Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mystery solved? "Anonymous industry source" reveals unpaid royalties as reason for BG:EE takedown

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Atari; Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition; beamdog; Overhaul Games

Last month, we learned that due to unspecified "contractual issues" with Atari, former Bioware developer Trent Oster and his company, Beamdog, had been forbidden from independently selling Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and from developing its sequel. Today, a newspost at GameBanshee seems to finally set the record straight on why exactly this occurred. I quote:

Two weeks ago we reported that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition was pulled at Atari's request, and also noted that Atari was selling the title on Steam themselves. Now that we have been contacted by an industry source that requested to remain anonymous, we might know why.​

Apparently Beamdog hasn't paid Atari the royalties that they were owed, which led the publisher to ask them to pull the title from their services, and delay both Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition's patch and the release of the sequel's remastering.​

However it has to be noted that the circumstances surrounding this aren't clear at all. Something like Atari informally telling Beamdog that they could delay payment is hardly out of the realm of possibilities, but right now we have no elements to assume that, and this amounts to pure speculation.​

We contacted both Atari and Beamdog to comment on this. While, as of this posting, Atari hasn't gotten back to us, Beamdog president Trent Oster reiterated that they're working with Atari to resolve this dispute, though he wouldn't confirm or deny whether what we heard from our source is true.​

We'll let you know if we hear more news, and I'm certain I echo the sentiments of the GameBanshee staff at large when I say my hope is that this gets resolved sooner rather than later.​

Tsk tsk, Beamdog. I certainly hope this was all a big misunderstanding and not an attempt to make an easy buck off of a dying publisher.
    Konjad, Jaesun, zappater and 2 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  2. Sensuki Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands
    I'm gonna go with option #2: dodgy beamdog
    ^ Top  
  3. Diablo169 Erudite

Diablo169
    They sat there harping on about making Baldur's Gate 3 when they hadn't even paid Atari royalties for the first game. :lol:
    Konjad Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  4. himmy Arcane

himmy
  5. idonthavetimeforthiscrap Vocal User Patron

idonthavetimeforthiscrap
    Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Reading the title, i thought that "Anonymous industry source" was something out of 4chan.

anyway, i'll agree that
    Kattze, Dexter, Excidium and 2 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  6. Lagole Gon Arcane

Lagole Gon
    They fucked Baldur's Gate like a cheap hooker and didn't even pay for it :(
    Konjad, Grunker and serch Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  7. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    The lovely STD that they've caught from her is sufficient repayment.
    ^ Top  
  8. tindrli Liturgist

tindrli
    ehem. i come from the third world country and i have never heard about term pay royalities :? can anyone explain what is that ??
    ^ Top  
  9. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    Sort of like how you have to bribe the cops if you don't want to be arrested for doing nothing wrong.
    ^ Top  
  10. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Beamdog weren't paying Atari the percentage they owed off of each copy of BG:EE they sold.
    ^ Top  
  11. idonthavetimeforthiscrap Vocal User Patron

idonthavetimeforthiscrap
    i have an idea
    you want to use that idea to make money
    i say "sure, you can use my idea, but since it's mine, i want a percentage on what you earn"
    that percentage is royalties
    (more or less)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royalties
    ^ Top  
  12. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Waiting for Trent's butthurt spin on this news. "Waaah, limiting my artistic expression!"
    ^ Top  
  13. Diablo169 Erudite

Diablo169
    Reaction on the official forums is awsome

:what:
    ^ Top  
  14. Stabwound Magister

Stabwound
    As much as I want them to crash and burn, I see this as being pretty unlikely or some kind of misunderstanding. They had a contract for BG2:EE and I doubt they'd fuck it up by pulling a stunt like this.

Maybe there's some sort of butthurt from Beamdog about Atari selling the game directly themselves through Steam and other sources, because it was supposed to be a Beamdog exclusive. Who knows?
    ^ Top  
  15. tindrli Liturgist

tindrli
    got it.. i wonder.. does anyone knows how much atari wanted?? what is usual amount if such think exist anyway?? 1 %, 2 %??
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19702/gamebanshee-update-on-current-situation

The Muslim Brotherhood supports BG:EE [​IMG]
    Frian Bargo, Kattze, commie and 6 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  17. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    So, does anyone know what they actually did to become known as so caring?
    ^ Top  
  18. idonthavetimeforthiscrap Vocal User Patron

idonthavetimeforthiscrap
    fanbois
    fanbois are retarded by definition
    anything they say is probably not true
    ^ Top  
  19. Lagole Gon Arcane

Lagole Gon
    More like 6-12%
    But this is an unusual situation, so I don't know shit about shit.
    ^ Top  
  20. himmy Arcane

himmy

Finally, the endorsement I was waiting for. Got to give it a try now, I guess.
    Frian Bargo and Commissar Draco Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  21. mindx2 Arcane Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    :lol:
    ^ Top  
  22. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    They released a broken game, so they've patched it like a 100 times and makes the fanbois feel like it's improving.
    ^ Top  
  23. Grunker RPG Codex Staff Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Good to see you still hold the torch of decline high, GB :salute:
    ^ Top  
  24. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Most companies have the same automated software that generates such replies. FanBot, I think it's called.
    ^ Top  
  25. Ramireza Learned

Ramireza

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)