Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline NEO Scavenger: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival RPG

Ebola1717

Novice
https://bluebottlegames.com/games/neo-scavenger

https://af.gog.com/game/neo_scavenger?as=1649904300

Brand new post-apocalyptic survival RPG with turn-based combat!!! And the demo's out!

http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/7

Oh yeah, and it's made by some old Bioware devs.:smug:

NEO Scavenger is available at many of your favorite online retailers, including:
NEO Scavenger Mobile Released!

Hey Folks! NEO Scavenger Mobile Edition is officially launched!

After a few stumbles, and nearly a year of development, NEO Scavenger is now available on your iOSand/or Android device of choice. This is the same game you've grown to love/hate on PC, with all the same features, except the UI has been adjusted to work with multitouch instead of a cursor. That means the same slow-burn, deep-mechanics, play-at-your-leisure experience can now be enjoyed on your favorite bus/couch/train/bed/plane/armchair.

What's New?
This version of NEO Scavenger learned a few new tricks! The mobile version has the following improvements:
  • Achievements - Track your progress in exploring all the game has to offer.
  • Leaderboards - See how your performance stacks-up against friends and other players.
  • Improved Save System - No more Flash cookies!
Is There a Demo?
Yup! You can download the free demo at:

and play it as long as you'd like. It's an unlimited time, limited features/content demo, and it should be enough to help you decide if it runs on your device, and whether you like the experience or not.

How Do I Get the Full Version?
To get the full version, just click the "Full Version" button in the app's main menu, and follow the prompts for the in-app purchase (IAP). It will permanently unlock the full version on your device. The price is 9.99 USD to unlock the full version (adjusted for local currencies).

Why Does It Cost $X? Why Not $Y?
I originally wanted to charge the same price on mobile as desktop, since it's basically the same product. (Slightly improved, even.) But the mobile world is weird and prices there don't look like prices on desktop. So instead, I chose a price similar to other mobile games like NEO Scavenger (9.99USD). And just like on desktop, there are games that are both more or less than the price I chose, for better or worse.

If I Already Own the Desktop Version, Do I Get a Free Mobile Copy?
Unfortunately, no. It's a neat idea, but even if I could afford to do this, I'm not even sure I could reliably link desktop owners to mobile accounts without rampant free-copy exploits.

Will the Desktop Version Be Upgraded, Too?
Hard to say. It's something I'd like to do, but it depends on a lot of factors. On one hand, I'd like to unshackle desktop players from the finicky Flash engine once and for all. But on the other hand, I'd really like to resume work on my next game. It's probably something I'll explore in my free time, but I don't want to make any promises I can't keep.

I Want To Help! What Can I Do?
Well, buying the game helps, of course. But if you can't (or prefer not to) do that, you can still help by spreading the word. Posting on sites like Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, or similar are a big help, too. And if you know anyone who might dig NEO Scavenger, please tell them!

Last edited by a moderator:

mondblut

Arcane
"Votes" are teh funniest.

Crafting apocalyptic pizza = fuckton votes.
Saving a game = 0 votes.

Lately I feel increasingly ashamed of ever associating myself with the "RPG" genre. And that's probably a reason why. Hell, even the final fantasy 7 or diablow fandom back in mid-90s weren't as disgusting and humiliating to be associated with as the "herp me plays a roles games derp" populace of today.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
This is the mainstream enjoying their best genre. I clearly remember when talking about videogames was about FIFA and Tekken and Mortal Combat, you can't imagine how frustrating was to see bland looks in the face of people when you mentioned Arcanum, Fallout or Baldur's Gate. God forbid mentioning Might & Magic 2! It took teh internetz to be able to talk about them.

MMXI

Arcane
Lately I feel increasingly ashamed of ever associating myself with the "RPG" genre. And that's probably a reason why. Hell, even the final fantasy 7 or diablow fandom back in mid-90s weren't as disgusting and humiliating to be associated with as the "herp me plays a roles games derp" populace of today.
Hang tight, buddy. We're almost through the worst of it. Just another few decades to go.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I died from cholera. I guess I'll have to find some way to boil water. Awesome stuff:D. I wish there would be stuff like that in Fallout. It would make both trading and outdoorsman very important.
Also, nice to see choose your own adventure stuff with skills.

MisterStone

Arcane
It's pretty fun, but I am wondering, is crafting not implemented at all? I had a character with mechanics but I couldn't even attach a scope to a rifle. :)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
How do you full-screen an embedded flash game?

Game seems pretty fun but sadly I won't strain my eyes to read that text in windowed.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It's pretty fun, but I am wondering, is crafting not implemented at all? I had a character with mechanics but I couldn't even attach a scope to a rifle. :)
I suspect there may be something else required like for example a tool to attach the scope with or a tape or something like that.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Cool concept. But like Zed mentioned, the font size is too small. And the flash mouse control is clumsy. Bookmarked.

MCA
Beautiful. I like the adventure-oriented simplistic take-or-leave design with abilities. But the way Hostile encounters work is very shoddy. Fighting someone on the next hex... and the interface can be better. Choosing betwen modes is kind of labourious.

To combine items, just drag an item over the other and click it.

I found a meat cleaver, fighted a looter with it who crippled me but I managed to kill him. I supposed my character was flinging the cleaver like a madman while crawling on the ground and shouting curse words. Then the condition worsened I died walking around :lol:

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
Hey Guys! I'm the dev working on NEO Scavenger. I noticed you had a thread started here, so I figured I'd respond to some of the comments and questions that have popped up.

First off, thanks to Ebola1717 for mentioning it! Posting here was on my list, though I admit I was a little nervous about doing so. You guys take your crpgs seriously, and I wasn't sure how well NEO Scavenger would fare in its early state. But I'm glad he did, as there's no better time to improve than early on, and there's some good feedback in here already.

Regarding font size and resolution, I hear ya. I too am starting to regret that font size, particularly in the long blocks of text used in encounters. I'm considering a 2x zoom as a short-term kludge, until I can come up with a better resolution and UI layout. I was noticing severe performance issues when zoomed, the first time I toyed with it. When you tried the swiffout tool, did you notice anything misbehave/slow down? At any rate, you are correct, the game needs to be gentler on those of us with older eyes :)

About save games, they're definitely in the cards, I'm just afraid of choosing the wrong style for the game. Awor links to an ongoing discussion at bluebottlegames.com, and there's plenty of disagreement. I'd welcome any wisdom you guys could bring to bear on the issue, as save games are a big deal, and can drastically change the way the game gets played. In particular, game challenge vs. save-scumming seems to be a tricky balance to strike.

About crafting, Awor's got the right idea. The crafting is pretty literal/rigorous right now, so many recipes require not only the base and upgrade parts, but 1-2 small parts/screws and a tool to complete the job. MisterStone's decision to use the "mechanic" skill is actually the right idea, just in the wrong recipe. I figured things like rifle scopes would be simple enough for consumers to do, but other things, like identifying berries and skinning squirrels, would require specialized skills during crafting. That said, the system is still young, and probably needs some usability love. I'm sort of watching it in the wild right now, to see what adjustments are needed.

Oh, and toro, you mention clumsy mouse control. Do you mean that it's laggy? Or that there's too much mousing? I tried to cover some more common functions with hotkeys (listed in parentheses in the tooltips), but there are definitely some rough spots to iron out.

Glad the choose-your-own-adventure style with skills was a hit! I was big into pen and paper rpgs as a kid, and I think those CYOA books helped spur me in that direction. And I feel many crpgs miss out on the problem solving that players experience in tabletop gaming, particularly outside the realm of combat and dialogue. Though, I'm finding it's really tough to think up every possible outcome in each encounter.

Also, glad to hear the lethality level is ok. I used to have a bit of a reputation among friends as a killer DM, and I've tried to tone that down, but I guess it still shows through at times :)

Regarding villain of the story's comment, could you elaborate a bit more? The combat is fairly simplistic right now, mainly due to my limited resources (e.g. combat plays out a bit more like Civ than traditional crpgs). I'm open to suggestions, though. And when you say choosing between modes is laborious, do you mean the item modes in the inventory screen (e.g. take/drop vs. move) or attack modes?

Again, thanks for the feedback. Some really good comments in here!

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Game seems pretty fun but sadly I won't strain my eyes to read that text in windowed.

Same question.

Swiffout just gives me a black screen.

The idea behind this game is awesome. But browser games suck :)

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just wanted to say, cool of you to stop by and read the thread. Yes, gaming is serious_business (tm) over here :) I'll play it a bit over the week, cannot really try it out while at work.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

If you want to do it within the browser, on Firefox you can just ctrl+mousewheel up/down to adjust the size (may have to right-click on the game and select Show All to get it to adjust), and press F11 for full-screen mode. Or you can just download the .swf itself and play locally.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Regarding font size and resolution, I hear ya. I too am starting to regret that font size, particularly in the long blocks of text used in encounters. I'm considering a 2x zoom as a short-term kludge, until I can come up with a better resolution and UI layout. I was noticing severe performance issues when zoomed, the first time I toyed with it. When you tried the swiffout tool, did you notice anything misbehave/slow down? At any rate, you are correct, the game needs to be gentler on those of us with older eyes :)

Welcome to the codex!

I didn't notice any particular slowdowns using swiffout. Then again, it's not really a heavily animated game so it's hard to notice. Flash has always been a bit wonky for me because I have to run without hardware acceleration (otherwise firefox crashes).

The only thing I'm not sure was working as intended was the inventory. I felt like sometimes I had to click several times to get things to respond. Could have been something to do with swiffout though -- I'm hardly an expert on the addon, I just installed it to make the game playable (for me). I think the font size and stuff is proportionally fine, for me it's the whole game simply being too small on the screen (1920x1080).

The game is fun and has tons of potential already.

MCA
Regarding villain of the story's comment, could you elaborate a bit more? The combat is fairly simplistic right now, mainly due to my limited resources (e.g. combat plays out a bit more like Civ than traditional crpgs). I'm open to suggestions, though. And when you say choosing between modes is laborious, do you mean the item modes in the inventory screen (e.g. take/drop vs. move) or attack modes?

Again, thanks for the feedback. Some really good comments in here!

Combat over hexes in Civ works because the units are abstractions of entire armies or platoons that cover some ground, not two single guys facing off 5 feet from each other or across a street. It also creates inconsistency with the looters situation. Something like the following would be far more ideal imo:

- Combat usually only possible when the hostile is in the same hex
- Attacking also possible if a hostile is in a nearby hex and you have a long-range weapon, especially one with a scope
- Hostiles in nearby hexes not spotting you by default
- Any time you enter a hex, hostile(s) may or may not be present
- You may spot or fail to spot hostile(s) in your hex
- Hostile(s) may spot or fail to spot you as well
- Increased chance of you and the present hostile(s) spotting each other every turn you spend in the same hex
- Leaving/entering a hex also an opportunity for hostile(s) in the old and new hexes to spot and attack you
- Scavenging, Hiding, Tracking, Trapping etc. skills applying their modifiers on this, obviously
- Opportunity to surprise sex sneak on hostiles in the hex when you spot one without being spotted or just hide or sneak away and the same goes for hostiles too.

And just have the hostiles follow your trail instead of attacking from the next hex. This may lower the frequency of encounters but will make exploration itself a more involved and risky process, I think.

As for interface, I mean both the inventory screen and attack modes. You could at least use more keyboard shortcuts. For instance, CTRL+Mouse Click to double as consume instead of choosing a consume mode, Shift+Mouse Click to double as move whole-stack instead of toggling it on and off and Alt+Shift+Mouse Click to Auto-Transfer Whole-Stack while in drag-&-drop mode or the same to Drag-&-Drop Whole-Stack while in auto-transfer mode. And how many attack mods can there be? There are two hands for weapons.

Also, some skill to avoid debris falling on you in some places would be a godsent. Right now, it's so very random.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
About save games, they're definitely in the cards, I'm just afraid of choosing the wrong style for the game. Awor links to an ongoing discussion at bluebottlegames.com, and there's plenty of disagreement. I'd welcome any wisdom you guys could bring to bear on the issue, as save games are a big deal, and can drastically change the way the game gets played. In particular, game challenge vs. save-scumming seems to be a tricky balance to strike.
Personally, I think it would remove a lot of the atmosphere of the game. Some people don't like it because getting killed is unpleasant. But the thing is that the constant threat of getting killed, constant threat of death from disease, hunger, thirst, wounds, etc. is what builds the atmosphere of a survival game.
The whole point of semi-realistic treatment of post-apocalypse is to be unpleasant. I think that if they don't like it, maybe My Little Pony or something like that is better for them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom