Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Nerd Commando Guide Channel (ex-funbuilding & stuff)

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
You sound like a drunk russian. No wonder you play Dota :outrage:

Well, I am russian and I even play dota with a stack of authentic russian schoolkids, though I'm more on a temperance side of things. But if you think I'm sounding drunk, try putting the speed at 0.5x. That's where I'm drunk.

Jesus H Christ, your video is really loud. You can imagine my face when it started in the other tab and my youtube volume slider was on max.

Sorry, dunno what the reason is - maybe the settings got reset? All previous ones were done with the same gear so this surge wasn't really predictable.

than one in which you talk like a super high coke-head :)

But it's fallout tactics - you can't go through fallout tactics unless you're totally high on psycho! I'm just being true to the game!

In reality, though, I think this burst of speed is because it took 3 full takes to make the video and patiently telling the same thing 3 times in a row is a hard challenge for me.

Dog with 10 CHA for best leader

Lol at haymaker & power kick

1 perk/level would've been neat, but dogs can't have CHA higher than 5(7).

And yeah, the hook kick cheese makes me really proud - I remember how angry I got in my last playthrough (was about 4 years ago) that this cool kick was stolen from me at level 15, but back then I wasn't good enough to understand how to fix that. Now I am.

Shadenuat

Arcane
dogs can't have CHA higher than 5(7).
Dammit! We need Cool Shades from F2

I figured out CHA on my first playthrough just by trying various characters in 1st mission, and I always played this game with leader-character as my main with very high CHA, INT and skills like Barter & Doctor. So I just outgunned everything with superior equipment.

BoS - the only Fallout where CHA truly matters :M

Last edited:

Pope Amole II

Developer
Another week, another issue. This one is about the game that isn't really well known or respected (though maybe not exactly rightfully so).

JoKa

Cipher
Star Wolves is a great game and the German translation is quite alright. Will you do part 3 was well? I played it some time ago, but didn't get really into it.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Will you do part 3 was well? I played it some time ago, but didn't get really into it.

Of course! That's my plan for the next week. 3 starts a little bit slow and might be hard to get in if you've played 1 just before that (totally depends on your tolerance to the samey gameplay), but once you get through the initial threshold, it becomes much better as it is improved in all departments. More ships to choose, more weapons & systems to use (especially for the mothership), more uses for your characters, the ability to travel around the space freely (sure, the world isn't that fleshed out, but there's still some interesting stuff to find there), more C&Cs and branching 2nd and 4th quarters of the game... The game is great and was build according to many codexian ideals, I really don't get it why it gets so little love here.

Pope Amole II

Developer
I wanted to make a sneak update tommorrow, suddenly posting Wasteland 2's beta funbuilding (just with teh Underrail, will do another one once the game hits the release status), but I need to type something now if only to vent myself. Fuck, this game is boring! How fucking droll it is! What a sad piece of shit! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!

Ok, now that I feel somewhat better, let me provide a detailed explanation. First of all, Wasteland 2 is not a piece of shit - it's just extremely, extremely mediocre (and probably heading towards that mediocrity from the direction of awful). At this moment, it extremely reminds me of Fargo's previous attempt at reviving the cult classics, 2004's Bard's Tale. Meaning the great story & atmosphere combined with the extremely shitty gameplay. Towers, man, those fucking towers, man... Sure, this time it's not a simplistic action-RPG and the game's system is rather complex, but what's the point when the level design is so boring it makes you wanna claw your eyes out? It reminds me of Kotor 2 debacle - the game's RPG system is excellent, the only problem, you've never given any kind of adequate challenge so you can actually use all those munchkined builds in action. But I digress.

What's most important about W2 is that it's most certainly not the mythical "indie hipster oldschool Fallout-like bonanza" that Fargo promised to his backers. Especially to the casual crowd ones - boy, will they rip his balls of once they see the final results. Though it's mostly a sad outcome - in our grand thread, there are enough talks of "well, at least this game will bring an oldschool rpgs to the masses", but thing is, what it will bring to them? What it will show them? What it will prove them? That oldschool turn-based party-based RPGs are ugly&boring (&probably bugged as hell as I don't believe they'll fix all of this in 2 months) pieces of shit, made by retards for retards? That's some fucking PR right there. Anyhow, the game is too ugly & too metagamey to appeal to the casual gamer. He'll most likely create the shit party, go on into rescuing AG center (main reason I'm raging here - the man who designed it should fucking quit the gamedev for, like, forever) and, well, rage quit after 30 mins or so. Because it's just unbearable mind-numbingness, that's why.

And even for the oldschool crowd, I dunno... Lots of the stuff in the game feels like it was designed by going through motions. Y'know, not passion, but going through motions. Ok, so our game is oldschool RPG, oldschool RPGs had lots of text - hurray, let's make it wordy! Believe me, I have nothing against large quantities of text (as anyone who read my LPs will prove), but thing is, all text should be to the point, it should mean something, it shouldn't be just blabbery for the sake of blabbery. Because the latter is nothing but waste of player's time. And here, the majority of text tells you fucking nothing. Ok, first quest, you go into area where ranger was killed and you see the large spot of dried blood on the sand. Game proceeds to inform you that there's a fucking blood on the sand and, apparently, that's the blood of killed ranger. Gee, and I've thought someone had their periods and sanitary pads are such a rare find in the post-apoc! So you make two steps further and see a radio-tower with the flag waving above it - obviously the game tells you that flag is waving in the wind. Sorry, but I can both fucking see and hear (because there's an ambient sound of wind going on), so what's the point? And this goes on and goes on and goes on. Please, I'm all for the quality writing, but this graphomaniac spam is nothing like that.

Or, for example, the skill system with lots of not that commonly used skills. Sure, Wasteland 1 had those, but also the majority of them didn't needed to be that high and there were different ways of training them available (as far as I know, never got to playing the predecessor). Apparently, it was like in the Darklands (which I did play a lot) - it was mostly logistical task of picking/acquiring the right skills and travelling though the world in a correct manner to level them up. Which, while it may sound somewhat mechanical, is rather fun. To the core audience of such games, at least. Here, the opportunities to increase skills are also present, but seem rather scarce and so it's all about gimping your party's combat efficiency lightly enough so they can still fight but can also solve stuff. But that's not the problem. The thing is, if that logistical challenge was rather interesting because it included lots of exploration and some management tasks, here this multi-skill challenge is rather banal and boring. Especially when you consider that the majority of problems can be solved with only one specific skill, so the interchangeability is rather low. But that's not the point. I dunno, the thing is that this multi-skill system doesn't really improve the game and just feels "going through the motions", as I've said - it's oldschool so let's do that. Little thought was given about how fun it is, it seems.

Not to mention that some skills are rather useless, especially in the weapons department - God, the balance is so horrible there. There is horribly useless (and at times even harmful, it seems) shit like the shotguns or the big guns or uzi (well, the big guns are probably good in the late game, though I'm not sure how they fare against armor) and there is stupidly overpowered stuff like brawling with its constant criticals just devastating anything. But then, it doesn't really matter because combat is rather filler-ish - tactics are almost non-present while enemies are rather stupid and just love to waste their APs on stupid shit. What makes it worse is that areas are usually populated by one and the same type of enemy, so once you've seen one encounter, you've seen 'em all. And where there's more than one (like in the AG center, fuck that place!), they areas are so overstretched that going through them feels like eternity. Developers boast 50 hours of gameplay in the full version, but I'm scared to think what it would've become if you cut out all the padding...

The only things that save this mess are the character building system (which, apart from the crappy weapon balance and needlessly complex skills, is rather nice and flexible) and atmosphere. But atmosphere is deeply flawed or, rather, counterproductive. The issue here is that the overall tone of the game is wacky and luzly - as I reckon, just in the wake of Wasteland 1. But, at the same time, the authors try to pull of some rather grim, dramatic and heavy moves... And, surprisingly, it doesn't mesh well together. Let me give you a spoiler-ish example (it's from the early game so it should be fine). Your first serious mission is a choice between rescuing one of two cities. They're attacked at the same time, and you can save only one. Of course, in reality, this is a rather dumbfuck concept - how comes that you are the only ranger patrolling that area? How comes that in those areas, vital for the Citadel's survival, there is no fucking garrison? The rangers have spent last 15 years fortifying their strength and their area so what the fuck?

Anyhow, you choose one - the other dies. And not in a pretty manner. And, since there are lots of radio-talks in this game, you hear their agony - for example, if you chose to forego the AG center (the wisest decision of your life, believe me), it's chief researcher will scream at you over the radio, insulting you in her desperation. And then, a moment later, she'll break down and ask for forgivenes, pleading for help. It's rather unsettling to hear General Vargas, a hardened badass, explain to her in a clumsy and totally lost manner that help just can't arrive, there's no help... And when you, having done everything in Highpool, finally go there, it's too late already - you find her dying and, with her dying breath, she tells "Fuck you, rangers". It could've been fucking superb (emotional immersion over 9000) if only the whole ordeal wasn't interlaced with the fucking lulz! Oh, calm the pet dog garoof! Oh, JB's daddy lost her fucking dowry in cards, so how will she marry a non-whore-fucking white know now? Oh, some hooligans bully a noble native, the horror, the horror! And when you explore the devastated Center, it also is a parade of witless quips - lookie, a vine-entangled corpse on a toilet! Well, if you gotta go - you gotta go! How fucking clever!

I dunno, it's like creating a beautiful painting and then taking a huge shit all over it. It's just fuck you. And I don't give two flying fucks if Wasteland 1's was wacky - you either go for wacky or serious, not both at the same time. Not to mention that, in terms of humor, this game is no fun at all. Believe me, I'm all in for the crazy post-apoc shit - one of my most beloved movies is Six-String Samurai and one of my favorite games is the (sadly, not often remembered) Superhero League of Hoboken, but both of those were genuinely funny, you see. Here, it's just oddball stuff that's not really clever or witty and the only way I can react to it is just saying "Ugh, okay".

And that crap repeats and repeats itself over and over again. I dunno, this strongly reminds me of Fallout Tactics - it too tried to tackle some serious shit (at some points) while combining that with shitload of dumb "soiled pants" jokes. The result was rather annoying.

And Mark Morgan is... Somewhere there. I dunno, he's not bad, but it's certainly not the level of F1&2. Not even close.

I could've said a lots of more negative things about the game (graphics mostly looking like ass - Age of Decadance looks better than W2, especially in the death animation department; the horrible camera & engine usage; annoying "stylish" gimmicks like the menu scorpitron moving each time you start/load the game or the noise animation you get when engaging the combat - shit gets old fast), but I'm pretty burnt out at this point. I'm not really disappointed in this game (wasn't a backer & saw no reason to believe in all of the sweet promises), but I still can't believe how can you fuck shit up so badly. It's a fucking joke.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I'm mostly butthurt that it wouldn't load while I alt tabbed out of it.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Took a little bit more than I though (because I've had a couple of fresh idea about this system and needed to test it), but it's up!

Also, if you liked the video enough (only if - I don't ask for any free threats) and if you have steam accounts, I wouldn't mind against voting for the vid here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=280123524

I dare to presume I'm doing decent job with those vids and I wouldn't mind against extra attention, yeah.

Pope Amole II

Developer
New issue is here. After the short W2 beta affair, we're following our Star Wolves funbuilding with its much better (and quite codexian in terms of design goals) successor - Star Wolves 3: Civil War.

Also, since it's kinda my thread, I guess I can boast some ship designs from the roguelike shmup I'm currently working on:

ships_promo.jpg

(those are the player's ships and they'll be half that size in the game, though)

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I read your posts with a russian-ish accent now.

But you're enjoyable to listen to. I would definitely watch some more videos of yours on good games. Doesn't have to be about min-maxing :)

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
I might have overlooked something, but is there a reason why you're not covering Star Wolves 2? I did own it at some point in my life and I would really like to know your thoughts on it at the very least.

But you're enjoyable to listen to.

Also this. This may sound creep-ish, but at times I just have one of your videos run in the background while I do some brainless activity. It's a roundabout way to tell you that your videos are insightful and intelligent, otherwise I don't think I would feel the need to them while I grind.

Pope Amole II

Developer
I would definitely watch some more videos of yours on good games. Doesn't have to be about min-maxing :)

But what's the point of life if you're not min-maxing?

Though, I really try to make my vids not about min-maxing, just understanding the system and using it well. It just so happens that, for example, in Star Wolves lots of people struggle with the system. You go on steam community and see plenty of complaints about that. And what can help them if not powergaming?

Or in the case of Wasteland 2 or Kotor series, the kinds of games where combat is nothing but PEZ dispenser, used to doze down the story, what's the point of wasting time with mediocre build? The general idea is to artificially raise the challenge, but that rarely works because combat fun doesn't depend on challenge only. It should be complex and tactical enough (if we're talking about TB/RTwP) for the challenge to kick in. Also, some games are impossible to balance that way - like the Kotor 2. I've pondered that issue, but in the end everything in the game is either useless or broken by design and mere balancing (without change of core rules) wouldn't do it much good.

I might have overlooked something, but is there a reason why you're not covering Star Wolves 2? I did own it at some point in my life and I would really like to know your thoughts on it at the very least.

Well, in both of my SW videos I've called it a hackjob and horrible shovelware and I've actually praised SW3 developers for absolutely bleaching it out of continuity (and calling their game SW2: Civil War in russian release). I think it deserves nothing but oblivion, not to mention that the amount of fresh content in iе hardly merits an entire video - the game is pretty much a small mod of the original Wolves with the only serious introduction being the broken new fighters.

As a general rule, I'm not doing games that are bad (or even mediocre). Especially when they are "sequels" to the games I love.

And thanks for the kind words, both of you. Actually, once we'll have some videos of our game, I'll also start doing weekly (?) podcasts (? - not much to show in such vid; though I really want to lay down epiphanies on the cam in a Colonel Kurtz style, with the same lighting and so on) about general game design. Not only our experience, but just the global (or sometimes local) design thoughts. I can talk hours about that stuff - I've met our composer last week (I've found a decent local guy; music is just his hobby, but 2 of his favorite games are Morrowind and Ps:T and he just seems to have a decent taste - https://soundcloud.com/le-stepchen ; the track that made me want to work with him is called Austur) and while that was supposed to be mostly the talk about our features, it grown into a three hour long game design sermon.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not saying min-maxing is wrong, just that if there's anything else on your mind, don't hesitate to record it.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Originally, I've planned a Temple of the Elemental this week. But I guess I can go lazy and do a Quest for Infamy gaiden (that's gonna be really quick), leaving ToEE for the future. Will depend on my mood, I think. And I really ought to direct some of our research funds towards the DOS, considering the amount of hype it gets here.

Pope Amole II

Developer
KK, this week I've decided to act like the hero my current review (i.e., a lazy bum) and so I went with the Quest for Infamy. One of the biggest funbuildings I've ever done, lol.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Tomorrow, my good man, all's gonna be tomorrow and with the rather unexpected subject, measure and quantity. Also, my best friend (and, in addition to that, gamedev partner) has finished coding up all the weapons in our roguelike shmup project today so I'll also make a gameplay presentation video of that (for codex, mostly - it doesn't look good enough to serve as some kind of PR for broader audiences at this point, but I think codexian bros can handle the yet imperfect shape of it). I'd do it today, but I've had more than enough video-making for today and, also, my internet provider is slowly deterioriating (the equipment here was pretty much abandoned with the Crimea moving into Russia, I guess I should switch to a russian one) which resulted in the outgoing speed being reduced to 4% of what it was. Time to upload: 512 minutes. Zzzzz.....

Pope Amole II

Developer
To compensate for the lazyness of the last week, this week's Funbuilding is not merely one video, but an entire video - around 5.5 hours of me droning relentlessly about the peculiarities of freshly released m15 draft format. Hell yeah.

In other news, I've also created the somewhat crappy (sound-wise) video of the game I'm currently working on for the Codex:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/caelum-a-roguelike-shmup.93237/

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
A card game was not what I was expecting. It's not my cup of tea in the slightest but I shall try and make sense of it all.

Pope Amole II

Developer
A card game was not what I was expecting. It's not my cup of tea in the slightest but I shall try and make sense of it all.

Nah, man, I don't advise it, tbh. I'm talking about it on a semi-pro level (I actually make some pocket money by playing magic) and it's really not aimed at people who are not accustomed to the game. Just wait until tomorrow when I'll finish the Temple of Elemental Evil videos.

baturinsky

Arcane
I thought 3.5 powebuilding can be compressed to one word: "cleric" :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom