Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News NEO Scavenger Officially Released

EG

Nullified
What in the hell is the tarp for? I can't figure that out.
tarp can be used as cover in a campsite (when it's raining) if I'm not mistaken. Didn't try this yet but you probably just need to add it to the campsite you use and it'll boost some stat (I think).
Been a while, but I believe it actually is used in crafting to create a lean-to, which is then used in a campsite.

Yep: http://neoscavenger.wikia.com/wiki/Tarp_Shelter

snoek

Cipher
Is there any kind of story to this game? Or just survival?
apparently there is a story.
I've not explored it very far (because I die a lot and generally get distracted while scavenging).
Some things I've encountered (no spoilers)
-I've found a lot of old newspaper (bits) which contain random lore
-There are certain timed events that give you a 'direction' to travel to if you wish to do so, I would assume this is the 'main quest'.
You can just go wherever you wish however, there's no time limit or anything.

What I love about this game is that so much of it is yet unknown to me (I try to figure everything out myself) and I've only visited a fraction of the world so I have no idea what else is out there!
Literally having a blast with this game.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Is there any kind of story to this game? Or just survival?

There's very much both a setting and a plot. The setting is so far revealed mostly just through encounters and scraps of paper--old newspapers detailing the crumbling of the old world, pterodactyls in the sky, wolf-men and melonheaded mutants in the woods. There's also a strange creature tailing you--I've only yet run into it once, but the encounter is distinctly FUCKFUCKFUCK in a running-away-in-a-survival-horror way you wouldn't expect to encounter with this kind of turn-based combat. you'll definitely know when you encounter it.

the plot doesn't start until after the first grueling leg of your journey, after which you get sent on a little mission...to go back out into the wilderness and retrieve an artifact. no rest for the scavenger.

the game does a great job projecting a sense of strange menace. it reminds me in some ways of STALKER in that "the world is subtly coming apart at the seams," but it's less understated, more overtly weird, and more relentlessly dangerous. even its overtness, though, carefully occludes detail, just giving you enough to want to know what the fuck's going on. sometimes I think it's just a society that got into gonzo superscience and collapsed, sometimes I think it's an after-the-end cosmic horror story, sometimes I think it's something more directly supernatural.

I -definitely- wanna find out, though. and god damn it I never will because it's kicking my aaass, damn you narrative + permadeath, why must you tease so

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
tarp can be used as cover in a campsite (when it's raining) if I'm not mistaken. Didn't try this yet but you probably just need to add it to the campsite you use and it'll boost some stat (I think).
Been a while, but I believe it actually is used in crafting to create a lean-to, which is then used in a campsite.

I think it can also be used to repair the heating in that spare room (awesome campsite) in the cryo facility.

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I think it can also be used to repair the heating in that spare room (awesome campsite) in the cryo facility.

Also when used with medium string it makes a large handy sack.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
HOLY SHIT. THIS GAME. THANK YOU FOR SHOWING ME THE WAY, CODEX.

I put about 30 hours in over 4 days O_o. I did a lot of save-scumming to explore the game's lore because I hated dying close to the endgame. But that's fine. Worth it.

The setting is brilliantly thought out, and you can fill in a lot of the blanks with exploration and questing. TBH, to answer some questions, I dug though the game's main .xml text file to read the dialogue.

My two favorite parts of the game were the first time I encountered the Wraith, and when I finally figured out how to defeat it and lept through the portal there. Holy shit.

It's worth reading the developer's posts in the forums to understand the setting even more.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
UPDATE: Neo Scavenger has given me the most fucked up dreams since I played PS:T for the first time. 10/10.

crawlkill

I was cheating massively and, as expected, it lost some of its allure--think I may just savescum instead and play a halfway honest game with the normal ups and downs.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I was cheating massively and, as expected, it lost some of its allure--think I may just savescum instead and play a halfway honest game with the normal ups and downs.
Isn't save scumming impossible due to the inability to save without quitting? or am I missing something obvious here.

EG

Nullified
Isn't save scumming impossible due to the inability to save without quitting? or am I missing something obvious here.
Like most flash games, you can just backup it's AppData location periodicly. Don't know about the save on quit, though.

crawlkill

What I do is save on quit when I want to archive then copy the specific savefile from app data. for steam install:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\ARANDOMNUMBER\localhost\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\NEO Scavenger\NEOScavenger.exe

the file itself is nsSGv1.sol

A fan wrote an external terminal savegame manager, but I haven't been able to get it to work. but it's not hard to save and quite, save your nsSGv1 file to a backup subfolder, call it something like MADE IT TO CITY WITH NO DISEASE and keep shit there.

I'd recommend saving before every text adventure segment; bad shit can result.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I just saved & quit before an important encounter, then if I didn't like the result, I closed the Flash player and restarted it again, it works since the game doesn't save when you exit this way. I wish I was able to finish the game the way the developer intended, but repeated failures tend to crush my soul and I don't think I'd be able to take that many when trying to complete
Castle Grayskull
without reading the wiki and using the saving trick. :negative:

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
When you die, the save is deleted though, so that doesn't work.
I didn't wait until the death screen appears, though. I held out until a text appeared in the quest interface that describes how and why you die (and usually there's a message below - "Player died of acute bleeding in the lungs" or something like that), at which point I would close the game.

Dead Guy

Cipher
Man, why haven't I read about this before?

After reading this thread, I've never wanted to die of acute bleeding in the lungs so much before!

Updated my cart.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom