Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Necropolis, a procedurally generated "diabolical dungeon delve" from Harebrained Schemes

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Remember this? http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...t-version-released.90165/page-54#post-3522355

Well, now we know what that is:

necropolis_logo.png

A Diabolical Dungeon Delve.

http://necropolisgame.com/
http://necropolisgame.com/presskit/

Welcome to Necropolis - a game of brutal combat and survival, set in a magical deathtrap that shifts and reconstructs itself around you. Will you find the exit, or die trying?*

*SPOILERS: You'll probably die trying.

The archmage Abraxis took his secrets to the grave.
There, in the depths of a huge complex constructed by magic, lies the greatest collection of magical items and treasure that the world has ever known. After all his conquests and victories, Abraxis retreated to his Necropolis to work his magic, in darkness far removed from the rest of civilization.

The mazes and corridors of the Necropolis shift and change at the whim of the Brazen Head, a magical intelligence created by the archmage. Part butler, part taskmaster and part tormentor, the Brazen Head mocks, goads and pushes adventurers deeper and deeper into Abraxis' domain.

This is because, unlike most tombs, the Necropolis invites adventurers in; it needs them. Those who die within its walls feed the magic that powers the shrine. It is a trap, a self-perpetuating machine feeding on souls. Dead adventurers spirits turn arcane wheels, and their corpses are repurposed as Automatons; magical marionettes that prowl the corridors searching for intruders.

And the Necropolis is much, much bigger on the inside than the outside. Oh, and it shifts and changes at the whim of the Brazen Head. And it’s filled with Abraxis’ greatest enemies, and every monster ever encountered during his adventures. Did we not mention that?

Thousands have entered the Necropolis. Legend says, somewhere inside, undead and immortal, Abraxis presides on an onyx throne. In ten centuries, only one adventurer has escaped, and I’m afraid he emerged quite mad. But you... I’m sure you’ll make it out just fine. You seem like the adventurous type.

Features
  • AN ADDICTIVE THIRD-PERSON COMBAT SYSTEM. At its core, Necropolis is an action game. Unlike other popular Roguelikes, Necropolis features a combat system based on timing and animation. It’s fast and deadly - learn to anticipate enemy attack patterns, time your actions for maximum effect, and use smart combinations of heavy and light attacks to defeat your enemies. You can’t just button-mash and win.
  • AN EVER-CHANGING DUNGEON. Every playthrough offers new threats, room layouts, magic items and more. The system is designed to shift and change, even as the adventurer moves through it, and there are areas that allow the player to change modify or “reroll” their current layout.
  • SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST. Collect components to create magic potions, and locate mystical books to upgrade your adventurer with runes and spells. The Necropolis is a living labyrinth filled with mystery and wonder; can you unlock all its secrets?
  • A LIVING ECOLOGY OF THREATS. Monsters interrelate in the Necropolis. Learn to exploit a Monster’s favorite food, or least favorite predator.
  • SELF-AWARE DARK COMEDY. Necropolis comes with a liberal sprinkling of dark humor, playing specifically on the tropes of early 1980’s D&D. Think Cabin in the Woods meets a Roguelike.
  • STYLISH VISUAL DESIGN. The world of Necropolis is one not quite like any other. Necropolis features a dark, low-poly aesthetic full of strange shapes, funky colors and unexpected constructions.

Release date:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/11/06/shadowrun-return-devs-return-with-necropolis/

Shadowrun Return Devs Return With Necropolis

‘Necropolis’ is a word which is surprisingly meaningful to me. This is because I was raised in the city of dead, sent out into the wretched world of the living to spread decay and despair. And also because Necropolis was the first-ever Judge Dredd story I read (in fact I came in halfway through) and my tiny mind was blown by the discovery that comics could be so bleak and sinister and amoral and, well, grown-up. The X-Men, my staple diet until then, suddenly looked like clowns.

…Must resist the urge to just bang on about Judge Dredd for three thousand words. Today I was startled to see the word ‘Necropolis’ pop up in a brand new context, that being a “brutal” dungeoneering game from the makers of Shadowrun Returns.

Shadowrun Returns expansion pack, later rejiggered as a standalone director’s cut, Dragonfall, was great, so I’m dead interested in what dev Harebrained Schemes get up to next. That said, apparently Necropolis is “set in a magical deathtrap that shifts and reconstructs itself around you”, but I already spent three years of my life in Swansea and I’m not convinced I want to go back.

What Necropolis is most leaning on – other than its very much in-vogue art style – is a fast, timing-based combat system that’s heavy on the animations and attack patterns. Very much not roguelike combat, in other words.

Procedurally-generated levels are inevitably included, but the twist here is that a dungeon will do the Dark City thing around you, and there’ll be player abilities to deliberately alter the layout. Also monsters have their own prey and predators, which can be exploited in some way.

There’s also a promise of ‘self-aware dark humour’ which satirises early D&D tropes. You gotta be careful with that stuff, but there was some sharp writing in Dragonfall so I won’t be too wary at this stage.

No videos as yet, and we won’t be seeing a finished version until 2016 (though I’d place a small wager on Early Access next year), but there’s an official website with a fancy-pants introduction here and a devblog to follow here. Here’s a mini Pyramid Head to look at in the meantime too:

necro2.jpg

http://necropolisgame.tumblr.com/

NECROPOLIS

Welcome to Necropolis - a game of brutal combat and survival, set in a magical deathtrap that shifts and reconstructs itself around you. Will you find the exit, or die trying?*

*SPOILERS: You'll probably die trying.

necropolisgame.com
WEBSITE
TWITTER
PRESSKIT
HAREBRAINED
ARCHIVE

Hey, I’m Doug Magruder, animator for Necropolis! And I gotta say: OMFG the Blackguard is freaking RediculiTasticly-Awesome to work on. He’s all like twitchPEW fast but he has this cloth that is all swooshy and overlaptastic (he says, gesticulating excitedly, as he so often does). Its like that guy from Journey and PoP:Sands of Time smashed together with a grip of other influences, then mixed up, and spat out all over the place. Its fun as hell to work on, seriously ridiculously fun. Hollie Mengert (my co-monster-Necro-animator) and I have been having a blast working on these characters and will constantly be tossing animations out of all sorts of new creatures for your consumption so check ‘em out!

Necropolis Teaser Art

Hey all! I’m Mike McCain, art director for NECROPOLIS. After wrapping production on Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director’s Cut back in September I dove right into the dark world of Necropolis. It’s been my job with the rest of the art team to hone in on a fun new visual style for Necropolis. Most recently, that’s meant working on the new Necropolis teaser website to give y’all a first peek at the world and the game. For anyone who’s interested, here’s a wallpaper version of the key art from the website!

1920 x 1200 | 1920 x 1080 | 1600 x 1200

That’s all for now, but I can’t wait to show everyone more of the awesome art we’ve been cookin’ up.

Welcome, Adventurer.
Hi, I’m Dennis Detwiller, design director on NECROPOLIS. Why this project you may ask? That’s an easy question to answer. I’ve always wanted an ever-shifting deadly dungeon haunted by magical creatures, controlled by a mystical intelligence. I mean, at the end of the day, who wouldn’t want that? I mean, duh…right?

Anyway, I’m the guy in charge of coming up with all the things out to kill your adventurer in the dungeon, along with all the weapons, armor, treasure, potions and magic items hidden throughout its levels. I’m excited to bring the ever-shifting labyrinth of Abraxis the archmage to life, and can’t wait until it’s ready to start consuming unwary adventurers. We at Harebrained Schemes are looking to be as open as possible during our development, so poke around here to look for updates every week or so. Enjoy!

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Looks interesting. I like the setting and tone they seem to have chosen. Not to mention the art. Plus, hey, they did deliver with Dragonfall. Let's see what this turns into.

dryan

Arcane
Features
AN ADDICTIVE THIRD-PERSON COMBAT SYSTEM. At its core, Necropolis is an action game. Unlike other popular Roguelikes, Necropolis features a combat system based on timing and animation.

Not feeling optimistic about this.

Athelas

Arcane
SELF-AWARE DARK COMEDY. Necropolis comes with a liberal sprinkling of dark humor, playing specifically on the tropes of early 1980’s D&D. Think Cabin in the Woods meets a Roguelike.
:hmmm:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
so a darker roguelike zelda? could be interesting, though i'd prefer more actual rpgs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
We've had plenty of actual rpgs. Now it's time for the rogue-likes and arpgs.

Epsilon

Cipher
I don't care for that running animation. The anime inspiration is too evident.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Concept sounds neat.. Although Spire from Dustbusters devs looks like it'll scratch that itch for me more.

haraw

Educated
Actually, sounds very interesting but looks like shit.

Doma

Augur
Game might be fun, just wish we didnt have to trade Shadowrun for it..

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
This isn't a new campaign for Shadowrun Returns...
:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom