Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mysterious Castle 1.8 for Mac and Windows

eclectocrat

Novice
NEWS! Version 1.8 is now available free on Windows and OSX and "support indie games" ware on iOS.
Check it out at http://www.mysteriouscastle.com.

Hey,

I've been working on a game for about a year now, and I'm almost ready to share it with the world! It's a tactics like game set in a large and spooky castle/dungeon/forest, with most of the usual tactics like stuff (turn based, grid, 2.5D) plenty of roguelike features (field of vision, tile based lighting, large mazelike worlds) , and D20 inspired stats and skills (sneak, spot, pick lock, pick pocket, climb...).

It's coming out for iOS devices soon, and I'm looking for BETA testers. You can see screenies and apply for beta at mysteriouscastle.tumblr.com

Here's a screen to give you a gist of things. That's you and an old man looting a corpse. Geez, old men these days, no respect for the dead...

looting.jpg

curry

Arcane
Re: Mysterious Castle - Isometric Dungeon Crawl

Was excited until
eclectocrat said:
It's coming out for iOS devices soon

:x

Good luck with the project though. It looks like something that could sell.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I don't have an Apple either, but I really like the look of it. Jeff Vogel might have some competition...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I expected much better graphics from a game titled "Mysterious Castle". Also, it looks like pretty standard castle.
I'd expect something more elvish or Final Fantasy series-like from a "Mysterious Castle".

spectre

Arcane
Looks pretty good.

The fuck? iOS? The Central Country cannot into proper OS?

eclectocrat

Novice
yeah, I thought so...

I expected backlash against the iOS part of my post ;)

If it's any consolation it's going to be ported to just about every system imaginable, including Android, Symbian, Windoes, OSX, Linux and anywhere where there is a screen and GCC. I'm just starting with iOS because... well, that's where the money is and I'm pretty broke!

Destroid

Arcane
Living in China, if you game is even moderately successful it must make you pretty solid income?

The_Pope

Scholar
Looks pretty cool, but like everyone else in the thread I don't have an iphone.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
I like the look of it a lot. Does it contain enough of traps/riddles/puzzles/secrets to justify the game title, or is it just about killing things and finding loot? If the former, I'm very interested. But no iPhone here either.

EDIT: OK, I read some of your devlog at TIGSource, and I liked it. Furthermore, the picture on the website reminds me of Shadowgate. Consider me interested.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Now I have experimented with level progression, here's the scoop: killing monsters does NOT give you XP, except in rare circumstances. Instead you get XP for each tile of the map you see, and extra XP for handling certain items. This gives players the option of trying hard to get around combat, knowing that they won't miss out on any experience. I'd really like to encourage the alternative systems of overcoming obstacles, which right now consist of:

A) Skill such as pick lock, sneak, spot (hidden doors/levers)
B) Magic spells (I'll explain the spellcasting system at another time, but suffice to say that casting powerful spells requires some almost minigame level efforts, and they ARE powerful...)
C) Negotiation by carefully choosing conversation options

Sounds more and more promising. From the general tone of the screens, and the roguelike vibe I'd assumed it'd be combat focused. Conversation options and non-combat XP system sounds good.

Please do post an update when there's a PC or Linux version.

Shemar

Educated
mondblut said:
Blackadder said:
quasimodo said:
Post again when I can play it on a PC.
That.

Also that fact that it is even targetted to the iOS crowd (I have a Xoom but I'd never consider it an adequate platform for a serious game) does not bode well, but with a PC version, a representative demo and proper price point I will give it a fair chance.

zenbitz said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Does it feature tastefully done rape, though?

That's the part when you buy an iPad - you get tastfully raped.
I approve of this public service announcement.

eclectocrat

Novice
The response is the same everywhere:

Screw iOS, gimmie a PC version.

So... fine. The game is designed for touchscreens, it is at it's best on a touchscreen, but you can't fight the world. I'm making a demo version for Win/Mac/Linux right now. I'm trying to keep everything smooth and polished so it'll take some time, but there will be blasphemy...

LINUX RPG!
:what:

Don't hold your breath or anything, I just decided today...

eclectocrat said:

So... fine. The game is designed for touchscreens, it is at it's best on a touchscreen, but you can't fight the world. I'm making a demo version for Win/Mac/Linux right now. I'm trying to keep everything smooth and polished so it'll take some time, but there will be blasphemy...

LINUX RPG!
:what:

Don't hold your breath or anything, I just decided today...

Excellent.

However, don't give up on the other versions. The more you pump out, the greater the coverage. Apple is also a good area to target, with the dearth of decent games on that platform. There is a reason Jeff Vogel targets that market first and foremost.

Edit: Just saw the 'mac' part.

Shemar

Educated
eclectocrat said:

That is very interesting (and unsurprisingly pleasant), but could you define 'everywhere'?

You made a game for iOS. Did you present it to people who actually play games on iOS?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I bought two parts of Eschalon and finished them on linux. It'd be cool if there were more games supporting it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom