Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Necessary technical prep for New Vegas

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I have set general xp gain to 66% and to 50% to the rest, seems to pretty good so far.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Project Nevada makes far too many sweeping changes, configuration options or no, and I don't trust it.

Anyway, my main problem is enemy spam more so than XP gain, though it's a moot point in Honest Hearts, because I'm about to genocide the White Legs (the only correct decision) and skedaddle. I do tend to think that an XP rate allowing one to reach level 50 only once you've finished just about everything (or close to it) would be in order. If there's a simple mod to reduce XP gain a bit, I may give a try.

In general I'm not a fan of crippled gnat-to-Super Saiyan leveling systems precisely because of these sorts of issues, but that's a cancer that took hold of even tabletop RPGs decades ago. I was born to suffer, it seems.

Piotrovitz

Savant
You can use project nevada solely for the xp modifier, everything else can be set to vanilla settings.

Not to mention some of the ease of use features, like hotkeys for throwing granades etc

Trashos

Arcane
The 50 level cap is decline anyway. I even disagree with JSawyer's 35 level cap, and believe it should have remained 30. But even with the JSawyer (which reworks character progression, and the Ultimate edition also reworks XP gains) I find that I level up too quickly in OWB. I don't have issues with the other dlc though, certainly not with Honest Hearts & Dead Money, where I usually gain ~3 levels in each (which sounds about right to me).

I'm about to genocide the White Legs (the only correct decision)

Agreed. I liked the dilemma, but I also believe that it only has one correct answer.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The 50 level cap is decline anyway. I even disagree with JSawyer's 35 level cap, and believe it should have remained 30. But even with the JSawyer (which reworks character progression, and the Ultimate edition also reworks XP gains) I find that I level up too quickly in OWB. I don't have issues with the other dlc though, certainly not with Honest Hearts & Dead Money, where I usually gain ~3 levels in each (which sounds about right to me).

I'm about to genocide the White Legs (the only correct decision)

Agreed. I liked the dilemma, but I also believe that it only has one correct answer.
There shouldn't be any cap,reaching level 30 half way trough the game kills the drive. It is an rpg,everyone wants to see the next level sparkle on the screen and let you better yourself. Level caps are total shit in any game,there is no sealing to growth.

50 levels are perfect number for completing NV,i get it around the time i have to go and kill some democratic scum and larping barbarians on my dam!

Trashos

Arcane
There shouldn't be any cap,reaching level 30 half way trough the game kills the drive. It is an rpg,everyone wants to see the next level sparkle on the screen and let you better yourself. Level caps are total shit in any game,there is no sealing to growth.

The point is that the final level should be reached towards the end of the game in all cases. For example, the JSawyer mod reworks level progression and I reach 35 (the cap) within Lonesome Road, which is the last thing I do before Hoover Dam.

I do not agree with eternal leveling up, unless the game can be reasonably balanced with it. In my view, New Vegas already has issues for levels >25, and greatly suffers >30. Also, where is the excitement of leveling up, if there is nowhere to invest skill points in anymore. You just become a powerhouse and steamroll everything without much challenge. I do not like that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

The point is that the final level should be reached towards the end of the game in all cases. For example, the JSawyer mod reworks level progression and I reach 35 (the cap) within Lonesome Road, which is the last thing I do before Hoover Dam.

I do not agree with eternal leveling up, unless the game can be reasonably balanced with it. In my view, New Vegas already has issues for levels >25, and greatly suffers >30. Also, where is the excitement of leveling up, if there is nowhere to invest skill points in anymore. You just become a powerhouse and steamroll everything without much challenge. I do not like that.
I do like steamrolling if it is earned. I dislike game where every battle is challenge and your levelling is just to keep up. I am ok with a soft cap,where it is hard to get the exp to level up. Do you know how many legion assassins i had to run from before i became a killing machine ???

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
My loading times (first start only) suddenly went from 2 seconds to 20 seconds on an SSD. Anyone know anything about that? No mods or .ini changes in the interim.

I can only suppose it's due to save file size, and I should probably be grateful loading time is the only problem I'm experiencing, but this is in league for the longest loading time I've experienced since I switched to SSDs. Fucking incredible.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I must have forgotten how clown-car the DLCs for New Vegas are. I should have brought a whole lot more ammo with me, because fuck me, you're required to mow them down by the dozens... in OWB in particular, enemies don't show up on radar until they're 75 yards away even with 8 PER, and they can detect you from 100 yards away with 90+ Sneak and Silent Running. That, I do remember from my last playthrough.

Not pictured here are two offscreen dead enemies. There were so fucking many (that ran from across the map to join in) that they're stacked on top of each other. :lol:

22380_20180212180601_rdspr.png

PorkBarrellGuy

>survivalist's rifle
Noice, though going "true iron sights" with it is mildly annoying due to the front sight. Not sure if that was done deliberately or not. Cowboy repeater's sights are kind of screwy too

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
>survivalist's rifle
Noice, though going "true iron sights" with it is mildly annoying due to the front sight. Not sure if that was done deliberately or not. Cowboy repeater's sights are kind of screwy too

I have the Grunt perk, so its damage is pretty impressive for a solidly mid-tier carbine. I'm 100% sure the sights are intentional: It's supposed to be an old, beat-up weapon. It has a lot of spread, too, even for a carbine vs. a long rifle.

I use true iron sights. You just have to use the tip of the right-hand prong as a single iron sight.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
On my current playthrough I'm using cowboy perk and cowboy weapons. Not sure how efficient they are compared to some others, such as automatic weapons though. Combined with shotgun perks it should be good enough though.

Trashos

Arcane
I must have forgotten how clown-car the DLCs for New Vegas are. I should have brought a whole lot more ammo with me, because fuck me, you're required to mow them down by the dozens... in OWB in particular, enemies don't show up on radar until they're 75 yards away even with 8 PER, and they can detect you from 100 yards away with 90+ Sneak and Silent Running. That, I do remember from my last playthrough.

Not pictured here are two offscreen dead enemies. There were so fucking many (that ran from across the map to join in) that they're stacked on top of each other. :lol:

Agreed. And on top of all that, in OWB enemies respawn almost immediately (daily?). As much as I like OWB, it looks like some subpar decisions were made in order to make it longer.

On my current playthrough I'm using cowboy perk and cowboy weapons. Not sure how efficient they are compared to some others, such as automatic weapons though. Combined with shotgun perks it should be good enough though.

They are all good, you just sometimes have to build your character accordingly (depending on your settings). I prefer Cowboy guns when I feel like using pistols, and they are very enduring too. It is probably worth it to invest in high Agility and Rapid Reload with them.

But my favorite rifle is the Survivalist one as well, Grunt perk or not. In terms of shotguns, the best one (Riot) is not in either perk.

Master

Arbiter
What does it matter if they dont show up on the radar when you(the player) can see them anyway. Just one of many retardations of neofallouts. So if you don't want Perception to be a dump stat i suggest lowering npc viewdistance to MINIMUM. Unless you're an immersionfag and can't stand NPCs popin in and out if view.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
What does it matter if they dont show up on the radar when you(the player) can see them anyway.

I generally can, unless I'm crouched and sneaking and there's a pipe, small hill, crate, vehicle, or other thing in the way, which is very often the case in Big MT. It's not a huge problem, but almost the sole purpose of PER in this game is the radar (obviated anyway if ED-E is in the party), and combined with the enemies' apparently perfect PER scores it greatly reduces the value of sneaking in OWB Bethesda's retarded implementation of sneaking mechanics.

Just one of many retardations of neofallouts.

Maybe, but then again nuFallout games are 3D, and in this shit game engine you generally can't hear enemies from more than 20 feet away. PER radar could be seen as an abstraction of keen hearing, tracking ability, even scent. Well, it would if it worked worth a damn, anyway.

PorkBarrellGuy

They are all good, you just sometimes have to build your character accordingly (depending on your settings). I prefer Cowboy guns when I feel like using pistols, and they are very enduring too. It is probably worth it to invest in high Agility and Rapid Reload with them.

Rapid Reload is a godsend with lever-guns and .357 revolvers like Lucky, I find the .44 revolvers are a bit speedier on reload (the Courier uses what seems to be a speed loader for it). Honestly, the best Cowboy gun you can get is probably Medicine Stick, which will take down deathclaws fairly easily with Hand Loader ammo, though Mysterious Magnum with HL ammo is pretty darn good too. (I usually let Raul use the Mysterious Magnum if I'm taking followers though)

But my favorite rifle is the Survivalist one as well, Grunt perk or not. In terms of shotguns, the best one (Riot) is not in either perk.

Shotgun builds require their own set of particular perks in order to hold up past midgame anyway, as shotguns have a huge issue defeating enemy armor/DT. Riot shotgun is nice but rare outside of Gun Runners. The lever-action shotgun feels a bit anemic past midgame even with Hand Loader ammo in it because it's 20ga and 20ga is kind of garbage, but Cowboy helps it a bit. Lever shotgun is worth having around on a Cowboy build simply because of pulse slugs, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Master

Arbiter
What does it matter if they dont show up on the radar when you(the player) can see them anyway.

I generally can, unless I'm crouched and sneaking and there's a pipe, small hill, crate, vehicle, or other thing in the way, which is very often the case in Big MT. It's not a huge problem, but almost the sole purpose of PER in this game is the radar (obviated anyway if ED-E is in the party), and combined with the enemies' apparently perfect PER scores it greatly reduces the value of sneaking in OWB Bethesda's retarded implementation of sneaking mechanics.

Just one of many retardations of neofallouts.

Maybe, but then again nuFallout games are 3D, and in this shit game engine you generally can't hear enemies from more than 20 feet away. PER radar could be seen as an abstraction of keen hearing, tracking ability, even scent. Well, it would if it worked worth a damn, anyway.
The only way it can work is if you lower viewdistance. And afaik PE doesn't take enemy distance into account at all, it just adds enemy ticks per point. There was a mod that did this, and if combined with low viewdistance it made PE double as the old outdorsman skill and effectively "faked" overworld encounters from the old games. Not the most elegant solution but I don't see any other way.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: It finally rained in Zion after I'd finished the campaign. Perhaps the sky was crying for the White Legs? Genocide is the only sane solution to that quest. Maybe the lack of rain during the DLC was a lotto-winning RNG coincidence.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Honestly, the best Cowboy gun you can get is probably Medicine Stick...

"Probably"? That's a good joke. That gun does, what, 125+ damage per shot with max skill, Cowboy, and hand-loaded ammo? Wew lad.

I always end up taking Grunt, though, because I like the Survivalist Rifle and The All-American. It's also good for A Light Shining in Darkness, generic .45 Auto, and turns the .45 Auto SMG into a powerhouse. Not only that, it increases Grenade Launcher and Grenade Rifle damage, so if you have that 3x/+60% damage Explosives perk, Heave-Ho! (which affects Explosives guns), and Splash Damage... well, the range, AoE, and damage output are beyond absurd.

The Ratslayer remains my overall favorite gun in the game though, because it's great for clearing any enemy that isn't heavily armored or particularly badass using only cheapass ammo. It's easy to get perma- or near-perma crits with it, and if you have Better Criticals, it deals almost as much damage as a full-sized sniper rifle's non-crits.

Trashos

Arcane
Riot shotgun is nice but rare outside of Gun Runners.

Correct, but kind of a moot point, since you can always get one relatively fast:
A guard in Gomorrah carries it. Go up where the bosses' offices are, then down towards the treasury. Put a sneak critical on the guard's head with a silenced 10mm pistol. You will need to burn a stealth boy in order to reach the guard.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Shotgun builds require their own set of particular perks in order to hold up past midgame anyway, as shotguns have a huge issue defeating enemy armor/DT.
Shotgun build requires only two perks - surgeon and stay back. Once you get those two and combat shotgun, any trace of challenge vanishes.

Even though shotguns have problems with DT, 'and stay back' perk nullifies this completely. Once enemy is down, the get-up animation takes ages and you can just stand and shot him repeatedly in the head. This is OPd as fuck and works even with deathclaws. Tested.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Never was a fan of shotguns. Not enough variety, not enough range/too much spread, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can workbench slug rounds. Hand Loader enables the superior magnum rounds, but even those are split into four projectiles. -12 DT per projectile with Shotgun Surgeon is good, but still shit since each projectile will deal at most 25.3 damage each.

Even though shotguns have problems with DT, 'and stay back' perk nullifies this completely. Once enemy is down, the get-up animation takes ages and you can just stand and shot him repeatedly in the head. This is OPd as fuck and works even with deathclaws. Tested.

Two perks for the Riot Shotgun (and whichever less lethal shotguns you care to use, but it's clear people are focused on that Riot Shotgun for a reason) to be powerful, versus say Vigilant Recycler and Laser Commando (or just Vigilant Recycler, if desired) that make a wide range energy weapons powerful.

I'm sure it's strong, but when it comes to the "make wepon suk less" perks, I personally prefer the ones that offer versatility and variety.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So can anybody post an absolute "best-minimal-mods" guide or hwatever?

Essential mods that really beef up the game. I'm not talking about any of the pure technical mod that make the game not crash or whatever.

Any guide or modlist?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Texture packs, there's multiple. I'd also use gun texture packs.
All the technical stuff. 4GB, NVAC, YUP patch etc etc.
Weapon Mods Extended.
Project Nevada or Jsawyer Ultimate.
Radio mods, they're dime a dozen but Conelrad is obvious.
Vanilla HD Hud.
Nevada Skies
Interior Lighting Overhaul.
Wasteland Flora Overhaul. Adds some green into the game.
Someguy series.
Animation mods. There might be compatibility issues with some of them.
Essential Visual Enhancements. Makes energy weapons far cooler.
Alternative start.
MTUI for the sake of making it more PC friendly.
Piss filter removal mods, again dime a dozen.
Dynavision if you like DOF.
Open The Strip mods, quite a few to choose from.

I'm just reading off of the top 100 on Nexus at the moment (with some personal preferences tossed in) but that's pretty much what I do when modding anything, just look at what's most popular since it's probably the best. I almost used all of these mods and they all retain the original feeling without really ruining it, Project Nevada is highly recommended but it's best to tweak with a few settings like no helmet overlay since that's really annoying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom