Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline NEO Scavenger: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival RPG

Perkel

Arcane
Oops, I probably shouldn't have taken the insomnia perk lol.

doesn't matter. You just need to put sleeping bag on ground and you can do everything you want.
For example you have place with 6 buildings then you have 6 times in your sleeping bag.

I don't know if it is a bug though. Imo it should waste that part of turn instead of using bag and doing something else at same time

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You should pretty much always take Medic imo. Also looting buildings becomes way better when you have light source )lighter) + crowbar + strength + breathing rag.
That is actually pretty funny.
No matter which forum you visit, you always get a lot of claims like "you have to take skill X, or else...".
And that probably for 50% of the skills ;)

Me, I would say that Mechanic is such a "must have". It just makes scavenging 100% safe (with slightly less success chance, but once you get lighters and a crowbar, it doesn't matter). My character is harmed only in encounters.

Honestly, I think that no skill is mandatory and each combination is possible. Though there are some that will give you a harder time.
For example, my current character has neither Botany, nor Trapping, making finding food VERY rare. And also no Ranged, making hunting almost impossible.
Still, I am at day 12 or so. My tactic is to go scavinging enough to sell, buying loads of food in the mall in DMC and use that while outside, scavenging.
And sometimes, I do get lucky encountering some feral dog.

One design gripe I have is that there is only one way cure to Blue Rot for most characters:
King Elias
... and during the whole encounter, afaik only one path leads to your character getting the cure (which also makes you immune; you even want it when not infected). So choosing that path is a must, as everything else pretty much means certain death due to Blue Rot. Well, 2/3 actually, but who wants to take that chance with an advanced character, seriously?
So, pure neccessity destroys any roleplaying here.
Blue Rot is just too much a certain death condition. And not one that can be protected against reasonably (yes, gas masks work, but you cannot always wear one). Sooner or later, you will meet someone who is infected in a situation where you have no protection and that is it.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
I've never once gotten the Blue Rot or a serious injury from scavenging and I'd say I've sunk at least a good 20 hours into this game.

Perkel

Arcane
It is good that each skill is important. I prefer this way rather than ton of useless skills.

My go to is : hiding, hacking, athletics, lockpicking, electronics and botany

also lately mechanic for its safety boost and few nifty schematics.

oscar

Arcane
I've been enjoying a lot of success lately with: ranged, botany, hiding, athletic, lockpicking and insomnia

- Athletic + slings is a great combo as you can sprint away as melee enemies close. Only problem I could foresee is fast melee foes (Enfields, Dogmen) or humans with firearms. At the very least a successful suppression from a three shot of slings can buy you the space to retreat.

- Botany solves food problems (though I usually feel bad for my character's protein intake if he's living off mushrooms and berries) and selling tannin tea is pretty lucrative

- Sneaky retreat is useful all around for avoiding fights and pursuit

- Insomnia is easily manageable

agris

Arcane
Patron
I beat the game using the easy build of strong, melee, medic, trapping, tracking and tough with myopia, insomnia and metabolism as my negatives. Recognizing how much content i missed by lacking utility skills, I'm trying to advance with a strong, ranged, botany, hacking and mechanics guy, with the same negatives. I like how the build variety and random elements give rise to essentially emergent gameplay. Sure, I've killed this character type a good 10+ times already, but I think I've got it now..

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Hey, that's my pick too.

Survived for 22 days last time and made it to DMC for the second time. Damn guards shot me down - should have known that I can just talk to them.

It seems that going through the center towards the East gives better loot than going straight to DMC. I found lots of ammo and three rifles, among other things.

Is there some way to get the Stout quest without going into Zom-Zom's? On that note, when you eat human flesh just one time, does the Wendigo automatically increase with time? In the end it said something like "Player is ready for Wendigo Lvl 2". Not sure if that means that it will progress to Lvl 2 no matter what or only if more meat is consumed.

granit

Scholar
Just found this game this weekend. Pretty fun! I got bluespotted pneumonia after 22 days, got to stage three infection and thought that would kill me but fate would have it a dogman woke me up from my sleep and ripped out my stomach.

Multi-headed Cow

Hey, that's my pick too.

Survived for 22 days last time and made it to DMC for the second time. Damn guards shot me down - should have known that I can just talk to them.

It seems that going through the center towards the East gives better loot than going straight to DMC. I found lots of ammo and three rifles, among other things.

Is there some way to get the Stout quest without going into Zom-Zom's? On that note, when you eat human flesh just one time, does the Wendigo automatically increase with time? In the end it said something like "Player is ready for Wendigo Lvl 2". Not sure if that means that it will progress to Lvl 2 no matter what or only if more meat is consumed.
Spoiler info:

It only gets worse if you continue to eat human meat, or if it DOES get worse naturally it takes a long ass time to do so as I've never noticed it happen in the few games I end up eating just a little bit of human meat. I think the ready for wendigo level 2 thing is just a trigger for the game.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I still have no idea what the hell

the Wendigo is.

Multi-headed Cow

I still have no idea what the hell

the Wendigo is.
Mythical beasty created by a person being a cannibal. I don't think you get superpowers from it in Neo Scavenger but it makes you kinda nuts.

carlisle-ravenous.png

wjw

Augur
I am selling tree bark tea again.

Current build: Athletics, Ranged, Botany, Electrician, Hacking, Mechanics. (Myopia, Insomnia)
First run without Trapping. Haven't missed it yet. If you find a lighter you can make fire. Fur is not much needed after the start. Trapping animals is way less effective vs. botany.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was just attacked by a dog man at night (despite hiding tracks) and did not have the slightest chance. (no melee or ranged).
I had a nice gun, of course, but it got me while sleeping.

Actually, I was wondering about melee. Combat is so deadly in this game that I don't know if it is useful. Maybe I would have survived the encounter, but so badly hurt that I would have died anyway.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
What else can you use (if you have no Trapping)?

A broken glass bottle + sun will do.

Actually, I was wondering about melee. Combat is so deadly in this game that I don't know if it is useful. Maybe I would have survived the encounter, but so badly hurt that I would have died anyway.

The dogmen are pretty much the deadliest enemy. It seems that a spear made out of a treebranch + glass shard is the best melee weapon in the early game, since it can strike from a range of 3.

To avoid surprises like this during sleep, you can have up to 4 noise traps in your camp. Those are pretty easy to make from a soup can + pebbles + string.

Donaroriak

Augur
Project: Eternity
A broken glass bottle + sun will do.

The dogmen are pretty much the deadliest enemy. It seems that a spear made out of a treebranch + glass shard is the best melee weapon in the early game, since it can strike from a range of 3.

To avoid surprises like this during sleep, you can have up to 4 noise traps in your camp. Those are pretty easy to make from a soup can + pebbles + string.
You can even replace the soup can with any bottle... The graphic is misleading

M0RBUS

Augur
I bought the game 10 days ago. Since then, I've logged almost 60 hours of gameplay, and the game is spent. WELL spent! Best fun I've had in a game since... Well, since Wasteland 2 if I'm honest, but this little 15€ game is one of my all time favorites for sure!

Unfortunately, once you do everything and kill like 50 different characters, most of them in the first hour of gameplay, it kind of starts to lose its appeal. It's still fun to play, for sure, and I can't complain. I can only feel joy to know that I've spent all those hours of fun and challenge in this absolute master piece. Great times and much incline.

And thanks SplatterCat for the awesome LP on youtube. Go check it out. He's definitely not a min-maxer (I am), but he's a very good LPer in my opinion.

sgm

Educated
Thank you once again Codex for making me aware of another awesome game. I can't stop playing this damn thing! I finally manage to keep my character alive for a significant amount of time, even though I became nearly crippled with blisters. I couldn't find proper footwear and it got so bad I had a -10 movement penalty. I was lucky because I found a cabin in the woods that was a decent shelter and there was even a water supply. So I was basically stuck there for days purifying water and trying to survive off of any game I could take down. Finally killed a wandering human who tried to loot my camp and scored a decent shoe. Blisters were gone in a day or so and now I'm on my way. So happy to kiss that camp goodbye!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom