Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Nerd Commando Guide Channel (ex-funbuilding & stuff)

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
It really is shaping up to be a worthy Fallout successor, isn't it?

Do clarify which one you're asking about.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Last vid was funny: "niet, niet, niet... zaraza!" (no, no, no... pestilence!)

Pope Amole II

Developer
AntharioN funbuilding is up. Also, Hong Kong will probably get done tomorrow (unless something happens) and then it's gonna be a lo-o-ong white march.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Renowned Explorers. They're a bit short for their price, I guess (20 hours or so, 30 tops, after that it becomes really repetitive), but they're pretty fun while they last so I probably would recommend them.

ED: Also, I've thought about making BEDLAM funbuilding, but I dunno, that game is so shallow that telling any tip is like ruining half of the gameplay value it has. Despite that, I sorta enjoyed it, but it's an even shorter experience - after just 6 hours, I feel like i'm totally done with the game. I'll probably write a review for the 'dex.

Alfons

Prophet
I played bedlam for about 5 hours, never finished and I feel that I did. Past the 1-hour mark, you are doing exactly the same shit all the time.

Pope Amole II

Developer
That's exactly what I'm saying in my LP (only I played it for 6 hours and finished on the second attempt) - the gameplay is really shallow. Nothing to play there, really, and no balance patches will fix that (as you can't balance out something that doesn't exist).

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I started playing MM6 recently and watched your TL:DR video for it. There is so much information dump in that 1 hour, which is way too randomly distributed. I liked Underrail video better, there is more focus there.

Do you prepare a cohesive script before recording? It might keep the random ramblings at bay...

Pope Amole II

Developer
I fully improv, of course. And that depends on the system - Underrail is just very logically built, it's development paths are clear and so you can make good rules about it. Whereas M&M VI-VIII system is kinda lolrandom, with lots of weird stuff, things working in very unobvious ways, bugs and exceptions. It's more the game that is to blame here.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
D:OS EE time.
Your guides for PoE were great and generally you have a good grasp of mechanics so I'm surprised to hear that you found the starting fight impossible to win without using consumables. It's pretty easy actually. I did it with a 10 Str Knight + 9 Int/7 Spd Inquisitor. Teleport > Summon Spider > Weaken (spider) > Freezing Touch > Fire Wand (regular shot to ignite the poison cloud) > Regeneration (if needed) > Crushing Fist... at this point all enemies are dead, dying or controlled. Of course there's no reason to save consumables for later because you always find tons of them so by all means throw a grenade or something just for fun. What I'm trying to say here is that with a sane initial skill loadout the fight is a joke with or without consumables.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Well, I've done Witcher 3 so why wouldn't I do F4? Besides, apart from the dumbfuck plot & mind-numbingly retarded writing, it's a decent game. Nice RPG system, open world and a pleasant number of ways to explore it. That's rather pointless to explain on the Codex, though (besides, most of the people here play it anyways, lol).

Alfons

Prophet
But Twitcher was just 3 build videos. According to google translate this is going to going to be a playthrough series.

Pope Amole II

Developer
But Twitcher was just 3 build videos. According to google translate this is going to going to be a playthrough series.

So? When I was doing W3 guides, I was doing them on a 7 year old PC that was able to run it on a minimal requirements and was very BSOD-prone. So I couldn't really LPs that often. Now I have a new PC so I'm just making more LPs as I'm exploring the game myself. D:OS (the russian one) was done the same way. And I'm just doing more LPs in general as I want my channel to grow.

Besides, on my front page, I'm gonna put the Fallout 4 playlist back to back with the Underrail one - got more complaints?

What are those ways? (I'm genuinely curious.) Is it any different from other recent Bethesda games?

Well, I haven't played F3 and oblivion/skyrim so I can't say if it is different. But the RPG system surely offers different strategic approaches. I, for example, play as a 9 Int 9 Cha 6 Per character who gets most of his XPs from talking (obviously) and crafting. And trading (or, rather, bottle caps) leads to even more crafting so, basically, there's a reason to earn money as you can always turn them into more xps. I've done, like, 3 early main quests, 4 sidequests and I'm already level 12 in that manner. It also leaves an imprint on your exploration of the world - like, you really want to find a safe route to the harsher parts of the world this way (not sure about the "harsher" specifically, but rushing to the first major city is a definite must) but as most paths are trapped one way or another, it's all about breaking through them without fighting. Sealth would've helped, but that's another playstyle.

And stealth, btw, is also very interesting. At the very least, now there's more differense between thief-type stealthers (Agi+Per) and ninja-type stealthers (Agi+Str). You can do all three stats, of course, but then you're left without both available XP boosters (either high int or good luck & low int). Economy also will suck that way. And, well, because of caps to XP conversion and no level cap, economy seems to matter.

And there are just small stuffs like, for example, Aquaboy (which allows you to swim without getting rads for that - yeah, you can just take rad-x, but that's not a sureproof solution). So you can skip some dangerous parts that way, it seems. It's not that great because of the crappy underwater visibility, though, but that's another matter.

Etc. I haven't played that much of the game, but I enjoy messing around the world at the moment. That's on the Very Hard difficulty, btw (that's the one before the highest - Survival mode; I'd do that but my char is semi-combat so most of the stuff oneshots me anyway).

Pope Amole II

Developer
Wanna have a good minecraft experience in your fallout game? Ask me how. Well, you may not ask, but I'll tell anyways:

Or, if you feel crappy about all this newfaggotry, you can always drown your sorrows in booze. That one never failed me before (because I never tried it, I guess):

But, if you're all upstuck and prude and if you like to LARP post-apocalyptic knights in the shining armor, I have something for you too. Steel be with you!

Finally, if you're waiting for a proper Thief-sequel, have no worries - Fallout 4 is a proven masterpiece, of course it can do that too!

More coming tomorrow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom