Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My Risen impressions

Do you agree?

• Yes

• No

• Mayhap

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alfons

Prophet
Risen is alright. The combat is shit though.

I never touched any PB game before Risen. Didn't read any manuals. Had no problems figuring out the combat on Hard. It's simple and fun, in fact it's one of the best melee combat systems I've ever seen in RPG. Progression system felt nice in a way they make you learn along with your character with additional moves being unlocked the further you invest in weapon skill. Unless you hope to become good by investing in STR.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Risen 1 had the best melee combat on PC until Dark Souls arrived.

Also it has Fred.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Just out of curiosity, have you decided to not go to the bandit camp? And have you ignored that warning about if you wanna train to be a mage, you need to go to city, and get letter of recommendation.

I sneaked around to avoid that conscription and was able to get into the city without much problems, with exception of nasty wilderness. Then of course after I get my letter of recommendation, they first accepted me as mage, second they said mage should be able to handle himself in melee as well before training as mage, and send me to that place you were for training. I cheated the fuck out of it, and entered the second stage of my training and then I learned the rest of melee combat because MP runs out quite fast, and Fred needed help.
The above probably isn't spoiler, but...

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Risen 1 had the best melee combat on PC until Dark Souls arrived.

Also it has Fred.
Exactly. Those saying its not good have no clue what they're talking about.

AS for the OP, back to Skyrim for you.

Risen > other RPGs.

hello friend

Arcane
itt chink can't into lateral thinking

Nigga I didn't read the manual and hadn't played more than one, max two hours of Gothic 3 at the time. Played on Hard from the get go and had no problems. Risen had beautiful combat. You learn by experimenting with it, doesn't hand hold, doesn't break immersion, just gives a flavour soundbite when you learn new moves. It gets really easy after a while, though - which, given Risen's small gameworld and short duration, is actually a little satisfying, as you transition from clueless mofo to High Priest of Pwn without it lasting long enough to become an endurance trial by unchallenging combat.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's quite nice how in gothics and risen 1 you can mostly subvert the spirit of the faction lock. I say 'most' because i'm still butthurt about not being able to learn lockpick 3 in chapter 1 without locking myself into the thieves guild. But the rest of the workarounds are p cool.

Snufkin

Augur
Turning off shadows fully made Risen smooth now im getting 25-40 fps.

bloodlover

Arcane
Gothic games and the first Risen had excellent combat imo and there was a real sense of progression. Unless you cheesed the battles with ranged combat, the extra stats you gain when leveling always made a visible difference. Not to mention the lack of gear made it a real treat when you finally managed to get a better armor. The games shined when it came to giving the player a sense of acomplishment, where in newer games the invasion of items and artifacts make everything feel trivial.

I've never used a manual for games, not even before the internet days. Ofc it made everything ten times harder but experimenting and exploring on my own was part of the fun.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Yep these games have the best sense of progression bar none.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
There are two types of people in this world. Those who honorably beat Kharim in chapter 1 during their first playthrough :incline: and casuals:decline:

Cadmus

Arcane
This is a shamefur dispray by our resident faggot AZN.
Never before have I seen such a pathetic wall of text where every single complain is invalid and like copy-pasted from Steam reviews. Must be a troll or a copy-pasta.

There's no arguing with something this absurd. Git gut, play Gothic 1 and stfu about shit you don't understand.

However....
what the fuck you can hold your mouse to keep drinking from the barrel???????????oh my god..so much time wasted on that shit

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
what the fuck you can hold your mouse to keep drinking from the barrel???????????oh my god..so much time wasted on that shit
Yeah, figured that out just now too and I played through the game. :lol:
I also had some problems with learning combat basics - like that timing your attacks is important, it somehow still worked and didn't give me the strong hints I got in the Gothics that I'm doing sth wrong - but I guess that's what manuals were for in the good old days (I don't read them anymore either, decline left its marks, I wanna have a ingame tutorial or at least ingame text spelling out everything that I can't be expected to figure out myself).
Hilarious OP though, bashes the only real strength this game has, the combat. Story is retarded and NPCs too - I can't stand that PB bro trademark shit anymore, which drags down everything a bit. Also exploration is disappointing because there might be tons of loot but most of it is the same replaceable trash.
But the combat is pure gold.
Overall game is definitely inferior to Gothic 1 and especially 2 though, in pretty much every aspect.

Monocause

Arcane
Remembering my own experiences with Risen i kinda agree with RK about some things. The game could've used some more player aid - I'd say it'd be best if the game was left as it is for the most part, but a completely optional tutorial could've been there (a separate main menu option).

It was an easy ride for me as I played other Piranha Bytes titles and was used to gameplay concepts like exploration being very important, I very easily guessed which gameworld objects would be interactable or not and was used to typical PB flaws like the combat mechanics being dodgy (seriously, Gothic combat was dodgy as fuck, Risen was a huge improvement but like someone above said, once you mastered a few tricks it became piss easy). A separate tutorial level could've eased a new player into all that.

Also being used to PB titles had a huge advantage of being used to the idea of not messing around with the scripting and making sure I don't mess up any triggers else the game will trip on its own legs.

Also he does have a point that you guys could've actually read what he posted and discussed the game instead of happily bashing. I mean, it's not like he's a 2015 shitposter, he's been around.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Overall game is definitely inferior to Gothic 1 and especially 2 though, in pretty much every aspect.
I played Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 back to back right after Risen. Gothic is the better game overall, but its Risen 1 > Gothic 2.

Alfons

Prophet
I played Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 back to back right after Risen. Gothic is the better game overall, but its Risen 1 > Gothic 2.
Dude, just put your fucking RPG comparison in your sig. Every fucking thread you posted on you eventually post your little comparison. PB games>>>>>>>every other RPG ever made. Don't you get tired of typing that shit up? Put it in you sig and be done with it.

Alfons

Prophet
Just a simple suggestion. Think about it. That way you don't even need to find a way to shove it in, it's always there. Everyone who sees your post will see the truth. Think how many people might see the light due to that simple decision. Think about it,
addddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!

hello friend

Arcane
Tutorials are one of the most offputting things an RPG can feature. A lot of older games are easy to pick up and play, even after many years and much time spent, because it brings you right into it from (or almost from) the get go. If I don't complete a post-2005 game on the first attempt - which, considering how boring many of them are, is not likely - I often can't be bothered to play through that first slow, excruciatingly handholding half hour/hour of unskippable substandard content again.

But optional is fine.

Monocause

Arcane
Tutorials are one of the most offputting things an RPG can feature. A lot of older games are easy to pick up and play, even after many years and much time spent, because it brings you right into it from (or almost from) the get go. If I don't complete a post-2005 game on the first attempt - which, considering how boring many of them are, is not likely - I often can't be bothered to play through that first slow, excruciatingly handholding half hour/hour of unskippable substandard content again.

But optional is fine.

Agreed that forced tutorials, particularly the ones that break the 4th wall in the worst possible way ("You have to escape the ship! But first press X to open up a container and ESC to bring up the game menu"), are a hindrance. Many games, however, have decently done completely optional tutorials that are there to help out players with less gaming experience.

Why are these good? Let me share an anecdote - some time ago I was showing Dishonored to my non-gaming friend as I figured he'd like the aesthetics. He started playing the game for a bit and got to the first encounter with rat swarms. To my surprise, he failed to get past the area - but not because he hadn't figured out to throw a body to the rats, but because he never figured out that he can interact with the huge red wheel to open the portcullis.

When I thought about it I realised how arbitrary some gaming conventions are. I take it for granted that when somethings bloody red and made to stand out in a game, I can probably interact with it. He, however, didn't as he didn't have years of getting used to the conventional schtick gaming made us used to. It also highlighted a problem with Dishonored's tutorial as on one hand it's painfully dumb at times (huge popups telling you obvious things every 4 steps) but never tells the player to look for things that stand out as these are likely to be interactable. It aims to make the game very accessible but that's one moment it really fails.

I think it's a similar thing with Risen. I can easily imagine the importance of exploration will not be obvious for many players. In Risen, the benefits of exploring aren't exactly obvious. It's not like Skyrim where there's tons of things lying around or 751 caves waiting to be plundered; the gameworld is designed in a more coherent, mature way that can be either pleasantly surprising or stupidly frustrating.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
I think it's a similar thing with Risen. I can easily imagine the importance of exploration will not be obvious for many players. In Risen, the benefits of exploring aren't exactly obvious. It's not like Skyrim where there's tons of things lying around or 751 caves waiting to be plundered; the gameworld is designed in a more coherent, mature way that can be either pleasantly surprising or stupidly frustrating.

I'm guessing which of the two depends on whether you're the type of player to sink 1000+ hours into Skyrim or not.

Lhynn

Arcane
Lol, gaems are for kids, who needs a tutorial? Especially in the dumb shit era, where everything is fucking stupid.
Especially surprising coming from the guy that has like 1k hours sunk into CKII.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom