Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - now with Seed of Evil expansion

norolim

Arcane
I don't get the furries. We played the tabletop version and there isn't a single animal bullshit like that. Also, the original premise fits better a survival+base management game than a tactical combat one.
I think the aim is to educate us fascist gamers that animals are human beings too, and should have equal rights. Notice the ham scene in the trailer. Let's hope there are no treefolk in the game, cause then all those poor bastards will have no other choice but to eat mud.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Duck is black and he's trying to eat meat of his comrades. Also he has yellow feet. It means chinese colonized Africa before WW3. Middle eastern girl not wearing hijab and in a party with a pig. Decline of islam.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's the original press release: http://pr.funcom.com/pressreleases/...nnounces-new-game-for-pc-xbox-and-ps4-2432793

Funcom And The Bearded Ladies Announces New Game For Pc, Xbox, & Ps4
Press Release • Feb 28, 2018 12:02 GMT

s3f0ipe1ro9yynbz3r1s.jpg

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden’ is a tactical adventure game featuring a deep storyline set on a post-human Earth, which combines strategy and the turn-based tactical combat of ‘XCOM’ with real-time exploration and stealth gameplay

Currently in development by an experienced team including former ‘HITMAN’ designers and Ulf Andersson, the designer of ‘PAYDAY’

OSLO, Norway – February 28th, 2018Of course the world ends, it was just a question of time. Extreme climate change, global economic crisis, a lethal pandemic, and increasing tension between old and new superpowers. For the first time since 1945 nuclear weapons were used in armed conflict. Mushroom clouds rose from east to west before the dust settled. The humans are gone. The Mutants are here.

Funcom, the independent games developer and publisher, and Bearded Ladies, a Sweden-based game development studio that includes former ‘Hitman’ designers and Ulf Andersson the designer of ‘PAYDAY’, today announced a brand-new game called ‘Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden’. Proudly standing out as a tactical adventure game, it combines the tactical turn-based combat of ‘XCOM’ with real-time exploration and stealth gameplay, wrapping it all up in a deep storyline set on a post-human Earth.

The game, which is being developed by Bearded Ladies and published by Funcom, is set to release in 2018 on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. Players must take control of a team of unlikely heroes, such as Dux (a crossbow-wielding, walking, talking duck) and Bormin (a boar with serious anger issues), and help them navigate a post-human Earth with its abandoned cities, crumbling highways, and mutated monsters on every corner. The ultimate goal: save yourselves by finding the legendary Eden.

“It’s an unusual label for a game, but tactical adventure really fits the bill, no duck pun intended,” says Executive Producer Ulf Andersson at Bearded Ladies. Andersson is also known for being the designer of the 2011 megahit ‘PAYDAY’. “Our goal is to blend the deep and tactical combat of ‘XCOM’ with a branching storyline that unfolds as you explore overgrown forests and abandoned cities with your team of Mutants. Mixing that with real-time stealth gameplay gives you a unique way to approach or avoid combat situations you encounter while exploring."

For more video material, screenshots, and more information about ‘Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden’, please visit the official website that launched today on www.mutantyearzero.com.

Funcom will be showing off the first ever live gameplay at GDC 2018 in San Francisco in March. Demos will be held behind closed doors at the Moscone Center showfloor. Those interested in checking out the game and meeting with the developers can get in touch with Funcom to set up an appointment.

‘Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden’ is powered by the Unreal Engine and will be available on PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 in 2018. The game is based on the classic ‘Mutant’ IP that has spawned several popular pen and paper role-playing games since the 1980s, including the current ‘Mutant: Year Zero’ from Free League and Modiphius Entertainment. The IP is owned by the Cabinet Group and the interactive rights are controlled by Heroic Signatures, a company owned by both Cabinet Group and Funcom (see earlier announcement).

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
So everything went to shit and duckman is hung up on a CAN OF PRESERVED FOOD while the pig GIVES A FUCK ABOUT HOW IT LOOKS.
It will be shit.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Watched the trailer now. The music immediately caught my attention. LOL!
the song played on the radio is this one. it's written in 1999. the recording sounds old though. a lot of covers out there but can't find the version played in the trailer. must be a popular song, I've never heard it before. it's dansbandsmusik so it's for degenerates
Oh, I know of it. It was just amusing to hear it. I'm not familiar with the tabletop game and didn't know it was Swedish.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After Bubbles quit, I don't know if you send out people to events anymore:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Long gameplay:

http://pr.funcom.com/pressreleases/...ay-from-mutant-year-zero-road-to-eden-2461646

Funcom Reveals First Gameplay From Mutant Year Zero: Road To Eden

Check out over 30 minutes of unedited gameplay from the upcoming tactical adventure game, showing off its post-human world and tactical combat

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden’ is coming for PC, Xbox, and PlayStation 4 in 2018, and features a deep storyline combining strategy and the turn-based tactical combat of ‘XCOM’ with real-time exploration and stealth gameplay

OSLO, Norway – March 28th, 2018 – Funcom announced ‘Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden’ just a few weeks ago with a Cinematic Reveal Trailer that quickly made some significant ripples in the duck pond of the Internet. A lot of the credit for that goes to Dux, a duct-taped, crossbow-wielding anthropomorphic duck who saw a sudden rise to fame in the weeks that followed. Apparently, anyone can become popular on the Internet, all you need is ruffle a few feathers.

Last week the bird flu to San Francisco to present the game behind closed doors at the Game Developer Conference. This week you will soon see that if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it probably is much more than just a CGI duck as Funcom finally reveals how ‘Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden’ looks and plays through 30 minutes of unedited gameplay presented by the developers at The Bearded Ladies.

Tired of duck puns yet? We promise to send you some more later.

“I would just like to apologize for all the duck puns in this press release”, says Lawrence Poe, Chief Product Officer at Funcom. “Our PR people are nothing but a bunch of quacks.”

The game, which is being developed by Bearded Ladies and published by Funcom, is set to release in 2018 on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. Players must take control of a team of unlikely heroes, such as Dux (a crossbow-wielding, walking, talking duck) and Bormin (a boar with serious anger issues), and help them navigate a post-human Earth with its abandoned cities, crumbling highways, and mutated monsters on every corner. The team behind the game includes former ‘HITMAN’ leads as well as Ulf Andersson, the designer of ‘PAYDAY’.

‘Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden’ is powered by the Unreal Engine and will be available on PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 in 2018. The game is based on the classic ‘Mutant’ IP that has spawned several popular pen and paper role-playing games since the 1980s, including the current ‘Mutant: Year Zero’ from Free League and Modiphius Entertainment. The IP is owned by the Cabinet Group and the interactive rights are controlled by Heroic Signatures, a company owned by both Cabinet Group and Funcom (see earlier announcement). For more video material, screenshots, and more information about ‘Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden’, please visit the official website that launched today on www.mutantyearzero.com.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hell yeah. No bullshit teasing, just 35 minutes of pure gameplay.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I watched this video, anyone that thinks PP is copying Xcom 2 should watch this video. These guys are almost 1:1 copy except your soldiers look weird and you only got 3 of them which makes it even worse than Xcom 2.

Their "innovations" are that your characters don't have classes but you get a pool of abilities for your whole team as they level up and then you give each of your team members 3 abilities from that pool for each of the 3 categories of skills (so 9 abilities per character). Also enemies don't get a free move when you attack them. Stealth system of this game is better than Xcom 2.
No other improvements over Xcom2, game plays like a copy but with even smaller teams and some exploration between combats.

It is hard to care about this game when we got PP, Phantom Doctrine, Xenonauts 2 and Vigilantes coming.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.pcgamer.com/xcom-meets-stealthy-rpg-in-the-seriously-cool-mutant-year-zero-road-to-eden/

XCOM meets stealthy RPG in the seriously cool Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
Former Hitman designers have gotten back together to build an exciting RPG around an XCOM core.

If you thought XCOM + Mario was a weird pitch for a videogame, Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is here to blow your mind with an even more bizarre pitch: XCOM + Howard the Duck. Plus sealth. Plus, uh, about 30 years of RPG heritage pulled from a Swedish pen-and-paper game called Mutant that first debuted in 1984. This videogame is weird as hell. After watching an hour demo and drilling the developers for more details, I also think it's going to be really fucking cool.

Genetically mutated animals and humans are scavenging and fighting to survive in the post-apocalypse. Exploration of Mutant's near-future post-apocalyptic setting adds the biggest twist to XCOM's formula, with characters to level up, loot to find, and a story to unravel. It also gives you the opportunity to stealthily roam around an area before triggering combat. Like a typical RPG, everything plays out in real time as you're roaming around the world. Once you start a fight, though—or get spotted while you're trying to get into position—it's pure, tactical XCOM.

When you understand the pedigree behind Mutant Year Zero, its addition of more robust stealth than what you see in XCOM2 starts to make a lot of sense. The team I met with included former lead designers from IO Interactive, who worked on the last two Hitman games.

"This is actually a game I wanted to do 10 years ago, but couldn't fund it, couldn't find the opening to do it," said David Skarin, who was the lead gameplay designer on 2016's Hitman. He roped in former Hitman level design lead Lee Varley and Ulf Andersson, who co-founded Overkill software and designed the Payday games.

"I grew up on these things," said Andersson, motioning to the Mutant RPG book they brought along to show off. "This is one of the things I always wanted to make. The whole entire Swedish developer scene of my age wants to do this game."

Mutant revolves around a safe haven called the Ark, a sort of shantytown safe haven for mutant humans and animals built on top of a bridge. In the game the graphics aren't completely finished and it's a bit empty, but the soft glow of neon lights and fire barrels dot the trellises and light up the makeshift shacks. Here there's a bar for taking on missions, a crafting station, and the chambers of the Elder, a frail old (and mysteriously unmutated) man who looks after the survivors of the Ark like his children.

Everything outside the Ark is the Zone, where you'll explore, scavenge for resources, and meet new characters to recruit into your party. Varley compared the way you'll expand your party to Japanese RPGs—those new characters will have a story that comes along with them. All of this comes straight out of the pen-and-paper RPG.

"It's not a resource management game in the same way as XCOM, but you do bring artifacts and things back from the Zone, which improve the lives of these people," said Skarin. The mission he took on had him hunting down a generator, which would let them turn on more lights at the Ark instead of burning trash. I asked if most of the characters would be animals or humans, and Skarin said that in the world of Mutant, humans are more common, but the playable cast will largely be mutant animals because they're more fun.

I got a good, long look at how a typical combat situation will play out. In a small encounter, Skarin came across an isolated Howler Ghoul, who has a phonograph horn strapped to her shoulder and can call in reinforcements if she gets the chance. Here's where stealth comes in: As you're exploring in real time, enemies have a white "tension" radius around them that serves as a generalized vision range. Step into it and you'll get spotted, initiating combat right where you are and giving them the advantage. Make too much noise or get caught in something like a spotlight, same thing. But if you can sneak your way around, you can get into cover, flank an enemy and initiate combat yourself, getting the first move.

"What we want you to do, embracing the pen-and-paper RPG, is scout it up, come up with a great plan, and then fail on your second die roll and improvise from there," Skarin said with a laugh. In the demo build, the character I like to think of as Howard the Duck—real name Dux—was equipped with a crossbow, which Skarin used to kill the Howler Ghoul quietly, before she could blow her horn and call for backup. The die rolls came out in his favor that time.

In combat everything feels very XCOM, down to the two-chunk movement system, overwatch as a skill, and equippable secondary weapons like grenades. But mutations, the game's perk system, offer a fun alternative to a rigid skill tree. As each character levels up, you'll spend points to unlock three or four mutations in three categories: major, minor, and passive. Before any given battle, you can equip one mutation in each category, tailoring your loadout to the fight ahead.

"We want it to be very match specific, who you bring into the fight, of the characters we have, and how you configure them," said Skarin. Dux can choose a mutation that makes him sprout gross (but useful) moth wings, for example, which give him a high ground advantage ideal for long distance sniping. "There's no real point to having the wings in the underground bunker, for instance," Skarin said.

Right now, there's a pool of about 30 different mutations split up amongst the recruitable characters. There will be some overlap, but the characters will all have unique mutations, too. The biggest distinction from XCOM in combat is having a party limited to only three units (the same number as in Ubisoft's Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, actually), which the developers said felt like just the right number. They started with five and worked their way down until there was never a time when one or two party members sat around idle.

In a big encounter that made up the back half of our demo, Skarin took on a group of ghouls who were trying to get a large combat robot back up and running—with a little help from the robot, which you can reprogram if you find a clue while exploring. I hope there are frequent narrative touches like this in combat that don't feel too samey or too obvious, but it at least seems like the sort of thing the designers of Hitman would excel at.

I also got a good look at how varied these sorts of combat encounters can play out, and how important positioning can be when you're outnumbered. Skarin sent Bormin, the pig man, out into the open to draw fire. With his stoneskin mutation, he can soak up the damage. Dux took on the high ground, but nearly died when a rampaging heavy ghoul (think an XCOM Muton) came after him. Bormin also started taking damage over time thanks to a flamethrower-wielding pyro. A well-placed smoke grenade on the leader of the ghouls kept her out of action long enough for Skarin to mop up the rest.

Mutant Year Zero isn't the only game coming out this year that makes Julian Gollop's assertion that XCOM is now a genre feel prescient, but it's exciting to see it marry what looks like a damn fine tactical game with a full RPG. It's packed with character and loot that has character, like a tophat that confers a high ground bonus. I want to see more of the recruitable characters and how much story they'll really bring with them. I dig the idea of the Zone being a world you can explore fairly freely; in my demo, the party was level 40, about the same level as the enemies they came up against. But it's possible to skip encounters that are too tough and come back to them later, or stealthily position yourself to take out an isolated enemy instead of fighting a whole group at once.

"This level is kind of a big fight, you end up here after a smaller little story on the map, where you find this guy on the map who tells you about the stolen generator. But then you have other maps with lots of small fights which are more exploration based, and you walk around and run into something in the woods, or in the city," Skarin said. "So we can change the pacing of a turn-based game by doing different sized fights and things, which is really nice."

I hope a properly outfitted team will let you take on enemies that outrank you, though Andersson said you'd likely get destroyed if you went up against level 40 enemies with a level 30 crew. I'm betting experienced XCOM players will find creative ways to prove that false. And those players will have some challenging options: by default there's no permadeath in battle, since these characters have story attached to them, but permadeath will be an option. There are also difficulty settings that will affect how much you heal between battles and what kind of penalties you'll suffer after being downed.

Mutant Year Zero might be the first strategy game I've seen built in Unreal Engine 4, and even the dark forest map I saw demoed looked gorgeous. The environment is packed with swaying ferns, shadows and soft lights blanket every area, and there's a ton of detail to be seen when you zoom in on a character to take a shot. I expect it to be a game much like Divinity: Original Sin 2, where it's more effective to take in the whole battlefield at once, but I'll keep zooming in to admire the art.

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is out this year, which hopefully means we'll get to see more of its story and exploration in the near future.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.pcgamesn.com/mutant-yea...utant-year-zero-xcom-combat-abilities-setting

Mutant Year Zero fuses XCOM's combat with real-time exploration... and ducks in top hats

Mutant%20Year%20Zero%20Ark.png

OK, that headline is a slight lie - there is only one duck that wears a top hat in Mutant Year Zero: Road To Eden. Although, his name is Dux, so the potential for plural/singular confusion is obvious.

What’s more interesting than his choice of headgear - or, at least, more relevant from a gameplay perspective - is that Dux has mutations that allow him to fly. Well, that's being generous: it is really more of a temporary hover. This means that, in combat situations, he is able to get a better line of sight on an enemy and thus improve his percentage chance of connecting with a shot.

Those combat situations will be immediately familiar to anyone who has played XCOM. The camera angle, the HUD, the movement grid - it all sits somewhere between ‘imitation as flattery’ and ‘he copied my homework’. But where Mutant: Year Zero diverges from Firaxis’ series is in how conflict crops up in the first place.

When exploring an environment, either in pre- or post-combat, you do so with free movement in real-time. You can trot your three-person squad around wherever you like without having to worry about turns or action points, and you can switch between characters as you wish. It’s only when you stray into the field of view of an enemy that the situation instantly (yes, there’s no loading screen) goes all XCOM-with-animals, with the game moving to its turn-based system until the battle is resolved.

This means that you are able to position your squad optimally around the combat zone before a firefight commences, giving yourself the best possible chance of being successful. However, if your top-hat-wearing duck, or your tempermental boar (Bormin), or your… human woman (Selma) are inadvertently caught exploring then it’s the enemy who will get the first turn.

Mutant%20Year%20Zero%20combat_0.jpg

This matters because, just as with the game’s obvious inspiration, it is supposed to be tough. While in the live demo we saw the climactic battle go pretty smoothly, the sense was that this was the exception rather than the rule - the phrase “fail to prepare, prepare to fail” was offered as more than empty cliche.

The story behind your anthropomorphised animal assault squad and their deeds is classic end-times fiction. Global economic crisis, rising international tensions, nukes dropped, and so on. The upshot is a ruined world partially reclaimed by nature and, of course, one remaining outpost of civilisation (it’s always just the one, isn’t it?). The Ark is that one outpost, and you and your team are Scavengers tasked with bringing back supplies to keep it running.

Mutant%20Year%20Zero%20setting.jpg

You revisit the Ark in between missions for upgrades, supplies, and general post-apocalyptic R&R, with the ultimate goal being to discover the Eden of the game’s subtitle - which is, presumably, a bit grander than a shanty town built on an oil rig.

Points for narrative originality are in short supply then. But where Mutant Year Zero intrigues is in the heritage of its team - developers The Bearded Ladies are staffed with former Io Interactive leads - and how its two gameplay styles are able to dovetail. The transition from real-time to turn-based is pleasingly smooth, and so the hope is that the former offers both increased tactical options for the latter, and a level of dynamism and exploration that fully turn-based games don’t allow for.

The team clearly has confidence - the XCOM comparisons aren’t just inferred, the series is namechecked liberally. This is a double-edged sword: the similarities have definitely garnered interest, and credit is due for building around that core combat mechanic rather than just swapping oversized talking animals in for elite human soldiers, but it is so easy to fall short of such a high bar. With the game due out later this year, we will know soon enough if the Bearded Ladies deserve a tip of the duck's top hat. Wow, that's a weird sentence to end on...

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It looks retarded but I want to play it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom