Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. You can now buy a 16 GB Codex Troll USB 3.0 for $30 USD (includes postage), simply [donate to the campaign] here! (Only 35 / 100 remaining)
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Neal Hallford To Work with Guido Henkel on Thorvalla

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Crooked Bee, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Crooked Bee Nyadmin Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2014 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Guido Henkel; Neal Hallford; Thorvalla

Neal Hallford of Betrayal at Krondor fame has posted on our forum to let us know that, while the possible sequel to Krondor has been postponed, he has joined Guido Henkel (of Realms of Arkania fame) for his new game Thorvalla, soon coming to a Kickstarter near you:

Howdy all. Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. Guido recently asked me to come aboard his Thorvalla project, and I was more than happy to accept. We've narrowly missed the opportunity to work with each at least a couple of times over the past twenty years, and Guido has worked on several of the titles of which I've been a very big fan. As for who I am, I was co-lead designer and writer on another "traditional" RPG called Betrayal at Krondor which was pretty well known for its story. I also worked on a few other titles you may have heard of including Might & Magic III: Isles of Terra, Planet's Edge, Champions of Norrath, Lords of Everquest, and Dungeon Siego.

Recently old BAK team has been talking a lot about doing a "spiritual sequel" to our old game, but at the moment we need more time to "get the band back together", and in the meantime I wanted to get back to work on a traditional RPG that will immerse you in an incredible world and tell you a great story along the way.

I hope you'll support Thorvalla, and enjoy the ride we're about to take together. ​

And the second post in a different thread:

Howdy gang, just wanted to let all of you know who have been talking about Krondor, both pro and con, that we've put the Krondor sequel on pause for the time being until such time we've got more of a team assembled. A lot of the original folks are interested in participating, but it's going to take some epic co-ordinating to find times in all our schedules to make it happen, and we don't want to rush this. It certainly won't be something we can get off the ground and moving before the end of the year, especially given that the holidays are coming up.

That said, I hope that those of you who have been enthusiastic at the thought of my working on a new RPG will consider backing another Kickstarter RPG project that I'll be working on in the meantime. Over the years I've narrowly missed working Guido Henkel a couple of times, but he was behind several awesome titles including Realms of Arkania, Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights and several others. He's asked me to come aboard their project, and I was more than happy to accept.

This doesn't mean that the Krondor project won't happen, it just isn't happening before the end of 2012. Thanks for all your support!​

Sounds like pretty much a dream collaboration to me.
    markec, Unorus Janco, Kosmonaut and 10 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  2. GreyViper Learned

GreyViper
    You are right CBee this has lot of potential and I have high hopes for this.:hug:
    ^ Top  
  3. Minttunator Arcane Patron

Minttunator
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Wow, the good news just keep piling up! It's starting to look more and more like we might be in for a proper cRPG revival. :incline:
    ^ Top  
  4. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I have high hopes for the projects, sadly I lack faith in the general gaming public to carry this through. :(
    General Maxson and udm Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  5. CappenVarra Phantasmist

CappenVarra
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Pure :incline:
    ^ Top  
  6. LivingOne Savant

LivingOne
  7. mindx2 Arcane Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    This is my fear as well. Even though I am one who has been very excited by the Kickstarter cRPG revival, I'm starting to feel... well... a little KS fatigue starting to set in. If I'm feeling a little "stretched thin over too much bread" it will take something pretty great to get more people on board. I hope their presentation is very thorough, clear, and well laid out in order to generate enough "buzz" to get people to contribute (IF the project is a worthy of their pedigree).
    General Maxson Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  8. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Your wife has not killed you yet over the unexpected expenses?
    ^ Top  
  9. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Looking at his plans for bidding on eBay, I don't think he has a wife any more...
    DwarvenFood Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  10. mindx2 Arcane Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    We've come to a mutual understanding... I can pledge to KS but I get no Christmas, Hanukkah, birthday, Halloween, Easter, All Saint's Day, 4th of July, etc. and she gets whatever else she wants and I say "Yes, dear."

Of course I'm still married! Who else can I show off all my geek toys to and have roll her eyes and walk away mumbling "That's nice, dear." ... :P
    ^ Top  
  11. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    :takemymoney:

Hell yes is all I can say.
    ^ Top  
  12. Suchy Arcane

Suchy
  13. General Maxson Cipher

General Maxson
    Could be good if they succeed at funding it first.
    ^ Top  
  14. Mother Russia Andhaira Dumbfuck Queued

Andhaira
    Andhaira
    Codex 2013
    mindx2: What do you do for a living btw? And post pics of your wife plz.

Anyhow, it is true most retards today will have no idea what RoA and BaK are...BUT hopefully there will still be folk like us who miss these gems. Also, Germans!!! Fucking Germans should contribute for the good of the 4th reich!
    ^ Top  
  15. kaizoku Arcane

kaizoku
    I loved the subtle approach :lol:
    ^ Top  
  16. mindx2 Arcane Patron

mindx2
    The last thing I want is the Codex doing God knows what over a picture of my wife :rpgcodex:

As for what I do, I shape the minds of the future generation. God help us all!!!!!

I really hope this gets the media coverage because a combination of BaK and RoA sounds to good to be true!
    ^ Top  
  17. Mother Russia Andhaira Dumbfuck Queued

Andhaira
    Andhaira
    Codex 2013
    mindx2: A teacher eh?? Post pics of your female students!

Also, interestingly, both RoA and BaK had first person adventuring and 3rd person taktikal kombat!
    ^ Top  
  18. Dorateen Erudite

Dorateen
    So Neal worked on Isles of Terra, hmmm? Let's hope he keeps this project moving in the right direction as a true party-based adventure.
    ^ Top  
  19. mindx2 Arcane Patron

mindx2
    I really hope this will be party based. I remember spending days just rolling characters in RoA!
    ^ Top  
  20. Dorateen Erudite

Dorateen
    Yes, the Arkania system was very detailed and intricate. One of the best pen and paper systems adapted to the cRPG format. That's what I'm advocating for here. If they want to pursue something that evokes the special complexity of games like RoA, I hope the developers will go all in and do not take the shortcuts of modern game design.
    The Great Deceiver Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  21. The Great Deceiver Trickster Patron

The Great Deceiver
    Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    What happens when too much Incline is achieved in a short period of time?

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

:greatjob:
    ^ Top  
  22. majestik12 Scholar

majestik12
    Wow, great news!
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)