Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is a turn-based tactical adventure based on the Mutant tabletop RPG

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Funcom; Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden; The Bearded Ladies

Ever heard of the 1984 tabletop RPG Mutant, by Swedish publisher Target Games? No? Well neither had I until today. It's set in a Gamma World-like post-apocalyptic far future that features all manner of robots, mutated humans, and in particular, anthropomorphic animals. And in this strange new age of big budget turn-based RPG, it's getting a multiplatform video game adaptation this year, by a Swedish team who call themselves The Bearded Ladies. The game is called Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden, and it's described by publisher Funcom as a turn-based "tactical adventure game". That sure sounds like "RPG" to me, but they appear to be avoiding that label, perhaps because the game features fixed characters with no character creation. The new cinematic reveal trailer introduces three of those characters:

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is a tactical adventure game combining the turn-based combat of XCOM with story, exploration, stealth, and strategy. Take control of a team of Mutants navigating a post-human Earth. Created by a team including former HITMAN leads and the designer of PAYDAY.
    • TACTICAL COMBAT: Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden is the ultimate fix for your tactical strategy addiction. Dive into a deep, turn-based, tactical combat system inspired by the XCOM games.
    • EXPLORE A POST-HUMAN EARTH: Journey through a post-human world of abandoned cities, crumbling highways, and overgrown countryside. Check back at the Ark, a neon-bathed oasis of ill repute and questionable characters, to restock your supplies and plan out your next adventure.
    • CONTROL A TEAM OF MUTANTS: A duck with an attitude problem and a boar with anger issues; these aren’t your typical heroes. Get to know Dux, Bormin, Selma, and many other characters each with their own unique personality and deranged perspective on the world and their situation.
    • MASTER THE STEALTHY APPROACH: Sneak through shadows to avoid conflict or to catch enemies unaware. Real-time stealth allows you full control of approach: sneak into an enemy camp, position the team of Mutants to your advantage, and gain the element of surprise.
    • UNLOCK MUTATIONS: Unlock new mutations and abilities for your Mutants, such as Selma’s Stoneskin, Bormin’s Charge, and Dux‘ uncanny ability to sneak into a camp full of enemies unnoticed, despite being a 4-foot tall walking, talking duck with a crossbow.
    • DYNAMIC ENVIRONMENTS: Use the environment to your advantage. Stay out of floodlights, hide from line of sight, or just blast down fully destructible walls and buildings and wreak utter havoc.
    • LOOT, LOOT EVERYWHERE: From makeshift slingshots to high-powered rifles and top hats to police vests, make sure you equip your Mutants for the dangers ahead. Nothing says post-human quite like a mutated boar in spiked metal armor charging at you with a blunderbuss in his hands.
    Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden has an official website and a Steam page where you can find additional details and combat screenshots. Apparently we'll be seeing more of the game at this year's Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, on March 19-23.

• Brofist x 9
    • Informative x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • incline x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • :M x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    This has me slightly intrigued, we have to see some actually gameplay to see how the combat looks and how complex is it.

• Agree Agree x 7
    ^ Top  
  3. mustawd. Liturgist

mustawd.
    Parrots:
    +1

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • You're Fired! You're Fired! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    It's a duck-eat-pig world.

• Funny x 11
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Kitty x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Van-d-all Learned

Van-d-all
    Parrots:
    Somehow I have a feeling that by "inspired by XCOM" they mean the 2012 game.

• Despair x 5
    • Funny x 3
    • Yes x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • :( x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. SausageInYourFace Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Lets just hope it will include duck to human romances. Been waiting for that since I saw Howard the Duck as a kid.

• Funny x 9
    • :M x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Speaking of Howard the Duck, I have a theory that the Guardians of the Galaxy movies are single-handedly responsible for bringing back Beyond Good & Evil 2 - and perhaps for Biomutant and this game as well. #MakeFurriesGreatAgain

• Doggy x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Who knows, maybe this game will be closer to UFO 1994 than PP :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Van-d-all Learned

Van-d-all
    Parrots:
    Sadly, no. The screens are also out:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• decline decline x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    You guys when devs say "XCOM" nowadays they always mean the new one. Get real.

But it's not a particularly meaningful thing to say. XCOM:EU is just the go-to example for a turn-based tactics game that normies have heard of.

• Agree x 5
    • Despair x 4
    • :( x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    • decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    That UI looks K&M centric while current PP one is controller centric...

^ Top  
  12. mustawd. Liturgist

mustawd.
    Parrots:
    :negative:

^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    lol but this is an actual multiplatform/console game and PP isn't. If it's not controller-friendly enough they'll have to change it, no?

^ Top  
  14. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Maybe these guys understand that they need a specific UI for K&M if they want it to do well on PC. What do you think about this UnstableVoltage ?

• Edgy Edgy x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

I see Gamma World mutants obey the Oglaf rules of sexual dimorphism

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Cipher

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    Parrots:
    this actually looks pretty nice. I know its not gamma world, but I loved gamma world RPG back in the day...sort of reminds me of gamma world mixed with Runequest because of the duck..looks like an nu x-com thing, which is a good thing mostly IMO

^ Top  
  17. Abu Antar Arcane Patron

Abu Antar
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Divinity OS exploration with nu-XCOM combat? I see real time exploration with turn-based combat mentioned. We'll see what the rpg elements of this game are when they finally show some gameplay.

^ Top  
  18. Silva Magister

Silva
    Parrots:
    Curiosity: The trailer for the tabletop game..

• Informative Informative x 4
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Parrots:
    I'm a hog for tactical RPGs and post-apoc and this one looks pretty ducking interesting. I'm somewhat familiar with the setting, though I know more about Mutant Chronicles

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Azael Magister

Azael
    Parrots:
    Wasteland 2
    Not that familiar with Mutant: Year Zero. Mutant 2089(?), the cyberpunk version of the game was my staple PnP as a kid. Cautiously optimistic, though no chargen is always a big minus.

^ Top  
  21. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    So far there are movies only (plus a couple of screens) which doesn't bode well for a game scheduled for release this year. Also "loot, loot everywhere" is a decline (same for console release) and says a lot about creators and what they think is worth mentioning. Call me when there will be something substantial instead of this superficial crap.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Nazrim Eldrak Educated

Nazrim Eldrak
    Parrots:
    I think the pig and the duck were human once, because the pig tried to hide his nose when he saw himself in that hand mirror.
    I like the trailer,
    so I am a little bit hyped now:positive:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Silva Magister

Silva
    Parrots:
    The tabletop rpg is really neat in that it presentes 2 play cycles: one is the "Ark", a decrepit shelter holding the dying community the players are part of (that Yatch in the trailer) and where they live their everyday lives and, as important members, plan expeditions to scavenge and collect resources; and other cycle in the "Zone" proper, where they face dangerous situations to survice and accomplish the objectives planned earlier. As resources are collected, the players may opt to implement improvements in the Ark, going from better defenses, radios, survey teams, etc at first to farms, outposts, schools, government forms, etc later. And the game has neat rules for surviving out there in the zone, where each character role complement each other (the Stalker find better paths/avoid radiated areas, the Gearhead maintain their gear which decays with each use, the Scribe who can read signs and decifrer things and occasionaly tell stories to raise the group spirits, etc).

I imagined a videogame based on the game would be some kind of "apocalyptic King of Dragon Pass" or something, not a tactical combat game.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    lukaszek

explain yourself

^ Top  
  25. lukaszek Arcane

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    which part is not considered normal?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)