Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline NEO Scavenger: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival RPG

Overboard

Arcane
Yeah I have a Desura key, but don't use their service. Nevermind, the game is worth full price, take my ten dorrar! :takemyjewgold:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Do you like money? If so, do it.

Well, you do make a compelling argument :)

A few folks, devs included, have mentioned that NEO Scavenger might be a good fit for that sort of venue. So I guess I have some research homework!

Well, it isn't any different from Desura's Crowdfunding. The only difference is the size od the market and the fact that some people expect these games to be finished. I haven't played your game in a long time but from what I remember it had quite a lot of integrated features, a design that didn't suffer from the addition of new ones and was quite polished and pleasant to play. So if I was on your place I would definitely go for it. Just make sure you don't give false promises and dates, people don't like that and can be quite vocal about it. This can, of course, hurt your game in the long run.

P.S. didn't bother reading your updates, did you add the save on exit feature? It was really annoying that you couldn't just close the program, turn off your computer and then continue when you wanted/had free time.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Also, posting new versions on Steam is nothing compared to the pain of Desura. You can separate the unstable builds to a different branch.

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
CyberWhale, that's reassuring. Thanks for the vote of confidence! As for your question, there is a "Save & Quit" feature which allows you to resume later, is that what you mean? It's only in the beta, though.

Haba, interesting! I've definitely lamented the build/news approval process at Desura, so that'll be a refreshing change.

Though I will say this: the initial learning curve of getting onto Steam seems much steeper. I'm reading the SteamWorks/SteamPipe setup docs now, and wow. We've got depots, packages, builds, SDKs to install, dlls to integrate... I guess it's time to put the grown-up pants on, here.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
CyberWhale, that's reassuring. Thanks for the vote of confidence! As for your question, there is a "Save & Quit" feature which allows you to resume later, is that what you mean? It's only in the beta, though.

No thanks needed, it was my honest opinion based on playing an early demo version of your game. Yes, I was asking about "Save & Quit" feature and I'm glad that you have integrated it into your beta (that's a smart move, if someone wants this he should buy the game). Fortunately for me, I have it on Desura.

P.S. I would advise you to make a new trailer (nothing wrong with the concept of the old one, but it seems a bit slow for this kind of game), make thorough instructions manual and be active on their forums when you launch your game on Steam. Good luck.

Last edited:

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
NEO Scavenger just went live on Steam Early Release!

Thanks again, guys, for giving me a little push. I think this move will be a big help!

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
Lol, nice chicken dance :) And thanks!

As for content, there are about 9 major encounters (comparable to the cryo or Zom Zom's ones), and probably 100ish mini/random encounters (moral choices). But there are also some hidden nuggets in the headlines and data files (i.e. hacking) which reveal setting and lore.

Content is still high priority, too. So more is on the way!

Disappointed with Fargo's subterfuge and Wasteland 2 Beta aka Fallout copycat shovelware ? Look no further for the true spiritual successor is here, now with also with a public demo on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248860
http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/2176
http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/2240

So what is NEO Scavenger? A post-apoc isometric TB survival RPG that is high on abstraction and game systems, crafting and exploration. Game world is seen through a hexagonal landmap where encounters and exploring local areas are presented in an abstracted but modernized style similar to the original Wasteland, in a manner similar to text-adventures except with basic direction and action buttons instead of text input or an action list.

For me at least, playing this game is an experience that hits far closer to the original Wasteland than WL2 and is certainly more lethal and tense, something WL2 Beta is lacking for me. Give it a try.

Screenshots:
nsScreen01.png

nsScreen13.png

nsScreen02.png

nsScreen11.png

nsScreen03.png

nsScreen04.png

nsScreen05.png

nsScreen06.png

nsScreen09.png

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
VoTS wanted a orange-thread, mod gave him lemon-merge.

I hope the game has streamlined the ridiculous inventory mini-game and actually lets you pickup stuff from stashes without first unequipping weapons, then pickup the bag, then open it, then pick up the stuff, then put it in inventory, then drop the bag then pick up the weapons.

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
Wow, thanks cherry blossom! I have to admit that I can't take all the credit. Players have weighed-in on countless topics and helped my drunken wandering over the years. I do take credit for the "killer DM" tone, though. I've never been very merciful with my players. Fair? Yes. But not merciful :)

SCO, I'd estimate that it's still a fair bit more fiddly than most games' inventory systems. I've probably strayed more towards tedium when trying to achieve realism. That said, however, you'll be happy to hear that items now have right-click menus for things such as "empty out." And depending on how long it's been for you, auto-sorting and container previews, too!

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
Very addicting.

Having trouble picking a good start though. I always end up getting my head caved in by a raider or bandit.

Kron

Arcane
There's quite an unexplainable pleasure in having your character dressed in rags push a supermarket cart with assorted trash in it.

NEO Scavenger: A Post-Apocalytpic HOBO RPG!

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
It's worse than you think. Try cannibalism :)

My guy is in a dogman coat, with spears, eating human meat...

Kron

Arcane
Sounds like something that would happen in an apocalypse a hobocalypse.

Only thing left for the game to have is an indicator of hair and facial hair length, just so that you get an idea of how unkempt your guy is.

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
Would removing the shopping cart make it less hobo?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom