Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm not sure if we can get anything useful out of him either. It's not as if he's a member of the Heron guard or anything, so what is he going to say? Personally, while I see the value of gold I'm inclined to agree with Azira here - we're high profile grave robbers adventurer archaeologists, so let's concentrate on really, really expensive magical artefacts and leave the less portable and maybe even haunted stuff for amateurs. We got the roots (which is what we came here for), quite likely also an interesting artefact as a bonus, and I fear that by looting the corpses we may be pushing our luck. Rule number three of dungeon delving and all that.
Yeah, but we want to offload the gold to our less magically inclined party members so we don't have to share the really expensive magical artefacts with them. Also, we want with the wagon for a reason.

I appreciate the value of gold, sure, but I don't think there is any danger of not finding enough treasure to more than satisfy everyone in our party. Not only because our party is really small, but because when it comes to treasure this place is a mother lode. We already secured an entire tower full of who know what kind of treasure to find and we haven't even got to the vault we are looking for. And I think (or hope) that everyone in our party is satisfied with our progress so far. So I can't help but think that in this situation, having already found the medicine we came for and possibly a nice bonus artefact as well, looting bodies for religions icons while surrounded by undead and ghosts may be a bit too greedy for our own good. Sure, it could perfectly well be just another bonus, but we could be running against rule number three.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Well, Derryth and Miosguinn are not interested. Fangshi, would Serpent want to take the plates? I don't really know his motivations for joining us... he went with the idea because he had nowhere else to go, but what he expects would come out of it? What's in it for him? Riches? Knowledge? Entertainment?

If he wants to take them, I am not going to stop him, if he doesn't, we'll leave the plates where they are.

He does not have a strong opinion on the plates one way or the other. This Journeyman was not his friend and he is not Bruig, he is a Gowerman so he really does not care. He does suggest that if you take them you have them melted down since they are quite recognizable and if you try to sell them whole it would raise questions as to how you got them but they are worth an awful lot of money.

As for what he wants you are not sure really. He appears to be quite grateful to you for letting him join your circle. It really could be as simple as a desire for friendship or a place to belong or he might want magical knowledge and power like any aspiring mage, or perhaps he desires something darker but you have no proof of that. He is not really the type to "wear his heart on his sleeve", he is not always upfront about his motives, thoughts and feelings so he remains a bit of a mystery but keep in mind that you have known these people for what... a month or so? So it may just take time for him to open up a little.

Anyway I will close the vote when I have a moment for an update so probably 4-5 hrs or so.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He does not have a strong opinion on the plates one way or the other.
To hell with the plates, then. I have completely forgotten about the rule number three:
You hesitate for a moment and then continue, "Umm... Three: never get greedy, you can always try again and there are plenty of relics out there but you only have the one life."

Henry positively beams at you, "Good job kid I may just make you into a professional after all!"
Yeah, not worth it.

Baltika9

Arcane
As for what he wants you are not sure really. He appears to be quite grateful to you for letting him join your circle. It really could be as simple as a desire for friendship
...so all he needs is a hug?

Fangshi

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
...so all he needs is a hug?

Or a legion of slaved followers... like I say you just do not know enough about the man to really say. But Derryth thinks of him as a friend even if not a close one.

Fangshi

Arcane
Alright, I am going to close up the vote.

Final tally:

9 o'clock is the unanimous vote for 2b

Smashing Axe 1a 2b 3b 4a
Absinthe 1a 2b 3b 4a
treave 2b
Baltika9 1b 2b 3b 4a
Kz3r0 1a 2b 3a 4a
Azira 1a 2b 3b 4b
Zero Credibility 1a 2b 3b 4b
Jester 1a 2b 3b 4b
tuluse 1a 2b 3c
Grimgravy 1a 2b 3b 4b
Anabanana 1a 2b 3c>b 4b
Nevill 4b

A) 9 votes
B) 1 vote
C)

You will grab the treasure whatever it is...

A)
B) 11 votes; all 9 o'clock
C)

You will insert the key into the ninth hole.

A) 1 vote
B) 7 (8) votes
C) 2 vote

You let Ari and Bari keep their rings, they are grateful.

A) 4 votes
B) 6 votes

And you do not take the very expensive gold plates. Admirable respect for the dead coming from a grave robber... ;)

I should have the next update ready within twelve hours and you will get to see what you won. It is something that Codex has always wanted I am sure....

Fangshi

Arcane
Chapter 9: A Strange Reward

There are a few things that make your life worth living.

A warm bed and someone to share it with.

Fine jewelry, vast riches or a very stylish hat.

A strong drink with a good friend.

A new spell and the promise of greater arcane might.

But your favourite without a doubt is a good mystery, a puzzle, a riddle, some little trap that tests you and allows you to prove that you are just a bit more clever than whoever created it.

One of your most cherished pastimes when Henry was alive was a good game of riddles... you rarely lost...

"Oh this is easy! So Shadow is at one and Dragon is at two and..." you stand there at the altar drawing a proper diagram to map the riddle to.

The enthusiasm you bring to the task surprises your companions and after a few minutes you are confident that you have the correct answer. You grab the key and ram it into the ninth slot and you swear for just a moment that you hear that muffled voice once more calling out to you. You shoo it from your mind and turn the handle of the key, the compartment in the statue opens and your prize rolls out onto the alter.

It is a roundish package wrapped in hessian cloth. The possibilities run through your mind and you babble a bit, "perhaps it is a solid gold sphere, or some sort of teleportation stone, or what if it is THE ORB OF ULTIMATE POWER!" (though you are fairly certain that you just made that last one up in your excitement).

Serpent and Miosguinn, smiles on their faces, gather around as you begin to unwrap the package, you unwind the rope holding it together and dump out your prize....

It is a head...

A dried out, wizen, old head.

Disappointment hits you like a great wave and your temper flares up a bit. You grab the head to pitch it across the room when something falls out of its mouth. A brilliant sapphire tumbles to the ground, followed by a second one and a third. You pop open its mouth to get a better look and there are two more lodged in the back.

"Do you know what these are Miss Derryth?" Miosguinn has snatched up all three and he passes one to you and one to Serpent, "These are Heaven Stones, they are said to grant their bearer great resistance to magic provided that they are carried in the mouth like so."

Without hesitation the doctor pops the sapphire into his mouth. You make a bit of a face, "Doctor Miosguinn you know exactly where that has been, what if you catch something?"

The doctor just grins and shrugs, seems it is a bit difficult to talk with one of these in your mouth.

Serpent examines his stone, "These could be quite useful, but perhaps we should disinfect them first Derryth. I do not think it would be wise to place anything in your mouth that you retrieve from a corpse without proper precautions."

"Well at least there was treasure in the statue. I hate it when I solve a puzzle and get nothing for it," you give the head a good shake and the fourth sapphire tumbles out into your other hand but the final one is lodged in the head's throat.

You think for a moment about bashing the head open but you think you can grab it if you just reach inside. However you are not going to put your hand in the mouth of a corpse.

It would not surprise you if the jaw is rigged to slam down on anyone that reaches inside. Instead you get out your tools and fish the jewel out. Sure enough as soon as you pull on the jewel the jaws of the head slam shut on your tools, that would have hurt...

You pry the jaws open with a little difficulty but eventually you get the last sapphire and you place the head back on the altar. With your treasure secure the three of you turn to leave the chamber.

In doing so you kick up a cloud of dust and what happens next just about kills you all...

Miosguinn sneezes and chokes on the sapphire.

Serpent grabs him from behind and squeezes.

The sapphire flies from his mouth and sets off one of the arrow traps.

You pull them both out of the way as three arrows fly across the room.

One of them grazes you, drawing blood.

It flies past you and hits the head, pining it to the statue.

Then things get decidedly strange.

As your blood touches the head it begins to reanimate; the skin regains its elasticity; the hair regains its colour, strawberry blonde; the eyes fill back out and turn a brilliant blue and the tongue of the head regenerates and begins to move. It is gorgeous, well at least for a severed head. A bright blue rune glows on the head's forehead as well, it is a bit distracting to be honest.

She, you are sure now that the head is female, turns her attention to you, giggles for a bit and begins to speak, "Oh thank you dear, I was trying to shout the answer to you but it is so hard to do with a mouth full of stones... well and no tongue..." she stops and flashes you a warm smile, "Don't suppose that you could pull this arrow out dear?"

For a minute you stand there in complete awe, it is a talking head after all, then you nod and proceed to do just that. As the arrow comes free the head's wound closes, you can tell it pains her but after but a moment she is fully recovered. Well as fully recovered as a severed head can be.

As the four of you stand in silence Serpent decides to get the conversation started, "So, umm... who are you and how did you wind up trapped in there?"

The head starts, "Oh that is easy, I am... umm..." a troubled and slightly puzzled expression clouds the head's countenance, "well, I don't actually know who I am to be honest. As to why I am here, well I imagine I angered someone powerful and they sought to punish me but I don't really remember I am afraid."

This is all quite odd, you ask "Well how long have you been down here?"

"Umm, seventy years maybe... it is a bit difficult to remember to be honest. I remember being quite upset for the first twenty or so years, I wanted to hurt the man that did this to me... he was a colleague, hmmm... My... Myr... ahh, I can't remember but..." she stops and thinks for a moment, "ah, no point holding a grudge right? I think I was some sort of mage and I think I was quite powerful but it is hard to remember really."

With a little concern you continue, "Well is there anything we can do for you?"

She gives you a happy smile, "Oh that is sweet of you dear... well let me think. Actually I don't really need anything what with being almost immortal and all... More than anything I am just bored... oh, I know! You seem to have those leg and arm thingies, you could pick me up and take me with you! It would be nice to be out of this room for a little while at least."

Miosguinn takes you by the arm and whispers in your ear, "I say we put her back in the statue, no good can come of this-"

The head snorts, "You know I can hear you right? You bug me little man, why don't you go away and let me talk to your boss?"

Miosguinn turns to the head, seems she hit a nerve, "Why don't you make me you abomination? You unnatural, abhorent-"

The head sucks her teeth, "You are as an insect before me!" she shouts, then giggles as she begins to cast. She is drawing a lot of power, you can feel it. Then the blue rune on her forehead changes colour from blue to red, she cries out in pain and stops casting as the rune returns to its original colour, "Damn it, damn it, damn it!"

Miosguinn laughs at her efforts, though you can tell that for a minute there he was terrified.

She sighs and turns her attention back to you, she gives you the saddest stare you have ever been forced to endure, "Seems I am completely powerless... I suspect I even knew that once... Look, dear I can tell you are a mage. I can teach you everything I know, all you have to do is take me with you. I don't want to spend all of, well, forever trapped down here. I don't want to lose what is left of my mind, so please, please, please take me with you."

You decide to humour her for a moment at least, "Well why should I trust you?"

She giggles, "Dear you should not trust anyone," she stares at Miosguinn, "Why not ask this insect, this gnat, this cockroach, this plotting spider why exactly he is cloaked in magics that even I can not penetrate. What are you hiding?"

The head and the doctor stare one another down, "Miss Derryth, this thing is completely mad. You are our leader, I will stand by your decision but I do not like this thing and we should not take it with us."

You tilt your head a little, "Miosguinn, is she right? Are you hiding something?"

He sighs, "Yes, Derryth. When I was a young man I lacked discretion. I was injured badly, my form scarred and forever marred. I wear permanent enchantments to hide my deformities and that is probably what this thing detects. I have never told this to anyone, it is my failing, it was my pride and I beg you, both of you, not to go spreading it around."

You turn back to the head, "Well? Is he telling the truth?"

She looks at you an odd smile playing across her face, "No idea dearie. He may well be or he may be lying to you," she yawns and turns her gaze to the doctor, "If you are telling the truth then you have my sympathies... I know better than anyone what it is like to have your body ruined... or misplaced..." she giggles again and focuses on you.

"So dearie, what are you going to do? Are you going to free me, be a real knight in shining armour or are you going to leave me all alone in this dark, dark hole?" she whimpers a little and gives you the sad eyes again, hell she could teach Thaïs a thing or too about manipulation...

She could be a useful asset or a tremendous risk but she definitely has power, power she has offered to teach you though you wonder what the final price will be.

1. Do you take the head?

A) Yes - no one deserves this fate and she is not immediately dangerous. Besides part of you has always wanted a talking head.

B) No - someone put her down here for a reason.

2. The head will need a name since she can not remember her own. If you take her with you, you should give her one. What will it be?

3. Miosguinn spat his stone across the room. After a few minutes of careful maneuvering you recover it but do you give it back to him?

A) Yes - you still have three more plus Serpent's, you give it back and tell him to be more careful with it.

B) No - the damn thing just about got you all killed. If he can't play safely with his toys then you will hold on to them.

4. An interesting idea occurred to you. You could try to examine the spells that animate the Stygian Knights as they are still dormant. You may be able to figure out how the spell works if you have the time. This would allow you to release the souls trapped in the armour and if you choose it could also allow you to create your own Stygian Knights though it would take a lot of power and practice. Serpent and Miosguinn can help you with this as can the head if you agree to take her with you. Of course if you get it wrong the knights may activate and attack...

A) Yes - you examine the knights to learn the spells.

B) No - you don't risk it.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
A- Lambchop19, I'm doing this for you.
Boshen, in memory of the last one.
I'm torn on the second choice: one the one hand, we can soothe his butthurt over taking the head with us. On the other, does he of all people really need to be protected even more from magicks?
A

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A (ULTIMATE POWER!!!)
Edit: Nine sounds good
A
(No sense in alienating him further)
A (Spells give power. I want power)

Last edited:

Sunnmøring

Novice
A, Sekhenun, A, A.

It was hilarious to think of their joyful faces at the coming reward only to discover a severed head, good work on this!

Anabanana

Augur
A OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY A TALKING HEAD!!!
SEKHIE LET'S CALL HER SEKHIE
A
A
Eh, we just got a magical talking head, let's make full use of it

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
1) A It's just too much fun not to
2) Cassandra because the disembodied head reminded me of her from Doctor Who
3) A Let's sooth his feelings for taking the head
4) B We've been lucky so far, I don't want to press that luck any further. I'm also just not the keen on summoning magic. Do if yourself I say.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Well at least there was treasure in the statue. I hate it when I solve a puzzle and get nothing for it,"
Also, what kind of attitude is this for Derryth. Solving a good puzzle is a reward in itself :rpgcodex:

A - but this is probably a bad idea, what with the general hatred towards necromancy and a disembodied head certainly looks like it falls in that category. Not to mention that we can't even trust this thing for advice.
Shodan > Nine - looks like a disembodied head, appears to be helping you, but in reality is only working to return herself to power - check, check and probably check.
A - sure, returning the stone might calm him down a bit after taking the head.
B - now that is just being greedy. The rule is: Never get greedy.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A- Lambchop19, I'm doing this for you.
Boshen, in memory of the last one.
I'm torn on the second choice: one the one hand, we can soothe his butthurt over taking the head with us. On the other, does he of all people really need to be protected even more from magicks?
A

I'm on board with these choices. :salute: (I count the vote for Miosguinn to be allowed to get his stone back)

Fangshi

Arcane
tuluse said:
Also, what kind of attitude is this for Derryth. Solving a good puzzle is a reward in itself

:lol:

Sure but the satisfaction of a job well done does not support her alcohol addiction and it does not pay for new spell books, scrolls and other important things like new clothes and jewelry. She likes the challenge but diamonds arcane artifacts are a girl's best friend after all.

Current Tally:
A) 13 votes
B)

Boshen 3 votes
Sekhenun/Sekhie 2 vote
Shodan 1 vote
Nine, The Orb of Ultimate Power 5 (6) votes
Salome 1 vote
Mortis 1 vote

A) 11 votes
B) 1 vote

A) 10 votes
B) 3 votes

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A
Orb of Ultimate Power
(DERRYTH WILL NOT BE DENIED!) or Nine (after the riddle)
A
A
(It's in the head's best interests to help you if it ever wants to get out of this place, and it should know something useful)

Kz3r0

Arcane
1. Do you take the head?

A) Yes

2. The head will need a name since she can not remember her own. If you take her with you, you should give her one. What will it be?
Salome.

3. Miosguinn spat his stone across the room. After a few minutes of careful maneuvering you recover it but do you give it back to him?

A) Yes

4. An interesting idea occurred to you. You could try to examine the spells that animate the Stygian Knights as they are still dormant. You may be able to figure out how the spell works if you have the time. This would allow you to release the souls trapped in the armour and if you choose it could also allow you to create your own Stygian Knights though it would take a lot of power and practice. Serpent and Miosguinn can help you with this as can the head if you agree to take her with you. Of course if you get it wrong the knights may activate and attack...

A) Yes - you examine the knights to learn the spells.

A side note, I think that Miosguinn tried to kill us here, time to think how to dispose of him.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How cute. A former colleague of our dear Myrdred the Deceiver. I am sure she will prove trustworthy.

The old man was quite a womanizer in his days - first Ravanna, and now this. Well, I am not the one to turn away a free head in a jar, so let's keep her.

1. A
2. Nine. It is a real name, after all.
3. A
4. A, and let's ask the head if she remembers anything about it. A mage's colleague should not forget her craft than easilly. I mean, if we can't have a nice necromancy spellbook, let's settle for a tutor instead.

Last edited:
A side note, I think that Miosguinn tried to kill us here, time to think how to dispose of him.
What, you mean this:

In doing so you kick up a cloud of dust and what happens next just about kills you all...
Miosguinn sneezes and chokes on the sapphire.
Serpent grabs him from behind and squeezes.
The sapphire flies from his mouth and sets off one of the arrow traps.
You pull them both out of the way as three arrows fly across the room.
One of them grazes you, drawing blood.

That would have to be the most over-elaborate attempt at killing anyone ever. If he really wanted us dead, he could have triggered the Stygian Knight trap himself, then hide himself and run away while we get slaughtered. This, this was an obvious accident. Or do you mean he tried to kill us in some other way?

Kz3r0

Arcane
Probably he is not very powerful or knowledgeable as a mage, even if above our level currently, this would explain such a contrived way to try to kill us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom