Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Incantatar

Cipher
Reading through it and it looks lighter than DCC, which is a big plus. The big minus is you actually have to read and use DCC too, for all the necessary rules. It says it's self containing but I don't think it is.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I really liked the Mutations spells. Reminds me of superheroes rpgs like GURPS Supers, but with the added randomness and danger in every roll that makes DCC stand out from so many numale milk-toast rpg systems of the new millenium, including d&d 5ed - even if I like that system, it's very "safe".

Groovy shit. God bless Joseph Goodman and his troop of veterans.

bryanpeddy

Novice
When I was 13-14, I found a big box of first-printing 2e AD&D shit at my local thrift store. core books, supplements, and a smattering of Dragon mags from '89 and way older. One had a few articles related to Metamorphosis Ultra and the original Gamma World. I remember reading that shit and wishing I could find copies of those games. I am so down with anything trying to recapture that particular flavor of genre RPG material. I have to hand it to them... even the cover art immediately evoked the same reaction from me as the illos from the Metamorphosis Alpha articles. I am definitely gonna check this out.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I really liked the Mutations spells. Reminds me of superheroes rpgs like GURPS Supers, but with the added randomness and danger in every roll that makes DCC stand out from so many numale milk-toast rpg systems of the new millenium, including d&d 5ed - even if I like that system, it's very "safe".

Groovy shit. God bless Joseph Goodman and his troop of veterans.

It's not even like DCC or MCC is super hard - as a player, you have a high chance of survival post level 0 and the game generally doesn't reccommend throwing a shitzillion enemies at you. Looking at a lot of the level 1-3 published adventures there's very little in the way of huge combats. It's not meant to punish whatsoever

I don't know, I read some adventures (I haven't played PnP irl in more than 10 years) and they look really deadly. Full of traps and bizarre enemies, at least the "bosses" of the adventure... I'll read a couple more to see if it was just a wrong impression. I also think the amusing fumbles in using magic are pretty amusing, as well as the critical tables.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
The Game Analists Same. Just downloaded the PDF and skimmed through it. Looks really good, rules and especially art -- quality that I would expect from Goodman Games. Did you get the leatherbound?

nikolokolus

Arcane
This makes me want resurrect my short-lived Anomolous Subsurface Environment PbP game and use MCC as the engine. So far it seems like a nice balance of familiar and new, compared to DCC.

Andhaira

Arcane
DCC is a great game and system, especially (and because of mainly) the patron rules. Makes it easy to run a sword and sorcery game in the vein of Moorcock's Young Kingdoms/Elric saga, where you spellcaster or warrior mage can call upon a patron for aid in the heat of combat.

MCC though not so sure. I have never really been a fan of post apoc, especially due to the anthropomorphic animals they insist on shoving down our throats as PC choices. Also in MCC they seemed to have ported the DCC ruleset wholescale, even the spell system and the patron system (patrons are reskinned as AIs) Still, I need to read through it to really see for myself, but I wish they had diverged a bit and gone with mutant powers only instead of similar spellcasting to DCC only reskinned. Or they could have stated right out that MCC takes place in a future in the DCC universe...

The best post apoc. Mutant rpg out there is, IMO the Mutant Epoch. Great art, and a very raw game and system.

Mutant Year Zero is good also; it's got great production values and a simple, tidy ruleset. Lacks the rawness of Mutant Epoch, but is far easier to run and play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom