Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nantucket - seafaring strategy/RPG based on Moby Dick

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
ss_e1fe75cf810734119e59ca3795c5561cc7040116.1920x1080.jpg

ss_99102c42fe3bc5c2c3028b67126f0da54fd9b6f2.1920x1080.jpg

ss_bd5bd2e771d217fda085430e133751b04d6a6a79.1920x1080.jpg

Chase after Moby Dick, and live through the Golden Age of American whaling in this seafaring strategy game. Set sail around the world, manage your ship and crew, and live Ishmael's story, the sole survivor of the Pequod, a few years after the events narrated by Herman Melville in his masterpiece.

KeyFeaturesHeader.png

Set sail and explore the seas
Set sail around the world, visit cities, and increase your prestige by hunting whales, landing jobs, and searching for new adventures.

Be the captain you want to be
Develop your character in true RPG fashion, by increasing your stats, choosing your reactions, and developing your seafaring skills.

Manage your ship and crew
Hire and manage your crew, give them tasks on your ship, and improve your ship with new compartments, expanding your ship's capabilities.

Experience the Golden Age of whaling
Experience more than a thousand unique events tailored around your choices—and face the results of your actions.

Hunt whales and fight pirates
Discover new whaling areas, hunt whales for blubber, and protect your ship from pirates using a turn-based combat system.

Chase after Moby Dick
Follow an original story line and complete quests to unveil the secrets behind Moby Dick and dissolve Ahab’s curse.

And of course it has sea shanties:

catfood

AGAIN
This actually looks cool and I love ships. I also really liked the novel; I don't understand why people think it's boring. They'll probably fuck up the game somehow, but I'll keep an eye on it regardless until then.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Anyone play this yet? Looks like a whaling Star Traders: Frontiers.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
From reading the reviews, it seems that there are people concerned with the violence contained in whale hunting, and how its portrayal through dice rolls and card shuffling may hurt the sensibilities of some.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
My first thought when I saw this on Steam was "Great, yet another indie turn-based """strategy""" RNG card based game." :rpgcodex:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Having said that, "little game" means once you understand the formula there is not much of a game. You take the best crew members, buy water/food/grog/wood, sail to the designated points, roll your dice until the whales are dead and return to get your bounty. I see some potential in the late game when you can have more crew members and larger ships, but judging from the beginning it will get you bored long before you get that far.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah I'm concerned about replayability and late game. The problem with many indies - the game runs out of content long before you get sick of it.

But everything else looks...great actually.

Burning Bridges

They try. The problem is that many indies end up just simulating a game, not making one, and this seems to be the problem here: You feel like you are playing a game about whale hunting until you realize you are just shuffling a very limited set of cards. [considering that they apparently had no experience they did a good first job though]

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There are images of late game where whales have 60+ HP. I guess scientists and craftsmen will be vital in those stages. But yeah, the early fights are just about those quick one-hit kills.

Burning Bridges

2Adsm7J.jpg

Me and Hunter Nathan always shared a special bond, our bodies burn with desire for each other.

(I would love if he could turn into a carpenter with caboose skill so that I could finally buy the Schooner)

Burning Bridges

There are images of late game where whales have 60+ HP. I guess scientists and craftsmen will be vital in those stages. But yeah, the early fights are just about those quick one-hit kills.

Scaling can be pretty annoying, I had a situation where the whale's hitpoints was always +1 of my hunters strike (which means 2 strikes intead of 1).

Though, since I have 2 hunters and 1 scientist it works pretty well - the scientist prevents bleeding for the entire boat, which was kind of a game breaker.

Doing pretty well money wise with a Bermuda Sloop and following the hunting periods closely, it becomes a game of managing a strict schedule more than anything.

Burning Bridges

ymyYOGw.jpg

Finally a schooner .. let's see how the whales scale, probably they'll tear me a new one.

there was a pretty simple solution for my caboose problem ..

hire someone :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom