Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News NEO Scavenger Officially Released

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: NEO Scavenger

The survival roguelike NEO Scavenger, featuring a complex crafting system and unique "1D" combat based on the distance from your opponent (yes, I took that description from our Steam curator page), has officially launched today after having spent some time in Early Access.

NEO Scavenger has officially launched! After almost four years of development, nearly three of which were in Beta/Early Access, it's finally time for the big v1.0!

NEO Scavenger is my first commercially released game, and is a sort of love letter to the pen and paper role-playing games I grew up playing. In it, the player takes on the role of a character who wakes up in a strange facility where the world has experienced some cataclysm. Using their wits and anything they can scavenge from their surroundings, they explore this strange wasteland, piecing together clues about their past.

12072.png

It's a hard game, where the player must take care to think of everything from dressing appropriately to disinfecting wounds. The story will not come spoon-fed to you, and the game will not hold your hand. But for those who are persistent and clever, rewards and answers await!​

Aside from Steam, the game is also available on GOG.com.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gozma

Arcane
Fun to figure out. Novel thematic stuff, novel 1v1 combat system. Fun to play different perk/skill sets too, fun to find bizarre weirdness in the world. It's good, buy it.

Note: I played the beta quite a lot a long time ago, where the "main plot" content would run out almost immediately, and now I'm kinda too sick of it to finish the game (I've gotten killed at the point of having a character that's just ready to really explore twice) so I dunno how that holds up or how long it goes on.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Great game, very detailed survival mechanics and one of the coolest combat systems I've ever seen.

And you can play as a cannibal hobo that wears skirts. 'NUFF SAID.

Cazzeris

I hope Steam Winter Sales don't hurt this game's sale numbers too much.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Neo Scavanger really has that old school vibe, and not as in retro. I was playing the demo a year ago and got immediately hooked,
getting the beta and playing it for months. The developer was also very active, giving progress reports almost on a daily basis,
talking about technical details, the choice and challenge a of programming language as a one man studio.

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
Hey guys, thanks for the shout-out! Been a pretty wild day so far. Chest is all tight with nerves :)

Re: Flash vs. Haxe, it is actually Flash. Haxe is what I intend to use in future projects, though. This is mainly due to the limitations Flash seems to be accumulating as it ages. Flash-cookie-based save system is one of the big deal breakers, and would accurately be considered "janky." Escape key hard-wiring is another. That said, I think I've managed to pin down the major issues this time around, I just don't want to wrestle that beast in the future if I don't have to.

Re: releasing before Christmas, this is indeed a big risk. I'm sure Steam's Holiday Sale will kick off before long, and that'll cannibalize sales to some degree. But on the other hand, NEO Scavenger's sort of a slow burner on the market, and seems to sell pretty well without front-page fanfare. In fact, early access got a real shot in the arm with the Steam Visibility Update, as many more were able to see the game in their recommendations list. That, and the reviews seem to be pretty positive so far!

In any case, despite being nervous as hell, I'm feeling pretty confident that it'll do well enough to keep making games in the future. Thanks to all here who provided valuable feedback and suggestions during the beta!

EG

Nullified
Re: releasing before Christmas, this is indeed a big risk. I'm sure Steam's Holiday Sale will kick off before long, and that'll cannibalize sales to some degree.

Wouldn't be too worried. PZ released last year around the same time. Sold well enough to hire half a dozen people, including myself (just tech support), and is still going well enough a year later. That's without the Holiday sale. You'll be fine. ;)

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
one of the coolest combat systems I've ever seen..

My copy of the book depends entirely on this description hitting the spot. I let Xulima slide because I'm a terrible person and couldn't force myself to play.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm joking, I'm getting the book regardless. Keep on truckin' my good sir.

Gozma

Arcane
I think the combat is not that inherently amazing (certainly not tactically) BUT it is fresh/novel and interacts well with the survival roguelike stuff, like infected wounds and that kind of thing.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm not saying it's ultra deep & tactical, but I find cool how he hides damage & hitpoints, how fights usually end with people on the ground kicking each other, the drama of releasing whatever cart / sledge you're carrying stuff to be able to run in combat, how wounds matter a lot and all that... as you said, it fits very well with the game. You're desperate, getting tired, rolling in the mud and wondering just when will this motherfucker drop dead.

Hiding the weapon damage is especially interesting.... You don't go "the baseball bat deals 1d4 more than the knife", but instead "I feel more confident with the bat than with the knife". In this DPS-driven era, it's very refreshing.

Seriouslly, hats off to you dcfedor. :salute:

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
Thanks felipepepe ! It's good to hear you're experiencing the combat the way it was intended. I think some folks prefer stats, and stats definitely have their place. But I wanted to see how it felt hiding that stuff to make it more about judgement calls and play experience. That, and the absence of information makes us fill in the gaps with our own interpretations. Usually those are cooler than anything I could come up with!

So basically, the game gives you lots of hints to drape your imagination off of :)

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Thanks felipepepe ! It's good to hear you're experiencing the combat the way it was intended. I think some folks prefer stats, and stats definitely have their place. But I wanted to see how it felt hiding that stuff to make it more about judgement calls and play experience. That, and the absence of information makes us fill in the gaps with our own interpretations. Usually those are cooler than anything I could come up with!

So basically, the game gives you lots of hints to drape your imagination off of :)

I love roguelikes in ANSI for this very reason. If you have embodied that, it's a win in my books. Bought.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bros, how long is this game in terms of hours, more or less?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom