Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Cassidy

Arcane
Any airship should end blown up by ghôls trying to pilot a heavier than air aircraft because you might as well add rifles, cameras, monocles and top hats to Myth if you add airships.

Actually, Mytharcanum: of Steamworks and Magic Dark wouldn't be such a bad idea.

:M

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Any airship should end blown up by ghôls trying to pilot a heavier than air aircraft because you might as well add rifles, cameras, monocles and top hats to Myth if you add airships.
"It is a Wyrd damned shame that I have to abandon all of my inventions, my machines, my weapons... why just the other day I think I discovered the secret of flight. True 'mechanomagical' flight, we could sail above the world in ships of wood and metal. Great tubes, filled with people," part of you wonders if perhaps the wine has gone to her head. Flying machines, are such things truly possible?

What she says next seems far more plausible and practical, "Oh, and my new rifles... all gone..." she sniffles a little at the thought.

Thaïs prods her a little, "What is a rifle?"

She stops dead, "Why only one of my most prized inventions! Think of it as a portable, hand held cannon and you would not be too far off. I offered a whole shipment to the King but he refused. He said that such things would make war 'too terrible'. Emperor Alric however showed interest... well at least until that idiot nobleman managed to blow himself up. Now no one wants them! But I kept working on them! One day I will show them! I will show them all!"
:M

No word on cameras yet. Though there are ways to record and preserve dreams. We might build upon that.

Oh, and airstrikes are already a thing. You might want to check the ending of the Battle for Blackrock. ;)

By the way, have you heard that we promised a pocket-sized airforce to the rodents of Fort Blackrock?

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Hm. I thought there would be more interest in talking to the Goddess in a controlled environment. We have practically rushed out of the Eberhardt compound to meet Ceannard's employer in person just to know what his deal was, and that's when we didn't even know if he was the force behind the eagles or the crows.

Ah, well. Guess we'll have to settle for She-Who-Waits.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Just a reminder, the current leading options are:

1.D You will have Albrecht try to summon Wenzel to the palace first thing in the morning

2.Biii You will have Morpheus build a specific Dream for Hallr where Janine and his subordinates are alive and well, he will remain there forever. In exchange you will request everything Hallr knows.

3.A You will tell Hallr that Janine, his apprentice and many of his subordinates are dead when you next see him.

4.B You will not arrange for a meeting with the Spider Goddess at this time.

I will probably close the vote in twenty four hours or so.

Current Tally:

asxetos:
1.A
2.A
3.B
4.x

Kz3r0:
1.Bi
2.Biii
3.B
4.B

Nevill:
1.D
2.Biii
3.B
4.Ai

Jester:
1.A
2.Biv
3.A
4.x

archaen:
1.D>A
2.Biii
3.B
4.Ai

Grimgravy:
1.D>A
2.Bv
3.A
4.B

Absinthe:
1.D
2.x
3.x
4.B

GreyViper:
1.D
2.Bii
3.A
4.x

Baltika9:
1.C
2.Biv
3.A
4.Aii>Ai

A) 2 votes
B)
i.
ii. 1 vote
C) 1 vote
D) 5 votes

2. 1 abstain
A) 1 vote
B)
i.
ii. 1 vote
iii. 3 votes
iv. 2 votes
v. 1 vote

3. 1 abstain
A) 5 votes
B) 3 votes

4. 3 undeclared
A)
i. 2 votes
ii. 1 vote
B) 3 votes

Post Flop:
A) 2 votes
B)
i.
ii. 1 vote
C) 1 vote
D) 5 votes

2. 1 abstain
A) 1 vote
B)
i.
ii. 1 vote
iii. 3 votes
iv. 2 votes
v. 1 vote

3. 1 abstain
A) 4 votes
B) 4 votes

4. 3 undeclared
A)
i. 3 votes
ii.
B) 3 votes

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
2.Biii You will have Morpheus build a specific Dream for Hallr where Janine and his subordinates are alive and well, he will remain there forever. In exchange you will request everything Hallr knows.

3.A You will tell Hallr that Janine, his apprentice and many of his subordinates are dead when you next see him.
An excellent torture chamber for a dirty cultist.

I don't suppose anyone would want to flop to something that would make more sense?

I actually had an idea of arranging for a special dream for Hallr where he could witness all of the events he missed while being unconscious. I would give him a choice of whom to support - his friends, or us - and would decide what to do with him further based on what he chooses. But I guess that won't happen.

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
I still think its too harsh for someone who is misguided but not necessarily evil.
At least lets go with 3B.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I still think its too harsh for someone who is misguided but not necessarily evil.
What exactly is too harsh?

Why is killing him better? Why is telling him that his friends and lover are dead before we kill him better? Why crush the last hope?

That's a lot like killing children on the parents' eyes. Cruelty for the sake of cruelty. If you absolutely have to do it, at least have the dignity not to torture people without need.

I wanted to put him in the closet for the time being while making his stay there as comfortable as possible. 3A turns the idea into a farce.

If you are not letting him go with Biv or Bv, that's merely sadistic.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I've made my opinion clear. Letting him go is the most consistent with our past choices with helpless "enemies" and the most humane option.

Nevill

Arcane
I understand your position. But again, the options that make sense for our characters are:

- Kill him and be done with it. Well, give him to the dwarves, actually, but that's the same.
- Detain him in the Dreaming and use the information he has to further our investigation. That's BiiB or BiiiB.
- Let him go and do what he wants. That's BivA or BvA.

Instead we get something stupid because there is no consensus of what to do with him even within a single option.

By the way, if we are bringing the past choices up, what about the Eberhardt witch hunt? There probably was a considerable number of innocents and 'helpless' people among their supporters (seeing how whole families were executed), yet we killed those anyway to root the opposition out completely.

Sometimes you do what you have to do.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I am kind of reevaluating Aii, even though it is my idea. Can't we talk to her normally, first? We never tried, but then again, we did not have a lot to talk about before.

It's not like we can't make use of our threat at any other time.

Nevill

Arcane
Let me make one last attempt to make a case for why talking to the Goddess might be a decent idea.

Now that her plan with the spearhead have failed, the only way for her to use the artefact for the intended purpose (which, I assume, would be killing the necromancer girl along with her offspring) is by our own hands. If anyone knows how to activate the spear, she does, and it might shave off a good chunk of time Jan needs to spend on researching the item.

Similarly, since she is in command of about half of the dwarven army by virtue of House Berg, there is potential for coordinating our actions so that we would still find the army standing when we get there.

Naturally, there is always a possibility (more like a certainity) of treachery when dealing with her, but if we are smart about what we hear and what we say, and don't take everything she says at face value, I think we might end up better off than if we dive into this mess blindly.

If she considers dealing with us, she'll want to use us to get rid of the Watcher's agents for her and get killed in the process. We might exploit that desire of hers.

Kz3r0

Arcane
The spearhead can be used against her as well, I doubt she will be so nice to reveal its proper use to us.

Nevill

Arcane
Assuming we will ever go to her plane. She is not actually here, though she wants in. Going to her place of power is more risky for us than it is for her. We are just two somewhat talented mortals while she is a god.

I doubt we will be killing any gods in the nearest hundred years. The caliber is too different.

The secrets of the spearhead will be ours all the same, time is the only issue. And since the necromancer is the only one who is within our reach... I think it it not too foolish to account for the possibility of sharing the knowledge.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Assuming we will ever go to her plane. She is not actually here, though she wants in. Going to her place of power is more risky for us than it is for her. We are just two somewhat talented mortals while she is a god.

I doubt we will be killing any gods in the nearest hundred years. The caliber is too different.

The secrets of the spearhead will be ours all the same, time is the only issue. And since the necromancer is the only one who is within our reach... I think it it not too foolish to account for the possibility of sharing the knowledge.
A scheming, treacheous, ages old dark entity tends to be quite prudent and to plan in advance.
Besides, the spearhead will give us a deadly weapon against her, us her very mortal enemies, while losing the dwarven kingdom to the Watcher could be bad not even come close to the alternative.
And he knows perfectly well that we will fight the Watcher no matter what, in fact this is the ideal set up for her, two of her worst enemies battling each others, why she would give us an edge that can be used against her as well?

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Because that edge can not be used against her any time soon and she plans to kill us once we are no longer useful?

Because she does nor have this edge anymore, and once we fail, she will fail, too?

It is like you said. The situation where we and the Watcher would kill each other is ideal to her, but we are definitely weaker. Therefore, it might be in her interests to even the odds so that both sides take heavy casualties.

There are reasons why it might work. Depends on her motivations, really.

I don't see the downside in trying, at the very least.

Kz3r0

Arcane
There are reasons why it might work. Depends on her motivations, really.

I don't see the downside in trying, at the very least.
What every mortal thought when dealing with demons.
By the way I have a better proposal, let's combine an encounter with Morpheus and she-who-wait, ask them how to use the spearhead, they were there too remember, and the extoll an oath from her, in exchange for her help against the murderous sister we will help to instate her on the throne of the spider realm.

Nevill

Arcane
Wasn't she the one who asked Morpheus to spare her sister? If she wanted to rule, why would she not allow to kill the Goddess then?

Yes, it is on my to do list to visit She-Who-Waits, too, but one meeting is not a substitute for the other.

Even if we do not succeed in gaining any useful intel concerning the situation in the south, there is always merit in knowing your enemy. What are her weaknesses, what are her strong points? Even our illiterate maul knows how important those are:
"Magic is not the only way to protect yourself," he begins, thinking back to the very first lessions Eris ever gave him, "Every single enemy you could ever encounter has a weakness. Every single enemy you could ever encounter can be beaten. That goes for men, for monsters, even for gods. Do you understand?"
Is she vain? Is she proud? Is she prone to fits of anger? Does she have a breast size complex? We know too little about her.

We ourselves have learned the importance of finding out about your enemies. In our very first fight with the Thin White Mage we chose to employ mental spells as it was our most practiced school of magic, and nearly paid for it with our lives because trying to appeal to his emotions and desires was futile. We did not make the same mistake twice after we learned what makes him tick - instead, we appealed to his pride and curiosity, and tried to trap him with a promise of our capture. Time will tell if it was effective or not.

There is another precedent that is a part of Myth lore. Connacht, the Great Hero of the Wind Age, who slew the previous Leveller and drove the Myrkridia to extinction, was later reincarnated as Balor and laid waste to the Empire of Cath Bruig. He kept many of the traits he had when he was human, though, and a passionate hatred for everything connected to the Myrkridia was one of them. Alric, knowing this, procured a battle standard of the beasts from the Tain where they were exiled, and during their final confrontation he taunted Balor about teaching him a lesson in humility, raising the standard. Enraged, Balor came to challenge Alric in person, whereupon he was trapped and immobilized with the help of the Eblis Stone, and then hacked to pieces by the remains of the Legion.

None of this could have happened, had Alric not exploited the quirks in his adversary's character.

Of course, this goes both ways. For every thing we learn about the Goddess, we reveal something about ourselves. But she has thousands of eyes and ears to spy for her. We only have our own. I find such a trade acceptable.

Knowledge is power.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
At the moment 1.D and 2.Biii are in the lead while question 3 (four votes for A and four votes for B) and question 4 (three votes for Ai and three votes for B) are both currently tied.

When the ties are resolved I will close the vote.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom