Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not sure I like any of our options too much.

Pursuing Jan is dangerous, especially if he becomes aware of the pursuit and tries to lose us in some danger zone, counting on us backing off (poor deluded soul).

Sending Thais after Janine risks them being unable to catch up and gives away our safety net, not to mention it halves our efficiency as a mage for time being.

Breaking in risks alienating Jan in case he isn't guilty. If the information necessary to crack the case is not in his lab, we risk botching the investigation.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Well, wouldn't it be awesome if the updates came with a date? You know, like the missions in the original games. "Monday August 25, Near Willow Creek". Would give the CYOA that extra Myth-y feel.

Well, as long as our characters know what day it is, anyway.

Not only it would be good for consistency purposes, but it might also alleviate many of the questions about the timeframe, like when is the next window for Melete's ritual, or when is our reunion due, or when does the Seekers' contract expire. I think it might be worth it.

I might consider it but the update are not really coming in the form of journal entries anyway so I don't know how well they will fit.

Nevill said:
Do dwarves have holidays of note?

They certainly have holidays but not really anything Derryth would know about as an outsider.

Nevill said:
So, without further ado... where are our characters located on the hotness scale? Where all of the characters are on the hotness scale?

:hmmm:

Yeah sure, why the hell not.

Not like it changes too much as 'prettiness'/'handsomeness' are not stats and are only loosely bound to CHA. You can be plain or outright ugly and still very charismatic or you can be outright gorgeous and struggle with getting people to do what you want.

Nevill said:
Naturally, 'hotness' is relative, especially when different species are involved, so we need some universal system of measurement. I heard Morpheus is the most non-discriminating being we know of, what's with him knocking the Spider Goddess up.

Yes that is true. As a dream demon completely focused on mortals/other species Morpheus is equally interested in damn near anyone that is sufficiently pretty/handsome and/or interesting by whatever standards apply to their race. So it should be possible to put everyone on one big list as he sees them.

Nevill said:
Therefore, I want to know the relative hotness (measured as per Morpheus' Universal Beauty and/or Handsomeness Scale) of the following (sorted by allegiance):
- Members of the Circle of the Lost, active and provisional - Derryth, Thaïs, Lyssa, Biliku, Uttu, Tyrvard, Gareth, Brigit, Amena, Ithapi, Serpent, Christine, Kara, Meletē and Caoilainn
- Associates of the Lost - Bari, Astrid, Ori, Ceannard, Nephila (for Ceannard's sake if she ever accepts his invitation), Argus, Berty, Mayer, Neel, Kaf, Skite and Myora
- Kids of the Lost - our future hopes, Maya, Anansi, Iktomi, Areop-Enap, Holda, Saule and the rest
- Pets of the Lost - can't forget our animal allies, Jatayu, Ocypete, Aquila, Calaeno, Mirra, Poppy and Martin
- Renowned figures - Alric (we probably saw him on a portrait at least once), his wife (if we've seen her anywhere), Albrecht, Eleanor, Nanshe, The Thin White Mage, Nine, The Faceless, The Watcher, The Deceiver, Mazzarin, The Spider Goddess (if we have ever seen her depictions by the cultists), Morpheus (and his two brothers if Lyssa knows how they look) and maybe some Druid or fir'Bolg or Berserk figureheads if we have ever heard of them.

:negative:

Alright, sure...

Here is how Morpheus sees them (if you want an idea of how a human would see most of the non-humans then just cut their number by half [for dwarves/fir'Bolg] to two thirds [mauls, ghôls and the like]):

Morpheus' Universal Scale of Hawtness:

M - main storyline
S/C - someone that has only appeared in Serpent/Christine Interludes
G/B - someone that has only appeared in Gareth/Brigit Interludes
A/I - someone that has only appeared in Amena/Ithapi Interludes
N - someone that has only appeared in Nanshe Interludes
POR - Person of Renown

Elevens:
-Morpheus - Prince of the Dreaming - M, PoR: Regional
-The Head Druid - Head Druid - S/C, PoR: Regional

Tens:
-Tyrvard (deceased) - Northman Berserk Veteran - M
-Ithapi - Maul Apprentice - M
-Nine - Amalgamated Archmage Tutor - M
-Uttu (in eight years) - Thaïs' bodyguard - M
- The Spider Goddess - Vindictive Deity - M, PoR: Regional
-King Albrecht VII- Dwarven King - M, POR: Global
-Otto - Mercenary Officer (Black Arrows) - M
-The Thin White Mage - Apathetic Horror - M, PoR: Regional
-Berty Levy - Biliku and Uttu's instructor - M
-Martin IV - Knight Errant of the Ratguard - M, PoR: Local
-Truan - Dunnish Berserk Hero - S/C, PoR: Regional
-Three-Fingers - Veteran Bard - G/B
-Reinhard - Dwarven Prince - PoR: Global
-Phobetor - Demon Prince - PoR: Regional
-Phantasos - Demon Prince - PoR: Regional

Nines:
-Derryth - Hero of the Kingdom - M, PoR: Regional
-Thaïs - Hero of the Kingdom - M, PoR: Regional
-Biliku (in six years) - Derryth's Bodyguard - M
-Casgair (deceased) - Red Leader - M
-Ceannard - Mercenary Captain (Black Arrows) - M, PoR: Local
-Mazzarin - The Great Mage - M, PoR: Global
-Colin (deceased) - Brannon Cavalry Officer - M
-Jatayu - Trained Eagle - M
-Queen Elanor - Dwarven Queen - M, PoR: Global
-Nanshe - Ghôlish Empress - M, PoR: Regional
-Kaf - Mercenary Officer (Blackrock) - M
-Mirra - Spellcasting Mouse - M
-Nephila - Freed Spider Demon - M
-Welf - Dwarven Lord - M, PoR: Regional
-Bran - Northman Berserk Captain - S/C
-Angtyr - Northman Berserk Captain - S/C
-Maya (in a decade or so) - Lost Apprentice - A/I
-Anansi (in a decade or so) - Lost Apprentice - A/I
-Galena - Mage Champion - PoR: Regional
-Treva - Mage Champion - PoR: Regional

Eights:
-Brigit - Arcane Archer - M
-Gareth - Mercenary Captain (The Lost) - M
-Ian - Retired Adventurer - M
-Amena - Derryth's Apprentice - M
-Ari (deceased) - Veteran Pathfinder Agent - M
-Neith (deceased) - Silver Leader - M
-Argus - King's Champion - M, PoR
-Lyssa - Reluctant Necromancer - M
-Astrid - Pathfinder Tinkerer - M
-Stori (deceased) - Pathfinder Agent - M
-Myora - Mercenary Captain (Blackrock) - M
-Ocypete - Trained Eagle - M
-Damh - Brannon Lord - M, PoR: Regional
-Neel - Veteran Tracker (Blackrock) - M
-Poppy - Spellcasting Mouse - M
-Skite - Mercenary Captain (Blackrock) - M
-Irkalla - Ghôlish Chieftan - N, PoR: Regional
-Leo - Mercenary Captain (The Venators) - S/C
-Kára - Dunnish Berserk Queen - S/C, PoR: Regional
-Naram - Veteran Warrior (The Lost) - G/B
-Thayer - Paymaster (The Lost) - G/B
-Emperor Alric - Cath Bruig Emperor - PoR: Global
-The Watcher - Mad Goat of the Fens - PoR: Global
-Timo - Dwarven Prince - PoR: Global
-Friedelinde - Master of the Chariots - PoR: Regional
-Lilli (deceased) - Dwarven Princess - PoR: Regional
-Seinsheim - Dwarven Lord - PoR: Regional
- Ada the Dove - Mercenary Captain (The Blooded Doves) - PoR: Local
-Ebba - Culist Leader - PoR: Local

Sevens:
-Serpent - King in the North - M, PoR: Regional
-Eris (deceased) - Fetch Priestess - M
-Jori (deceased) - Dwarven Prince - M, PoR: Global
-Christine - Queen in the North - M, PoR: Regional
-Bari - Veteran Pathfinder Agent - M
-Ori - Pathfinder Agent - M
-Alvis (deceased) - Pathfinder Agent - M
-Caoilainn/Faceless' Stolen Body - Wanderer - M
-Calaeno - Trained Eagle - M
-Aquila - Trained Eagle - M
-Holda (in a decade or so) - Lost Apprentice - A/I
-Saule (in a decade or so) - Lost Apprentice - A/I
-Iktomi (in a decade or so) - Lost Apprentice - A/I
-Nammu - Ghôlish Chieftan - N, PoR: Regional
-Enki - Ghôlish Hero - N, PoR: Regional
-Cassandra - Captured Clerk - N
-Wenzel - Dwarven Prince - PoR: Global
-Reginar - Dwarven Lord - PoR: Regional
-Asger - Cultist Champion - PoR: Regional
-The Boar - Maul Champion - PoR: Regional
-Letta - Mercenary Captain (The Ten Sovereigns) - PoR: Local

Sixes:
-Madb - Mage Shopkeeper - M
-Miosguinn (deceased) - Blue Agent - M
-Isolde (deceased) - Blue Abomination - M
-Mayer - Brilliant Banker - M, PoR: Local
-Meletē - Unconscious Inventor - M
-Eagle - Heron Guard - M
-Hámundr - Guard Captain - M
-Ida - Veteran Archer (The Lost) - G/B
-Morna - Veteran Archer (The Lost) - G/B
-Garner - Veteran Warrior (The Lost) - G/B
-Brom - Veteran Warrior (The Lost) - G/B
-Areop-Enap (in a decade or so) - Lost Apprentice - A/I
-Ninhursag - Ghôlish Chieftan - N, PoR: Regional
-The Deceiver (presumed deceased) - The Source of Five Hundred Poisons - PoR: Global
-Rosalind (deceased) - Dwarven Queen - PoR: Global
-Bärbel - Dwarven Princess - PoR: Regional
-Anja - Cultist Noble - PoR: Regional
-Alfhild - Dwarven Champion - PoR: Regional

Fives:
-Abharsair (deceased) - Blue Leader - M
-Trakk - Veteran Grenadier - M
-Jenine - Dwarven Enchanter - M
-Hesse - Dwarven Lord - M, PoR: Regional
-Jan - Dwarven Prince - M, PoR: Global
-Dagmar (deceased) - Dwarven Princess - PoR: Regional
-Heiner (deceased) - Dwarven Prince - PoR: Regional
-Berg - Dwarven Lord - PoR: Regional

Fours:
-Breamas (deceased) - Red Captain - M
-Birgir - Cultist Noble - PoR: Regional
-The Cock - Mercenary Captain (The Mighty Cocks) - PoR: Local
-Hallr - Cultist Professor - PoR: Local

Threes:
-The 'Artisan' - Human Champion - PoR: Regional
-'Ta Blue Bastard - Mercenary Captain ('Ta Blue Bastards) - PoR: Local
-The Old Man in the Mountain - Mercenary Captain (The Seekers) - PoR: Local

There that is almost the whole cast so far.

archaen said:
E - Find Janine and present the letter from Albrecht to get her and any one else present to help us break into the lab under authority of the crown. Say we tried asking Jan but he ran away during an interview.

Added.

Current Tally:
Nevill: Dii
Baltika9: Dx
Grimgravy: A
asxetos: Di
Jester: Dii
Kz3r0: Dii
zerozero: A
Azira: A
archaen: E

Dii: 3 votes
A: 3 votes
Di: 1 vote
D unspecified: 1 vote
E: 1 vote

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Huh. That's unexpected.

-Christine - Queen in the North - 7
I am pleased to see that Christine is way below our score and is the fugliest in our group so far. Small victories. :smug:

-The Thin White Mage - Apathetic Horror - 10
-The Watcher - Mad Goat of the Fens - 8
Who knew Morpheus has a thing for the undead? He truly is the most non-discriminative being and an example to us all. :salute: :lol:

How come the ladies never commented on the TWM's hawtness, though? His score of ten is according to human beauty standarts, right?

I am surprised anyone finds the Watcher attractive.

-The Deceiver (presumed deceased) - The Source of Five Hundred Poisons
images

If that's a six for humans, I don't want to know what 3 looks like. :lol:

It is also good to see that there are no cultists (except maybe Ebba) higher than 7. The world will lose nothing of value if those were to die. :salute:

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
How come the ladies never commented on the TWM's hawtness, though? His score of ten is according to human beauty standarts, right?

Because every time they meet him he is trying to abduct/kill them? That tends to negatively impact their opinions of the guy.

Nevill said:
I am surprised anyone finds the Watcher attractive.

What can I say, dude was well perserved:

TheWatcher.jpg

Nevill said:
If that's a six for humans, I don't want to know what 3 looks like. :lol:

Sloth.jpg

He has a heart of gold though. ;)

Nevill

Arcane
Set off signals they can find. Cast spells, use magical items, that sort of thing. Or trust that Thais will be able to manage to track you with the necklaces.
Basically, the only idea that comes to mind is to make an improvised 'trail of crumbs' out of our items.

The only pieces of equipment we have in large quantities that are also disposable are arrows. We have about 72 of them on Uttu and 60 on Thais.

We can scatter them so that you can see the next one from where we left the previous. We can even point the arrows in the direction we are heading so that the pursuers would know where to look. An additional benefit comes from the fact that Uttu's quiver adds magical properties to arrows. You can probably feel how long it was since she passed there by touching the arrow (is it safe, BTW?) and feeling the temperature.

Fangshi, can this method be added to D? The arrows don't cost all that much, I think (1 WPs for 2 quivers or so if I remember it right).

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
is it safe, BTW?

I would recommend against picking them up or directly touching them but they can work as a means to tell how much time has passed in a rough sense.

Nevill said:
Fangshi, can this method be added to D? The arrows don't cost all that much, I think (1 WPs for 2 quivers or so if I remember it right).

If those currently voting D agree then yes, otherwise it will need to be a separate option.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
How long does it take for the Spinner to spin its web? How fast does it work? Did Brothers Dietfried demonstrate us the workings of the artefact when we bought it? Surely we didn't just take their word for it? ;)

Can we make a wooded Ariadne's thread by feeding it the arrows?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
How long does it take for the Spinner to spin its web? How fast does it work? Did Brothers Dietfried demonstrate us the workings of the artefact when we bought it? Surely we didn't just take their word for it? ;)

Depends on what you try to feed it, some things take longer to break down than others.

Nevill said:
Can we make a wooded Ariadne's thread by feeding it the arrows?

Sure but you won't be able to sprint after Jan while also weaving the thread. It won't spin that fast.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, the goal is to pursuit Jan and leave Thais/Janine a way to locate us.

Jan might still get away, but this does not depend on this particular detail.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Let's use arrows, but chalk or something like that wouldn't be more practical?

Nevill

Arcane
Do we have it, though?

I just used what I saw on the character sheet.

Hm, I wonder if they had lipstick in the middle ages. :lol:

Jester

Arbiter
Fangshi is there any way we can use bracelets to locate each other? Can our guardian tell where is one bracelet related to other? If so thread is unnecessary.

Nevill

Arcane
This was the first thing I thought of.
Nevill said:
How far away can be the bracelets for Caoilainn to be able to talk with both wearers? I believe there were times when we briefly have been away from Thais during the course of our adventure.
Eleven, maybe twelve meters.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. The range is extremely short.

If so thread is unnecessary.
What thread? We can't use the Spinner or we risk losing Jan. :)

Nevill

Arcane
Contented, the seven sisters, bellies full, seized a home.

Contented, the three princes, hatred quenched, secured their throne.

Contented, the great wyrm roared through the sky.

Contented, the wanderer went home to die."
I have an idea.

What if this last bit was added by Jan's own hand, without actually realizing what it was that he was writing? He might have just copied the symbols. What if he is heading towards the place where he saw that inscription?

Still doesn't explain why he became so nervous, though.

Meh. I am probably wrong. Would a researcher write on a tablet that might be an invaluable artefact?

Fangshi

Arcane
Kz3r0 said:
Let's use arrows, but chalk or something like that wouldn't be more practical?

Yes it likely would be more practical but you don't have any. Maybe something to look into the next time you go shopping (along with other adventuring staples like a ten foot pole or rope).

Nevill said:
Hm, I wonder if they had lipstick in the middle ages.

Crushed gemstones could be used for a similar purpose but the ladies tend not to waste money like that. There may be a few of the new solid lipsticks around but you would have to go to a specialty store to find some (might be something to look into, enchanted lipstick does have possibilities).

Jester said:
Fangshi is there any way we can use bracelets to locate each other? Can our guardian tell where is one bracelet related to other? If so thread is unnecessary.

The bracelets only really function as intended when you are within twelve or so metres of each other. It is possible that, that range could be expanded over time if Caoilainn practiced.

I will close the vote in seventeen hours or so. The current leading option is Dii with three specific votes and one general vote. Hopefully the update will be finished withing a day of the vote closing.

Nevill

Arcane
Enchanted lipstick? What is it enchanted with?

What kind of magical beautyfication is there? Is Nine using something like this to be a ten, or is she a natural?

Yes, I always secretly wanted to be a pretty princess. Why? :oops:

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Enchanted lipstick? What is it enchanted with?

With whatever you can come up with. I am not going to feed you devious ideas that I can use for your enemies instead. :smug:

Nevill said:
What kind of magical beautyfication is there? Is Nine using something like this to be a ten, or is she a natural?

Well a few minor spells are already on the character sheets but really magic is only as limited as your creativity. Naturally there will often be obstacles (largely connected to how potentially OP I think something may be) but if you think you can overcome them then I see no reason not to let you try to do what you want.

Nine would say that she is a natural ten and if you want to contest that fact/'fact' then you can certainly try. :lol:

Nevill said:
Yes, I always secretly wanted to be a pretty princess. Why?
icon_redface.gif

I suppose you will need to carve out a state for yourself then.

Nevill

Arcane
Jester said:
Fangshi said:
The bracelets only really function as intended when you are within twelve or so metres of each other. It is possible that, that range could be expanded over time if Caoilainn practiced.
Sooo, about that arrow thing... :)

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Sooo, about that arrow thing... :)

Sure, since there is consensus, why not?

The vote is closed, Dii wins and you will use the arrows/bolts to leave a trail your reinforcements can follow.

Ideally the update will be out some time tomorrow provided the flu I have caught clears up enough to let me write more than a sentence at a time.

Fangshi

Arcane
archaen said:
A bottle or two of cognac should clear that flu right up.

Sounds like a plan if ever I heard one. Time to go see what I have left in the liquor cabinet I guess. :salute:

Turning to a slightly different subject. The flu may have robbed me of the ability to knock out thousands of words in a few hours but it has given me the ability to focus in on monotonous tasks that require little higher brain function.

Like this:

Myth_States.png

This is a representation of how things stand as of Nov 11, 2542 (my admittedly horrible Paint skills aside this is how things look politically, at least on a formal level).

The Dark Red border encapsulates all the land that is part of the Cath Bruig Empire. As you can see it is quite large. It can then be further subdivided into five pieces. The Empire/Eastern Empire (purple border), the Province/Western Empire (bright red border), the Free Cities in the northwest (golden border), the Forest Heart, run by the Forest Giants in the southeast of the Empire (dark green border), and finally the Ermine, run by the fir'Bolg in the northwest of the Empire (yellow-green border).

The rest are foreign states:

In the north west the light blue Deep Mire is claimed by the mysterious Skrael. The dark blue is the unclaimed Drowned Kingdom of Yer-Ks.

In the north the light green is Serpent and Christine's new Berserk kingdom.

In the north east the brown denotes the Trow lands; the black, the Dire Marsh which no one really owns and the yellow is for the state of Gower.

Finally in the south east are the lands currently claimed by the Dwarven Kingdom through they may not hold them for long.

Nevill

Arcane
The dwarves may have claimed all lands to the south, but how far do their patrols, installations and outposts actually reach? I can't imagine them owning much land to the southeast of Stoneheim.

Who the hell are Skrael? We know we found one who spoke fir'Bolg, and that they had an alliance with us during the war, but that's pretty much it.

What is known about the Dire Marsh? I know magic was involved in ruining the lands of the Barrier, but I still find it strange that a desert is neighbouring a swamp.

By the way, is it known who and when devastated the land? Why didn't the druids from the north take part in its recovery? They are probably one of the few who can actually do it.

Is there any information about any of the cities that ghols may have? They have to bring those captives somewhere. Do they even have cities? The dwarves have had 60 years of relative peace and air superiority - I can't believe those weren't scouted out.

What are the 'relationships' between the dwarves and the Forest Giants? They are kind of sharing a border - maybe there are some agreements in place? Speaking of which, what kind of relationships the Giants have with everyone? Not much was heard from them since the first Great War.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom