Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need help on what to play

xTensai

Literate
Hello guys, i am sorry for starting this thread but i really want to play some futuristic rpg but i can't find one. I played Deus Ex series and really liked it, played ME series but didn't really like it and i enjoyed system shock 2. So can you recommend me some ?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Try Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun Dragonfall (DF is better).

You may also give EYE: Divine Cybermancy a shot.

If desperate, there is also Mars: War Logs, but if you did not like ME, there is a slim chance you will like this.

EDIT: also Anachronox (JRPG) is a classic and Cyber Knights and Cyber Lords are cyberpunk Android RPGs (they are quite different to each other, though, Cyber Lords is not very good).

EDIT 2: typos

Last edited:

xTensai

Literate

You may also give EYE: Divine Cybermancy a Shot.

If desperate, there is also Mars: War Logs, but if you did not like ME, there is a slim chance you will like this.

EDIT: also Anachronox (JRPG) is a classic and Cyber Knights and Cyber Lords are cyberpunk Android RPGs (they are quite different to each other, thiugh, Cyber Lords is not very good).

I forgot about Shadowrun series, i played both of those and really liked them. I will try out EYE and Anachronox, thanks

xTensai

Literate
Alpha Protocol.
Or maybe Anachronox, but thats quite different to the titles you mentioned in terms of gameplay.

I wanted to play Alpha Protocol but my friend said that it is unplayable because of bugs, is that true ? Thanks.
Guys I want to play RPGs so let me tell you about all these shooters i tried. :troll:

Anachronox

Hahaha, true :)
Will try it out first since everyone is recommending it, thanks.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wanted to play Alpha Protocol but my friend said that it is unplayable because of bugs, is that true ? Thanks.
I didn't play it when it was released, but years later. Apart from the clunky controls I didn't encounter any major bugs.
Didn't finish it, though.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you don't mind older games you could also try:

- Starflight (never played but it's considered a classic, altho it's not a pure rpg but more of a genre mix instead). There's the original Starflight 1 + 2 on GoG or this remake thing here which also supposed to be pretty good.
- The Buck Rogers games in the Gold Box engine, there's also a version for Sega Mega Drive / Genesis which plays a bit different
- Albion has some Sci-Fi elements in it and is generally a really good game
- Whales Voyage 1 & 2 which include space travel, trading, and sci-fi dungeons
- Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams which is obviously Ultima VI on Mars (in the 1890s)

xTensai

Literate
I didn't play it when it was released, but years later. Apart from the clunky controls I didn't encounter any major bugs.
Didn't finish it, though.

Will try it out then, thank you.

If you don't mind older games you could also try:

- Starflight (never played but it's considered a classic, altho it's not a pure rpg but more of a genre mix instead). There's the original Starflight 1 + 2 on GoG or this remake thing here which also supposed to be pretty good.
- The Buck Rogers games in the Gold Box engine, there's also a version for Sega Mega Drive / Genesis which plays a bit different
- Whales Voyage 1 & 2 which include space travel, trading, and sci-fi dungeons
- Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams which is obviously Ultima VI on Mars (in the 1890s)

I don't, thanks, i have quite many games to check out now.

Thank you everyone.

Ladonna

Arcane
This thread made me realise just how few futuristic/sci-fi RPGs there are. It really is pathetic.

People are forgetting Wasteland 1 and 2. Fallout 1 and 2. Unless these are not classified as 'Sci-fi' or 'futuristic'?

I would like to add an old favourite of mine that I have been wishing a remake for ever since; Space Rogue http://www.mobygames.com/game/space-rogue

This game combines real space travel/space combat with top down RPG gaming when landed on locations. It is quite simplistic, but there is enough to keep you going until the end, and the possibility to run as a Merchant/Pirate/Bounty Hunter choice. Made by baby Paul Neurath actually. I have never been able to understand why this formula has not been replicated. Can anybody NOT get excited by the chance at a decent space sim coupled with a full Top down/Iso RPG when landed on world/asteroids/bases? Blows my mind thinking about the possibilities and why it hasn't been done.

There are also the two megatraveller games. They are doable, but nothing overly special.

Then you have Hard Nova and Sentinel worlds. Again, nothing overly special.

uh...Fallout 3 and New Vegas...I guess.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you want something post-apocalyptic The Fall: Last Days of Gaia would be an option too. It was only released in German and was very buggy for quite a while but today there are an English translation mod and a large patch that fixes most issues.

It's RTwP but the RPG progression curve was quite solid if I remember correctly. I even played through it back in the day which is something I don't do with many games. Usually when I start a game I lose interest as soon as I have figured out the mechanics and how to cheese.
You can repair vehicles and drive around with them ... the controls for that part were atricious though. ^^

Last edited:
Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
It's worth mentioning that it got ported to windows recently:
http://albion-hra.wz.cz/?page=clanek4
Fukka u, Mars: War Logs is a much better game than any of the Mass Effects. :mad:
Nope, the mouse control is crap and one mission has its C&C reversed but other than that I had no issues. It's a fine game, one of Obsidian's best efforts to date. Speaking of which, KOTOR 2 might not really be science fiction or all that futuristic but it's an p. good RPG if you haven't already played it.

My top recomendation would be System Shock if you haven't already tried it, it's a much better game than the second one. Second tier would be Starflight, EYE and Dragonfall depending on your tolerance for old or quirky games. Alpha Protocol/KOTOR 2, War Logs and Anachronox are good if you're a storyfag or a popamoler.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
If you played Deus Ex then play all mods and fan missions for it.

For The Fall Last Days of Gaia you need German version called Reloaded (v1.10) and then grab english translation from NMA.

Other title? The Precursors?

Mustawd

If you played Deus Ex then play all mods and fan missions for it.

For The Fall Last Days of Gaia you need German version called Reloaded (v1.10) and then grab english translation from NMA.

Other title? The Precursors?

GMDX is a mod by a codexer (CyberP). I'd recommend that one as well.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Planet Alcatraz. ERYFKRAD called it futuristic some time ago, and he actually likes it a lot. Give it a shot, then tell us what do you think of ERYFKRAD.
You should know better, you're the Vatnik.

Edit: Also lol, Planet Alcatraz becomes futuristic only in the last phase of the game. And lol at likes it a lot. I had fun with it though. Reminds me, I should probably fire it up again.

TNOchan

Novice
Space Rangers?
Also Antaeus Rising - the other game besides Deus Ex i think about when hear the word nanomachines. It's not really an RPG, but has some good tactics and the atmosphere/immersion is outstanding, though you got to be prepared for some 2001 graphics and quirky controls. Good for that Sci-Fi itch.
Sorry for nostalgia attack.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Edit: Also lol, Planet Alcatraz becomes futuristic only in the last phase of the game. And lol at likes it a lot. I had fun with it though. Reminds me, I should probably fire it up again.

qkdwpc.jpg

You should know better, you're the Vatnik.

You call that an insult? I'm not even mad.

I WILL FUKEN KILL YOU, I SWEAR
:x

You may also give EYE: Divine Cybermancy a shot.

EDIT: also Anachronox (JRPG) is a classic and Cyber Knights and Cyber Lords are cyberpunk Android RPGs (they are quite different to each other, though, Cyber Lords is not very good).

EDIT 2: typos

I second both Shadowrun and E.Y.E.

xTensai

Literate
Thank you guys, at one point i am going to try all of these, i started to play Anachronox and so far i really like it, it is actually quite funny. Oh and yes i played through all Fallouts, and both Wasteland games but i don't think of them as futuristic but more like an after apocalypse games. Again thank you for all the recommendations.

TripJack

Hedonist
kotor isnt futuristic it says right in the intro that it all happened a long time ago

also kotor is shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom