Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Heh, so the Arrows actually make the backbone of our forces? I am glad we brought them along.

Did we get a glimpse at how powerful are the other two mages with the Watcher's Creature?

How far away is that pavilion? Outside of a mortar range, I presume? How far ahead the advance party is from the bulk of their forces? Essentially, how much time we have to do damage and retreat before the rest will catch up?

Can a mortar be loaded up on a chariot for quick transportation? What does an illumination shell do?

Are there any tacticians in our employ other than Berty? What do they think about our chances to outwait the siege with all the people we have?

What about our food and water supplies?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Did we get a glimpse at how powerful are the other two mages with the Watcher's Creature?

He is the only one casting so you do not know how powerful they are. You assume they are mages because they have staves and wear robes (one is dressed in a sort of god awful fuchsia and the other wears copper robes). There may be other mages there as well but if there are then they have the common sense not to dress like a clown threw up on them. :lol:

Nevill said:
How far away is that pavilion? Outside of a mortar range, I presume? How far ahead the advance party is from the bulk of their forces? Essentially, how much time we have to do damage and retreat before the rest will catch up?

Yes, it is well out of mortar range.

The advance party is maybe thirty to forty minutes from the fort. The army is still likely a few hours away from the fort, maybe three or four when you take into account the trouble they will have getting those wagons through some of the passes and valleys leading up to your position.

Nevill said:
Can a mortar be loaded up on a chariot for quick transportation? What does an illumination shell do?

These are the handheld models that you see in the game so I don't see why not, they are fairly compact.

Nevill said:
Are there any tacticians in our employ other than Berty? What do they think about our chances to outwait the siege with all the people we have?

Well Berty is not great at proper 'stand up' fights. Some of the other tutors you could have hired could tell you (and could do a lot to increase the strength of your defense) but he is not really sure if the fort can hold out or not. Nor is he sure what you can do beyond the obvious to hold it. He thinks it might be fine but it simply is not his field of expertise.

Myora is probably the most knowledgeable person you have when it comes to standard warfare operations and she too is largely out of her depth. She knows it is a good defensive position but she does not know if it will be enough.

Ceannard, as an archer and commander of archers, would prefer to stay behind the fort's walls but you have paid for his services so he will go wherever you want and he is no military tactician really.

The Pathfinders just want a good fight, they don't care where it is.

Nevill said:
What about our food and water supplies?

You have food for two months stored at the fort and the fort has a well connected to a natural underground reservoir.

As long as someone does not poison either you should not starve or die of thirst.

Nevill

Arcane
Are there some secret passages to the Fort? Some ways for a person to sneak in once the siege begins?

I've heard the dwarves have air baloons. They used one to drop a party of heroes behind the Cloudspine to rescue Alric from the enemy camp in the first war. Does Albrecht have one of those to drop some reinforcements in? How long will it take?

We should have asked to bring in some generals. :negative:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Are there some secret passages to the Fort? Some ways for a person to sneak in once the siege begins?

Yes, there is an escape passage that connects to a maze of tunnels that run throughout the mountain. At the moment you have it under heavy guard in case something tries to come in through it. You could also fill it in should you wish.

Nevill said:
I've heard the dwarves have air baloons. They used one to drop a party of heroes behind the Cloudspine to rescue Alric from the enemy camp in the first war. Does Albrecht have one of those to drop some reinforcements in? How long will it take?

Yes, the dwarves have a handful of hot air balloons (six that are functional). Most of them are kept safely at the Royal Academy for similar reasons that mortars are highly regulated (no one wants some loon to fly over their fort and start bombing them. :lol: )

As king, Albrecht could mobilize them if the Lords free his hand to do so. If they are used then they should be able to reach the fort in under a day and each can carry about a dozen dwarves at full capacity.

Nevill

Arcane
Can't some unidentified hooligans (also known as Pathfinders) requisition a baloon for a ride to Stoneheim and also drop a tactician on our fort while they are at it? :lol:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Can't some unidentified hooligans (also known as Pathfinders) requisition a baloon for a ride to Stoneheim and also drop a tactician on our fort while they are at it? :lol:

Break into the Royal Academy and steal a balloon? Well it would not be the first time. :lol:

Yeah, they probably could but now they would have to make their way back to Myrgard and past the enemy vanguard. It would probably take a few days.

Nevill

Arcane
Yes, there is an escape passage that connects to a maze of tunnels that run throughout the mountain. At the moment you have it under heavy guard in case something tries to come in through it. You could also fill it in should you wish.
Is that the one Nanshe sneaked her ghols through? Meaning the enemy knows where the tunnels are and how to navigate them? Because they have collapsed that one.

Or did they get in through some other way?

Yeah, they probably could but now they would have to make their way back to Myrgard and past the enemy vanguard.
Wait, we didn't take all of the Pathfinders with us, did we? Why do they need to return to Myrgard, don't they have acquaintances back there? It takes an eagle about 6 hours to get to the city.

Eh, it was more of a crack idea in the first place. But if we want to wait it out until the Army arrives, it might be worth a shot.

Fangshi

Arcane
The one Nanshe came in through was specifically dug for that purpose and has been collapsed.

No the escape tunnel is the one Rand used to get out of the fort after it fell. Jawbone and at least some of the other dwarves did not make it to the passage in time.

As far as you know, your enemies do not know about this particular tunnel and would not be able to easily find it without a guide of some sort.

Nevill said:
Wait, we didn't take all of the Pathfinders with us, did we? Why do they need to return to Myrgard, don't they have acquaintances back there? It takes an eagle about 6 hours to get to the city.

Eh, it was more of a crack idea in the first place. But if we want to wait it out until the Army arrives, it might be worth a shot.

Bari took all the agents he knew would be willing to help him out without much of an explanation (everyone at that safehouse essentially). He also cleared out all of the stock in the safehouse (without getting clearance to do so).

If they live through this they are going to have a lot of paperwork to do.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
No the escape tunnel is the one Rand used to get out of the fort after it fell. Jawbone and at least some of the other dwarves did not make it to the passage in time.
That reminds me.

How many bodies of our men we've found? How many are confirmed dead? Maybe there were survivors, after all?

Does anyone else in the company know how to navigate the tunnels? Maybe Neel? Is there a map somewhere?

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
How many bodies of our men we've found? How many are confirmed killed? Maybe there were survivors, after all?

You think eight bodies. Some are a bit difficult to identify but you are certain it is around eight (give or take one or two).

Nevill said:
Does anyone else in the company know how to navigate the tunnels? Maybe Neel? Is there a map somewhere?

No, only Jawbone and Rand knew the tunnels well.

There may be a map somewhere in Jawbone's papers or Rand's offices. I did not have Derryth search Rand's property as it would make it more difficult to convince him to come back should you wish to try. However let me know and I can add it as an option. It would take time however.

Nevill

Arcane
Alright, guys. So here are my thoughts.

The advance party and the pavilion are an obvious trap. Or, should we say, it is an invitation by the White Mage. There are very few reasons why they could not have waited for the main army to arrive and then start the construction. There are only two explanations I see - either it is something urgent, or they are drawing us out. And seeing how this siege may last for weeks, I don't quite understand why there would be any rush. Besides, fifty thralls and forty Soulless look like a completely negligible force, just asking for a pre-emptive strike.

We have to expect that they are heavy on mages.

If so, we should bring some archers with us, as they can outrun and outgun the mages given the chance. We should also bring in a mortar, as it is a great equalizer between the casters and those who are less proficient in the Art. Chariots would not be out of place, too, since we can't use them in the Fort anyway. Who exactly gets an assignment is a question that can be discussed later.

The plan is to get rid of the White Mage and to thin out the ranks of the other mages as well. The problem is that so far the only way to get rid of the Mage was to play a trick on him. He is too powerful to overwhelm him in a fair fight.

So I propose the Avian Assault Plan, since the sky is finally clear of the crows. While we are busy fighting their vanguard, one of Lyssa's eagles equipped with a spell ring with something powerful in it would soar in the sky, well beyound the spell range. When the time is right, we give it a signal (say, Uttu's flare in the enemy faces, which can also - probably? - blind them, giving us an additional advantage), whereupon it dives on the enemy from behind at top speed and unleashes the spell at the Mage while we do our best to distract him. As we have never before used our eagles for anything but scouting, there is no way he would be able to see it coming. Eagle casters should be too advanced a tactics even for him. Not to mention he does not know about the rings - yet.

Once the White Mage falls, I believe we'll have a much easier time cleaning up the rest and withdrawing back to the Fort.

So, how about it, folks? Yes, no, possibly?

No, only Jawbone and Rand knew the tunnels well.
Hmph. Can Neel track Rand's trail if it comes to it?

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Hmph. Can Neel track Rand's trail if it comes to it?

Rand is a professional and he is traveling along stone paths. It might be possible though, Neel is quite good. If you want to send him in you can certainly try.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Alright, guys. So here are my thoughts.
So, how about it, folks? Yes, no, possibly?

Looks good. Though, it sucks wasting resources to take out the White mage again just for him to be back the next day but he is the one that can do the most damage to our forces. I don't think we have hit him with a greater energy bolt yet so we may be able to gimp him with it this one time. I expect in the future for it to not work as well.

Send out mice to scout army while we take care of the forward force.

I don't like sending Neel after Rand due to the possibility that he is a traitor. We would either have to send Neel to assassinate Rand or risk Rand attacking Neel when he tries to talk to him. We also lose our best tracker for an unknown amount of time. I am more inclined to seal the tunnels up.

My picks for troops:
Lyssa, Derryth, and Thais. I want them together for the magic resistance boost it gives.
Utto, Billiku, and Berty
Lyssa's Eagle with a greater energy bolt ring
All Pathfinders with their mortars loaded onto two separate chariots with drivers.
Ceannard and half his archers. The other half left in overwatch on walls.
Neel and his scouts infiltrate to a flank and don't engage unless we need cover to escape.
Ten chariots loaded with royal guards.

This is a fast attack group with a lot of offense. Can retreat if things go sideways.

Nevill

Arcane
I don't like sending Neel after Rand due to the possibility that he is a traitor.
Well, I was more concerned about if we can lead our people to safety through the tunnels if things go messy. That's a hell of a lot of forces the Watcher have brought to our doorstep.

If we don't want to escape through the tunnels and are not expecting any reinforcements from there, we might be better off collapsing them so that we need not post guards around the exit. Every man counts now.

The troops listed sound good, if - maybe? - a bit excessive. But it may be for the best - I don't want to find out they have a surprise for us when we don't have enough forces to deal with it.

Do we need more grenadiers to go with it? We have two mortars along with Bari and Astrid. Fangshi, do all of the Pathfinders know how to operate a mortar?

Make it an official C.

I'd also consult Myora and Berty to see if there are any obvious holes in the plan that aren't apparent at first glance to a non-military person. At the very least, have them tell us if the force composition is any good.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi, how far away is the advance party from a nearest 'killing zone' our grenadiers have set up?

What would it take to lure the enemy there? Especially the mages.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Fangshi, do all or the Pathfinders know how to operate a mortar?

Yes.

Nevill said:
Fangshi, how far away is the advance party from a nearest 'killing zone' our grenadiers have set up?

What would it take to lure the enemy there? Especially the mages.

Quite a ways off actually. The kill zones were set up with cocktails and arrows in mind and the enemy is well out of mortar range so you would have to lure them quite far. You would have to come up with a plan to get them much closer.

Nevill said:
I'd also consult Myora and Berty to see if there are any obvious holes in the plan that aren't apparent at first glance to a non-military person. At the very least, have them tell us if the force composition is any good.

Berty thinks it looks fine at first glance. He can not see any real glaring weakesses though he does suggest that you leave space on the chariots for you and Thaïs to escape quickly if you have to. If the worst comes about you can abandon the infantry and make for the fort. Derryth and Thaïs are unwilling to do that though unless there is also room for Biliku and Uttu to escape. They will not abandon the girls.

Myora does not like how 'soft' your force is (you suspect that, that is her way of saying she wishes you would bring her with you) but you explain that you need speed and ranged fire power more than anything else and she does agree that the force you have put together certainly has those two attributes.

Nevill said:
Make it an official C.

So that is your 'Avian Assault Plan' with archaen's force list?

GreyViper

Prophet
C
Stay defensive, but let the pathfinders out to cause mayhem behind enemy lines. With crows gone they should be good and time it with a strike against the mage it should be glorious. BUT Im curious if Lyssa has enough know how, to redo the runes nine had and could it be done on the white mage, if he got subdued and the decapitated?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Yes. The mages are a priority, though we'll take what we can get.

Added as C.

GreyViper said:
C
Stay defensive, but let the pathfinders out to cause mayhem behind enemy lines. With crows gone they should be good and time it with a strike against the mage it should be glorious.

Added as D.

GreyViper said:
BUT Im curious if Lyssa has enough know how, to redo the runes nine had and could it be done on the white mage, if he got subdued and the decapitated?

I like it, but the spell Faceless used to seal Nine is out of your league at the moment.

However that gives Derryth an idea, a wonderful, horrible, clever idea. :lol:

Derryth and Thaïs know the anti-shadow runes and the protective runes. The one stops Shadows (which are essentially energy), the other stops matter (keeps out all but those that are keyed to it).

If you could find a way to keep him from dissolving when he dies, you could cut off his head and shove it in a box that has modified shadow runes and protective runes on it. If you can make the runes powerful enough you should be able to keep him trapped in there and unable to cast. You would achieve the same end that Faceless did only through brute force instead of finesse.

You will need to come up with a way to keep him from turning to dust and you will need to create a box that could hold him and properly enchant it. This would take time and research but it would give you a way to contain him until more permanent arrangements can be made.

Kz3r0

Arcane
C

However here my take, blitz in with the chariots loaded with grenadiers, rain down cocktails and quickly retreat, then bombard them with the mortars that have took position in the rear prior to the charge, at this point use blinding and stunning grenades, that will be the ante for TWO eagles charging from above uleashing greater energy bolt stored in the rings, the White Mage is a sure target the other should be another mage of choice or possibly a group of them.

Fangshi

Arcane
Kz3r0l said:
However here my take, blitz in with the chariots loaded with grenadiers, rain down cocktails and quickly retreat, then bombard them with the mortars that have took position in the rear prior to the charge, at this point use blinding and stunning grenades, that will be the ante for TWO eagles charging from above unleashing greater energy bolt stored in the rings, the White Mage is a sure target the other should be another mage of choice or possibly a group of them.

Sure, I can make those alterations if there are no objections from the other C voters, otherwise I can add it as a separate E.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Kz3r0l said:
However here my take, blitz in with the chariots loaded with grenadiers, rain down cocktails and quickly retreat, then bombard them with the mortars that have took position in the rear prior to the charge, at this point use blinding and stunning grenades, that will be the ante for TWO eagles charging from above unleashing greater energy bolt stored in the rings, the White Mage is a sure target the other should be another mage of choice or possibly a group of them.

Sure, I can make those alterations if there are no objections from the other C voters, otherwise I can add it as a separate E.

I am not sure I want to get close enough to the White Mage and his fellows for us to throw molotovs at his forces. Seems like a good way to lose all our chariots. My plan was to use the chariots as a screen for our archers and artillery.

I would do double eagles with the rings however. We could try to hit all three mages at once. Thais and Derryth cast and the eagles strike with the rings.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Lyssa can cast too, but we should also have archers on the enemy (mage and otherwise) so they don't pay too much attention to our eagles.

Fangshi, can we use that Strengthen Will ritual before we go in?

Fangshi

Arcane
Absinthe said:
Fangshi, can we use that Strengthen Will ritual before we go in?

The prep time might be a bit of a problem with Strengthen Will. If your aim is to go for a quick and powerful strike the ladies would recommend against it.

It is certainly something you could prepare for should the siege drag out though. It might be worth doing/preparing for if you think the fort is going to be attacked at some point before help can arrive as it would give you greater control over your spells and would reduce the strain each casting has on your mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom