Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He's got style and class. In spades. More so than anyone else we've come across.
Ah, but does he sing when he kills people?

TWM might contest that statement. :cool:

It does not help that he is one tier higher than Ceannard on the handsomeness scale. :P

No matter, we'll make Ceannard #1 soon enough.

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi, I've noticed that the numbers have disappeared from the descriptions of out items. Did it happen because the numerical system didn't fully reflect the usefulness of items, so the system was scrapped altogether in favor of the current one? Or perhaps because you didn't want us to know how well we are protected at any given moment so that we didn't game the system, so it became a hidden stat, much like SAN?

Can we have a glimpse at how the protection works, especially if there are no HPs? Is it a binary system meaning that a 50% resistance grants you a 50% chance not to be affected, and a 50% chance to be affected fully, or is it a more subtle one?

I've seen people scoff at items granting minor resistances, but how meaningful they actually are?

Jester

Arbiter
Although it might be funny to see intermission in Academy depicting how they try to fix/hide problem afraid of reaction of one of best mages in kingdom.
Oh man holly days had come quicker for me. One of my favourite moments, thx Fangshi. :lol:

"even if you have mostly played them as heroes since the middle of Chapter 1."
Heroes? Try badasses. :smug:

"Just consider it a momentary look into the sorts of people they might have become if not for your constant drive toward heroism. They could have been perfectly mean, vindictive, and wrathful. :lol:"
Wait we are not? You make me start question some decisions in my life.

"Oh to be a fly on that wall... :smug:"
Interludes.

"Berty bought a goose.
A professionally trained guard goose.
What more is there to say? :lol:"
I got one.
Who is selling guard goose's? Tell me prices.
:takemymoney:
Or is it smart goose who decided to become a warrior. Its getting confusing.

"Sure, kill the real Rand. :lol:"
We will get reward for that. Probably information what else disturbing things she got.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Fangshi, I've noticed that the numbers have disappeared from the descriptions of out items. Did it happen because the numerical system didn't fully reflect the usefulness of items, so the system was scrapped altogether in favor of the current one? Or perhaps because you didn't want us to know how well we are protected at any given moment so that we didn't game the system, so it became a hidden stat, much like SAN?

Can we have a glimpse at how the protection works, especially if there are no HPs? Is it a binary system meaning that a 50% resistance grants you a 50% chance not to be affected, and a 50% chance to be affected fully, or is it a more subtle one?

I've seen people scoff at items granting minor resistances, but how meaningful they actually are?

Well I have tried to go for simplicity where I can since you do not have direct access to most of the crunch anyway in the CYOA. I figured it was more important for you to get the qualitative nature of what you are buying than the actual numbers behind it given that you have no real context with which to consider them in.

But...

I suppose I can tell you how I deal with injuries.

As mentioned before I do not much care for the idea of a pool of hitpoints. It is a classic abstraction but I don't much like some of the natural consequences of it.

Instead I am using a wound based system. Less precise perhaps but it does avoid situations where you receive an axe to the side of the head and shrug it off because you still have 100HPs or whatever...

It would probably be easier to just give an example:

So let's say you get in a fight and you get hit.

If you take damage I roll to see how badly you are hurt. Most of the time it will be minor wounds unless you are hit with a mortar shell or a spell or something. However, wounds have a cumulative effect and once you have a minor wound the odds of getting a major wound increase so for example:

You are a standard warrior type character, engaged in a sword fight with another regular warrior.

You get cut with a sword (I roll a 1d100 or more likely the %)

1-40: minor wound ('just a scratch')
40-80: moderate wound (a definite inconvenience and something a surgeon should tend to when the fighting stops/pauses)
80-95: serious wound (you may die if you are not treated, you will likely be crippled unless magic is involved)
95-100: critical wound (without treatment you will die)

Then the fighting continues and you get cut again:

1-30: minor wound
30-60: moderate wound
60-90: serious wound
90-97: critical wound
97-100: head cut off...

And it keeps going like that, round after round until you have been stabbed twelve times and it looks like this:

1-5: minor wound
5-10: moderate wound
10-50: serious wound
50-80: critical wound
80-100: dead

With something like a spell it works much the same way though spells tend to be more fatal if you do not have regen/healing/resistances.

Something like a mortar or a big spell is likely to look like this on the first hit:

1-5: a bit of shrapnel, damn are you lucky!
5-10: a lot of shrapnel, you might pull through...
10-30: there goes an arm...
30-60: well, you did not need those legs anyway...
60-100: you got hit by a mortar/fireball, what did you expect would happen? You're dead.

Now, it is not just the flat results from the table that I take into account. I also apply a number of modifiers based on the situation, your equipment, your resistances/immunities, your skills, and your enemies equipment/sklls/etc. Magic and Physical resistance are a part of that so if you get a +3% magical resistance that is applied to your roll to lower it and turn your serious injuries into moderate ones or your moderate ones into light ones and so on.

It is why you were able to stand there and take a spell to your face from Miosguinn without getting killed. Those heaven stones saved your life as I mentioned way back in chapter 1. Instead you just received a number of moderate wounds and had to take some time to recover properly. Thankfully you also had a genius physician on hand to ensure you would recover properly as well.

Jester said:
Oh man holly days had come quicker for me. One of my favourite moments, thx Fangshi. :lol:

I live to serve. :salute:

The fellows are always fun to write/roll for since I never quite know what they are going to do until they do it. :lol:

Jester said:
Heroes? Try badasses. :smug:

Yeah, that probably is a better fit.

I mean it is not that heroic to sell your enemies into eternal slavery is it? Poor Hallr. ;)

Jester said:
Wait we are not? You make me start question some decisions in my life.

Well, maybe D&T just need a good role-model to show them how to be proper mages. Speaking of which...

Jester said:
Interludes.

I actually have a half finished Mazzarin Interlude sitting around here. Nothing too 'spoilerish' just a day in the life of the most powerful man in the setting. :cool:

Might post it on the weekend, will post it before Christmas.

Jester said:
Who is selling guard goose's? Tell me prices.

5 WPs a goose. They are the best guards a person could ask for!

36d6c29a20ce5306743bf3934f5ceb28.jpg

Jester said:
We will get reward for that. Probably information what else disturbing things she got.

You can count on it.

And here are the current numbers for the vote:

Current Tally:

asxetos:
1F
2Ci
3D
4A
5B

Kz3r0:
1B
2Ci
3C
4A
5B

Karwelas:
1F
2D
3E
4B
5C

Grimgravy:
1B
2Civ
3C
4C
5A

archaen:
1F
2Cii
3E>F
4A
5C

Nevill:
1F
2x
3E
4B
5C

Azira:
1F
2Ciii
3E
4B
5C

Jester:
1F
2E
3E
4B
5C

1. The Plan: F - Operation Bait & Switch
6 votes F
2 votes B

2. The Price: Ci - the large pot of ink
2 votes Ci
1 vote Cii
1 vote Ciii
1 vote Civ
1 vote D
1 vote E
1 vote undecided

3. The Weasels: E - You will alert Timo about your intentions to wipe the Weasels out...
5 votes E
2 votes C
1 vote D

4. The Steel Capes: B - Derryth, Thaïs, Lyssa, Biliku, Uttu, Berty (keep 2 for backup)
4 votes B
3 votes A
1 vote C

5. The Gliding Scarf: C - Give half of material to the mice and keep the rest for creating more in the future.
5 votes C
2 votes B
1 vote A

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Re: Resistances.

So, a +3% physical resistance item is actually granting a ~15% chance to receive a less grievous injury than we would otherwise, and +10% would improve our condition in about 30% to 50% number of cases. That is actually quite significant.

Fangshi said:
I mean it is not that heroic to sell your enemies into enternal slavery is it? Poor Hallr. ;)
We will only keep the slave girls. Filthy male offenders will go to Morpheus. :salute:

Fangshi said:
5 WPs a goose. They are the best guards a person could ask for!
We are turning our army into an animal farm. Eagles, mice, elephants and now geese? What's next, cat ninjas? Squirrel rangers?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
1F
2Ciii a gift for our genious inventor, for when she awakens. Seriously, this seems to promise the maximum payoff, once we wake Melete.

3E
4B
5C

Nevill

Arcane
2Ciii a gift for our genious inventor, for when she awakens. Seriously, this seems to promise the maximum payoff, once we wake Melete.
I wonder if we shouldn't think of our immediate concerns rather than the future after we get back. We can alwways give them another useless artefact to break. :lol:

Not to mention there is an obvious exploit of asking for an item that would be useful in the upcoming battle with the mages. :powergamer: :P

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Ill go 3.E > 3.F I must have read the options wrong(lack of sleep yay!). I was thinking I was voting for Nevill's but was off a letter.

Jester

Arbiter
"Instead I am using a wound based system. Less precise perhaps but it does avoid situations where you receive an axe to the side of the head and shrug it off because you still have 100HPs or whatever..."
cc671e679e371f3fb9a640b64196f95b5e991be291dee52fd2e525658b3fd68b.jpg
"+3% magical resistance that is applied to your roll to lower it and turn your serious injuries into moderate ones or your moderate ones into light ones and so on."
so this:
1-5: minor wound
5-10: moderate wound
10-50: serious wound
50-80: critical wound
80-100: dead

will become this?
1-8: minor wound
8-13: moderate wound
13-53: serious wound
53-83: critical wound
83-100: dead

that makes difference in several unlucky turns.

"I mean it is not that heroic to sell your enemies into enternal slavery is it? Poor Hallr. ;)"
WAIT, wait, wait... Morpheus said something about paradise not a slavery camp. Looks like there is need for investigation. We deserve a cut... i mean that's unacceptable treatment of sentient being. No heroes would vivisect the guy for being in league with ZE EVIL FORCES probably. They always want to enforce their moral code on others. :roll:

"5 WPs a goose. They are the best guards a person could ask for!"
Hmmm if we buy 5-10 goose's and get some ratguards, we could make a goose cavalry. Question is will it be useful? How good are those birds? How much explosives can one goose carry? I think this project could have some potential. Lets think broader lads gander carpet bombing runs or precision strikes. If stuffing is an option flying miniature wight suicide attacks. Are there any goose fractions with religion/dogma or smt encouraging dying into blaze of glory leaving behind only lamentation of their women (or female goose's? "A female is called a goose, or hen. A male is called a gander, a baby is called a gosling. " you learn something new each day) hen. Berserker ganders.
On other hand if they are trained well they could serve as some kind of troupe as distraction for mouse infiltrators. Something like circus or rodeo with both.

edit. Oh right. In last episode the sneaking dwarf is the screaming one? Or does that mysterious dwarf earned enough respect of his fellows to not become a sacrifice volunteer explaining to heroes of kingdom what's going on.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
1. How do you want to try and reach the defenders in their caves?
F) Operation: Bait and Switch

2. The Spinner's Price: Well, they broke your artefact as the fellows are want to do. What do you want in return for their destruction of your property?

E - Title of academy professor. (History of magic mby? Neuromagitech? Something feeling 'right'.) > D > Ciii.

3. The Weasels' gathered intelligence: You know just about everything you could ever want to know about the Weasels' day to day operations and organization. You could simply disregard the information as irrelevant to your investigation or you could use it somehow.

E) You will alert Timo about your intentions to wipe the Weasels out. Let him use his agents to lure Wenzel out, kidnap him, or otherwise keep him away from his people. Then you will give the information to the gangs and throw the Weasels to the actual wolves. Wenzel will live, which should allow you to maintain good relationships with the rest of the family, but hopefully, he will be powerless to harm you.

4. You received eight steel cloth cloaks from the Academy. Who will use them? (Simply list who gets one, you can of course give more than one to a single person or even keep them all for yourself. The most popular set of choices will win.

B) Derryth, Thaïs, Lyssa, Biliku, Uttu, Berty (keep 2 for backup)

5. Your 'gliding scarf', what do you want to do with it?
C) Give half of material to the mice and keep the rest for creating more in the future.

Fangshi

Arcane
Jester said:
WAIT, wait, wait... Morpheus said something about paradise not a slavery camp.

Well it is not like he has them break big rocks into little rocks for him or anything. But they are held against their will (at least if they knew what was going on they would not choose to be there) and they are used as entertainment/currency by the demons of the Dreaming so in essence they are slaves though Morpheus is not crass enough to actually come out and say it. He has hinted in the past though that he does not really see them as people, they are like football/baseball/hockey cards to him essentially.

Jester said:
How good are those birds?

They are quite smart, very vicious and have keen senses but they are essentially just regular birds. Even Lyssa's eagles are smarter, the rodents are much smarter.

Jester said:
How much explosives can one goose carry?

Well they aren't birds of prey like the eagles so they would not be as skilled at diving at targets or lifting off with 'payloads' but they can be quite large animals so you could probably strap at least a few pounds of explosives to them. The real trick would be deploying the explosives... you might be able to manage if you could train a team of mouse 'pilots' to go up with the geese and release the explosives over the desired target.

If I had to compare the results I would say:

eagles = fighter aircraft/attack aircraft

geese = definitely bombers

s_w43_09020154.jpg

geese-v-formation02.jpg

Jester said:
In last episode the sneaking dwarf is the screaming one?

Yeah, the running dwarf was the little/shouting dwarf. He was actually supposed to get the spinner away from the building so they could claim it was stolen, instead he led you right back to his comrades. :lol:

Jester said:
E - Title of academy professor. (History of magic mby? Neuromagitech? Something feeling 'right'.)

Added.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Well it is not like he has them break big rocks into little rocks for him or anything. But they are held against their will (at least if they knew what was going on they would not choose to be there)
Strange. It is almost like being thrown in a prison. :lol: With a caveat that they would not choose or like being in prison even if they didn't know what is going on, while they are pretty content to remain in the Dreaming.

and they are used as entertainment/currency by the demons of the Dreaming so in essence they are slaves though Morpheus is not crass enough to actually come out and say it. He has hinted in the past though that he does not really see them as people, they are like football/baseball/hockey cards to him essentially.
Eh, he can treat them as kettles so long as he does not actually pour boiled water down their noses. What difference does it make to them if they aren't even aware of the existence of the demons to feel offended at the fact? ;) What would change for them if he thought of them as people?

I can't be bothered worrying about that a Flying Spaghetti Monster is discriminating against me, so why would anyone?

I am also sure that Morpheus does not view us as equals even though he pretends to do so for our benefit. That is absolutely fine, we are not his equals, at least, not yet. I find it unlikely he sees us as people either, or rather, I am pretty certain that he sees us exactly like 'people' - as in, mortals. What are we to Morpheus? Tools, agents, collectibles, and entertainers, but he has enough sense not to shove that in our faces, and we have enough sense not to dwell on it. He is useful to us, and in the end that is all that matters in a business relationship. What he believes in does not factor in it as long as he treats us well, does not mean us harm, and does not actively work against what we believe it.

If I had to compare the results I would say:

eagles = fighter aircraft/attack aircraft
geese = definitely bombers
Hmmm... who should we use as freighters, then?

Also, what is the fasters bird in the setting? A falcon? Maybe we should hire some as express mail carriers, they are about 1.5 times faster than the eagles, though not nearly as magnificent.

Hmmm... are our eagles of a jealous sort? :)

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
What difference does it make to them if they aren't even aware of the existence of the demons to feel offended at the fact? ;)

None to them but it might to Derry & Co.

Nevill said:
What would change for them if he thought of them as people?

Well, they probably would not use them as currency for starters and your plan to trade TWM for favours/IP would fall through... :lol:

Nevill said:
Also, what is the fasters bird in the setting? A falcon?

Depends what you want them to do. The Peregrine Falcon is the fastest bird when it come to gravity assisted flying/diving:

2013-03-22+hugabug+09_pic+04.JPG

But if you want the fastest bird when it comes to level flight you want the Spine-tailed swift/White-throated Needletail:

Spine-tailed-swift-1.jpg

If you want the fastest migratory bird (endurance flier) then try to catch yourself a Great Snipe:

Mullarney+GreatSnipe_3May10_4925lowRes.jpg

Nevill said:
Hmmm... are our eagles of a jealous sort? :)

Some of them can be, yes.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
But if you want the fastest bird when it comes to level flight you want the Spine-tailed swift/White-throated Needletail:

If you want the fastest migratory bird (endurance flier) then try to catch yourself a Great Snipe:
Yes, the level flight and over great distances, too. Swifts are more of a sprint-runners.

Maybe a frigate bird or something along those lines with extremely large wings and relatively low body weight that help them drift on the air currents for weeks.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Maybe a frigate bird or something along those lines with extremely large wings and relatively low body weight that help them drift on the air currents for weeks.

Well if you want long distances covered quickly the Great Snipe is your bird. Little guy can go from Sweden to Sub Saharan Africa in two days of non stop flight and hits a level flying speed of 97 km/h.

If the Snipe does not match what you are looking for then you could also try the Godwit (goes from Alaska to New Zealand in nine days or so), it tops out at 56 Km/h.

Generally speaking though you either get fast 'sprinters' or slow marathon fliers, there are not too many species that can do both.

Of course you are mages. Why should you limit yourselves when you can instead use magic to fuse different species together and try to breed the ultimate monsters! You could wind up creating Myth's version of the Owlbear or Blink Dog, hundreds of years from now good/evil adventurers might well curse your names for dabbling in things 'beyond mortal man's comprehension'! :lol:

Nevill

Arcane
Why should you limit yourselves when you can instead use magic to fuse different species together and try to breed the ultimate monsters!
Because Lyssa.

Seriously, when a girl is ready to murder actual people over animal abuse (yeah, I know, how rayciss - speyciss? - of me to value sentient life over one of an animal), you know you've got a cray-zee on your hands.

A zombie-raising cray-zee with noble-eating eagles and spell-casting mice.

No thank you. :lol:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Because Lyssa.

Seriously, when a girl is ready to murder actual people over animal abuse (yeah, I know, how rayciss - speyciss? - of me to value sentient life over one of an animal), you know you've got a cray-zee on your hands.

A zombie-raising cray-zee with noble-eating eagles and spell-casting mice.

No thank you. :lol:

Coward. :smug:

But to your original point, if you do not want to create what you need then you would likely have to send Lyssa out into the wilderness to try and catch/coerce birds into your service if you want to expand your options. You would als likely need to invest in a proper place to keep them fed and looked after as well. If they have no reason to stick around/come back to you then they will just run off when you try to send them out.

Another option is to see what can be had on the markets in Myrgard and Muirthemne. All sorts of animals are captured and then sold on to the nobility for sport/recreation/entertainment so that might also be a place to start.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
That's what people said after we didn't try to kill Faceless. :roll:

That would have went about as well as Lady Grey's attempt, except that we were amused by it enough to leave her alive. :lol:

Incidentally, first thing we will need to teach her in her mercenary captain career is how NOT to be a hero.

Of course, that coming from the mouths of the Heroes of the Kingdom might sound a bit hypocritical. :lol:

Oh, what would I give only not to be one. :negative:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Tableware and mushrooms. I think. We'll probably need to experiment a bit...

What? We're mages, crossbreeding inanimate objects and fungi should not pose a problem to us.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Why should you limit yourselves when you can instead use magic to fuse different species together and try to breed the ultimate monsters!
Because Lyssa.

Much saner than animal abuser.

Nevill

Arcane
I have no love for them, but that's still not a thing to kill for.

Then again, we've killed for less, though indirectly. :salute:

Nevill

Arcane
Binding Tongue - (ritual) A general ritual used to enchant an item with the ability to speak a limited number of related animal dialects. The item and the desired dialect must come from similar or the same species to work. For example, to bind the song of the eagles to an item it must come from an eagle or related raptors, or to bind the tongue of the wolves to an item the item in question must come from a wolf or other canine and so on.
Fangshi, can Lyssa tell us what item can be used to make it possible for us to communicate with elephants, and how much time would it take?

Can we obtain such an item from the animals themselves without harming them?

Jester

Arbiter
Also, what is the fasters bird in the setting? A falcon? Maybe we should hire some as express mail carriers, they are about 1.5 times faster than the eagles, though not nearly as magnificent.
Cleverbot_bf4578_2156670.jpg
07e1235423270b2a6be28856f3e8d769.jpg
Did i was only one who thought about this? :lol:
Nevill said:

Well if you want long distances covered quickly the Great Snipe is your bird. Little guy can go from Sweden to Sub Saharan Africa in two days of non stop flight and hits a level flying speed of 97 km/h.

If the Snipe does not match what you are looking for then you could also try the Godwit (goes from Alaska to New Zealand in nine days or so), it tops out at 56 Km/h.

Generally speaking though you either get fast 'sprinters' or slow marathon fliers, there are not too many species that can do both.

Of course you are mages. Why should you limit yourselves when you can instead use magic to fuse different species together and try to breed the ultimate monsters! You could wind up creating Myth's version of the Owlbear or Blink Dog, hundreds of years from now good/evil adventurers might well curse your names for dabbling in things 'beyond mortal man's comprehension'! :lol:
Sir Bedevere Lyssa: How do know so much about swallows birds?

King Arthur Derryth ó Foghladh: Well, you have to know these things when you're a king mage, you know.

Incidentally, first thing we will need to teach her in her mercenary captain career is how NOT to be a hero.

Of course, that coming from the mouths of the Heroes of the Kingdom might sound a bit hypocritical. :lol:

Oh, what would I give only not to be one. :negative:

Never be a hero, even if you wont be a hero you might get everything related to title. Look at us. You will end up in boring party with people you dont know and probably dont wish to cross patch with in first place. First time we met those people we wanted to burn them after half of party. :roll: Still if it pay bills its ok. If you dont earn from it enough find better workplace.
I have no love for them, but that's still not a thing to kill for.

Then again, we've killed for less, though indirectly. :salute:
Well there are people who would disagree. Still some kind of enchantment linking pain of animal to trainer. Hmmm sound like case of poetic justice. :obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom