Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline NEO Scavenger: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival RPG

Perkel

Arcane
REEEEEEE

Keep going.

tindrli

Arcane
My first playthough finally came to an end. All was going on pretty well until I got attacked by a mad preacher who proceeded to hack to me to death with his crowbar after I unsucessfully tried to talk to him.

Survival time : 1 day, 8.49 hours

:negative:

what weapon did you use most?

i played shit of it waaaaay back and i remember that there was no weapon like that big branch

zool

Arcane
My first playthough finally came to an end. All was going on pretty well until I got attacked by a mad preacher who proceeded to hack to me to death with his crowbar after I unsucessfully tried to talk to him.

Survival time : 1 day, 8.49 hours

:negative:

what weapon did you use most?

i played shit of it waaaaay back and i remember that there was no weapon like that big branch

I had a crowbar too but he hit me first, I fell and then it was all over very quickly. Still hadn't found a firearm or any other weapon yet.

In my current game, just killed my first guy with my bare fists (he was unarmed too) and stole his shoes, it did feel very satisfying. I'm covered in bruises though. I love the detailed injury system, makes me hate on HP-based systems even more. I hadn't seen anything like it since I played 101 : the Airborne Invasion of Normandy.

Unwanted

Pequod

Unwanted
Get the crafting perks required for the long spear. Up melee. Trivialize combat. Now you can start the main gameplay element: grinding for a backpack and a shopping cart...

gaussgunner

Arcane
When you win......
791DD8A437A85806CC08B373DABF07B66B64638D

Old but classic.

zool

Arcane
So I finally beat the game. Lots of bold design decisions which I liked, great crafting system (turning dirty rags into clean rags by plunging them into boiling water in an empty soup can has got to be one of my most rewarding RPG experiences), great atmosphere (special props to the eagle eye view of the DMC and to the drawings in unique locations - esp. the Red Gnome).

Still have the feeling that I haven't seen everything, so that warrants another playthrough (more likely several). However, I definitely need to install one of the big mods to get more items diversity, so I'm looking for advice here :

Among the big mods, what's the best option between NeoScav Extended and Mighty (Mini) Mod of Doom?

Any other smaller mods I should install on top of them?

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
Wow, this is impressive. And just about everything in this seems apropos to the setting! Everything, that is, except smooth, unbroken surfaces to roll on :)

overtenemy

Augur
Wow, this is impressive. And just about everything in this seems apropos to the setting! Everything, that is, except smooth, unbroken surfaces to roll on :)
At least implement stuffing kids into shopping carts/selling them and I won't tell people that you just ripped off Roller Blade and removed the roller blades so no one would notice.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
dcfedor

Let us do this plz

Off-topic: so I was watching the roller-blading scene, and figured I'd hit the sack right after that.

Then I saw the scene with the nuns.

All I can say is, I'm glad I'm not watching this at work :bounce:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://bluebottlegames.com/content/and-now-something-completely-different

And Now for Something Completely Different...

screenshot-2018-07-02.jpg

Hey Folks! Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. Ours was a little bittersweet as we watched Canada Day festivities on CBC live from afar. We miss our other home at times like these. I also suited up for vacuuming the 100+ year old crawlspace beneath our house. Darkness, cramped and hard to reach spaces, awkward equipment, and limited breathing. I imagine submarine mechanic work is worse, but not by much.

Back at the office, I finally cracked open the NEO Scavenger mobile code to see where Tiago left off. He was in the process of converting NEO Scavenger mobile to work on desktop, to see if we could replace the aging Flash engine with this Haxe one.

So far, it sort of works. One could already actually play the straight mobile version on PC if they chose. The UI would have all the mobile stuff in place, and would behave just like the mouse was a finger touching the screen. However, no keyboard. And no mods.

Tiago made a fair amount of progress getting it prepped for loading mods, but it's in a sort of netherland right now. The strict memory optimizations we made are playing havoc with the old way of loading images and data. And a lot of plumbing needs to be restored or rewritten to intercept asset loads and redirect them to appropriate base or mod sources.

And ideally, all of this would be done in a way to avoid breaking the mobile code. In other words, the same code base generating all targets. I have a few doubts about that as I'm now looking at the data loading/modding code, but we'll see. It's only been one day.

What does this mean for the space prototype? A temporary delay. I've always sort of pictured rereleasing NEO Scavenger Haxe version before the space prototype, just as a way of saying thanks to all the fans for their support. And I still want to do this.

However, it'll depend on how much work is involved in the restoration. I can stand a few weeks delay. Even a month or so. But I don't want space prototype to fade away from neglect. For now, let's see how this goes!

Farewell into the night

I find it difficult to focus on this game. Tried 2 times, and I ended up with the same result...

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
@thesheep, thanks! Got my work cut out for me, that's for sure. Re: the fullscreen, if this is a Flash+Linux woe, then the outlook for improvement is good!

Jazz_, it's not the best, I'll admit. If you have specific suggestions, I'm keeping notes for improvement when it comes time for the sequel. The "unreadable crap" font could be due to non-integer amount zoom, which tends to kill pixel fonts. Turning off scaling in the options and/or using a different GUI size (i.e. "Small" vs "Big" vs "4:3" mode) might help.

udm, haha. Sorry! I couldn't resist once I realized what I looked like. Turns out, getting ready to give your house a 100-year prostrate exam requires similar get-up to scavenging the wastes!

dawcio, admittedly, it's not for everyone. For some of us, though, it is the special hell we all wanted.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

After a few dev posts later...: http://bluebottlegames.com/content/stuffs-gettin-better-everyday

Stuff's Gettin' Better Everyday

screenshot-2018-07-09.jpg

Hey Folks! Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. I'd say it was a pretty good one here. Nice weather. Nice dinners. A trip to the zoo. And a night where we were able to socialize with grown-ups. Yay!

Back in dev land, I found myself thinking of the today's title, a quote from the Postman, when prepping today's devlog. NEO Scavenger desktop version is getting better everyday.

As you can see in today's image, gone are the fat mobile buttons and slide-out tray that hid several of the action buttons like Run and Hide. The cursor mode toggle stays put when you click it, instead of the mobile fly-out for easier tapping near screen edge. And several of the mobile-only text labels are now omitted from the desktop build.

As part of all this, I decided to create a separate class for storing desktop UI coordinates, since it was starting to become a real mess in there. Between multiple screen layouts and platforms, there were just too many combos of too many values making maintenance a pain.

Now, there is a desktop and mobile class where I can define sensible values for everything without having branching code and exceptions.

It's nearly identical to the old UI now, with a few minor improvements (like fatter scroll buttons on the log and attack modes, and other areas where it doesn't hurt).

Next steps include:
  • Fix remaining UI errors on main menu.
  • Revisit the modding code and see if I can resurrect that, now that the game loads completely in desktop mode.
  • Check non-default UI modes (4:3 and BIG UI modes). (Big, in particular, hasn't been maintained since mobile, and likely is broken.)
Only one of those is trivial work, so plenty more to do!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Many dev posts later...: https://bluebottlegames.com/content/help-screen-audio-and-aa

I started compiling a changelog to use in the announcement for when this launches, and I think it's going to be a pretty big hit :)

Many dev posts later, it's coming soon...: https://bluebottlegames.com/content/osxlinuxyay

screenshot-2018-08-24.png

Hey Folks! I think we may be, dare I say it, done? As of about 3pm today, I was able to compile and run NEO Scavenger Haxe edition on all three platforms without crashes!

90% of my day was spent futilely poking the code and flailing about, rebuilding the entire dll and game projects each time, hoping to see the needle move even a little. I even got down and dirty into some byte allocation/deallocation code, thinking I could wiggle past the malloc bug plaguing me on OSX/Linux.

In the end, I stumbled back over an old (2015!) thread in which someone else was having a similar issue. Only this time, I noticed something I missed before: Lars Doucet was mentioned as posting a fix to the exact issue I was having!

It turns out that my project code, being frozen at Lime version 2.9.1, just missed Lars's embedded audio fix in 3.0.0. Changing a Bytes(data) call to a Bytes() call followed by Bytes.Set(data) was all it needed. Changing that deep inside the dll and recompiling solved all the issues.

Well hallelujah!

Further evidencing the fact that I am just a past-life incarnation of Lars, following his every step :)

Anyway, assuming there isn't an explosion over the weekend or anything, I plan to compile some release builds of the game and begin the uploading process. Definitely as a test build on the BBG site, and maybe also in the test branch on Steam, too. I won't post anywhere else until a few folks have tried it without exploding, since I don't want to replace the only working builds on GOG/Humble with broken ones.

We're almost there, folks. Have a good weekend, and prepare for an interesting week!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Test build of the native app version is now available on the official website, and it will be uploaded to the other stores (Steam, GOG, Humble) tomorrow: https://bluebottlegames.com/content/sneak-peek

Sneak Peek

screenshot-2018-08-27.jpg

Hey Folks! Got a bit of a sneak peek for you today.

I've uploaded the newest "test" build of NEO Scavenger, v1.3.0 to the BBG website. And anyone with access to the full version on this site can click the "test" download links to get it. This is the Haxe engine port I've been working on over the last little while, and features a number of improvements and fixes, and should feel more like a native app than the old Flash one. (Namely, because it is a native app now!)

Anyway, feel free to try it out now if you'd like. I'll be uploading the builds to the remaining stores tomorrow (Steam, GOG, Humble), and making a "big deal" announcement once that's done.

If you run into any issues with it, do let me know!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom