Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Click here and disable ads!
    The mausoleum entrance was my first preference, too, but there are some things to consider.

- It is on the lower levels with a lot of water around, which makes it succeptible to flooding. It may not be the most grounded fear, as whoever makes that move should be really desperate (and there is a mausoleum below, so chances are, dwarves would never do that, period), and if it is not done yet, there is no way it can be done in half an hour it takes to anchor and open the portal, but the possibility still remains.
    - It is a location far removed from the battlefield, which means that the army will be pretty tired and potentially unfit for battle by the time we arrive to the surface.
    - For similar reasons we would be unable to react to what is happening on the surface for quite some time, and our arrival might make the Beast more desperate and even more aggressive than he is now.
    - Finally, we know that spider demons come from below and that they might be targeting the royal residence on level 10, so it is highly likely we will run into them on the way up. That may be a mixed blessing, as I am fairly sure that we can roll over them in an open fight with Maz around (so one less problem for us), but they are not exactly the type to fight in the open.

We are trading mobility for initial safety here, while with the park we jump into an unknown and not very defensible location that is a much better base of operations if we manage to secure it.

I think I'll leave the decision up to you and just back your vote up. :)

Why not do the whole force, then? Reinhard has the authority to call up an urgent meeting, and if he says he is going - which he is fully in the right to say, what are the Lords going to do, stay behind? Argue to leave Stoneheim for another week? Dare the portal - which they know nothing about - without proper precautions?

It does not leave them too much place to maneuver.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    ^ Top  
  2. archaengender: ⚧ Learned Patron

archaen
    Parrots:
    Well, without Finn we don't have the manpower to deep inspect the whole army as quickly as we planned. We could start it on our own immediately, but only if operation trick or treat has succeeded on the coin sith or we will need to negotiate. We need to know what forces we have to scan with before we call everyone together. Fangshi.

The memorial garden is the other choice that lets our force stay together and if it gives us more tactical flexibility it might be worth the vulnerability. I think we go with Reinhard's suggestion.

^ Top  
  3. Fangshigender: ⚧ Arcane

Fangshi
    Parrots:
    Well it is still technically ongoing. You won't know if it works until you can talk to Berty since the trap may or may not have been sprung by now.

You could send for him but if he is still waiting in ambush then the trap would likely fail.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    Cropper has the 'Horn of Summon Finn', and the fairy king promised to respond to our calls. That's if Crop does not know where his lord is in the first place, which he might, given his penchant for eavesdropping.

So the plan looks like - get Crop out, find Finn, rope him into helping with the plan, and go from there.

I think we have a few scanning teams already assembled?

^ Top  
  5. archaengender: ⚧ Learned Patron

archaen
    Parrots:
    That sounds like what it is going to have to be. If we have a small group of scanners we can start by getting our trusted teams we are going to send through the portal first.

^ Top  
  6. Jestergender: ⚧ Arbiter

Jester
    Parrots:
    Voting like here, but with no identification. I expect that Maz might find out we using his student, if he is not busy enough.

Oh and I am cool to with 3 as long as Lyssa wasn't blackmailed inyo doing this.

^ Top  
  7. Fangshigender: ⚧ Arcane

Fangshi
    Parrots:
    Current Tally:

Grimgravy - 1.Bi, 2.C>A, 3.A, 4.C, 5.B
    asxetos - 1.Biv, 2.E, 3.C, 4.C, 5.A
    Kz3r0 - 1.E, 2.A, 3.A, 4.B, 5.B
    Nevill - 1.Biv, 2.E, 3.C, 4.C, 5.A
    archaen - 1.Biv, 2.E, 3.C, 4.C, 5.B
    Baltika9 - 1.Biv, 2.E, 3.C, 4.C, 5.A
    Karwelas - 1.E, 2.E (D if neccesary), 3.C, 4.C, 5.A
    Jester - 1.E, 2.E(D if neccesary), 3.C, 4.B, 5.A

1. Captured Cropper:
    4 votes Biv
    3 votes E
    1 vote Bi

2. Mazzarin, the Impatient:
    6 votes E
    1 vote A
    1 vote C

Post Flop:
    6 votes E
    2 votes A

3. Emrys and the mail:
    6 votes C
    2 votes A

4. Your unidentified items:
    6 votes C
    2 vote B

5. A fairy runner to Muirthemne:
    5 votes A
    3 votes B

I think it is safe to close the votes now, your winning options are:

1. Biv - Break Cropper out.

2. E - The Gate and Scan Plan

3. C - Ask Lyssa about the letter when you are alone.

4. C - Let a fourteen year old boy play with possibly dangerous magical artefacts...

5. A - yes, you will send a runner

Now there are a few details I need answered about the gate and scan idea.

Have you settled on exactly how you want to move people through the gate?
    Have you settled on where you want the gate to go?

That sort of thing. A clear statement of the exact plan would make it easier for me to enact it without making a mistake.

I am aiming for a Sunday release for the update but I can make no promises.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Baltika9gender: ⚧ Arcane

Baltika9
    Parrots:
    Which Sunday? +M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    The portal opens. If no clear threat on the other side exists, Finn's people and our mercs under Berty move in to secure the area and establish our presence on the other side. They will watch that no one messes with the portal from the other side, while Maz and perhaps some of the elite warriors will watch our side.

If there is an immediate and significant threat, Maz is expected to deal with it (without wandering too far from a portal, he is our safety net) while the Seekers hold the portal.

Once it is safe to cross, we should sent in a small contingent (~50-100 men) of the more loyal forces, first.

All that cross the Gate should do so without explosives, except for our mercenaries.

Next we will send one of the wagons with explosives and supplies. Only trusted people should pack those. The wagon should be reinforced or the cargo is packed in a way that it would be impossible to blow it up even with a direct mortar shot. Maz will watch that nothing happens with the explosives on our side, and Finn & Co. will control the other side.

Once the wagon arrives, the loyal dwarves on the other side will rearm. The disloyal, if there would be any, will be sent to an 'infirmary' for treatment by someone with an authority to do so.

We will continue to send in dwarves in groups. Upon arrival they will be filtered to either join our forces, or the quarantined group. Finn and the rest of the fairies should ease the tensions, should those arise, with their glamour. There should not be too many unsteady elements to deal with at any point.

THe Greater Lords are an exception, we will deal with them separately if they are found guilty of anything.

The process repeats until everyone crosses.

The Gate should go to the park in the 3rd circle.

Is this plan serviceable, or are further clarifications needed?

Does anyone have anything to add or correct?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Aziragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Azira
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    My Emrys idea for the magic items won out? :yeah:

^ Top  
  11. Fangshigender: ⚧ Arcane

Fangshi
    Parrots:
    That is clear.

I can leave this particular option open for another 24hrs in case anyone wants to make/suggest any alterations.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    Two things I want to add.

We should find out who is loyal and who isn't before we start movng people through the Gate. The one in command of Royal forces on the other side should be aware of that list as well - that is how separating loyalists and subversives should work, in theory.

Also, I noticed that it happens quite often in this CYOA that characters are having misgivings about the plan after we commit to it. If at any point our people or Reinhard or anyone else in the know comes up with a certain concern or a better idea, I want our character to give it a full consideration rather than simply ignore it in favor of forcing the plan on them.

So far Reinhard - who is tactically far more skilled than us - have agreed to it, but there might arise new circumstances.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    ^ Top  
  13. Fangshigender: ⚧ Arcane

Fangshi
    Parrots:
    Just a short post to raise everyone's hopes give an update on the update.

I am not dead and the update is still creeping toward completion. It is about half done and hopefully it will not take another two weeks to finish it.

That is a sensible way to go about things, yes.

Part of that is down to Derry's character I am afraid. Girl is headstrong, at least it has worked so far... :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Jestergender: ⚧ Arbiter

Jester
    Parrots:
    It's alive! Alive!

Nevill come on its cyoa. Altering the plan to add opinions would probably need vote and would be kind of cheating. Let's not add things making it more difficult for Fangshi than now. He have enough problems with this project without thinking what to add to our plans to make it work better. He already is writing, rolling, planing, managing info, reacting to our questions and custom routes. Seriously dude don't make it harder on guy half into campaign. Respect DM!
    :whatho:

^ Top  
  15. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    :what:

What? What part of the plan was altered? I am not sure I am following you there.

^ Top  
  16. archaengender: ⚧ Learned Patron

archaen
    Parrots:
    It is taking so long because Mazzy rolled a 1 on his gate cast and it connected to warhammer 40k tyrannid homeworld. Lots of rolling that.

^ Top  
  17. Fangshigender: ⚧ Arcane

Fangshi
    Parrots:
    Worse yet, the army is already infiltrated by genestealers...

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

If you want to survive the dwarves will need to advance quickly... very quickly...

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a quick Tuesday update:

The update is about 3/4 done at the moment. I hope to have it out in the next few days if I can steal a bit more free time.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Aziragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Azira
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    Ah. The Squats. They should never have retconned them out. NEVER! *shakes fist angrily*

^ Top  
  19. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    Another weekend, another hope. :happytrollboy:

^ Top  
  20. Baltika9gender: ⚧ Arcane

Baltika9
    Parrots:
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

^ Top  
  21. Aziragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Azira
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    I sense another weekend approaching.. :codexisfor:

^ Top  
  22. Fangshigender: ⚧ Arcane

Fangshi
    Parrots:
    A weekend where the update should will be posted, I hope.

The body of it is mostly done, I just need to find the time to finish it off and figure out how to structure the options... tempted to just go full freeform at this point but a little guidance might be helpful...

Either way, look for an update within forty eight hours. I will update this post before I post the update.

A quick update on the update:

The update is finished. It just needs options and a few passes/revision.

It will either be up in an hour or when I get back in.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  23. Aziragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Azira
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  24. archaengender: ⚧ Learned Patron

archaen
    Parrots:
    I am going to post something to get all your hopes up. :badnews:

^ Top  
  25. Nevillgender: ⚧ Arcane

Nevill
    Parrots:
    Triggered.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)