Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My Risen impressions

Do you agree?

• Yes

• No

• Mayhap

Results are only viewable after voting.

bloodlover

Arcane
Had to run out and forgot something to add to the above.

Another big issue I forgot to add (touched on in this thread) is how you need to play with a walkthrough not for hand holding reasons, but to keep the quest script fucks ups to minimum.

I wondered why I used one last time until I ran into an issue at the farm: Talked to grain quest guy, collected grain for him, handed it back to him, talked to pig guy, got kill wolves quest, talked to third novice who offered to take me to town, talked to the head of the farm who said third guy could take me there if I helped around the farm, went to kill wolves, came back and told head guy I did grain quest and got the offer to go to town, went to hand in kill wolf quest and found the wolf guy unresponsive leaving the kill wolf quest stuck on my quest list.

This wouldn't be such a big issue in a game with respawning mobs, but that isn't the case so the amount of exp to be had is fixed making these kinds of issues worse than they would be your average game.

Had to reload back to a save that took my back to when I met Jan and got the sword, about an hour in game but a few hours RL. No biggie for me, but I can see that wearing me down and getting me paranoid enough to use a walkthrough again if it keeps happening by just organically wandering around doing my own thing, not even going out of my way to break scripting like jumping out of the monastery.

I made that mission yesterday. in the same order and had no problems. After I did the quests, I went to talk to the head of the farm and I said smth like "There is nothing I can help X with anymore" and then the other guy took me to the town gates. You can kill the mobs before taking the mission and still get the xp and quest done. I did the same thing with the people on the road to the monastery, where they had problems with some moths and goblins. The quest got completed after I killed the mobs and then I just talked to the NPC's. It was the same in Gothic games too if I am not mistaken (I am sure it was at least in G3) so I don't see why it should not be here.

edit: I am thinking about giving up my 2h axe guy and go with the classic sword and shield. Yeah the damage goes down a lot but at least I can freaking block everything. Plus, I also took smithing to make jwls, so making 1h swords is just a bonus and as far as I remember there isn't a huge difference between the 2h and 1h Titan Sword.

Beastro

Arcane
I've also started the replay of Risen yesterday, and I can confirm that RK47 is full of shit.

The mobs (on normal difficulty) are scaled accordingly to the player (skill+gear) level at the supposed time of meeting them. I've had zero trouble dealing with any starter mobs whatsoever. The key was to re-learn the mighty "side-dodge -> swing at the enemy from the side" routine for the animals.

The first time I played the game I made the bandit camp axe+xbow str-based char, this time i think i will go with mage/inquisition dex-based bow+fireball char.

Different animals take different strats I found. Wolves are big on the side stepping as well so it's best to use the shield and work them into a corner where you can alternate between attacks and blocks. Porcupines don't really do the side step, and when they do it's slow so the shield works straight up with them, the birds and moths as well as well. The only one in the beginning where it becomes a necessity is the boars because they're attacks can go through block and if you just go nuts dancing around them they become trivial.

Yeah, sounds like Beastro found a rare glitch rather than a general scripting error.

I hope so. As I said I don't mind losing a few hours here and there, when it comes to RPGs I often feel that's a given, hence why I make a hard save every half an hour or so, but I don't want this to keep happening rather commonly.

T. Reich

Arcane
I made that mission yesterday. in the same order and had no problems. After I did the quests, I went to talk to the head of the farm and I said smth like "There is nothing I can help X with anymore" and then the other guy took me to the town gates. You can kill the mobs before taking the mission and still get the xp and quest done. I did the same thing with the people on the road to the monastery, where they had problems with some moths and goblins. The quest got completed after I killed the mobs and then I just talked to the NPC's. It was the same in Gothic games too if I am not mistaken (I am sure it was at least in G3) so I don't see why it should not be here.

edit: I am thinking about giving up my 2h axe guy and go with the classic sword and shield. Yeah the damage goes down a lot but at least I can freaking block everything. Plus, I also took smithing to make jwls, so making 1h swords is just a bonus and as far as I remember there isn't a huge difference between the 2h and 1h Titan Sword.

Once you raise your sword skill a bit, you will be able to use bastard swords 1h+shield as well. And after you put a good few points in it, you will be able to use 2h swords one-handed as well. I checked the guide, and you need skill levels 6 and 9 for that.

Similarly, you can use all axes one-handed once you train your axe skill to 6. Also,
the mandatory endgame weapon that you will HAVE to use in the final battle is an axe-skill wepon with +6 to axe skill.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
To be honest, I never saw the huge benefit of shields people always talk when it comes to Risen. You can block humanoid attacks with your weapon and dodge works great against animals from the start, even better than the shield (when you're blocking one wolf with a shield, the other one will just circle around and pounce on you whereas with dodge you're changing your position all the time). Once I unlock the charged/power attack I rarely block anyway (I certainly blocked much more often in Gothic 1/2).

I am thinking about giving up my 2h axe guy and go with the classic sword and shield. Yeah the damage goes down a lot but at least I can freaking block everything. Plus, I also took smithing to make jwls, so making 1h swords is just a bonus and as far as I remember there isn't a huge difference between the 2h and 1h Titan Sword.

Well, as T. Reich said, eventually (as you invest into the skill) all swords become wieldable in one hand. The key difference between long sword/bastard sword and 2H sword is not the damage but the reach which can be pretty important (it's one advantage staffs have over other weapons) but yeah you'd be fine using bastard swords for the whole game basically (and use those 20 skill points for something else).

T. Reich

Arcane
The only reason I ever bothered with a shield is because it provides that little extra weapon damage reduction, and in that departmnt every little helps.

bloodlover

Arcane
I have almost finished the game again and taking sides with the Don blows. He's so greedy and stupid, he should have stayed in the swamp and fap next to his pile of gold. I told him about the titan and the danger on the island and he goes: "Well I can't spare any men but here's this potion I've been keeping for a long time" Man, fuck your +5 str garbage. Funny thing is, I talked to one of his officers and he said Sonia's brothel was packed now that the Don's back in charge :lol: I guess we know what being busy means to his men though I don't blame them after so much time in the swamp with only the Don's wife around.

I swear, if PB made an option to fuck all and run away with Patty on a ship I would have done it long ago.

Now, not related to the above rant, is Risen 2 playable/good? Is magic really that bad in the game like many claim? I am in the mood for more exploring and sightseeing.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Its not as bad as people claim, its Risen1 with everything done a little worse, but it still has its charme.

Playing Risen 3 might have made you nostalgic, then, DB. Only interesting part about magic in R2 is the voodoo dolls and that's strictly quest related, iirc; the rest of the spells is worthless. Combat entails pressing LMB with great vigour, occasionally countering enemies, shooting them in the head in convos (after which they get up and walk away), and raging about QTE-spamming felines in the jungle. English VA is criminally bad, the story is ... never mind. There's also pirates, arrgh, ahoy, pet monkeys, and all that, ad nauseam. Well, I guess it's pretty enough so explore away, bloodlover. :D

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I have almost finished the game again and taking sides with the Don blows. He's so greedy and stupid, he should have stayed in the swamp and fap next to his pile of gold. I told him about the titan and the danger on the island and he goes: "Well I can't spare any men but here's this potion I've been keeping for a long time" Man, fuck your +5 str garbage. Funny thing is, I talked to one of his officers and he said Sonia's brothel was packed now that the Don's back in charge :lol: I guess we know what being busy means to his men though I don't blame them after so much time in the swamp with only the Don's wife around.

I swear, if PB made an option to fuck all and run away with Patty on a ship I would have done it long ago.

Now, not related to the above rant, is Risen 2 playable/good? Is magic really that bad in the game like many claim? I am in the mood for more exploring and sightseeing.
Risen 2 is well worth it if you're a PB fan. Risen 3 as well. Dont listen to the usual edgy bandwaggon naysayers.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Problem is you never back up why you think Risen 2 is 'well worth it for PB fans.'

Could it be the lack of factions?
Or the terrible melee combat?
The awful voodoo system that replace magic?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd also advise you not to listen to guys that have
possibly_retarded.png
under their names

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom