Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need good recent popamole shoota

The last games of this genre that delivered enjoment were Bullestorm (only proper modern fpp shooter) and Binary Domain (only proper tpp cover-based shooter, save for Vanquish - haven't played it yet and won't do until I buy last-gen console). Since then, has anything valuable been releasead by now? I mean the game with good shooting mechanics, lack of unnecasseary pathos, game where killing is just fun despite of regen health, lack of jump button, waifu companion, cinemashitness, screwed mouse support, overused eye-raping lens flare, QTE's etc.

In a nutshell - recommend some fresh piece of post-2011 popamole that is playable for people who consider late 90' as epitome of gaming.

Angthoron

Arcane
Try RoTT remake? It has jump button though. Does have issues, you can see it's not a AAA game, but it's still fairly good fun for a while. For the reference, enjoyed both Bulletstorm and BD a fair bit. Maybe Hard Reset, too, though it has some flarin' lenses. Same studio as nu-RoTT I believe.

I mean the game with good shooting mechanics, lack of unnecasseary pathos, game where killing is just fun despite of regen health, lack of jump button, waifu companion, cinemashitness, screwed mouse support, overused eye-raping lens flare, QTE's etc.

You mean a game that is good despite those factors, or that doesn't have them at all? If the latter, no such game exists post-2011 outside crappy indies like Tower of Guns.

Despite, I can for for a compromise beacuse I know that action games in vein of MDK or Quake are forever lost so waiting for their pure equivalent is simply hopelss.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Warhammer 40k Space Marine is pretty fun in single player. Never played multiplayer so I can't comment on it.

buzz

Arcane
Max Payne 3
Deus Ex Human Revolutions
Dishonored
Transformers War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron
Oh, an I think Serious Sam 3 is also post 2011.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
E.Y.E. - Divine Cybermancy
Alien Rage Unlimited
Serious Sam 3
Spec Ops - The Line
Metro - Last Light Complete/Redux, and Metro 2033 Redux if you want pay more for almost nothing.

And bunch of mods for STALKERs... :M

And Space Marine once again. Kinda suprised SJW didn't bothered to use one of the female character from here to make "how to make best female characters in vidya gaems ever" things...

Astral Rag

Arcane
Maybe Hard Reset, too, though it has some flarin' lenses. Same studio as nu-RoTT I believe.

Interceptor is responsible for RoTT 2013, Flying Wild Hog made Hard Reset.

RoTT 2013 is one of the worst FPS I ever played and I played Operation Body Count and Depth Dwellers.

I did enjoy Hard Reset, it's not the greatest FPS ever made but it has fairly solid gunplay, some fun weapons and it looks and sounds good.

Sadly this is pretty much an arena shooter (some of the HR devs previously worked on painkiller IIRC) so the levels are linear and boring. There are secrets but most are very easy to "find": shoot huge fluorescent pipe above semi broken wall, "discover" secret room.

There is no quicksaving/quickloading and checkpoints can be few and far between, fortunately this can be fixed with a console command.

FWH also released a pretty good free expansion pack for HR.

I also enjoyed EYE and the Serious Sam 1 and 2 remakes, not sure why SS3 turned out the way it did.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Speaking about flying pig.... they released Shadow Warrior 2013, thing is - shooting here is boring while slashing is gut.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Avoid everything by flying wild hog.

Shadow Warrior 2013 and Hard Reset aren't even popamole per se. They are just terrible shovelware.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Dead Space 1 and 2, Call of Juarez Gunslinger, RAGE, Space Marine, Metro: Last Light, and The Darkness II.

I might also recommend the Metro 2033 redux when it comes out, as I liked 2033 a lot, but I'm waiting to see how much they polish its very noticeable flaws.

I also enjoyed the gunplay in Borderlands 2, especially because the revolvers are so fucking satisfying, but it has the absolutely most annoying dialogue in any game I've ever played. I wonder if there is a mod that just removes all the voice acting. You can turn down the VO volume, but that mutes enemy sounds too, and the music/sfx volume lowers whenever a character is supposed to be saying something, which is also pretty annoying.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Singleplayer/Co-op: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy (great), ArmA 2 with expansions (very good, but mixed campaigns), Metro 2033 (okay on ranger hard)

Multiplayer TDM: Natural Selection 2 (great), Red Orchestra 2 (very good)

mastroego

Arcane
Thanks for the thread, I might be interested as well.

Every SINGLE shooter I've tried over the years I've got bored with in the span of 2-4 levels.
Every SINGLE one except Half-Life and its sequels.
Don't know if it's me or something fundamentally not good enough with those other shooters.

Well I've played Dead Space 1&2 too but I think those should be filed under "survival horror"

sser

Arcane
Developer
All the best shoot 'em up games are multiplayer. Payday, Red Orchestra, and Natural Selection.

I honestly can't think of any recent singleplayer shooting games that I walked away from feeling like they were really good. Most of them are just kinda 'alright' and have already been suggested.

IMO, Stranglehold is pretty underrated and if you liked the combo-shooting of other games you'd probably like it. Gameplay-wise, I thought it was a better Max Payne than Max Payne 3. Of course, the game is kinda old now and wasn't exactly a looker when it came out, either. Dunno if that bothers you. Wet was kinda similar with the combo stuff and was passable for a cheap romp. The last Dead to Rights was also passable, but extremely generic.

sbb

Learned
Honestly, Syndicate. Really nice gunplay and I think it's actually really pretty, despite the (admittedly justified) criticism.

Last edited:

Nuclear Explosion

Bioshock Infinite is good if you want to play around with the powers. I enjoyed it for the storeh though.
:what:
I happen to be playing though that right now, the gunplay and ~firefights~ are pretty enjoyable, though Elizabeth showering you in resources you conveniently need right at that moment does hamper it significantly.
I thought the gunplay was lackluster and the AI was poor. Not to mention the awful level design.

Last edited by a moderator:

sbb

Learned
Bioshock Infinite is good if you want to play around with the powers. I enjoyed it for the storeh though.
:what:
I happen to be playing though that right now, the gunplay and ~firefights~ are pretty enjoyable, though Elizabeth showering you in resources you conveniently need right at that moment does hamper it significantly.
I thought the gunplay was lackluster and the AI was poor.Not to mention the awful level design.
Yeah the AI is seriously terrible, but I'm surprised by how often I'm in danger of dying (or maybe I just suck). The special enemies, like the robot Washingtons and the raven guys really fuck me up. Agreed about the level design, too - I really need that navigation arrow sometimes, especially when the sky rails get involved. That's a shitty solution to the problem though

Tehdagah

Arcane
Alien Rage Unlimited

So has City Interactive finally released a good game?

Both Bioshocks I've finished (1&Infinishite) are exactly opposite to what I seek -> they have terrible shooting mechanics.

I've finished almost 3 years ago and forgot about it but yes... excellent, satysfying gunplay was its strongest part.

I did enjoy Hard Reset, it's not the greatest FPS ever made but it has fairly solid gunplay, some fun weapons and it looks and sounds good.

Game lacked content, almost no variety in robots enemies, same thing with weapons, shit level design and despite being so short, player can easily squize out everything it has to offer by finishing demo (which lasts... around 15 minutes?).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom