Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fangshi said:
The difference is simply that the 'active' spells are ones that are always 'on' (for example a spell that boosts a stat constantly while it is active), they would more accurately be called constant effects or something like that. The spells that are not always 'on' (a fireball for example) will only give off a signal if active.
Is our jewelry 'on' if we aren't wearing it?

Fangshi said:
Eleven, maybe twelve meters.
Well, that rules Caoilainn out.

So I guess the choice would be between leaving Thais behind, or heading back to the lab if we manage to lose him. How is this, then?

D) 'Have Thais find Janine ASAP to act as a guide (she told us to meet her after we are done) while Derryth and the rest of the team attempt to track the Professor down. We will remove the items with active enchantments from our clothing so that Jan would not be able to detect us easily. Thais and Janine can get back to us by following our necklaces - Thais should be able to 'feel' them like we felt Nanshe's. If Janine has questions we can not answer satisfactorily by ourselves, make use of Albrecht's letters.

You may want to have Thais hide near Jan's laboratory to warn you to come back in case the Professor is simply trying to get you out so that he could hide evidence or otherwise attempt something suspicious. Should Jan leave the premises of the Academy, she should be recalled and leave with us as well.
i) Thais should be the guard and communicate with you through the necklaces with the simple code system you have developed for Nanshe.
ii) There is no need for the guard. The Academy is probably too big for you to get back there on time anyway. Best to not split up.'

Azira said:
Jan is running off to find the remains of the mortal dwarf that helped the incipent spider goddess. They have his spear somewhere, and that spear is Important.
I can't believe you didn't recognize our old friend Faceless Tranny. A mortal that dallies with gods and demons alike, an ancient wanderer armed with a spear. Come on, there is only one man that fits the description!

No, I think it is something else that had him spooked.

Also, Fangshi, I've noticed this:
Derryth's Character Sheet said:
Pets:
Untrained:
Martin, Ratguard Mouse Warrior - Dispatched - Infiltrating the Palace
What would exactly be involved in 'training' our mice and their champion in particular? From what I've seen, Ratguard already has some clues about discipline and subordination. What differentiates trained pets from untrained ones?

Fangshi said:
Well she would not like it but it is not like she can do anything about it.
Any way we can make it up to her so she would not hold a grudge over it?

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Is our jewelry 'on' if we aren't wearing it?

Depends on the spell, with the enchantments you have they would not give a signal if you were not wearing them.

Nevill said:
D) 'Have Thais find Janine ASAP to act as a guide (she told us to meet her after we are done) while Derryth and the rest of the team attempt to track the Professor down. We will leave all of our enchanted stuff with Janine to stash them somewhere for safekeeping so that Jan would not be able to detect us easily. Thais and Janine can get back to us by following our necklaces - Thais should be able to 'feel' them like we felt Nanshe's. If Janine has questions we can not answer satisfactorily by ourselves, make use of Albrecht's letters.

You may want to have Thais hide near Jan's laboratory to warn you to come back in case the Professor is simply trying to get you out so that he could hide evidence or otherwise attempt something suspicious. Should Jan leave the premises of the Academy, she should be recalled and leave with us.
i) Thais should be the guard and communicate with you through the necklaces with the simple code system you have developed for Nanshe.
ii) There is no need for the guard. The Academy is probably too big for you to get back there on time anyway. Best to not split up.'

Sure I can alter D to that.

Nevill said:
What would exactly be involved in 'training' our mice and their champion in particular? From what I've seen, Ratguard already has some clues about discipline and subordination. What differentiates trained pets from untrained ones?

Trained v. untrained simply has to do with how likely they are to follow orders and the like. In the case of the rodents it would be difficult to make them as 'trained' as the eagles are. They are simply too intelligent and self-interested to behave the way the eagles do.

Nevill said:
Any way we can make it up to her so she would not hold a grudge over it?

Get her body back and/or get her out of the bracelets.

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
Di. His reaction has something to do with the mortal wanderer that assisted the Spider Goddess i guess?

Nevill

Arcane
Hm. Seeing how the last inscription on the tablet was by added by a different hand at a later date... let's try a wild guess.

Fangshi, we still have the letter from the Faceless when he escaped from the bracelets, correct? Can we compare the handwriting?

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
Guy is suspicious after last part he become all defensive and stuff.
Key to this riddle is person who added last part. I doubt that random cultist would write on their holy text, would expect rather some kind of researcher... mby Jan is continuing someone else work?
I expect that he isnt the cultist, but he knows who of his family is. Might be that he wish to show that person what we find out. Either way shadowing him sound like opportunity.

D II? i guess

Nevill

Arcane
Key to this riddle is person who added last part. I doubt that random cultist would write on their holy text, would expect rather some kind of researcher... mby Jan is continuing someone else work?
That's a possibility. The tablet differed from the common myth by the time it spoke of the failed trap, but he didn't react up until he read the last part.

If that person were alive and readily available, though, would there be so many untranslated texts lying around? And if they were dead or at least not around, why the hurry?

Jester said:
I expect that he isnt the cultist, but he knows who of his family is.
It can also be the case that he provided the location of the Pathfinder prison unwittingly. Especially if he contacted the Goddess before out of scientific interest. He didn't answer our question from before.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Nevill I am confused on how we are using the necklaces in D as a signal source since our necklaces don't send out a signal. Are we supposed to be feeling more or less insane?

Nevill

Arcane
Our necklaces are unnoticeable by anyone else, but I think we are supposed to sense them... are we, Fangshi?
He tries to reassure you, " The necklaces emit a slight signal but do not worry ladies. It was difficult to detect and doubtful that your average mage could use the necklaces to find you. They would have to know what to look for in the first place. Even if they did, they would require a lot of skill without our tools to make use of that information."
[...]
Derryth theorizes that you were able to detect her necklace because of your necklaces. That somehow the spells Mazarin used in his necklaces allow you to pick up signals you should not be able to and at a great distance. Thaïs manages to discretely ask if Nanshe could sense you coming as well.
Nanshe was unable to sense us before we waltzed in the treasury, but we could pick up her signal from several miles away.

I admit, though, that I never asked if we were able to detect the signal, but given that they were intended to keep the wearers together I assumed that they also helped us find each other.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Fangshi, we still have the letter from the Faceless when he escaped from the bracelets, correct? Can we compare the handwriting?

You do not see any clear connections between the two pieces of writing. Of course one is ink on paper while the other is chiseled into clay and the two languages are also quite different so that does not mean there is not neccesarily mean there is no connection.

Nevill said:
Our necklaces are unnoticeable by anyone else, but I think we are supposed to sense them... are we, Fangshi?

You can not generally sense them either without something to help pick up their signal (the fellows' instruments). In theory you should be able to and since you know exactly what you will be looking for you might be able to pull it off but the enchantments on the necklaces are very well constructed and are very difficult to detect.

If you had to guess they are designed so that Mazzarin can find you whenever he wants and if you put the time/effort in you might be able to use them to find eachother but in general they are not a great way of determining someone's position.

Nevill

Arcane
So what are our options if we want Thais and Janine to be able to find us? A trail of magical crumbs?

Fangshi

Arcane
Set off signals they can find. Cast spells, use magical items, that sort of thing. Or trust that Thais will be able to manage to track you with the necklaces.

Nevill

Arcane
Is the Royal Academy located under a roof of a single building, or is it a name for a whole complex spanning several blocks connected by streets?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Is the Royal Academy located under a roof of a single building, or is it a name for a whole complex spanning several blocks connected by streets?

It is a complex that spans several blocks, it is connected together by a number of private streets, squares, parks and the like. The buildings are also connected by various enclosed walkways and underground tunnels. The entire Academy can be sealed off at a moment's notice or specific buildings can be cut off from the rest of the Academy.

Nevill

Arcane
But it is located under an open sky, right? So something like Uttu's flare should work.

Bonus point for the bow not being enchanted by our ladies or being fired inside the city before, so it can't be connected to us.

Nevill

Arcane
Eh. Since I don't suppose Di will work at all with the clarifications given, I'll go with Dii.

Hopefully, Thais will find us before we manage to find trouble.

Nevill

Arcane
Well... as usual, when the update is not forthcoming, I start asking stupid questions. ;)

What is the current year, month and day? What time of year is it now? How big is the known Mythverse and are all of its lands equally affected by the seasons' change? If it is small enough (if the Empire of Cath Bruig is to the world what Europe is to Earth), then I suppose climatic changes to be rather mild from kingdom to kingdom. If, however, it covers most of the world, the picture should be radically different.

It isn't all needless fluff, though. I remember the seasons playing an important role in Myth Official Campaign with the winter stalling the conflict for several months after the snow covered the Cloudspine passes, separating the Eastern and the Western Empires and cutting the Fallen Lords from their reinforcements.

Don't know how relevant it might be to the dwarven kingdom, though. Which is probably why I am asking. :)

Besides, what about the age of our characters? Do they celebrate birthdays in Mythverse? Are there any traditions or rites common to the Cath Bruig Empire? I'd assume not many people know the exact date of their birth, what with the most of the peasantry being illiterate (it is kind of interesting how all of our Circle members so far were literate, except for Tyrward and Ithapi - that should not be terribly common, I think). I wonder, how widespread the calendars are and if there is a system in place that allows even illiterate people to keep track of time.

Still it would be interesting how many of us know the day they were born. Amena and Ithapi probably have no memory of it, but Thais definitely should know hers. I am not sure about the rest of our group.

Would be nice to know if any of our team is due for a present any time soon. :)

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Well... as usual, when the update is not forthcoming, I start asking stupid questions. ;)

Just giving people time to vote if they wish to. Only five or six votes have actually been cast so far, so it seemed a little premature to call the vote. I won't have time to type up an update for thirty six to forty eight hours anyway so feel free to discuss or pepper me with questions.

Speaking of which, current tally:

Nevill: Dii
Baltika9: Dx
Grimgravy: A
asxetos: Di
Jester: Dii
Kz3r0: Dii

Dii: 3 votes
Di: 1 vote
A: 1 vote
D unspecified: 1 vote

Nevill said:
What is the current year, month and day?

A fair question as I don't think I have given any real information on that. Myth II Soulblighter ended on May 4, 2541 AE with the defeat of the 'last' of the Fallen Lords. The Prologue of the CYOA begins essentially a year later in late April/early May before the Heron Guard hold their tournament and the grand bazaar happens in the city (as a reminder the Guard have actually pushed back the tournament to the autumn harvest instead of the spring harvest due to complications arising from events that occurred during the Prologue).

Now the Prologue took a week as mentioned, the first chapter lasted essentially a month, the interlude was another two months and this chapter has been about three so far so the exact date is November 11, 2542 AE (and hopefully I did not screw that up during any of the updates ;)).

Nevill said:
How big is the known Mythverse and are all of its lands equally affected by the seasons' change?

No one knows how big the Mythverse is. The known lands consist of everything on this map:

ubermap.jpg

Beyond that no one is certain (or at least not anyone Derryth has ever asked).

As far as I can tell the known lands are essentially Europe (though certainly bigger it seems) so you can expect continental European climates in the Province, Gower, the southern and central Ermine and the Empire proper for the most part.

However the east has also been seriously damaged by magic so the Barrier is mostly badlands and Yer-Ks has the great misfortune of sharing Britain's weather. :lol:

The Kingdom has always been mostly desert and can be quite hot at times. The Duns and Strainer of Kraken have shorter growing seasons as well.

The Trow lands tend to be mostly desert as well.

Winter will be coming soon to most of the known lands though the Dwarven Kingdom will largely be spared snowfall and the like (except on the taller mountain ranges).

Nevill said:
Besides, what about the age of our characters?

According to my notes (which I made at the end of Chapter 1 when it was clear this CYOA was going to have a longer run):

Derryth, Thaïs, Gareth and Serpent are all the same age roughly. Gareth is oldest and is about 29. Derryth and Thaïs are both 28. Serpent is 27.

Meletē is in between (at about 25 according to Thaïs) as is Caoilainn though you don't know exactly how old she is. Lyssa is also likely younger than you but she has not said how old she is.

Christine and Brigit are younger than the rest and are about the same age. They are both in their early twenties. Brigit is 23 and Christine has not seen fit to tell you her exact age.

Amena is around 18 or 19.

Ithapi is around 17 or 18.

Biliku is 14.

Uttu is 12.

Nevill said:
Do they celebrate birthdays in Mythverse?

Yes.

Nevill said:
Are there any traditions or rites common to the Cath Bruig Empire?

The equinoxes and solstices are celebrated throughout human lands and there are often festivals and the like that go with them. There are also a number of days sacred to specific gods/spirits that are observed by followers of particular faiths but nothing that is common throughout the entire empire.

May 4 is considered a (new) holiday as well to mark Alric's defeat of the 'last of the Fallen Lords' and the 'eternal triumph of the Light'.

Nevill said:
I'd assume not many people know the exact date of their birth, what with the most of the peasantry being illiterate

Births are recorded by local officials on the Emperor's orders. So any peasant should know at least the week/time of the month they were born in even if they can not count the exact days.

Nevill said:
it is kind of interesting how all of our Circle members so far were literate, except for Tyrward and Ithapi - that should not be terribly common, I think

That is correct, your group is certainly not typical for the setting. Adventurers make up only a small proportion of the population and mages are even rarer so it is not that surprising that the majority of your people are literate while most in the setting are not.

Nevill said:
I wonder, how widespread the calendars are and if there is a system in place that allows even illiterate people to keep track of time.

The Empire makes use of rather impressive and accurate solar and lunar calendars so anyone with the necessary training and resources should be able to track the days quite accurately.

Nevill said:
Still it would be nice to know about those of us who know the day they were born.

Sure, you know the dates of many of the characters (I got a little clever/lazy when I was fleshing out their biographies as you can probably see):

Tyrvard was born on January 7th if you were wondering he was in his early thirties when he died.
Gareth was born January 9th.
Meletē was born on January 12th.
Derryth was born January 15 as was Thaïs.
Serpent was born January 16 and so was Lyssa.

Clearly it must be fate or destiny that brought so many people with such similar birth days together... almost like there was another process at work there...

Brigit was born March 23rd.
Biliku was born December 5th.
Uttu was born February 7th.

Ithapi and Amena do not know and Eris did not let them celebrate birthdays anyway so the entire idea would be foreign to them.

Christine has not told you her birthday.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
(and hopefully I did not screw that up during any of the updates).
Well, wouldn't it be awesome if the updates came with a date? You know, like the missions in the original games. "Monday August 25, Near Willow Creek". Would give the CYOA that extra Myth-y feel.

Well, as long as our characters know what day it is, anyway.

Not only it would be good for consistency purposes, but it might also alleviate many of the questions about the timeframe, like when is the next window for Melete's ritual, or when is our reunion due, or when does the Seekers' contract expire. I think it might be worth it.

May 4 is considered a (new) holiday as well to mark Alric's defeat of the 'last of the Fallen Lords' and the 'eternal triumph of the Light'.
Do dwarves have holidays of note?

Tyrvard was born on January 7th if you were wondering he was in his early thirties when he died.
Gareth was born January 9th.
Meletē was born on January 12th.
Derryth was born January 15 as was Thaïs.
Serpent was born January 16 and so was Lyssa.
Whoa. For real? We need to be done with the enemies of the kingdom in two month, then, it would not do to lead armies in battle when you are hungover for two weeks straight. :lol:

Clearly it must be fate or destiny that brought so many people with such similar birth days together... almost like there was another process at work there.
"The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his death he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passing. So sayeth the wise Alaundo." :P :salute:

Ithapi and Amena do not know and Eris did not let them celebrate birthdays anyway so the entire idea would be foreign to them.
This will not stand. :outrage:

We will introduce the date when they were freed as their new birthday. Uh... when was it, late June, early July? Make it July the 4th, then!

Hmm... I wonder how Nine would go about this. :lol: Having several birthdays is tempting, but do you really want to celebrate your 2567th year? Guess she might choose to become a 'newborn' as well.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I won't have time to type up an update for thirty six to forty eight hours anyway so feel free to discuss or pepper me with questions.
Okay, I'll take you up on that offer.

I feel that the next question becomes more and more relevant with every new chapter. With our ever-growing team we need a proper way to establish some criteria to filter the newcomers.

So, without further ado... where are our characters located on the hotness scale? Where all of the characters are on the hotness scale?

Naturally, 'hotness' is relative, especially when different species are involved, so we need some universal system of measurment. I heard Morpheus is the most non-discriminating being we know of, what's with him knoking the Spider Goddess up.

Therefore, I want to know the relative hotness (measured as per Morpheus' Universal Beauty and/or Handsomeness Scale) of the following (sorted by allegiance):
- Members of the Circle of the Lost, active and provisional - Derryth, Thaïs, Lyssa, Biliku, Uttu, Tyrvard, Gareth, Brigit, Amena, Ithapi, Serpent, Christine, Kara, Meletē and Caoilainn
- Associates of the Lost - Bari, Astrid, Ori, Ceannard, Nephila (for Ceannard's sake if she ever accepts his invitation), Argus, Berty, Mayer, Neel, Kaf, Skite and Myora
- Kids of the Lost - our future hopes, Maya, Anansi, Iktomi, Areop-Enap, Holda, Saule and the rest
- Pets of the Lost - can't forget our animal allies, Jatayu, Ocypete, Aquila, Calaeno, Mirra, Poppy and Martin
- Renowned figures - Alric (we probably saw him on a portrait at least once), his wife (if we've seen her anywhere), Albrecht, Eleanor, Nanshe, The Thin White Mage, Nine, The Faceless, The Watcher, The Deceiver, Mazzarin, The Spider Goddess (if we have ever seen her depictions by the cultists), Morpheus (and his two brothers if Lyssa knows how they look) and maybe some Druid or fir'Bolg or Berserk figureheads if we have ever heard of them.

What? You'll never know who ends up in our harem!

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
E - Find Janine and present the letter from Albrecht to get her and any one else present to help us break into the lab under authority of the crown. Say we tried asking Jan but he ran away during an interview.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom