Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Silent Storm My gripe with Silent Storm

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Convince me to play silent storm. Game looks very simple, from the videos.

rezaf

Cipher
What do you mean by simple?

I can understand if someone is a bit disappointed by the lack of a meaningful strategic layer, but the tactical component of Silent Storm was very good back in 2004, and in some ways it still remains unparalleled. I guess it is a matter of priorities, but everytime a new squad level strategy game comes out with no or minimal destructive terrain, I spend a moment thinking back how great it all used to be 15 years ago.

It is true that the mission design was kinda meh and you had to be a bit lucky to run into situations that would make the game really shine, but when it happened, it was glorious.

I'll never forget blowing up a gas tank in the basement of a building, killing my soldier but also half a dozen enemies in the floor above and making their bodies rain down on the other end of the map.
Or even just using the heavy machine gun to shoot a hole in the wooden floor to get at the enemy patrol below. Or using a grenade to blow up the stairs so the opponents had to climb up to my position, making it easy to pick them off. Or assaulting a bunker manned by panzerkleins without sufficient armament and turning the bunker into swiss cheese trying to pick them off at range for 50 turns or something. Those were the days...

laclongquan

Arcane
Or standing on the roof firing down at a platoon of heavily armored troops.

It's not fish in the barrel because everytime you pop up to shoot, enemy reaction fire can make it very tough. Especially in 40 vs 6 like that.

Or standing in the courtyard, getting ambushed by about 20 troops in the house, on the towers, and behind. Plus one sniper with silenced scoped rifle on the roof.

Master

Arbiter
I remember when my main dude was pinned down in a room with enemies closing in. So, another dude blew a hole in the wall. But the hole was too small and I had to crawl through it. Best game ever!

Crash

Literate
The difficulty can be tweaked in various ways to suit your playstyle(don't know why devs don't do this more ofte
Problem is though that when tweaking difficulty to realistic (i.e., both sides have no bonuses), the game gets nigh unbeatable, unfortunately, for some early missions already have quite many opponents, so same stats means losing because of opponents superior numbers :|

Or assaulting a bunker manned by panzerkleins without sufficient armament and turning the bunker into swiss cheese trying to pick them off at range for 50 turns or something.
One of parts I also love in every tactical game, those long shootouts against tough enemies :salute:

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
I really wish there was procedural campaign so that I can play missions over and over and blow stuff up.
In fact if this was married to Mordheim City of the Damned it would be perfect. Soldiers would constantly die and have to be hired while you do complex missions with interesting objectives.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom