlit is whoring ourselves out with the Funbuildings until we gather enough sympathizers (a shitty plan but I don't have anything else atm), I'll try to catch up and do more of them. Today is another Gaiden, though - Disciples II. They're pretty cool but you just have to experiment with them to make the campaigns feel at least a bit less stale.

(somehow, my upload speed is crap today so the rest of the videos will be added within, I dunno, the next 5 or 6 hours?)

Pope Amole II

Developer
Well, I'm talking in a larger scope than the codex, I guess. Hitting another major success like my video of Wasteland 2 was (Pillars sound like a good opportunity even though I don't like the RTwP gameplay that much) and trying to redirect some of that wind to our sails (almost wrote sales here, lol). I dunno. Obviously, I want to make a proper RPG, but we have no budget & no artists willing to work for free and no luxury to make our project really slowly and kickstarter isn't really available in our parts.

X Caeli may be crap (though, once again, I'd wish to hear that from someone who actually understood the system), but it's not like we can do anything on a different scope from it.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Well, I'm talking in a larger scope than the codex, I guess. Hitting another major success like my video of Wasteland 2 was (Pillars sound like a good opportunity even though I don't like the RTwP gameplay that much) and trying to redirect some of that wind to our sails (almost wrote sales here, lol). I dunno. Obviously, I want to make a proper RPG, but we have no budget & no artists willing to work for free and no luxury to make our project really slowly and kickstarter isn't really available in our parts.

X Caeli may be crap (though, once again, I'd wish to hear that from someone who actually understood the system), but it's not like we can do anything on a different scope from it.
No Pope, you must introduce some women-ships into your game and then cry misogyny on twitter when people won't vote for your game on greenlight. Thats how the pros do it.

Pope Amole II

Developer
No Pope, you must introduce some women-ships into your game and then cry misogyny on twitter when people won't vote for your game on greenlight. Thats how the pros do it.

Actually, I'd rather target the reverce audience there - so the evil hero is the evil deity. And so, a nameless fleet attacks a human station in the Caeli sector. It suffers heavy damage, is almost destroyed and one of the survivors (who are, BTW, all pretty girls) shouts "oh, I wish someone would save us!" Here's where the Caelum (the deity) appears.

And yeah, he saves them but he also demands unconditional love & worship in return. And he has no moral qualms to psychologically torture them until he gets what he wants. And one of the game's main promo images would be something in this fashion:

Conan__s_Throne_Room_by_JoeJusko.jpg

But probably in the anime style and with less tigers and with more gloom, y'know.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Actually, I'd rather target the reverce audience there - so the evil hero is the evil deity. And so, a nameless fleet attacks a human station in the Caeli sector. It suffers heavy damage, is almost destroyed and one of the survivors (who are, BTW, all pretty girls) shouts "oh, I wish someone would save us!" Here's where the Caelum (the deity) appears.

And yeah, he saves them but he also demands unconditional love & worship in return. And he has no moral qualms to psychologically torture them until he gets what he wants. And one of the game's main promo images would be something in this fashion:

Conan__s_Throne_Room_by_JoeJusko.jpg

But probably in the anime style and with less tigers and with more gloom, y'know.
Name it 500 shades of Caelum and you have a winner.

Pope Amole II

Developer
New Gaiden is up:

Though, given the reaction on the Ziggurat videos (and I suppose the reaction on this one will be the same) and other Gaidens, I think I should skip the various rpg-lites or hybrids and focus more on the 100% RPGs. Stuff like this feels like a waste of time.

In other news, the work on the X Caeli continues. We're pretty much remaking the enemy ship sprites, trying to add the heavy fanservise visual novel element (I've found us an artist but she's sorta inexperienced so I'm not sure if that'll work out) and on the russian version on the game. Who knows, maybe our fellow comrades will support us if only out of patriotism.

I've also started designing our next project - it's a Wasteland/Underrail hybrid and yes, I'm talking about Wasteland 1 here. It will feature a not very conventional post-apoc setting (the overal plot has Solaris vibes, just with more horror included), a Wasteland-like graphics (the exact style is not defined yet and depends on our artist) and will be strongly exploration-based. Just like the original Wasteland was, pretty much, only with underrailish combat instead of a blobber (and no party but believe me - in that setting no party will work better). The codename for it is "The Fountain of Screams".

Pope Amole II

Developer
It's been a while since I've done a proper funbuilding but now we're back to our roots - a thorough dissection about the intricacies of Geneforge 2.

And, as a bonus section for the russian brethren, a full review of the recent Fallout: Nevada mod (which is awesome):

No english version of this one because there's no english of the mod and chances for it are very low.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
No english version of this one because there's no english of the mod and chances for it are very low.
:negative:
What the hell. Only rusian mods are made to release state and not translated.
Maybe Olympus get better luck.

Luka-boy

Arcane

Pope Amole II

Developer
Could you give us non-Russians a general description of that mod?

I won't repeat what you can find in the wiki, but my highlights are such:

- Excellent balance between the combat & questing. There isn't a lot of combat and most of it is challenging and really non-trashy.

- Very good quests. Pretty much zero of banal fedex/kill them all. A lot of the quests actually require you to pay attention and think about what you're doing. I'd even say that the game has quite a Quest for Glory feeling (for me, Fallout 1 was always familiar to the QfG in the structure, just with more trash combat; this game intencifies that greatly).

- Suddenly, non-combat skills are almost all very useful, important and profitable. Mostly because of the previous paragraph - speech is still important, but no longer a universal key that opens all doors. Lots of uses for Doctor, Repair and Science. Gambling allows you to feel much safer early on. Lockpick is rather vital as there are a lot of important locked doors. Sneak is inevitable if you want to go as a non-combat char (and you really want to). Traps and thieving are not that commonly used, but still occasionally needed. Outdoorsman is really helpful when searching for treasures with your metal detector. Barter is used in quests and to gain access to better items sold. Honestly, the only bad skill is the first aid. All that even makes Gifted not so broken in this mod - you have to metagame very meticulously to survive through that -10% to all penalty. And Good Natured, on the other hand, is awesome.

- Just to showcase all that, I finished the game with a 7-1-6-8-10-7-1 good natured - one hander build (traits were thief-2x bonus movement-lifegiver- bonus hth attacks - action boy - slayer). Tags on unarmed, doctor & lockpicking.

- In the beginning of the game, there is a real deficit of everything. Money, guns, bullets, medicine - you name it. In Fallout 1, you could've had about 16 stimpaks by the time you leave Shady Sands. Here, I've had, like, 3 for the first half of the game. Later on, it gets easier (especially if you go heavy on crafting - repair is also good as they implemented crafting), but the beginning is quite atmospheric.

- Lots of nifty metagaming possibilities once you know your way around the game. Like, there is one very interesting path for the heavy weapons guy as, if you know the right way, you can get the flamer pretty much from the start. Would love to try it out, but I'm rushing Pillars from tomorrow so no time, unfortunately.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Well, I dunno, maybe someone wants, it's just that it is hard to imagine that. There is a lot of text inside and it is a huge amount of work that someone will have to do for free. I mean, yeah, sure, the mod itself is pretty much the same, but at least the authors have the bragging rights of being creators (and let's not forget that it was developed for 6 years). Maybe in a couple of years someone will manage to translate it?

Pope Amole II

Developer
Since the classes are all very different, this time I'm gonna go another route - first 11 videos, one for each of the classes, then the global Funbuilding one. Yeah, I'll record a crapload of videos in a week or so. The paladin one is already up, the chanter one will also be coming today:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Small correction: you say "Critical Focus" gives 5% more criticals, but it turns 5% of "normal hits" (50% of all attacks against standard and low deflect enemes, less than 50% of all attacks against high deflect enemies) into crits. So most of the time it turns 2.5% of your nearby allies' attacks from normal hits into criticals. I'd probably first take one of the style talents that give +15% damage before taking CF. Probably a +6 accuracy talent too.

Pope Amole II

Developer
nice vids but please learn to pronounce v's. That's wery wery important.

KK, I'll try to work on that. Can't promise anything but I'll try.

Small correction: you say "Critical Focus" gives 5% more criticals, but it turns 5% of "normal hits" (50% of all attacks against standard and low deflect enemes, less than 50% of all attacks against high deflect enemies)

I know that that works this way. But it's just the way you want to phrase it - either 2.5% or attacks or 5% of hits. I guess you could say that the usefulness here really depends on your party's accuracy focus - whether or not you have a one-handed battle axe user, for example. But, since there isn't a lot of offensive paladin talents and, by the end of it, you're pretty much taking them all, I don't think the order is that important.

Diablo169

Arcane
Just a small piece of constructive criticism. if your going to do a video with multiple character builds in it , possibly put time stamps for each one in the video description? Very handy video though, looking forward to the rest.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Just a small piece of constructive criticism. if your going to do a video with multiple character builds in it , possibly put time stamps for each one in the video description? Very handy video though, looking forward to the rest.

I keep forgetting about these. Y'know, my mind is filled by all those combos and synergies atm so it's hard to think straight. Anyhow, done and will get done for the rest of the vids.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Invoking my popamole powers, I'm presenting another one - this time it is the chanter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom