Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline NEO Scavenger: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival RPG

Mraston

Learned
Is there any way to run away better? Spending 5 minutes clicking disengage and run to try and get away from a rabid dog is starting to get tedious.

Having athletic helps, it gives you the ability to sprint. Trapping gives you Lure which damages enemies and puts them on the floor, giving you a chance to put some distance between you and them. Strength gives you Create Obstacle which can damage and slow down your opponent as well. Keep yourself unburdened so you can run for longer without getting tired. If you can do damage from range that's a good way to slow enemies down even if you can't kill them outright.
Hide your tracks if you escape and hide out of sight, e.g. in a forest.

oscar

Arcane
The mods looked sort of stupid to be honest. Some obviously didn't pay attention to lore either (one major mod adds a fishing skill when a common event mentions that fresh fish is impossible to find what would seem to imply the rivers have been messed up). Also silly combat moves like 'Bicycle Charge'.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Yea, one of the only decent aspects about it is the ability to fold the multitool, which I assume wasn't included for balance. Since I'm not trying to make the game any easier..

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This is one game were mods ACTUALLY make the game worse. They don't actually read the lore, and just add stupid shit.

Avoid at all cost.

oscar

Arcane
Confirming slings are awesome. Took out about four Blue Cultists in a day (must have been near Saginaw Institute) before my pebble supply depleted and one managed to lunge in with a broken bottle straight to my heart while I was trying to fend him off with my spear.

Question about the sash:

Is there any downside to wearing it? Will Detroit guards/Neo Injuns attack on sight for instance if I'm wearing it

Multi-headed Cow

Confirming slings are awesome. Took out about four Blue Cultists in a day (must have been near Saginaw Institute) before my pebble supply depleted and one managed to lunge in with a broken bottle straight to my heart while I was trying to fend him off with my spear.

Question about the sash:

Is there any downside to wearing it? Will Detroit guards/Neo Injuns attack on sight for instance if I'm wearing it
Sash:

Without telling you what it is, there is a possible downside to wearing the sash. DMC guards won't attack on sight and I'm not sure about the injuns since I never wore one while I was around there.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay. that Hidden Lake quest is pure bullshit...:argh:

You are supposed to find a silver urn inside the house. I went in there, but all I could select was moving upwards/downwards. No option to pick up anything. Maybe a bug?
And after going upwards/downwards for a while, you just get killed by a ghost. No chance of fighting it, either. You go in, you die. Wtf?

Is this quest not solvable without a certain skill?
It seems to be part of the "main" quest, so that would be strange.

That just seems really bad design to me. I like how usually dying is the player's fault in this game.
But in this quest, I don't see how I could have made it. If this game was not great otherwise, I would uninstall and never look back.

But then I would miss out on more hilarities like running around for six days with only one shoe, as I keep finding dozens (!!) of left, but not right shoes :lol:

Last edited:

imweasel

You are supposed to find a silver urn inside the house. I went in there, but all I could select was moving upwards/downwards. No option to pick up anything. Maybe a bug?
And after going upwards/downwards for a while, you just get killed by a ghost. No chance of fighting it, either. You go in, you die. Wtf?
I went upstairs and my character picked up and found the urn automatically. I didn't need to explicitly use a special skill to find it either.

Stelcio

Savant
But then I would miss out on more hilarities like running around for six days with only one shoe, as I keep finding dozens (!!) of left, but not right shoes :lol:

I'm sure you can put left shoe on your right foot. It will give you special status "wrong footwear" but you won't be "barefoot" anymore. Unless you didn't put it on on purpose.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, and blisters on foot are FAR worse than just being barefoot.
At least I never had anything bad happen to me due to being barefoot for a day. While having improper footwear causes blisters very fast.

I went upstairs and my character picked up and found the urn automatically. I didn't need to explicitly use a special skill to find it either.
Argh, great, so maybe I just overlooked in the text that I already achieved the quest...

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
The mods looked sort of stupid to be honest. Some obviously didn't pay attention to lore either (one major mod adds a fishing skill when a common event mentions that fresh fish is impossible to find what would seem to imply the rivers have been messed up). Also silly combat moves like 'Bicycle Charge'.

That's an interesting interpretation! One thing I was trying to do in the game was to avoid over-exposition. I didn't want to fall into the "midichlorians" trap, nor did I want to paint myself into a corner by expressly forbidding something I later really wanted to do. (The NEO Scavenger lore is basically designed to let me play with the sci-fi/supernatural toys that I want in some cohesive way.) As such, we have hints and glimpses via headlines, files, and rumors. Sort-of "constellations" with which people can form their own interpretations.

The mass fish deaths were not intended to mean that all fish in the world died, though I could see why that might be how one reads it. Mass animal deaths are actually more common than you'd think, even though we don't always know the cause. However, you're right that they can be disruptive (if not fatal) to local communities.

As for the mods, it's been a while since I've poked around in them. I've spent the most time in Kaaven's mini Mod of Doom, as I find his design sensibilities mirror my own more often than not. He's also been instrumental in balancing designs and suggesting tweaks to the game over the years. In many cases, his mods do things I really wanted to do but didn't have time for. And I think he does a pretty good job of keeping in line with canon. (Also check out his "Fields of Dead" mod, which adds more detail to decomposing bodies.)

Chiko's Extended mod has also been simmering for a good, long time, and is quite popular. He's a veritable whirlwind of activity, creating a prodigious amount of new items, moves, creatures, and other content. Most of his stuff is pretty well in the spirit of the game, too, though it sounds like there may be balance issues based on what you're saying. I think his approach is to throw things in there first, and tweak/cull them later. There are definitely a few silly things among the changes, but for many players, his mod fills several gaps in the vanilla game (e.g. moves, items, and recipes that many expect to be there but aren't).

I haven't had a lot of exposure to the other mods yet, so it's hard for me to comment. Looking at the list of current and WIP mods is pretty impressive, though. People have been busy!

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and mention my take on the lore vs. mods stuff.

Oh! And re: thesheeep 's question about Hidden Lake, no skills are required to complete the quest. If I had to guess, it may be the poor UI at fault. (a.k.a. me) When you receive an item in an encounter, it floats across the screen and you get an "Items" button below the "Confirm" button to indicate loot. It can sometimes be easy to miss, though, and I suspect that's what happened in your case.

Or, you know, it's a bug :) In which case, my bad and let me know!

Perkel

Arcane
Imo your combat system is awesome. It allows text based flexibility and ton of features and yet it isn't complicated to use and UI doesn't suck.
Expanded adds few awesome moves that really fleshes out combat system like throw sand in eyes when on ground. Someone mentioned that bicycle charge is stupid. Imo it is wrong to assume that it is faster than sprinting withdraw or closing to enemy which is logical when you use something like bicycle and gives bonus to weapon damage next turn which also is logical considering you have more speed thus more power.

Lure away is also brilliant for stealthy characters as i usually use it to get close to enemy and sling a rock.

here is full list from expanded mod:

Bite
A new attack move that can only be used by Dogmen. It replaces the move Kick but it's quite similar, just a bit more deadly and does cutting damage instead of bruising damage. Also it has a chance to cause another cutting damage but minor, compared to the main one.

Lure Away
This move will distract the target for 1 turn, making them go investigate the noise and move 1 space away from you.

Taunt
This move will distract you for 1 turn but it will make enemies a bit less likely to fear you. It's like the opposite of the Threaten move but it also affects other enemies because it technically reduces your threat lvl, making you look less of a danger.

Threaten with Torch/Flare
It allows you to scare away creatures that are fearful of fire or bright lights. A very useful tactic that can affect multiple targets and might save your life. It makes you really visible when used but it also has a chance to reveal hidden targets, since you don't need to see the target to be able to use it.

Block
A move that can only be done while having a shield equipped. It makes you easier to hit but it also increases your armor value. It only helps against damage so other effects can still be applied to you, like being suppressed or staggered from a flurry of attacks.

Bicycle Charge/Withdraw
Combat moves that only appear when riding a bicycle. It allows you to close in and retreat faster. Charging with a Bicycle also increases the melee damage for the next turn. Both need you to be at least 5 spaces sway from the target.

A handful for an Eye
This move will improve your odds of survival in a hard situation. Also known as pocket sand, this attack will stun the target and make them retreat 1 space away from you, giving you a precious turn to either escape or attack. It can only be done while fallen and characters with the strong and melee skill are unable to use this move. This move is not always available but unlike most moves, it can be used while recovering.

Grapple
Engages into grappling combat with the target. There's a chance to miss but if you manage to get hold of someone, both will get a new set of moves depending on the role, Grappler/Grappled. Head Butt, Leg Trip, Pull Down, Get Up, All the Surrender moves and Taunt can be used while grappling.

Struggle
This is basically the ability to deal damage while grappling. It's comparable to using fists and can sometimes miss. It will also have a chance to knock off the target's equipped weapons and vehicle. Always available for Grapplers but not always available for Grappled targets.

Knee Strikes
Similar to Melee Surge but can only be done while grappling. Always available for both Grapplers and Grappled. Cannot be used with a broken leg.

Release
This will cause you to push the target away, breaking the hold. There's a chance for the target to get damage, fall and lose a turn. Always available.

Break Free
This is similar to release but is only available for Grappled targets. It affects both the Grappled and Grappler. Both get a chance to get damage, fall and lose a turn. Not always available.

Gain Control
This move is available to Grappled targets only when the Grappler is fallen and vulnerable. It will attempt to switch Grappler/Grappled places, leaving the previously Grappled target with control of the grappling hold.

Takedown
A move only available for Melee skilled Grapplers. It will bring both Grappler and Grappled to the ground, but only causing damage to the later. This move can miss, leaving the Grappler vulnerable and with a chance of falling down alone. Cannot be done if the target has a vehicle equipped.

Throw Down
This move can be used by both the Grappler and the Grappled and it will throw the target down 2-3 spaces away and cause damage. This move will naturally break the grappling hold. Cannot be done if the target has a vehicle equipped.

Hold Back
This move will prevent you and the target from using most moves for 2 turns. It will increase the chance of getting hit even more for the duration of the move so if the Grappler has allies, they will benefit of this. The Grappled target will still have small chances to escape this or to counter attack while being held back.

Strangle
This move is only available for the Grappler. The grappler will attempt a choke hold, which will distract him for a turn and the target will be left having trouble breathing, that means all next moves will be more tiring for 5 turns, this state stacks so multiples choke holds will render the target blacking out/unconscious. If the target is blacking out but still struggling back, the next strangle hold will render them unconscious. If the target is unconscious and the Grappler decides to use the move again, it will strangle the target to death.

Greatness

Cipher
Finally got around to playing this. It's pretty fuckin awesome and despite my first 2 attempts barely surviving long enough to learn how to cook meat I'm really enjoying it. That said it seems kind of directionless in the beginning, more rogue-like than RPG. Are there quests/dialogue/any kind of narrative later on, or is it all just scavenging ruins and trying to survive as long as possible?

Stelcio

Savant
A move that I really miss is "keep on distance". Let's say you have a spear that has a range of 3. The enemy has a weapon of range 1. You could possibly abuse your superior reach to keep the enemy from you, retreating when he charges and simultaneously thrusting him to keep him away from you. Basically playing it safe. Getting hits only if the enemy decides to close the distance. As for now you can't really use the advantage of spear, because once you get at range 3, enemy can jump to you next turn and hit you, which can always end up bad, so it's either fighting on more or less equal terms or simply running away.

Perkel

Arcane
A move that I really miss is "keep on distance". Let's say you have a spear that has a range of 3. The enemy has a weapon of range 1. You could possibly abuse your superior reach to keep the enemy from you, retreating when he charges and simultaneously thrusting him to keep him away from you. Basically playing it safe. Getting hits only if the enemy decides to close the distance. As for now you can't really use the advantage of spear, because once you get at range 3, enemy can jump to you next turn and hit you, which can always end up bad, so it's either fighting on more or less equal terms or simply running away.

but you can totaly do it.

Well spears and such biggest bonus is first strike and logically you wouldn't be able to backpedal with spear as fast as dude who is running towards you and you can't outrun most of animals if you don't have athletic.

Usually what i do is to have that first strike which can stun target and this gives you ability to withdraw to safe distance.
If you won't be so lucky then you need simply to use other means to get to safe distance like parry or dodge which can lead to easy hit and thus stun.
Also charging people have chance to fall which gives you entire two turns to do something from stab and run to stab stab.

Biggest advantage of reach weapons are those free strikes and you need to maximize its ability to do that.

Rember also that fight isn't always about death. Which means that for example in some cases if you wound your enemy you can talk your way out via ceasefire or surrender. So if your enemy is noticeably in pain and you don't know if you can win for 99% just make him surrender or cease fire.

I would love to see more expanded combat like weapon speed which could lead to more attacks for smaller weapons.

Also use ranged weapons. Even it means simple rock. You can throw stone go to inventory get another stone from pocket and still move so if you have like 6 stones some of them are bound to hit and if you by any chance hit head then it will deal massive damage.

People mentioned it but sling is awesome wepon. One big stone to head and it usually it is insta kill got peables and you have like 20 shots before you engage in malee distance.

Last edited:

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I want to emphasize how mind-blowing this game is. I totally savescummed to explore all the lore.

I utterly shat my pants the first time I saw the Merga Wraith. Defeating it in combat was amazing, too

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
The most annoying thing about this game is how badly you can get bodied just from not picking up the wolf pelt at the start of the game. I played several times, desperately scavenging for clothes and shoes before I died from hypothermia. The first time I killed the wolf, I got to Detroit without coming close to dying.

Otherwise great game.

Perkel

Arcane
The most annoying thing about this game is how badly you can get bodied just from not picking up the wolf pelt at the start of the game. I played several times, desperately scavenging for clothes and shoes before I died from hypothermia. The first time I killed the wolf, I got to Detroit without coming close to dying.

Otherwise great game.

Actually after a while it is almost imposible to die out of hypotermia due to fact that if player gets to hypotermia status or close he gets special event from which you get sleeping bag. With it you can go everywhere naked for cost of few turns resting in sleeping bag.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, that car event always came up when you are near frozen without clothes at first time, just hide your tracks and sleep in it for a day. Also if you have tracking you'll get a left shoe from that encounter.

My nemesis in this game is derelict buildings, many times I fell to my slow death either from broken bones or infected wounds. And it always happens when I'm low on medical supplies.
Worst moment was when I was lying on the ground with two legs broken, some basic Mutha came,beating me up slowly with a frying pan... Mind Fryers!

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You should pretty much always take Medic imo. Also looting buildings becomes way better when you have light source )lighter) + crowbar + strength + breathing rag.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
Actually after a while it is almost imposible to die out of hypotermia due to fact that if player gets to hypotermia status or close he gets special event from which you get sleeping bag. With it you can go everywhere naked for cost of few turns resting in sleeping bag.

Oops, I probably shouldn't have taken the insomnia perk lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom