Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Fangshi, who can we expect to catch in our trap with Aii if it is found? Who in the undead army would be proficient enough to try and dismantle the trap or otherwise tamper with it? I would assume the mindless undead would not have the skill to do it. So that leaves us... ghols? Shades?

You have no idea what you will catch if anything. Presumably mindless undead will not be able to use the structure so if it is fired then you will likely kill mages, beyond that though you know nothing.

Nevill said:
Are Soulless more vulnerable to the Strong Wind than the ground forces, seeing how they are floating and there is no friction to help them steady themselves? Can we blow them off the ridge?

They are easier to push but since they float they won't really fall down. They will just slide around on the air currents.

Absinthe said:
Just leave 1D as is for now.

Sure. It will stay as is.

Nevill said:
Eh, I feel lucky today. Here is another proposition for a trap.

Added Aiii and Aiv.

Current Tally:

archaen:
1.Ai, 2.C, 3.ABD

Azira:
1.Aiii, 2.A, 3.BDE

Nevill:
1.Aiii>Aii 2.A 3.BD

Absinthe:
1.D, 2.C, 3.ABD

Grimgravy:
1.D>Aii, 2.A, 3.BDE

Jester:
1.E, 2.C, 3.ABD

Kz3r0:
1.Aii, 2.C, 3.ABD

A)
i. 1 vote
ii. 1 (3) vote(s)
iii. 2 votes
iv.
B)
C)
D) 2 votes
E) 1 vote

A) 3 votes
B)
C) 4 votes

A) 4/7 votes
B) 7/7 votes
C)
D) 7/7 votes
E) 2/7 votes

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
I'll flop to 2C if we put the book in a box and then cover it with lead instead of it being a stealth 2B. +M

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
When did the lead become the all-powerful element that does everything? Much like in real life, the lead only blocks radiation (and therefore, some of the signals). It does not have magical or anti-magical properties... or at least we don't know if it does.

The Watcher's stones serve as a channel to the archmage's consciousness, so there was merit in trying to block the connection.

This time, though, I think we are overdoing it. Not that I mind. I just find it funny. :M

I wonder if tin foil would work for the same purposes. :D

images

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
I was just worried that the TWM is using it as a phylactery or a gate/scrying focus. If it is the first he is reincarnating in the fort unless we destroy it. If he can use it for the latter than we can try to block it with the lead box so all he can see is darkness or can't get a good end point.

Nevill

Arcane
Yeah, a scrying focus or a trap spell that would activate on command, that I might believe in. A phylactery, though, is stretching it.

I'd put it in the box, rig it with a bomb it case anything tries to open it, warn everyone not to open it, and put in somewhere safe, like the treasury. That should take care of most of the threats.

Keep it simple. If there really is a thing as a magic-o-meter which will trigger once a spell is cast, great! If not, rig it to weight? Too many variables will screw us over.
You might want to clarify your vote. You are counted as Aiii because of an earlier remark. :)

Is everyone in agreement how the retreat should be conducted if we go with any of the A options?

archaen

Cipher
Patron
I'd put it in the box, rig it with a bomb it case anything tries to open it, warn everyone not to open it, and put in somewhere safe, like the treasury. That should take care of most of the threats.

If no one else minds I'd like to add those steps to 2C.

Absinthe

Arcane
I'll flop to 2C if we put the book in a box and then cover it with lead instead of it being a stealth 2B. +M
Sure. I have no objection to this. I don't think any of the other C voters would, either.

Nevill, as for Aiii, I am still opposed to the rolling retreat. It's been established by now that the watcher's army is just going to charge into us suicidally, they can outrun us, and they definitely outnumber us, so this seems too dangerous for comfort to me.

Fangshi, I'd like to set up 1D so that we send the slower forces ahead while we do this and leave chariots for our own small crew that's going to cast/detonate/gtfo.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Where and when did we establish anything of a kind? Not a word have been said on what the Watcher's army is going to do.

And it looks like we are going with Aii for now, so dangerous or not, we should think how we want to play this. Besides, we've already told the Pathfinders to mine some of the passages.

They can't outrun the chariots. They can try and ambush them due to their floating abilities, but they can't outrun them.

Why do we need lead at all in this case? :)

The fort has only so much lead to scavenge.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Absinthe said:
Fangshi, lets set up 1D so that we send the slower forces ahead while we do this and leave chariots for our own small crew that's going to cast/detonate/gtfo.

Sure, I can add that change.

Nevill said:

archaen said:

I can certainly make those changes if no one objects.

I will also need to know whether or not everyone still wants it to be a lead box.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
I'm still up for a lead box if we have enough left over from covering the staff. The staff is way more important to have the lead shielding if we have to choose.

Nevill

Arcane
Once again I'll have to ask everyone who is voting for a 'trap' plan (either directly, or as a secondary vote) that has us risk engaging the enemy vanguard to clarify how they see our retreat - as a whole unit, as two separate teams assisted by the chariots, or as a single team mounted on the chariots with the caveat that we send some of the forces ahead.

As we are outnumbered 40 to 1 with archmages and whatnot, this question appears to be very relevant.

Grimgravy, Azira, Kz3r0 - any thoughts on the matter?

Perhaps this might even be a separate choice, seeing how some of the other voters expressed interest in this topic as well, even though their options are less time sensitive.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Once again I'll have to ask everyone who is voting for a 'trap' plan (either directly, or as a secondary vote) that has us risk engaging the enemy vanguard to clarify how they see our retreat - as a whole unit, as two separate teams assisted by the chariots, or as a single team mounted on the chariots with the caveat that we send some of the forces ahead.

As we are outnumbered 40 to 1 with archmages and whatnot, this question appears to be very relevant.

Grimgravy, Azira, Kz3r0 - any thoughts on the matter?

Perhaps this might even be a separate choice, seeing how some of the other voters expressed interest in this topic as well, even though their options are less time sensitive.
As a single team mounted on the chariots with the caveat that we send some of the forces ahead.
In fact, trap the 'magic cannon' and get the fuck away from there.

Fangshi

Arcane
archaen said:
I'm still up for a lead box if we have enough left over from covering the staff. The staff is way more important to have the lead shielding if we have to choose.

Alright, as long as there is no opposition you will cover the box in lead provided there is enough remaining lead.

Nevill said:

If there is a difference in opinion on how to do the withdrawal then I will add another question and bump the update back by a day to give everyone time to vote.

If everyone agrees on how to retreat then it should not be necessary and I will close the voting in about twelve hours. If I do then an update will come within sixteen hours of that.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I'd prefer a simple retreat over one with complex timing. As a single team mounted on the chariots with the caveat that we send some of the forces ahead sounds good to me.

Fangshi

Arcane
So the winning options are:

3. A,B,D

Lyssa will prepare the Foci, she will also help you research animal training while Berty and the Pathfinders will help with building you bombs that can be teleported.

2. C

You will keep the book but secure. Lead box, trap, the works.

And 1...

Well we have a tie for 1 between Aiii and D.

I will check back later to see if it is resolved.

Nevill

Arcane
Wait, what tie? It was 3 votes for Aii and 2 votes for D.
Ah, I see. Azira was still counted as Aiii. At least now we can blame him.

Frankly, even I am not sure if Aiii is good enough, since it has a chance of not triggering at all (while Aii has a chance of not catching any mages if the trap is discovered).

In that case, please consider 'GTFO as soon as possible' as more important than 'inflict maximum damage', as all three voters have agreed to it.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, well so much for not following the tallies. Yep. I was an Aii supporter all along, just mentioned I found the notion of fleeing on the chariots while pelting the opposition amusing.

I'll take the blame if everything works out fine. If not, blame Grimgravy :troll:

Nevill

Arcane
Well, the votes are not yet closed. You might still consider it. :)

The way I see it, Aiii has more chances that our main trap will work, at a cost that if it doesn't, the building will be left standing and it might make our lives harder than they need to be. Aii, as archaen have noted, is more probable to get noticed, but it will almost certainly detonate when they send someone to disarm the trap. Unfortunately, there is no way to ensure that this someone will be a mage, and not a ghol or a mercenary if they have them.

I find the possibility to catch 8 mages at once as they cast their spell very tempting, even when taking the risks into a consideration.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Grimgravy said:
Aiii is good enough for me. Flop me to that.

Alright, updated.

Azira said:
Yeah, well so much for not following the tallies. Yep. I was an Aii supporter all along, just mentioned I found the notion of fleeing on the chariots while pelting the opposition amusing.

Sorry about that, I will update the tally.

Current Tally:

archaen:
1.Ai, 2.C, 3.ABD

Azira:
1.Aii, 2.A, 3.BDE

Nevill:
1.Aiii>Aii 2.A 3.BD

Absinthe:
1.D, 2.C, 3.ABD

Grimgravy:
1.Aiii, 2.A, 3.BDE

Jester:
1.E, 2.C, 3.ABD

Kz3r0:
1.Aii, 2.C, 3.ABD

A)
i. 1 vote
ii. 2 votes
iii. 2 votes
iv.
B)
C)
D) 1 vote
E) 1 vote

A) 3 votes
B)
C) 4 votes

A) 4/7 votes
B) 7/7 votes
C)
D) 7/7 votes
E) 2/7 votes

So now we have...

Another tie. :lol:

With two votes for Aii and two votes for Aiii.

I will check back later I suppose.

:troll:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Fangshi I'll flop Aiii. The TWM isn't here and he is the one most likely to look for traps in traps. I have this vision of him getting back just in time to watch all his allies go up like a Roman candle. One can hope.

Nevill

Arcane
Wait! Before we put the journal away, might I request that we keep that single page to ourselves? It isn't warded or otherwise dangerous by itself, and I might have an idea of how to use it. :)

Fangshi

Arcane
Alright, Aiii wins. The update should be up within sixteen hours as soon as I have a moment.

Nevill said:
Wait! Before we put the journal away, might I request that we keep that single page to ourselves? It isn't warded or otherwise dangerous by itself, and I might have an idea of how to use it. :)

Sure, you can keep it if there are no objections.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I only flopped to avoid the reported tie. Seems that actually led to a tie? The vote by archaen absolves me of all responsibility for negative results. Yay! Though I will follow the good Azira and take credit should things work out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom